• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nun II: Sequel to, The Nun

fart town usa

Gold Member
Just finished watching this at the cinema.

Wasn't terrible but was quite boring. Just felt like a massive step back from the first.

First one was roasted by reviewers but it felt so much like a trashy Italian horror movie from the 80s. More or less lifted a scene from Fulci's 'City of the Living Dead' too.

Atmosphere was on point, great horror visuals; nun hanging from a noose outside an isolated/abandoned convent with blood pooling around her.

The sequel though, it felt like an Annabelle movie (cause it's set in a boarding school full of girls) and also felt like all the boring parts from Conjuring films.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see these movies expecting to be blown away. I just want some solid atmosphere and creepy visuals.

I'd give the first an 8/10 for entertainment purposes alone. Just a fun popcorn horror movie.

Sequel is a 4/10. Just didn't really do much at all and a waste of characters. Even the new Nun, it gave her a backstory but it didn't even play into the plot. She played the role well but yea, script, pacing, atmosphere were super weak.

Anyone see it?

Last edited:
That's Nun of your business.
giphy.gif

Doom85

Anyone see it?

Decided to skip it as I wasn’t big on the first Nun movie. It wasn’t terrible, but there were very few effective scares, and the characters were pretty boring.

Conjuring 1 and 2 are excellent. 3 is fairly good but mainly because of Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga, it’s like a weak X-Files episode I‘d still enjoy because I like Mulder and Scully.

Annabelle 1 is a snooze-fest, 2 is surprisingly great (funny enough, one of the actresses was also in Ouija 2, another surprisingly good follow up to a mediocre first film), and haven’t seen 3 yet (heard it’s better than 1 but not as good as 2). Curse of La Llorona was fairly good for the first half but got weak after that.

Unless James Wan returns or another great director hops on to a Conjuring 4 (with Patrick and Vera returning of course), I’m about tapped out on the franchise.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Decided to skip it as I wasn’t big on the first Nun movie. It wasn’t terrible, but there were very few effective scares, and the characters were pretty boring.

Conjuring 1 and 2 are excellent. 3 is fairly good but mainly because of Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga, it’s like a weak X-Files episode I‘d still enjoy because I like Mulder and Scully.

Annabelle 1 is a snooze-fest, 2 is surprisingly great (funny enough, one of the actresses was also in Ouija 2, another surprisingly good follow up to a mediocre first film), and haven’t seen 3 yet (heard it’s better than 1 but not as good as 2). Curse of La Llorona was fairly good for the first half but got weak after that.

Unless James Wan returns or another great director hops on to a Conjuring 4 (with Patrick and Vera returning of course), I’m about tapped out on the franchise.
Yea I really enjoyed Conjuring 1 and 2 on first viewing but going back they just bore me to tears now. I'm not sure if I've seen the 3rd, does it have a morgue scene?

I don't remember much of the Annabelle movies, didn't really care for them. I've heard good things about Ouija 2, been meaning to watch it.

One movie that really surprised me is Lights Out. It's like 80 something minutes long, filmed great, and the monster is effective as hell. That movie creeped the hell out of me. Pleasant surprise.

I also love Dead Silence, that movie gets roasted but man, the atmosphere is so good and it's just filmed really well. I love the monster too, super creepy to me. Fun popcorn horror movie, never understood all the hate. Director's Cut is trash though, avoid at all costs.

Doom85

Yea I really enjoyed Conjuring 1 and 2 on first viewing but going back they just bore me to tears now. I'm not sure if I've seen the 3rd, does it have a morgue scene?

I don't remember much of the Annabelle movies, didn't really care for them. I've heard good things about Ouija 2, been meaning to watch it.

One movie that really surprised me is Lights Out. It's like 80 something minutes long, filmed great, and the monster is effective as hell. That movie creeped the hell out of me. Pleasant surprise.

I also love Dead Silence, that movie gets roasted but man, the atmosphere is so good and it's just filmed really well. I love the monster too, super creepy to me. Fun popcorn horror movie, never understood all the hate. Director's Cut is trash though, avoid at all costs.

I personally still love Conjuring 1 and 2, though while I find them both equally scary, I think 2 is a bit better as they focus more on the girl who’s being possessed and make you empathize her and she has a great actress (whereas 1 didn’t focus too much on anyone in particular of the family, also the dad’s acting was really rough at times), also some of the details are amazing, like the girl slowly transforming into the old man while out of focus as Ed Warren looks away, and the Crooked Man who at first I assumed had to be CGI but nope, it was actor Javier Botet who has a very unique body structure that allowed him to play such a unique-looking creature.

I think there was a scene at a morgue in 3. Only saw it once so my memory isn’t the best on it.

Annabelle 2 has some great “let your eyes adjust to the darkness, and when you see it, OH SHIT” moments. Like, when the handicapped girl uses the stairlift for the first time, when she reaches the top, she waits for someone to come up to help her out of the lift, and the hallway behind her is very dark…and then a few seconds pass and a figure who can barely be seen in the back of the dark hallway walks away out of sight. Also, later when someone is looking at Annabelle in complete darkness, and it takes a second for our eyes to adjust to notice the demon figure right behind the doll.

Lights Out was pretty good, I think there were parts it kind of dragged, but seeing it in theater, I loved when they’re in the girl’s apartment and the ghost woman is crawling around somewhere and the theater audio of the crawling only plays on speakers to the left and in a pattern that made it sound like she was actually crawling along our theater wall. Also (IIRC the moment right) the girl’s boyfriend got one of the best “big brain” moments ever when he’s lifted in the air by the ghost in front of his car, and he seems pretty doomed…and then he uses the car keys that were in his hands to turn on his headlights, thus saving him.

Roufianos

The first was absolutely dreadful, such a step down from the rest of the franchise. No way am I checking this out if you're saying this is somehow even worse.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Why don’t we have good horror movies? I watched Annabelle and The Conjuring. Haven’t seen anything in the last couple years, that’s years! I saw some shock moments from The Nun on YouTube, but I imagine those were the best parts of the film.

The Nun (1) was such a huge let down for me, in the Conjuring they setup this demon as all an all evil being and then the solo movie dropped the ball so much, they could have done so much more. I'll watch 2 when it's streaming, but not going to go out of my way to see it.
In hindsight too the way she was "vanquished" in the Conjuring was so fast, love those movies but suddenly at the last 10 mins they can rid this demon so quickly, that had omnipotent power.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The sequel though, it felt like an Annabelle movie (cause it's set in a boarding school full of girls) and also felt like all the boring parts from Conjuring films.
There was a time that this would have meant something, a promise, nay, a PACT between horror filmmaker and avid horror film fan about expectations.

But I'm gonna watch this movie and be disappointed, aren't I?

fart town usa

Gold Member
There was a time that this would have meant something, a promise, nay, a PACT between horror filmmaker and avid horror film fan about expectations.

But I'm gonna watch this movie and be disappointed, aren't I?
I mean if you're a casual horror fan and watch mostly Conjuring type movies you'll probably enjoy it more than I did.

My go to Horror is video nasty type stuff from the 80s, usually Italian horror but I love monster movies in general and slashers. All I want is solid atmosphere and to be entertained. Don't really expect much.

I also loved Halloween Kills, saw it 4 times in the theater and that movie was roasted like crazy. 😅

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Why don’t we have good horror movies? I watched Annabelle and The Conjuring. Haven’t seen anything in the last couple years, that’s years! I saw some shock moments from The Nun on YouTube, but I imagine those were the best parts of the film.
Barbarian was out last year and that movie was fantastic. Easily the best horror movie out of Hollywood that I've seen in years.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The first was absolutely dreadful, such a step down from the rest of the franchise. No way am I checking this out if you're saying this is somehow even worse.

The Nun (1) was such a huge let down for me, in the Conjuring they setup this demon as all an all evil being and then the solo movie dropped the ball so much, they could have done so much more. I'll watch 2 when it's streaming, but not going to go out of my way to see it.
In hindsight too the way she was "vanquished" in the Conjuring was so fast, love those movies but suddenly at the last 10 mins they can rid this demon so quickly, that had omnipotent power.

Just curious what it was about the first Nun that you didn't like.

The movie definitely has goofy parts, like the skeleton falling from the tree on Frenchie. I loved that though, I want schlocky stuff like that in my horror movies.

What I disliked most was the side plot exorcism stuff, thought it was a waste of time.

The atmosphere for me is what really got me to love it. That abandoned castle, the night scenes in the cemetery. Knowing that these people are alone in a secluded place that people say is cursed. I loved it. The opening scene is so good to me, such a solid buildup of complete dread. I really enjoyed the sense of adventure the movie had at times too, it wasn't much but enough that it added to the fun factor of the movie for me.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I mean if you're a casual horror fan and watch mostly Conjuring type movies you'll probably enjoy it more than I did.

My go to Horror is video nasty type stuff from the 80s, usually Italian horror but I love monster movies in general and slashers. All I want is solid atmosphere and to be entertained. Don't really expect much.

I also loved Halloween Kills, saw it 4 times in the theater and that movie was roasted like crazy. 😅
I mean that if you set a HORROR movie in an ALL GIRLS SCHOOL, there had BETTER be a shower scene (or 2), a bit of girl on girl, some skinny dipping, and the hot slutty girl getting her just desserts in as erotic a way as possible. This was STANDARD boilerplace stuff when making horror films in the 70's and 80's. It's called THE NUN for chrissakes, doesn't that mean thre is an evil nun running around dispensing morality based vengeance?

The movie definitely has goofy parts, like the skeleton falling from the tree on Frenchie. I loved that though, I want schlocky stuff like that in my horror movies.

What I disliked most was the side plot exorcism stuff, thought it was a waste of time.

The atmosphere for me is what really got me to love it. That abandoned castle, the night scenes in the cemetery. Knowing that these people are alone in a secluded place that people say is cursed. I loved it. The opening scene is so good to me, such a solid buildup of complete dread. I really enjoyed the sense of adventure the movie had at times too, it wasn't much but enough that it added to the fun factor of the movie for me.
I guess it just wasn't scary or spooky to me at all, the character is creepy but I just wasn't wowed by it, and again same as the Conjuring, all the build up to a 2 min "vanquish"

fart town usa

Gold Member
First half, maybe. The ending shit the bed sooo much. But I did like the beginning.
It's so funny how wildly different viewer reactions can be to horror.

I freaking loved the 2nd half and the ending, that movie went so off the rails. Justin Long and the tape measure, the swan dive off the roof top 🤣. I need to watch that movie again.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's so funny how wildly different viewer reactions can be to horror.

I freaking loved the 2nd half and the ending, that movie went so off the rails. Justin Long and the tape measure, the swan dive off the roof top 🤣. I need to watch that movie again.
Yeah, his bit was a necessary break in the tension, but I don't think they rebuilt it for the end and the wackiness
the dad in the bed, asking for a gun just sitting there, then suiciding; or just the mutant freak strength in the first place
towards the end wasn't as satisfying for me. I liked the lead lady though, she could be a good scream queen.

Muffdraul

I still haven't seen The Nun, I've been meaning to for years. Ever since I read an interview with Bonnie Aaron, who plays the titular nun character. I was reading her interview because she played the homeless creature behind the dumpster in Mulholland Drive, the one that literally scares the poor guy to death. She was saying how on the day they shot it, David Lynch was working with her trying to figure out what expression she should have on her face when she popped out from behind the dumpster. They tried a bunch of different expressions and he didn't think any of them were right. They were talking and he was ruminating more ideas and after a while she said she kinda stopped listening to what he was saying and just stared into his eyes and thought to herself, "God, David is so dreamy. He's hot. I wanna screw him." And right then he said, "There! That's it! That's the face!" They did a bunch of takes but she couldn't make that face again unless she was looking right at him so he had to stand in front of her just off camera.

Anyway, I promise I'll watch The Nun for Halloween.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I still haven't seen The Nun, I've been meaning to for years. Ever since I read an interview with Bonnie Aaron, who plays the titular nun character. I was reading her interview because she played the homeless creature behind the dumpster in Mulholland Drive, the one that literally scares the poor guy to death. She was saying how on the day they shot it, David Lynch was working with her trying to figure out what expression she should have on her face when she popped out from behind the dumpster. They tried a bunch of different expressions and he didn't think any of them were right. They were talking and he was ruminating more ideas and after a while she said she kinda stopped listening to what he was saying and just stared into his eyes and thought to herself, "God, David is so dreamy. He's hot. I wanna screw him." And right then he said, "There! That's it! That's the face!" They did a bunch of takes but she couldn't make that face again unless she was looking right at him so he had to stand in front of her just off camera.

Anyway, I promise I'll watch The Nun for Halloween.
That scene from Mulholland Drive is insane. I get goose bumps just thinking about it.

I legit had a visceral reaction the first time I saw it. Watching it alone in my dark apartment, when she came onto the screen I kind of started spasming cause my mind was like "change the channel you dumb bastard!" And my limbs couldn't keep up. 🤣🤣

The whole story with that movie is wild. Basically an episode for a TV series that never materialized turned into a weird film. One of Lynch's best IMO.

Edit- if you do watch the Nun, please post your thoughts here if you remember to. Curious how you'd feel about the atmosphere in the film. I freaking love the scenery and everything. Gorgeous stuff.

Last edited:

Roufianos

I honestly don't remember much if it, but I remember it just wasn't even remotely scary. That's a crazy thing to say because The Nun itself is such a horrifically creepy character design, and scared the shit out of me in The Conjuring.

Only thing I remember about that film is 'Frenchman...Hey, that's French Canadian'.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I honestly don't remember much if it, but I remember it just wasn't even remotely scary. That's a crazy thing to say because The Nun itself is such a horrifically creepy character design, and scared the shit out of me in The Conjuring.

Only thing I remember about that film is 'Frenchman...Hey, that's French Canadian'.
Yea, I can see that. I don't really get scared much these days from movies so atmosphere is what always engages me the most. Honestly can't think of a single scare that worked on me in that movie.

Top Bottom