• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryder Cup 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKK

Awesome photos, the Ryder Cup was held a stones throw from where I grew up a few years ago. Unfortunately I was living overseas at the time. Was gutted that I missed going there :(.

brerwolfe

I'm not from Minnesota but man am I glad the Ryder Cup is being held in a place with such beautiful weather. I live in Orlando, and I'm a freelance TV camera op for PGA Tour, and nearly every week I'm out sweating my ass off in weather that's way hotter than it has any business being.

You still have time to get here Sunday!

BKK

I'm not from Minnesota but man am I glad the Ryder Cup is being held in a place with such beautiful weather. I live in Orlando, and I'm a freelance TV camera op for PGA Tour, and nearly every week I'm out sweating my ass off in weather that's way hotter than it has any business being.

You still have time to get here Sunday!

HA! I knew your pics looked professional, well done!

People always tend to moan about weather that they're not used to (used to that after living in a tropical country), but then you always moan when you're back at home in the winter. I think the only lesson I've learned about that is that nowhere is perfect, but if the weather is good enough to play Golf, then it's probably not too bad :p

My only advice is to wear comfortable shoes, you'll be doing a lot of walking. Hopefully the ground dries out by Sunday because there are way too many muddy areas in the lower areas of the course.

If you plan to by merch, come early and get your stuff. Majors and Ryder Cups start running low on merchandise by Saturday afternoon, and by Sunday afternoon maybe you'll be able to find a belt buckle.

Otherwise, like someone else said, don't be a knucklehead. There's nothing wrong with cheering hard for your team, but rooting against the other side is bad form (like calling for balls to go in the trees or water).

Thanks for the heads-up on the merch. I was hoping to get a polo shirt. I'm sure it will be $200, but how else will strangers know I was there?

brerwolfe

That first hole competition, holy shit at both squads. Massive putt for Pieters considering Fowler's putt just before.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I started watching golf this year so this is the first Ryder Cup I've watched. Are the crowds always this lively during the Ryder Cup?

brerwolfe

I started watching golf this year so this is the first Ryder Cup I've watched. Are the crowds always this lively during the Ryder Cup?
Yes, absolutely. Some crowds are nastier than others, but they're all pretty massive and patriotic.

The European Team didn't particularly care for the 2008 crowd in Louisville. They were described as being hostile toward European players, and there's no reason for that.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

The American home crowds are generally rowdier. Whether you think this adds atmosphere or is a sign of boorish jingoism is up for debate.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like so much depends on Snedeker/Koepka v Stenson/Fitzpatrick. If they can turn it around, then Europe will have all the momentum and the US will really be rocking. If it remains a narrow lead, then the 2-2 split has to look pretty disappointing for Europe after the heroics yesterday and the US really doesn't need to be given confidence, they're probably narrowly the better team.

Beefy

I feel like so much depends on Snedeker/Koepka v Stenson/Fitzpatrick. If they can turn it around, then Europe will have all the momentum and the US will really be rocking. If it remains a narrow lead, then the 2-2 split has to look pretty disappointing for Europe after the heroics yesterday and the US really doesn't need to be given confidence, they're probably narrowly the better team.

Even all square will be ok in that match.

3Sixty

cautiously optimistic for the singles. A few of these USA players are being carried in the team match ups

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
cautiously optimistic for the singles. A few of these USA players are being carried in the team match ups

Really? I'd have said the other way round...

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Garcia and Bello on fire now!

Amazed that Spieth's put didn't drop, and Reed's on the previous hole.

Zemm

This is the most obnoxious and annoying crowd I've heard in a sporting event. Just the worst kind of people.

This is the most obnoxious and annoying crowd I've heard in a sporting event. Just the worst kind of people.

I think they're contractually obligated to chant "U! S! A! U! S! A!" after every American takes a shot, that and cheer every EU mistake.

I know Ryder Cup crowds can get lively but this lot just seem a bit crass.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I do want to check myself because it can get quite easy to get snooty about these things as a European, but...

...the American crowd is a bunch of fucking irritating arseholes, right?

Piecake

I do want to check myself because it can get quite easy to get snooty about these things as a European, but...

Eh, one golfing event out of the year where fans act like sports fans instead of art museum goers is fine.

It might be rather shocking when you compare it to other golfing events, but it really isn't when you compare it to football fans at a football match.

Nope. They're intelligent and both respect the sport while reveling in it.

Not everyone needs to watch golf like they've got a stick up their ass. Deal with it.

Beefy

Eh, one golfing event out of the year where fans act like sports fans instead of art museum goers is fine.

It might be rather shocking when you compare it to other golfing events, but it really isn't when you compare it to football fans at a football match.

I still call it over the top.

brerwolfe

Cheering when a EU player hits a ball into the water is not very respectful.
I agree with this but maybe you're looking at it the wrong way. It's not cheering that a Euro ball went in the water, it's cheering that the home team isn't losing a hole. Yeah there will be a handful of stragglers that don't get how things work and yell out something stupid, but a majority of the fans are cheering that they're getting a point.

As for the loudness and obnoxiousness, Minnesota is a state in the north midwest of the country. The last time a PGA Tour event was held here was the 2009 PGA Championship. The fans up here are golf starved, so a certain amount of fan craziness is to be expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom