• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RottenWatch - Ant-Man: Oh we can handle it. We're professionals | RT 80%

Status
Not open for further replies.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I hope Trainwreck(94% RT) steps all over Ant-Man this weekend.
And I hope you would at least put some effort in your trolling, but as you will learn in time young grasshopper, is that some things are just not meant to be.

Gonzalez

Banned
And I hope you would at least put some effort in your trolling, but as you will learn in time young grasshopper, is that some things are just not meant to be.
It worked, though. I got people talking about Trainwreck for half a page.

eyzQjck.gif

I LOVE this gif.

Have to say, I was really worried about this film. A combination of production issues and just not being excited for it. But after seeing commercials and the good reviews I'm excited to see it hopefully Friday.

jtb

Banned
Looks like this has large doses of two things I really dislike about modern blockbuster films: using irreverence (to the point of glibness) as a crutch and over-exagerrated stakes. Will probably end up seeing it, probably see Trainwreck first.

ZeroX03

Banned
Better than I expected. Still not planning on seeing it in theaters, but if I got an invite I'd probably accept. Love me some Paul Rudd.

overcast

Sounds decent enough. Feeling pretty unenthusiastic about what I'm hearing though. Even the MCU movies I haven't liked scored in the 70's on RT. Superhero movies in general feel like they are scored a bit easier typically.

I'll watch it on blu ray in a few months or something. I think this will still be a hit at the box office for sure.

jey_16

Banned
Looks solid, i think we know by now that Marvel isnt going to throw up a complete stinker.

Probably wont see this in cinemas though, not really feeling the Marvel hype train after AoU....no excitement at all for it

inm8num2

I hope to catch this in theaters. May not get a chance for the next couple weeks, but this and MI5 are probably my last theatrical runs for the summer season.

Happy to see the positive reviews!

the real question is if audiences are going to love it or treat it tepidly

after avengers 2 i'm going to say that it'd be a tepid response, though a tepid response for a marvel movie is probably still something other studios would do anything to get

The top critics score is too high, it's at 77% to the overall 76%. Something has gotta give, it's always lower. Expect a wave of negatives from top critics soon

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Got tickets for tonight. I hope the heart and humor can reach the levels found in a Guardians of the Galaxy.

On topic of box office, I just don't think it will beat an Apatow/Schumer combo.

An R-rated comedy will not beat a PG-13 superhero film.

guek

Banned
Updated with a few more reviews and GAF impressions. This seems to be bouncing between 76 and 78. A shame since a solid 80 is so much more mentally satisfying than 78 or 79

Lunar15

Updated with a few more reviews and GAF impressions. This seems to be bouncing between 76 and 78. A shame since a solid 80 is so much more mentally satisfying than 78 or 79

I think this is kind of the thing that's wrong with review threads. Why in the world do you need mental satisfaction for something you haven't seen yet? Unless you have, in which you should probably already have your own personal conclusion on where it falls.

Wanting something to do well based on popular perception isn't always the best idea, in my opinion. I think it sends mixed messages to Hollywood and ties monetary compensation to often meaningless and the whims of reviewers. It's the kind of thing where it becomes important because we make it so important. We can't say "oh, ignore the reviews" for this movie and then champion the reviews for another.

guek

Banned
I think this is kind of the thing that's wrong with review threads. Why in the world do you need mental satisfaction for something you haven't seen yet? Unless you have, in which you should probably already have your own personal conclusion on where it falls.

Wanting something to do well based on popular perception isn't always the best idea, in my opinion. I think it sends mixed messages to Hollywood and ties monetary compensation to often meaningless and the whims of reviewers. It's the kind of thing where it becomes important because we make it so important. We can't say "oh, ignore the reviews" for this movie and then champion the reviews for another.
By "mental satisfaction" I mean an 80 is perceived mentally as much better than a 78 or 79 compared to the difference between 76 and 78. I'm not saying it means anything about the movie's quality, just that it's a mental pitfall.

Lunar15

By "mental satisfaction" I mean an 80 is perceived mentally as much better than a 78 or 79 compared to the difference between 76 and 78. I'm not saying it means anything about the movie's quality, just that it's a mental pitfall.

Oh, I know what you meant, but that's kind of my point: Isn't that an admission what reviews actually say are becoming meaningless to the degree that a number makes a better marketing point?

Reviews, to me, are discussions. No movie's perfect, and a consensus is never an indication of anything other than "this movie offended the least amount of people".

I guess my point is that we're the people who should be talking the least about metascores. We're the informed, those that know enough about film and have seen enough to have conversations outside of marketing.

But anywho, I'm sure people get really fucking annoyed that this gets brought up in every RT thread, so I'll drop it.

guek

Banned
Oh, I know what you meant, but that's kind of my point: Isn't that an admission what reviews actually say are becoming meaningless to the degree that a number makes a better marketing point?

Reviews, to me, are discussions. No movie's perfect, and a consensus is never an indication of anything other than "this movie offended the least amount of people".

I guess my point is that we're the people who should be talking the least about metascores. We're the informed, those that know enough about film and have seen enough to have conversations outside of marketing.

But anywho, I'm sure people get really fucking annoyed that this gets brought up in every RT thread, so I'll drop it.

Nah, I hear ya. Though I may come across otherwise, I think the content of reviews matter much more than the RT number which is why I included the review snippets. It's just fun to talk about the RT score as well.

Rude/crude like the Simpsons.

Nah.

Irreverent just means "not reverent." It's not necessarily rude, it's just that it approaches a scenario that would otherwise be taken seriously, and pokes at it humorously or sarcastically. You can do that rudely/crudely, sure, but irreverent is not a synonym for rude. It just means you're not going to be straight-faced about something that would normally call for you to be straight-faced.

guek

Banned
It's Certified Fresh, that's good enough for me. A nice cool 80% would just be icing on the cake.

The next 12 reviews would all have to be positive for it to hit 80% so it's pretty unlikely at this point. The dream is dead. Long live 78%

The grantland review just compared it to a pixar film.

Who knows what Wright’s artistry would have made of this? But Reed and his crew do just fine. It’s annoying to think that the Marvel tractor beam is just going to suck up all of these good, well-delineated characters. Still, here in this little speck of the Disney galaxy, where cleverness and feeling are prized over bigness and brand continuity, it’s not Marvel’s universe that Ant-Man seems sprung from. It’s Pixar’s.

not gonna lie, i'm actually kinda excited for it now

Got tickets for tonight. I hope the heart and humor can reach the levels found in a Guardians of the Galaxy.

On topic of box office, I just don't think it will beat an Apatow/Schumer combo.

I don't think Apatow is guaranteed money these days. Schumer is definitely not guaranteed money. Ant-Man will take the weekend but drop off fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom