• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryder Cup 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemm

chanting USA USA is obnoxious but understood and expected and harmless enough. Shouting "you're mad at your father", "you're a midget", "suck a dick" and just now someone shouting out as Europe was about to putt "Justin you're in the way" is fucking awful.

I agree with this but maybe you're looking at it the wrong way. It's not cheering that a Euro ball went in the water, it's cheering that the home team isn't losing a hole. Yeah there will be a handful of stragglers that don't get how things work and yell out something stupid, but a majority of the fans are cheering that they're getting a point.

As for the loudness and obnoxiousness, Minnesota is a state in the north midwest of the country. The last time a PGA Tour event was held here was the 2009 PGA Championship. The fans up here are golf starved, so a certain amount of fan craziness is to be expected.

Get out of here, you are dead wrong. Your fans have been an utter disgrace today and an embarrassment to the sport. Some of the nonsense that's occurred has been horrendous. The post above detailing abuse shouted is vile.

brerwolfe

Get out of here, you are dead wrong. Your fans have been an utter disgrace today and an embarrassment to the sport. Some of the nonsense that's occurred has been horrendous. The post above detailing abuse shouted is vile.
Yeah, the post above came after I made my statement. As I said, a large majority of the fans are respectful to the opposing side, then there are the vocal minority that you hear when everyone else is quiet.

Honestly, I kinda wish they didn't serve alcohol at events like these.

Yeah I can't co-sign how the crowd's acting now.

Valhalla was bad at times, but it was generally within the bounds of a standard Ryder Cup crowd.

They've taken it a few notches too far at Hazeltine this week.

I'm okay with post-shot as long as it's kept clean and appropriate (and there have been more than a few occasions where it wasn't this week). Yelling and jeering pre-shot is totally unacceptable.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
chanting USA USA is obnoxious but understood and expected and harmless enough. Shouting "you're mad at your father", "you're a midget", "suck a dick" and just now someone shouting out as Europe was about to putt "Justin you're in the way" is fucking awful.

yeah, this. I don't mind the USA USA stuff, that's pretty normal, it's everything else that's been dreadful. I can't recall an event where the players got so much abuse before.

Yeah, the post above came after I made my statement. As I said, a large majority of the fans are respectful to the opposing side, then there are the vocal minority that you hear when everyone else is quiet.

Honestly, I kinda wish they didn't serve alcohol at events like these.

Lovely, cheering for somebody putting a ball in the water now.

brerwolfe

Lovely, cheering for somebody putting a ball in the water now.
Rory and Cabrera Bello have addressed it in the media center, I'm not pulling these statements out of my ass. Cabrera Bello today said 99.9% of the fans are being respectful, with .1% of them not understanding the values and sportsmanship of golf.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if they started throwing people out. Don't mistake my statement as defense for a bunch of ass hats.

Rory and Cabrera Bello have addressed it in the media center, I'm not pulling these statements out of my ass. Cabrera Bello today said 99.9% of the fans are being respectful, with .1% of them not understanding the values and sportsmanship of golf.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if they started throwing people out. Don't mistake my statement as defense for a bunch of ass hats.

I'm not. They're pricks. You shouldn't cheer for balls in the water regardless.

Get the fuck in, huge point.

boxter432

Cheering when a EU player hits a ball into the water is not very respectful.
I'll make sure not to cheer when Eli throws an incomplete pass against the Vikings on MNF as to not disrespect him.

On a normal tourney these same fans would be cheering for great shots from all players. This isn't a normal tourney. The few yelling dumb things sucks but cheering for mistakes is awesome and part of the fun.

Mascot

Yeah, some of the USA supporters are being nationalistic pricks. Show some fucking respect for a sport you profess to love.

Mascot

Whoever picked those white trousers for the US team must have a soft spot for Lady Di.
9cc3c58fb4fefc41904a940b7f5c5342.jpg

You can tell what religion some of these players are when back lit against the setting sun.

Ian

Patrick Reed is on fire. Speith is playing like I do lol

The singles tomorrow are going to be interesting, I hope Reed and McIlroy are paired.

boxter432

Fairways hit has to be a super low %age
Terrible drives by Holmes and Moore. You got a gift from Westwood and just need to half 18. Dumb.
Yeah nice answer Phil! Reed dormie!

3Sixty

Reed looks like he should be in the crowd shotgunning coors light and making homophobic remarks to the Europeans

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Having Spieth play as badly as he is and still being 3 up is a testament to how well Reed is playing.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's very rare I can say this truthfully about any professional sport (this might be the first time?), but: I could (probably) have done that.

Ian

Do high profile Golf tournaments always have crowds this rowdy? It doesn't match the sport, imo.

There's always more of an atmosphere for the Ryder Cup than for a normal golf tournament. I personally love it, but telling Rory to suck a dick was a step too far imo lol

boxter432

Do high profile Golf tournaments always have crowds this rowdy? It doesn't match the sport, imo.
Stay away from the Phoenix open.
I think this is great. The couple people yelling stupid things pre-shot sucks, but if you don't think the roars and chants after big shots and shanks isn't fun, sports aren't for you. Even the players on both sides are in to it big time and it's pumping them up (Rory/reed) or perhaps crushing them (Westwood lol)

And yes, they are selling 24oz big can beers.

brerwolfe

This tournament and Waste Management Phoenix Open. And I guess the Presidents Cup as it's USA vs the World. Like someone else mentioned, usually the people are cheering for great shots from Rory/Stenson/any other guy. It's just that it's a team format that they're getting all riled up and frenzied. Plus alcohol.

brerwolfe

There's always more of an atmosphere for the Ryder Cup than for a normal golf tournament. I personally love it, but telling Rory to suck a dick was a step too far imo lol
According to Golf Digest Rory said "If you wanna back that up, I'm right here" before security hauled the guy off hahahah. I love that Rory is fiery.

Phenomenal golf from America to protect and extend their lead going into the singles. The final day pairings is traditionally USA's strong point, but anything can happen tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom