• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV Review Thread

Good reviews. Hype is near critical levels, hope I don't end up over-hyping myself only to be disappointed...

I thought that I would end up doing that, due to my extreme love for Saints Row 1 and 2 and my partial disappointment with Saints Row The Third (mostly for story reasons), but many of the terrific reviews are mentioning how much improved the storytelling is over 3.

I've been on the hype train, but I just upgraded my ticket ;)

All I need to know is whether I can dunk my Crackdown balls in this.

Or is it better suited to the dunking of Infamous balls, or even Prototype balls?

I need to know about the balls.

FHIZ

Fast forwarded on the Giant Bomb quick look to the PC version and now I'm depressed... slumming it on the 360.

Note to self: When financially able, just take the plunge and build a gaming PC.

Glad to see it's getting mostly great reviews. Got mad pre-cum yo.
oh-boy.gif

Thanks for the voucher code, bought from the green man. Didn't even know if I would purchase, but seeing that the PC version is good and the traversal is as good/better than Crackdown, I'm most certainly in.

Shacknews uses scores now, actually. If they aren't going to summarize their review with a score, then I'm glad someone else did it for them.
Wow, I'm out of touch. Either way you're essentially putting words in their mouth. If RPS wanted to put a simple word system like Kotaku's "play/don't play" system they would have. A select quote/closing sentence should suffice.

We should make "pre-cum" the official replacement for "hype". As in, "these reviews are making my pre-cum meter go through the roof" and "I've got tickets for the pre-cum train"

Then "premature ejaculation" can be used to describe failed hype i.e. every Nintendo Direct thread.

It's encouraging to see Edge give this a positive score really.

Darklord

Banned
When this comes out I'll need someone from America to gift me a copy. Fuck playing with other Australians, I want my uncensored version.

Ploid 3.0

All I need to know is whether I can dunk my Crackdown balls in this.

Or is it better suited to the dunking of Infamous balls, or even Prototype balls?

I need to know about the balls.

Apparently tree set of balls, you're Dr. Manhattan, I'm sure you can create the extra 2 sets somehow.

Rather than simply rip off other games, however, Volition has carefully cherry-picked and refined the very best ideas from the leading sandbox games on the market -- the criminal freedom of Grand Theft Auto, the wall-running and super speed of Prototype, the energetic powers of inFAMOUS, the explorative collection quests of Crackdown, and Saints Row's characteristic nonsense have been beautifully distilled and mixed to create the ultimate tribute to everything open world games have been this generation.

http://youtu.be/6zTyu2pC8l4

I wonder if it fixed the performance issues some people were having with The Third. (I get 30fps or even less sometimes with an OCed FX-8320 (4.5GHz) and Radeon HD 7950)

Apparently tree set of balls, you're Dr. Manhattan, I'm sure you can create the extra 2 sets somehow.

Rather than simply rip off other games, however, Volition has carefully cherry-picked and refined the very best ideas from the leading sandbox games on the market -- the criminal freedom of Grand Theft Auto, the wall-running and super speed of Prototype, the energetic powers of inFAMOUS, the explorative collection quests of Crackdown, and Saints Row's characteristic nonsense have been beautifully distilled and mixed to create the ultimate tribute to everything open world games have been this generation.

So, its a mix of all three? I'm more than OK with that.

ibgfWjGcJV73Vv.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Comparison scores from Edge:
SR - 6
SR2 - 5
SR3 - 6
Ugh please don't infer this type of stuff. That's not why people read RPS or Shacknews reviews.

Uh, the tone of the review was positive and not inferred being that it ended with:

"Games have the ability to let us live out such mad, explosive, eccentric nonsense, and yet they almost never do. Saints Row IV does, and that makes it incredibly special. That it does it with such panache, such ease, and such ceaselessly entertaining humour, makes it simply one of the most fun games I’ve ever played."

Not sure what the problem is...

Uh, the tone of the review was positive and not inferred being that it ended with:

"Games have the ability to let us live out such mad, explosive, eccentric nonsense, and yet they almost never do. Saints Row IV does, and that makes it incredibly special. That it does it with such panache, such ease, and such ceaselessly entertaining humour, makes it simply one of the most fun games I’ve ever played."

