• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV Review Thread

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Oof...watched the GB QL and man the 360 version really has troubles handling this game. Not certain what I saw inspired me much to purchase either. Just a very loose playground with decent humor and zero challenge. Seems like a perfect Steam Sale candidate.

Xenugears

Neo Member
It's been a long time since a good open world superhero game came out. Prototype 2 didn't even come close. SR4 seems like the perfect note to end summer on.

Stitch

Gold Member
Did the AMD GPU performance issues get fixed in SRIV?

It wasn't really an AMD problem. Some people with Nvidia Cards had them too.

TotalBiscuit mentioned that he had some heavy slowdowns and he's running 2 Titans...

What I've seen so far really looks a mod or DLC that was heavily "inspired" by Prototype and Crackdown...

Was pretty worried about this title given its relatively short development cycle and the THQ/Deep Silver transition, but this gives back confidence and hype. Can't wait to get my GOTG edition.

pahamrick

SR: The Third ran fine on a reference 6870. So...it was fixed in the previous game.

Except for those where it didn't run fine. I've got crossfire 5870s and until the very latest beta drivers I barely managed 30fps while driving / flying / outside, no matter the settings or resolution.

Now I average around 40-44fps maxed at 1080p 8x AA where I could turn down / off everything and still only get 27-33fps at 720p.

Ploid 3.0

Oof...watched the GB QL and man the 360 version really has troubles handling this game. Not certain what I saw inspired me much to purchase either. Just a very loose playground with decent humor and zero challenge. Seems like a perfect Steam Sale candidate.

I'm wondering how much of that is due to the fact they played a good PC version. I'm very happy it runs great on PC vs poor PC ports that make the console versions of game look great in comparison. SR2 ran pretty bad on PC, GTA4 ran bad on PC, the difinitive version of NFS Most Wanted is Wii when the PC version exist (I own the PC version :( ), Skyrim held back on PC with bland console textures and other console limitations. The game lets you speed around in a open world with a lot of stuff around you though, it probably couldn't be helped. Maybe they can do something to clean that up. SR2 and GTA4 didn't run PC good on my PS3 so I'm not surprised.

Again they may be too high on the PC version, PC versions of games can really spoil your console experience of that same game especially if it's in a short time span. I pretty much play on PC exclusively now, I second thought getting Dragon's Crown because there's no PC version and I'd have to play it on PS3. It get's pretty bad, PC is a monster. I wouldn't want to compare my PC to the one Giant Bomb use either. A few more days to see how this thing runs, though I will have the luxury of upgrading and actually getting something out of extra power.

NZNova

I want this game, but I own Saints Row 3 and haven't played that yet. Come to think of it, I haven't really played my copy of SR2 yet. Or, um, SR1. Fuck. BRB

SlickVic

I'm pretty impressed with the reviews. I expected the game would be fun, but I figured it would get docked heavily for feeling too much like an expansion pack and not a proper sequel. I'm sure a lot of people will still treat this game as Saints Row 3.5, and to an extent, this probably isn't entirely wrong. The game does borrow a lot of stuff from SR3 and some probably won't get past that fact. All the same, the reviews makes the game sound genuinely humorous, the super powers are fun, the story missions are varied and well designed, and much of the side content is enjoyable and worth doing. Expansion pack or not, its sounds like a good time and I look forward to playing it.

Arsenic13

Boss Dungeon (9.5)

What once started as a gritty but satirical take on gang violence and urban culture has not just become an over-the-top video game with superpowers, it has also become a developer’s magnum opus …. with anal probes and casual spaceship sex with anyone and everyone.

If The Last of Us is regarded as the Citizen Kane of gaming by critics, then there is no doubt that Saints Row IV is the Pootie Tang of gaming.

http://bossdungeon.com/review-saints-row-iv/

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
It angers me to no end that this game comes out on the 20th. Why not tomorrow the 16th or the 17th so I can play all weekend. Who's big idea was to release it on a freaking Tuesday?

Ploid 3.0

I remember seeing stuff on being able to power punch and kick people but I don't remember what video it was, but the intro to this video shows him kicking a person pretty high before it cut to show the person hitting a building. If the kick can't reach a building across the street it's a bit misleading, but I really vaguely remember being able to kick a person sky high (not counting the anal probe thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iU6xoRYIWRg&t=12

TotalBiscuit WTFis... : Saints Row 4
http://youtu.be/rJGMUjdm794

Domstercool

Here is my own unprofessional view on Saints Row IV. :)

http://darkzero.co.uk/game-reviews/saints-row-iv-pc/

Saints Row IV is a fantastic title that feels like the developers were never restricted from creating their own vision. The game doesn’t do anything innovative, but that doesn’t stop Saints Row IV from being an amazing amount of fun with a mechanically solid game behind all that goofy show. Grand Theft Auto should never be mentioned in the same line as Saints Row IV, because those games have become so vastly different that they aren’t even competing with each other any more. This is a video game that knows it’s a video game, kicking any sort of realism in the balls and letting the player go wild within the confounds of the sandbox. You want a quality superhero video game? Then here is your title. Saints Row IV jacks up the action, pumps up the silly, but above all, doesn’t lose sight of what makes a game play superbly, and that, Mr President, is how you make an awesome video game.

TaroYamada

I remember seeing stuff on being able to power punch and kick people but I don't remember what video it was, but the intro to this video shows him kicking a person pretty high before it cut to show the person hitting a building. If the kick can't reach a building across the street it's a bit misleading, but I really vaguely remember being able to kick a person sky high (not counting the anal probe thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iU6xoRYIWRg&t=12

TotalBiscuit WTFis... : Saints Row 4
http://youtu.be/rJGMUjdm794

Isn't TB wrong in this video? He says your homies cannot keep up with you because they are in a car and don't have superpowers but at some point can't you begin granting powers to some of your homies?

winstano

Isn't TB wrong in this video? He says your homies cannot keep up with you because they are in a car and don't have superpowers but at some point can't you begin granting powers to some of your homies?

Side quests unlock super homies, so yes.

That, and if you get to a mission objective, your homies will usually spawn near you if you've leapt ahead. Unless you're required to protect them, in which case you get a warning as soon as you leave the area

flippeh

SR: The Third ran fine on a reference 6870. So...it was fixed in the previous game.

I wish it was fixed :(

Had some issues on a 5870. Upgraded to a 7950 and still experienced similar issues.

Hopefully SR4 fares better, but in any event I'm still hyped after skimming a few reviews.

Ploid 3.0

It's TB, he's wrong about a lot of stuff. Still good to see different views on the game though.

Top Bottom