• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row and Red Faction Will “Live on” Despite Volition Closure

Draugoth

Gold Member
While it remains to be seen whether the full suite of Volition’s IP will continue to have a future going forward, two of them certainly will in the form of Saints Row and Red Faction. The same was confirmed by Deep Silver – the publisher of both franchises – in a Twitter message following up on the announcement of Volition’s closure.

“Our thoughts go out to everyone at Volition, past and present. We’re incredibly grateful for their unforgettable work on Saints Row and Red Faction, whose IPs will live on at PLAION.”

Incidentally, it was announced by Embracer Group earlier in 2023 that by next year, three of its publishing labels will be merged into PLAION, with Deep Silver being one among them.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Red Factions gimmick was the insane destruction but other than that, it was kinda average. Saints Row was the edgy GTA and it worked well back then with 2 and 3 but you could tell they had no idea what to do with the IP. Remaking the first two would've been good for nostalgia tho and thats about it. They should've made something original other than generic open world trash.

Stuart360

Both games could have potential futures, but in this current world who really wants them.
If the Saints Row reboot is anyhting to go by, just let th the games rest in piece.

LRKD

Ehh, as publisher Deep Silver had to approve all of the dogshit problems with the "Saints Row" reboot game, maybe even mandated it. I don't think this is at all good news. I'd be much happier hearing them say that Saints Row, and Red Faction will never receive a game again. Although I suppose perhaps maybe they'd learn a lesson from this, who knows.

NeoGiffer

images

boxes-check.gif

fatmarco

The reality is that while IP's can remain as relevant and valuable as ever going into the future, the development teams behind them change over time and almost invariably become either worse, or at the very least inconsistent with the identities of the games they were once so tied to, so it's probably for the best that completely new developers, ones more suited to the project, take over after a while.

See the likes of Dice, Bioware, Ubisoft, Konami etc. for case studies of studios or publishers whose identities changed to such a degree that they were (or are) completely incapable of recreating the magic they once did, and are only the same companies in name only.

Saints Row 22 was a great example of why you often don't want old IP being rebooted by the "same" company that made it, because Volition at this point were a company who, at a technical level, were incapable of creating an improved sequel, and were also at cultural level completely opposed to what "Saints Row" was all about.

Bridges

Saints Row 22 was a great example of why you often don't want old IP being rebooted by the "same" company that made it, because Volition at this point were a company who, at a technical level, were incapable of creating an improved sequel, and were also at cultural level completely opposed to what "Saints Row" was all about.
Yeah I can't help but agree. It makes me think of all the talk about how Voilition was "making the Saints Row that they wanted to make" but clearly they did not want to make a Saints Row. Unfortunately for them it seems likely that Saints Row as a brand will have a brighter future without them. You need a team that has reverence for what the games originally were, not a team that is embarrassed of the source material and feels the need to "adapt it to the times". Feels like this is happening a lot these days in Hollywood, but some other games like Dead Rising have suffered this as well.

Salz01

Saints Row is free this week on PS. And I’m still not going to bother and waste my bandwidth downloading it.

Top Bottom