• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row |OT| Woke me up, Santa Ileso

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The game refuses to import my character creation from The Boss thing.

Already off to a great start.

adamsapple

Can't you use the creation code?

Not sure, but I thought the whole point of the free boss maker app was that i can make it and the game will import it without fuss.

The game didn't want to even though I can see it as an option when making the character, so I had to make it from scratch all over again.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Finished the first 3 story missions.

No issues so far, started with 1440p High Quality but it goes below the VRR range in the open world driving areas, 1440p FPS seems to be working out great everywhere so far so gonna stick to that.

I am massively disappointed that they did not bring back a cockey accent for the voices.

ryantetric

Neo Member
Having a shitload of fun with it so far on PS5 co-op. Works really well. Everything has been smooth. Lots of funny shit has happened with the physics. The traffic is agressive as hell haha.

adamsapple

Ok, so some opinions after a couple of hours.

- Right now I'm just focusing on story content as I've heard there will be a point where you're gated and need to do some side stuff, so just doing straight story missions one after another.
- Because of the above, it seems I'm already on mission #16 of 36 the game has in total. That seems really small after maybe 3~4 hours of play.
- No game breaking bugs but I've seen a fair number of animation bugs, characters turning to T pose for a few seconds, NPCs "floating" on the road instead of walking normally, cars inexplicably jumping 40 ft in the air. The game needed a few more months.
- I can forgive the technical issues as a time thing, but the game just isn't that FUN to play so far. Saints 3 and 4 are very charming, the characters and writing is on point and just the sheer scenarios you do are fun to go through, this game is lacking that for the most part. The characters are mediocre, they take some wild turns, joking about killing people in one scene and moping about their past in the next.
- Graphically and performance wise I'm actually having a pretty decent time, I was expecting a shit show but it seems to be doing really well in the 1440p High FPS mode. I'm on a VRR display which is probably making it appear more responsive and 'smooth'.

If I were to stop playing it right now, I'd give it a 5/10.

Will try to get this done and dusted by the time my copy of Soul Hackers 2 ships and arrives.

GymWolf

64AewpI.jpg
She looks like 50 years old crack addicted elisabeth from bio infinite...

adamsapple

Whelp, looks like I've also run into the same bug Skill Up had in his video review, in a critical story mission I'm supposed to use a helicopter, but as soon as I enter, the camera zooms in 2000% for some reason and I am having an impossible time navigating.

Mossybrew

So, I haven't had a game-breaking bug in many hours of gameplay at this point. Bugs are a quality of life issue:

Top PS5 bugs:
- Co-Op partner frequently does not show up as an icon on minimap or main map, hard to find each other
- Jacket will disappear and need to be reapplied and re customized when trying on clothes at a shop
- Garage at church if you drive forward to leave will just take you back into garage

These are bugs that have constantly popped up, not just once or twice. Top things that are not bugs that bug me:

-WHY can't you fast travel to co-op partner on map? This should be standard
- Weird fuzziness to graphics, I don't even mind or notice pop in, but there is a weird fuzzy artifacting going on that really bugs me

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Another random complaint - my boss has super white skin, but anytime she's in a shadow or dark place her skin turns dark brown. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!) Just a weird graphical issue.

Mossybrew

Oh and Drawing Heat is the mission where you have to kill cops, and it spawns the second wave up on top of an overpass inaccessible during the mission. Pass on that one till they fix it.

Also it's kind a dumb if you're on a main mission, and traveling you can't stop and do any side activity, not dumpster dive, remove a threat, anything, you're locked out of it all.

I played a few hours and gave up. This game is joyless and devoid of fun. Shame, I loved the last few.

Last edited:
The game isn't really woke it's just targeting millennials a bit too much. I am having fun with it, it's not masterpiece by any stretch and it really just looks like an average looking PS4 game being played on PS5 but it's still fun and goofy without some of the totally dumb stuff they had before. I do hope one day they fix the way the cars load in and out of the scene, you can see for blocks, and nobody is coming but the second you turn the camera they load in right behind you and run you over. Pop in/fade in is also just as bad as it always was and there is really no excuse for that. This is a game that should be like $40-$50 and it would be totally reasonable.

Mossybrew

So I can safely say at this point that this is the buggiest console game Ive ever played, and I played many hours of Fallout 76 at launch, so that is a real feat. Many of the bugs have just been annoying or dumb but Im on the final larp mission and the game has completely crashed twice and once I got the bug where you cant shoot your guns. I aint tryin this shit a fourth time until a patch.

Other design complaints: you max out your character level way too fast if you are doing side activities, xp becomes pointless. Gun selection is incredibly weak once you realize thats all there is, and yes Ive gathered several of the quest unlocked weird guns. Gun customization is 90% dumb skins, the actual effective gun upgrades are just 3 basic levels of "gun get better for money" no customizing sights, magazines, anything of that nature. Im all for cosmetic stuff but this game could have greatly benefited from a deeper more granular gun upgrade system.

Anyway despite all that its a fairly fun dumb game. A lot of wasted potential and needed WAY more playtesting/bug killing time.

oji-san

Banned
Sorry for the bump, a quick question, what to spend money on? if i don't care about cars upgrades, and brought all the weapons i wanted and upgraded them to level 2.
Is all i left is upgrading the weapons to level 3?
Bought all the clothes etc i want and i'm at a point where i have 5 fully upgraded ventures, so buy the rest of them just for the missions they give? since money isn't an issue anymore, am i missing something? Thanks :)

wvnative

OMG!!!!!!! WTF?

Buddy and I decided to give it a go for Christmas, and at half off, we've had a lot of fun despite a few bugs.

But for reasons, I've had to play on PS4 until now. But apparently...

THERE'S NO SAVE TRANSFER TO PS5!!!!! WTF VOLITION?!

For any other game I'd let it slide, but this game is hideous on PS4

TuFaN

Am I wrong for thinking that Saints Row is the GTA out mothers promised us that we have at home? And as soon as we get home we realise that she tricked us and its nowhere near GTA levels ^^ haha

Top Bottom