• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: Nolan and Burton Batman annihilate Reeves Batman

daTRUballin

The new Batman movie has always given me the same vibe as Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in that the dark tone and art direction makes it feel like you're watching a rated R movie even though you're really not.

M.W.

The Batman was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Fuck everything about that piece of shit.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Burton > All others.

Reeves felt under-engineered/flat, and Nolan’s was over-engineered/boring. The writing in both is atrocious IMO.

Are you a fan of the character in general? Because I can't see how anyone who's a big fan of Batman could say this.

And that's not a criticism of you, by the way. Perfectly okay to not be a big fan of Batman!

Last edited:

Valonquar

The Batman took me like 4 nights to watch. The filming was good, photography was great, costume design was good. The plot was sloooooooow, zero chemistry between characters, zero reason to care at all what is going on. 3 hours of full on cape fatigue.

Kacho

The Nolan trilogy are incredible movies in general. I rewatch them all the time.

The Reeves Batman flick was an entertaining watch but I haven't revisited it and doubt I ever will. It was forgettable.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Be that as it may, Burton films are still how I think of Batman

True. I think its all about how young you were and which specific take on Batman was your first that leaves the most important impression.

Like, I saw 89 in the theater when I was 9. That and Keaton will always the best Batman to me (though Pattinson comes close; I think Bale does the best Wayne)

Hugare

Reeves Batman was too messy: way too much time spent with the Falcone/Catwoman substory. Movie didnt have any right being that long.

Pattison did a good job as Batman but a terrible Bruce Wayne. Sure he is damaged and etc., but he acted like a teenager most of the time, instead of a grown man.

Movie also had this very dark/serious tone, but didnt seem earned. Nolan Batman was also serious, but it had just the right amount of levity to not make it a parody of itself.

Trunx81

Pattison did a good job as Batman but a terrible Bruce Wayne. Sure he is damaged and etc., but he acted like a teenager most of the time, instead of a grown man.
I tried to watch it this weekend because of this thread. Pattison narrating everything already bored me out a bit, but him snapping at Alfred was too much. Maybe I´ll give it another try one day, but till then it will remain unwatched.

Best Batmans are, imho, Batman Begins and Burtons first BATMAN. Both highly influential. The later for every comic book movie that came afterward, finally taking Superheroes serious. The former for inspiring the Arrow-Verse on CW (with it´s highs and lows).

simpatico

Ultimately when it comes to rewatching, only two Batman movies matter.

The Dark Knight

Burton Batman

I've got better stuff to do with my times than watch the others

WoJ

I wasn't a huge fan of Reeves Batman. I didn't hate but I will be waiting for the ability to rent it at home for the sequel.

I think this is a fact.

I think the Nolan Batman and Raimi Spiderman are directly responsible for the run of superhero movies through the 2010s. Nolan was basically Oppenheimer, he started a chain reaction with superhero movies that caused them to destroy themselves.

Are you a fan of the character in general? Because I can't see how anyone who's a big fan of Batman could say this.

And that's not a criticism of you, by the way. Perfectly okay to not be a big fan of Batman!
If you mean his perspective on Nolan Batman I kind of agree. I wouldn’t say the writing is atrocious(Dark Knight’s writing was pretty good) but that trilogy is lacking…something. Nolan Batman decided to go for a way more grounded perspective but by doing so it completely lost the noir detective feel of the 90s cartoon, and it lost the fantastical nature of the Burton films and the 90s cartoon as well.

The movies also weirdly felt like they underused Bale’s acting talents by relying way too much on the villain(s) and supporting cast instead. I came away from those movies thinking how great the performances were of Scarecrow, Alfred, Gordon, Joker, Harvey Dent, and Bane way more than I did of Batman himself.

The only ones I don’t count are Ras Al Ghul because he was assumed dead for a large chunk of the first movie, Catwoman because her performance sucked, and Robin because he felt forced into the plot.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
For fighting. Synder, but his stories are crap for Batman and Bruce development Burton and Nolan’s. But combat wise they are shit.

Best overall Batman is the animated series Batman. You know it is true.
Best combat best voiced Batman RIP Kevin Conroy.

Also WB make better animated versions of Batman than the movie counterparts.

I’m too burnt out on superhero movies to want to watch the Reeves Batman.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I thought the movie was really good when it was the first half all about the riddler and who was he and what was teh conspiracy at the police and things like that. But when it devolved into the stadium scene with the flooding and stuff i lost all interest.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I love Burton/Keaton Batman. That was my childhood. I can't unbias myself from that. I haven't watched The Batman. I'm not spending 3 hours of my life on a superhero movie that isn't a huge team up.

Top Bottom