I agree with DeadlyCyclone. How could you not infer that review as positive?

I don't have a problem with the definition of positive. I take objection with it having to summed up in a single word, as if people can't be bothered to read the text. Sorry but it's as dumb as Metacritic turning an A+ into an 80 or a C into a 60. Let the review speak for itself as it is presented.

ShinMaruku

From what I have played and seen this will probably be my game of the year.
(Never liked GTA, Bioshock had so so shooting and the las tof US is not quite as fun as this)

Tucah

you speak so well
Seems like this game is exactly what I hoped it would be and I couldn't be more excited. Six days!

Does anyone know if this game retains the experience/upgrade system from The Third? So I'll be able to become invincible again and have fun?

The 360 version gets only 3 stars from Giant Bomb.

JxnwAKb.png

+1 respect for giantbomb then (now at 1 respect from neutral:p)
game junnalists need to start holding developers accountable for managing the incredible feat of incompetence of releasing a game that runs at sub 30 fps on a closed platform that hasn't changed for the past 8 years.

Salsa

incredible that it lived up to 3, being set in pretty much the same location and built in the same engine and all, fast dev cycle too

glad for those guys, and cant wait for the game

I cannot understand why so many people seem to think this series is so great.

To me, its always been the poor man's GTA.

Plus they just keep banging out the same crap over and over and people eat it up, but then AT THE SAME TIME, give games series like CoD crap about being rehashes.

Maybe, this one is different. I bought SR3 at a STEAM sale for cheap though and still felt let down.

mollipen

I played and reviewed the Xbox 360 version, and I don't know... other than a small handful of times when the on-screen chaos made the engine chug for a moment or two, I never really felt like my experience wasn't good.

I'm not a PC gamer, so I can't compare to that experience, but I definitely didn't feel like the game was struggling to do what it wanted to do.

I don't know about the series, but at least with SR3 the reason I thought it was great was it offered pure, mindless fun. At no point in that game did it ever try to take itself too seriously, and I like playing games from time to time which can accomplish that. How many video games have a mini game where you
ride around in a car with a fucking tiger to build your courage!

Plus they just keep banging out the same crap over and over and people eat it up, but then AT THE SAME TIME, give games series like CoD crap about being rehashes.

Maybe, this one is different. I bought SR3 at a STEAM sale for cheap though and still felt let down.

Wha?

Saints Row 1 - I'll give you that it was trying to get GTA's audience and is the worst Saints Row (although I still love it), but it still had brand new things like the crazy fun Insurance Fraud, more customization of the main character (which, at the time, was not as common as it is in games today), and a great cast of characters (with equally great voice acting).

Saints Row 2 - Even more crazy activities and side quests, tons more customization, more great new characters (Shaundi and Maero, for example), a balance of humor and seriousness (see the Red Asphalt mission for seriousness or Bad Trip for humor). A fully fleshed out city with tons of secrets and easter eggs.

Saints Row the Third - While many people don't think it quite compares to SR2 (myself included), it still evolved the series to a point where I find it impossible to say it is a GTA clone. Way more crazy vehicles (hover bikes), awesome weapon upgrades (exploding bullets, fire bullets, etc.), and extremely over the top (but fun) missions including zombies, high tech military enemies, and big "Brutes."

Saints Row IV - C'mon. The superpowers aren't enough to differentiate from GTA?

Even the smallest evolution in the series, which was from 1 to 2, still produced enough new stuff (while at the same time greatly improving the old) to not be accused of "banging out the same crap over and over."

jediyoshi

Did you just not play SR2? Resembles mechanically or visually nothing like SR3, it may as well be as big as the deviation from GTA3 to 4.

And at this point GTA has beaten its horse a million times over between each iteration as compared to the SR series. Between GTA3, SA, VC, and then GTA4 to the episodes, they've had way less releases using the same base. I don't think 'poor man' means what you think it means if it's predicated on the idea that there's some kind of semblance between the two series at this point.

gotta love how in a review thread. people are complaining about how SR4 is just a poor mans gta clone.

poor games journalists... all those words wasted.

Top Bottom