• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryder Cup 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

HNGC_RyderCup_logo.jpg

Score:
CtyqtG0UsAAV4EZ.jpg

_91494592_rydercupoverallscore_bbcsport.jpg

What is The Ryder Cup:

The Ryder Cup is a biennial men's golf competition between teams from Europe and the United States. The competition is contested every two years with the venue alternating between courses in the United States and Europe. The Ryder Cup is named after the English businessman Samuel Ryder who donated the trophy. The event is jointly administered by the PGA of America and Ryder Cup Europe, the latter a joint venture of the PGA European Tour (60%), the PGA of Great Britain and Ireland (20%), and the PGA of Europe (20%).[1] Silversmith Thomas Lyte became an official supplier of Ryder Cup trophies and awards in 2008, including two-third size replicas of the trophy, awarded to the players and management of the team.[2]

Originally contested between Great Britain and the United States, the first official Ryder Cup took place in 1927 at Worcester Country Club, in Massachusetts, US. The home team won the first five contests, but with the competition's resumption after the Second World War, repeated American dominance eventually led to a decision to extend the representation of "Great Britain and Ireland" to include continental Europe from 1979. The inclusion of continental European golfers was partly prompted by the success of a new generation of Spanish golfers, led by Seve Ballesteros and Antonio Garrido. In 1973 the official title of the British Team had been changed from "Great Britain" to "Great Britain and Ireland", but this was simply a change of name to reflect the fact that golfers from the Republic of Ireland had been playing in the Great Britain Ryder Cup team since 1953, while Northern Irish players had competed since 1947.

Since 1979, Europe has won ten times outright and retained the Cup once in a tied match, with seven American wins over this period. In addition to players from Great Britain and Ireland, the European team has included players from Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Sweden. The Ryder Cup, and its counterpart the Presidents Cup, remain exceptions within the world of professional sports because the players receive no prize money despite the contests being high-profile events that bring in large amounts of money in television and sponsorship revenue.[3]

The current holders are Europe who won for the third successive time at the Gleneagles Hotel in Perth & Kinross, Scotland in 2014. The 2016 Ryder Cup is being played at Hazeltine National Golf Club in Chaska, Minnesota from September 30 to October 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryder_Cup

The Captains:
Davis Love III (USA)
Darren Clarke (Europe)

First day:

Morning Foursomes:

Result:
_91466155_rydercupscores_bbcsport.jpg

Afternoon Fourball:

Result:
_91469297_rydercupscores_bbcsport.jpg

Day 2:

Morning Foursomes:

Results:
_91486485_rydercupscores_bbcsport.jpg

Afternoon Fourball:
_91487653_rydercupscores_bbcsport.jpg

Day 3

Singles:
_91494594_rydercupscores_bbcsport.jpg

Ruruja

Disappointingly inactive thread. :(

I guess golf really is dying.

Nice OP anyways.

I reckon USA will win this one, I'd have said there was a chance of another European comeback but there's no Ian Poulter this time, so nevermind.

Jerm411

2-0 early, great start...had to get off to a fast start this morning.

Phil/Fowler vs. Rory/Sullivan is a nutty match...

U2NUMB

Not really a golf fan but man it's all over here... The twin cities have the fever. Hope it goes well... Hope we end up being good hosts.

hoping to see brooks and moore in the four-ball this afternoon

edit: lets go bk! can't wait to hear what kind of heckling gets into willetts head

weekev

Banned
Wow, well done Team USA, looks like Europe is gonna need another spectacular comeback. Final day magic on the cards. Come on Europe!!

Get in Europe, keep it up.

On another note, some American folk (Obviously not all) really are insufferable morons aren't they. Some of the crap being shouted is embarrassing.

3Sixty

Get in Europe, keep it up.

On another note, some American folk (Obviously not all) really are insufferable morons aren't they. Some of the crap being shouted is embarrassing.

American golf crowds are known to.be terrible.

Happy Gilmore was basically a documentary

Kifimbo

Even if it ended 4-0, this morning was more interesting because some matches were close. Now not one of them is even competitive.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Kinda glad I missed the early matches if the US swept... Looking better now tho.

215 yards, 3 out of 4 balls within 2 yards of the hole, pretty impressive.

And yeah, US fans, at least the loud ones, have always been pretty obnoxious.

I'll be at this thing Sunday. Anyone here been to a PGA event before? Any advice? If it's already a blowout, maybe I'll just get drunk and create an international incident.

BKK

I'll be at this thing Sunday. Anyone here been to a PGA event before? Any advice? If it's already a blowout, maybe I'll just get drunk and create an international incident.

Just don't pick up the ball! Seen that so many times recently ... crazy.

Cue Peter Willet rant ...

To be fair, 90% are good, it's just the 10% which are loudest.

Peter Willet is an absolute idiot as well. No only was it totally uncalled for, he's a professional journalist. How clueless can you be?

90% was obviously an overstatement, but a good majority were bad today. Screaming and cheering for balls in the water and missed putts is not what golf is about. At one point your own fans even started putting off Spieth for fuck sake. Like, really!? Assuming you're American this is...haha.

Beefy

Actually just punch this guy.
CtnI8nvWYAEiIF1.jpg

Some guy from One Direction

He's fucking up the Ryder Cup timeline on Twitter because of fan girls.

Actually just punch this guy.
CtnI8nvWYAEiIF1.jpg

Some guy from One Direction

He's fucking up the Ryder Cup timeline on Twitter because of fan girls.

But, also, he's drawing people into watching at a time when golf is on a decline. As much as he was a knob, since OD have finished he's actually been on the down low, and does love golf. So he's actually grown in my estimation.

BKK

Peter Willet is an absolute idiot as well. No only was it totally uncalled for, he's a professional journalist. How clueless can you be?

90% was obviously an overstatement, but a good majority were bad today. Screaming and cheering for balls in the water and missed putts is not what golf is about. At one point your own fans even started putting off Spieth for fuck sake. Like, really!? Assuming you're American this is...haha.

Yeah, it's bad form, but like I said, the loudest 10%. Still, I think it's counter-productive and hypes up the Europeans more.

Not my fans BTW, cheering on Team Europe here :p

Empty

terrible terrible start to the day but earned some respect back later

think usa will win just because they want it so much more. would love to shut up the crowd wankers though :)

BKK

terrible terrible start to the day but earned some respect back later

think usa will win just because they want it so much more. would love to shut up the crowd wankers though :)

Disagree, just checked my Paddy Power account and had £30 there, put it on Europe @ 11/4. US are 5/2 on, so it looks like they agree with you :p

Beefy

But, also, he's drawing people into watching at a time when golf is on a decline. As much as he was a knob, since OD have finished he's actually been on the down low, and does love golf. So he's actually grown in my estimation.

I was joking about him tbh. Just the crazy fan girls that are annoying.

BKK

Anyway, I guess that the number of replies in this thread after US went 4-0 up shows how much Americans care about the Ryder Cup (is it even publicised outside of golfing-centric media there?).

brerwolfe

My only advice is to wear comfortable shoes, you'll be doing a lot of walking. Hopefully the ground dries out by Sunday because there are way too many muddy areas in the lower areas of the course.

If you plan to by merch, come early and get your stuff. Majors and Ryder Cups start running low on merchandise by Saturday afternoon, and by Sunday afternoon maybe you'll be able to find a belt buckle.

Otherwise, like someone else said, don't be a knucklehead. There's nothing wrong with cheering hard for your team, but rooting against the other side is bad form (like calling for balls to go in the trees or water).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom