• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rising Storm |OT| Welcome to The Pacific. Now Banzaaaiiii!

demolitio

QKZgD6V.jpg

Rising Storm is out NOW so go fix your bayonets and prepare to BANZAAAAIIIIIIIIII!

tuNt4Xy.png

Minimum
Processor: Dual Core 2.3 GHz or better
Memory: 2 GB
Graphics: 256 MB SM 3.0 DX9 Compliant NVIDIA® GeForce 7800 GTX or better ATI® Radeon® HD 2900 GT or better
DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c
Hard Drive: 8 GB free hard drive space
Sound: Windows Supported Sound Card
Other: Broadband Internet Connection required

Recommended

Processor: Quad Core 2.6 GHz or better
Memory: 3 GB
Graphics: 512 MB SM 3.0 DX9 Compliant NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 260 or better ATI® Radeon® HD 5750 or better
Hard Drive: 8 GB free hard drive space
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy or better

Owners of Red Orchestra 2 that have the "inb4 reset" achievement will receive the digital early weapon upgrades for free along with an XP boost for two weeks so keep that in mind if you want the Deluxe Edition.

The Deluxe Edition comes with:
- Day 1 Unlock of: the US M12 Trench shotgun, the Japanese Type 99 Machine Gun, the Japanese Type 99 Sniper Rifle with 4X scope (level 2), and the US M1 Garand with bayonet (Level 2).

-2 Rising Storm soldier playable characters for Killing Floor.

-Rising Storm and Red Orchestra 2 soundtracks.

-Will include the Red Orchestra 2 Steam Digital Deluxe Edition Upgrade (4 day 1 unlock weapons, 2 playable RO2 KF characters, and 2 RO2 hats in TF2).

1) How do I buy Rising Storm?
You can buy it on the Steam Store page here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/35450/discussions/ or other digital and retail outlets.

2) How do I launch Rising Storm?
You launch the Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 Multiplayer app in your Steam Library.

3) What if I only own Red Orchestra 2?
You still launch the game from the Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 multiplayer app.

4) What if a server changes maps between Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm (or the other way around)?
You will be able to play all Rising Storm maps so you will not be kicked from the server (RS owners have access to all RO 2 multiplayer content).
Those who do not own Rising Storm will be limited to the rifleman role.

4.5) Why the rifleman role?
As the rifleman role contains the largest amount of available slots in play we figured this would be the best role to make available. Rifles are among the most deadly weapons on the battlefield and you will not be at a disadvantage to other players as long as you are playing the role properly.

5) Why did you do this?
Taking community feedback and looking at how other games had handled "Stand Alone Expansions" before such as Company of Heroes and the IL-2 series, we decided this was the best approach that would not split the community.
There are other factors as well. These include both games using the same engine and code base (keeping the total install size down for users with both), and that the SteamWorks back-end does not support games with different "AppID"s from connecting with each other.
If we had them as separate apps, players would need to download both games (even though they share an engine, code and some content) and they would not be able to play with each other.

6) Do I have to play Rising Storm?
No, you can join servers just playing RO 2 maps. If you are reading this close to launch it is likely that many server admins have both sets of maps in rotation.

7) What happened to my old RO 2 main menu?
It was replaced with what we feel is a better menu (that better represents all 4 nations now in the multiplayer environment). The old menu is in the RO 2 single player application.

8) Where is Single Player?
Single Player has been split into its own application. This was mainly due to the fact that Single Player tended to break in unexpected ways every time we patched the game. Now that it is its own application, this should no longer happen.

9) What about my Single Player progress?
You should be able to copy over your campaign progress from the RS/RO2 Multiplayer Install to the RO 2 SP Install.

10) Why isn't Rising Storm Free?
Because it is a Stand Alone Expansion and team behind it deserves to be rewarded for their hard work on the game.

11) But you said it would be free
No we did not. When we announced Rising Storm we said it would either be released as a free mod or a paid product depending on the quality of the product. We announced that we would be co-developing it and it would be a paid product many months ago.

11.5) Why does Rising Storm "favor" new buyers?
This answer is two parted.
1. The value of products goes down over time. The cost of the RO 2 multiplayer is built into the cost of Rising Storm. Those who own RO 2 are able to upgrade to the RS content at discount as well.
2. By giving RS buyers access to RO 2 it is all the more likely that these new players will be in RO 2 servers playing along side you. Players are content, and it is one of our jobs to make sure that players have other players to play with.
12) Will there be more RO 2 content?
Yes, we have plans for more. In the near future we will be releasing 3 more Official Custom Maps from the mapping contest.
What about RS content?
We also have several RS maps in the works.
What about weapons, vehicles, game modes and other things?
We were working on several of these things prior to Rising Storm, and we may continue them. We have to see community reaction and put work where the demand is. Those with the SDK will also find some of the experiments we have trialed or started developing for Rising Storm as well.
We no longer announce planned content goals, as we have learned a hard lesson about what happens if we miss those goals or our plans change.

klJ0lef.png

"Rising Storm is a first person shooter game based on the Pacific campaign of 1941-45. It takes place in several, famous strategic locations.

The game covers the famous island-hopping campaigns in the Pacific from 1942 to 1945 as the US Army and Marine Corps fight it out with the Imperial Japanese army and Special Naval Landing Forces. Featuring some of the most brutal fighting in the Pacific theater, players are able to experience beach assaults, jungle fighting, close quarters night fighting and more across Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima and Saipan, among other historic hot spots. The player is able to take the part of either side – American or Japanese – battling it out online in full player versus player multi-player.

Rising Storm is being created in a first-of-its-kind collaboration between a mod team and a professional game development studio. The Rising Storm team is made up of the best independent developers from the modding community and several members of the development team at Tripwire Interactive."

The game is similar to previous Red Orchestra games but focuses on a campaign that's rarely covered in entertainment and has asymmetric gameplay you rarely see in today's games.

YAbvKZq.png

-Relive history: Fight some the Pacific's bloodiest battles in 64 player matches and a mix of maps that take you from up-close and bloody skirmishes in the trenches or buildings to open areas with plenty of flanking routes and concealment.

-Heroes Return: The hero system from Red Orchestra 2 returns meaning you will start with a young grunt at low levels with dirty, used weapons and will progress into a true war veteran with different uniforms, scruffy and dirty faces showing you've been through a lot of shit, and weapons that represent your value to your nation. See the link at the bottom of this post for comparison pictures of the weapons and character models are they reach the different levels.

-Asymmetric gameplay: Fight against an enemy with major advantages and disadvantages and exploit their weaknesses to ensure victory.

-First person cover system: Experience the ultimate firefights that a cover system allows, from the immersion of a first person view. Peek or blind fire over and around cover and more.

-Squad Command: Command fire teams on the battlefield using an easy to use first person interface. Suppress the enemy, send a fire team to flank them and hit them where it hurts!

-WWII weaponry redefined: true to life ballistics, bullet penetration, breathing, adjustable sights, free aim, weapon bracing, photo-real graphics and more, create WWII weaponry that has no equal.

-Morale: Experience what it is like to be a soldier in one of the bloodiest conflicts in history and the importance of a soldier’s state of mind and how it can turn the tide of battle.

-Heroes: Obtain the ultimate goal and become a Hero online. Players with hero status inspire troops around them and cause fear in their enemies. Heroes have access to the best and rarest weapons and equipment, and will stand out visually from the rest of the soldiers.

-Enhanced Unreal® Engine™ 3: Built on an enhanced version of Unreal Engine 3 the game features cutting edge visuals and features and optimized more thanks to lessons learned with RO2.

lJhS1Dq.png

Q7QkLQN.png

After failed negotiations with the U.S. over the war in China, embargoes placed on them by the West, and a buildup of troops in the Pacific, Japan felt there was no other option but to prepare for war. The game picks up after war has broken out and has you fighting the Americans in many key battles throughout the Pacific. Although outgunned by U.S. technology, the Japanese use their strong beliefs and nationalism to fight fearlessly and that is portrayed in the game. Japanese infantry won't be as easy to suppress and they can banzai charge with their rifle bayonets while taking a few more hits than normal. That doesn't mean they're a slouch in the firepower department though! Their bolt-action is accurate and powerful and their machine guns pack a punch even with smaller magazines than the Americans. They also use knee mortars that can devastate an area either through direct or indirect fire. The Japanese can also set grenades down as booby traps or even run into an American squad while cooking a grenade without taking a penalty since suicides on the Japanese side will not hurt your ticket count. Can the Japanese use their fearlessness to make the Americans fold?

Here are the other weapons you can expect to find and their known unlocks:

HANDGUNS
NAMBU TYPE 14
Level 25: 1 Extra Magazine
Level 50: 2 Extra Magazines

RIFLES

ARISAKA TYPE 38

ARISAKA TYPE 99
Level 50: Monopod

TYPE 99 SNIPER
-Level 25: 4x Fixed Scope
-Level 50: 4x Adjustable Scope, Monopod & Bayonet

Sub Machine Gun

NAMBU TYPE 100
-Level 25: Reduced Recoil, Improved Sights
-Level 50: Bayonet

Light Machine Gun

TYPE 96 LMG
Level 25: Bayonet
Level 50: 2.5x Scope

TYPE 99 LMG

Level 25: Bayonet
Level 50: 2.5x Scope

MISC.

TYPE 89 GRENADE DISCHARGER - Your fun knee mortar

Katana
Level 25: Officer's Sword
Level 50: Family Heirloom

W3ScMWG.png

After Pearl Harbor, Americans were eager to serve and win the war as fast as possible. Although it seemed like an impossible task at the time, they were determined to fight for their country no matter the cost. You'll be mostly playing as the U.S. Marine Corps and even then U.S. Army on a few maps which is something often overlooked by people. The Americans bring a lot of firepower to the fight, including the M1 Garand on most maps as the default rifleman weapon giving you a semi-automatic rifle that can put lead down range a lot faster than the Japanese bolt-action. You will also be getting everything from the Thompson SMG to a flamethrower that is sure to stop a banzai charge in its tracks. Can the Americans use their industrial might to overcome the fearsome Japanese?

Here are the American weapons and their known unlocks:

HANDGUNS

M1911A1

-Level 25: 1 Extra Magazine
-Level 50: 2 Extra Magazines

RIFLES

SPRINGFIELD M1903A1
-Level 25: M1 10 Inch Bayonet
-Level 50: M1905 16 Inch Bayonet

M1903 SNIPER
-Level 25: M73B1 2.5X Crosshair Reticle
-Level 50: A1 Marine Variant, UnertI 8X scope

M1 CARBINE
-Level 25: Stock Mounted Ammo Pouch
-Level 50: M4 Bayonet

M1 GARAND

-Level 25: M1 10 Inch Bayonet
-Level 50: M1905 16 Inch Bayonet, Ping Trick (fake iconic reload sound to fool enemies)

Sub Machine Gun

THOMPSON M1928A1

-Level 25: 30 Round Magazines, Cutts Recoil Compensator
-Level 50: 50 Round Drum Magazines, Foregrip

Light Machine Gun

M1919A6 LMG

M1918A2 BAR

-Level 25: Field Modified Handgrip
-Level 50: Bipod

MISC.

M12 TRENCH GUN

-Level 25: M1917 Bayonet
-Level 50: Extra Shells

M2-2 FLAMETHROWER

UrQ1El8.png

This section will be updated with more content as I go since there's so much to go into and I'm afraid I'm going to lose power or internet right now. Game modes and realism settings in detail will come in just a bit so hold tight. Just like the military motto, "Hurry up and wait!" The RO2 guide is being redone to reflect Rising Storm's modes.

Feel free to contribute any guides or tips to be added to this section with proper credit.

For a look at the gun and character upgrades in action, check out this Steam Community page thanks to hurmer: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=146200163#55027

Some content was copied from my RO2 |OT| about basic game features and tweaked so let me know if you spot any mistakes.

AndyCH

Banned
was waiting for an OT

I hated RO2 but love rising storm.

game can get pretty frustrating at times though.

Saipan and Hanto are easily my favorite maps.

Iwo Jima is lame imo

demolitio

The good news is that I can finally play today. I already had to edit some things and I expect to have to do a lot more based on how sedated I am right now but I did add the part about previous RO2 owners with the "inb4 reset" achievement getting bonuses as well.

Let me know if I missed anything else that is important for potential buyers.

Edit: About the katana, my favorite moment ingame happened last night on the American side. I killed an officer rushing at me with a katana and then took his katana and took one swing and killed the next guy who was close to stabbing me with his bayonet during his banzai rush and I laughed quite a bit at the achievement I got for it. I won't spoil it just in case...

Also, I know we have an RO2 Steam Community but do we have one for RS? Maybe we should get one going and I can post it on here. This game is a lot better with some buddies and people generally love to have me as their SL since I always get them interesting spawns on the flanks. :p

Thanks for the OT. Maybe ad the bit about the (a bit confusing) how to get the game part:

TW said:
1) How do I buy Rising Storm?
You can buy it on the Steam Store page here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/35450/discussions/ or other digital and retail outlets.

2) How do I launch Rising Storm?
You launch the Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 Multiplayer app in your Steam Library.

3) What if I only own Red Orchestra 2?
You still launch the game from the Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 multiplayer app.

4) What if a server changes maps between Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm (or the other way around)?
You will be able to play all Rising Storm maps so you will not be kicked from the server (RS owners have access to all RO 2 multiplayer content).
Those who do not own Rising Storm will be limited to the rifleman role.

4.5) Why the rifleman role?
As the rifleman role contains the largest amount of available slots in play we figured this would be the best role to make available. Rifles are among the most deadly weapons on the battlefield and you will not be at a disadvantage to other players as long as you are playing the role properly.

5) Why did you do this?
Taking community feedback and looking at how other games had handled "Stand Alone Expansions" before such as Company of Heroes and the IL-2 series, we decided this was the best approach that would not split the community.
There are other factors as well. These include both games using the same engine and code base (keeping the total install size down for users with both), and that the SteamWorks back-end does not support games with different "AppID"s from connecting with each other.
If we had them as separate apps, players would need to download both games (even though they share an engine, code and some content) and they would not be able to play with each other.

6) Do I have to play Rising Storm?
No, you can join servers just playing RO 2 maps. If you are reading this close to launch it is likely that many server admins have both sets of maps in rotation.

7) What happened to my old RO 2 main menu?
It was replaced with what we feel is a better menu (that better represents all 4 nations now in the multiplayer environment). The old menu is in the RO 2 single player application.

8) Where is Single Player?
Single Player has been split into its own application. This was mainly due to the fact that Single Player tended to break in unexpected ways every time we patched the game. Now that it is its own application, this should no longer happen.

9) What about my Single Player progress?
You should be able to copy over your campaign progress from the RS/RO2 Multiplayer Install to the RO 2 SP Install.

10) Why isn't Rising Storm Free?
Because it is a Stand Alone Expansion and team behind it deserves to be rewarded for their hard work on the game.

11) But you said it would be free
No we did not. When we announced Rising Storm we said it would either be released as a free mod or a paid product depending on the quality of the product. We announced that we would be co-developing it and it would be a paid product many months ago.

11.5) Why does Rising Storm "favor" new buyers?
This answer is two parted.
1. The value of products goes down over time. The cost of the RO 2 multiplayer is built into the cost of Rising Storm. Those who own RO 2 are able to upgrade to the RS content at discount as well.
2. By giving RS buyers access to RO 2 it is all the more likely that these new players will be in RO 2 servers playing along side you. Players are content, and it is one of our jobs to make sure that players have other players to play with.
12) Will there be more RO 2 content?
Yes, we have plans for more. In the near future we will be releasing 3 more Official Custom Maps from the mapping contest.
What about RS content?
We also have several RS maps in the works.
What about weapons, vehicles, game modes and other things?
We were working on several of these things prior to Rising Storm, and we may continue them. We have to see community reaction and put work where the demand is. Those with the SDK will also find some of the experiments we have trialed or started developing for Rising Storm as well.
We no longer announce planned content goals, as we have learned a hard lesson about what happens if we miss those goals or our plans change.

was waiting for an OT

I hated RO2 but love rising storm.

game can get pretty frustrating at times though.

Saipan and Hanto are easily my favorite maps.

Iwo Jima is lame imo
I love both, maybe that's why I can't agree with the frustrating part (other the odd player being a douche, not teamplaying etc., but that happens in every other game as well).

I do agree though that Iwo Jima is boring. They completely borked the rebalancing in the latest big beta release and it carried over into the final game. It's almost impossible to win as Axis if the other team has at least some experienced players. It's easier for Allies to control Axis reinforcements and due to the second objectives being destroy objectives you can't stall the Allies' advance. That means they have around 10 mins and 150+ reinf for the last objective - an absolute cakewalk.

Other than that there are two minor things I wish they fix: The BAR and the flamethrower are overpowered atm. BAR merges the benefits of an automatic rifle merged with those of an MG and is too precise for that. I don't care if it's realistic, its simply annoying. Same for the flamethrower, the effective range is too long, you can't really set yourself on fire and the autokill is a bit too much.

Llyranor

This game is awesome. I was a huge fan of RO2, and this delivers. The beach/jungle/swamp environments make for very different/varied/enjoyable levels.

Been playing only as the Japanese side, mostly as a rifleman. Bayonet banzai charges are awesome fun. I've killed a decent number with the bayonet. Love booby-trapping with grenades, too.

I cower in fear when I see a flamethrower! But my greatest achievement was bayonetting one while he was flaming someone else!

Nelo Ice

Banned
Completely addicted to this game atm. Loving the double xp thanks to having "in b4 reset". Just got my lvl 50 ARISAKA TYPE 99 on Axis side.

FGMPR

Banned
^ I can't blame you after RO2's launch, but its in pretty good shape. Regardless, you can go and try it out and play as a rifleman without paying for it.

Card Boy

Banned
This will be dead online within the month. Sorry not touching this after I got shat on by Tripwire for the piece of shit that was RO2.

Uriah

This will be dead online within the month. Sorry not touching this after I got shat on by Tripwire for the piece of shit that was RO2.

Lol wut. RO2 is still alive. The game has plenty of full servers up and running.

Nelo Ice

Banned
The bar is so incredibly fun to use. Just played a game on Guadalcanal where we got pushed all the way back to F. So I got in a pit and went on like a 15 kill streak slaughtering everything that came into my view, including guys on the tower.

Tripwire has delivered a TONS of content, but people still whining about "missing feature", well, nevermind.

a couple of reviews:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/05/wot-i-think-rising-storm/#more-155574
It’s filled with accomplished features and brave ideas. It’s filled with realised ambition, which is more than you can say for most AAA games.

This is a big, bold, PC-centric multiplayer project that needs and deserves a thriving community, and RPS readers are just the excellent sort of souls I’d like to be met by when I log on to one of its servers.

http://www.mmogames.com/gamereviews/rising-storm-review/
If you like your shooters to be more realistic and take teamwork seriously, then I can offer nothing but praise for Rising Storm and recommend you purchase your own copy as soon as possible.

http://theanalogshtick.com/2013/06/03/review-rising-storm-tora-tora-tora/
While Rising Storm is one of my favorite PC shooters at the moment, it is important to say that it definitely isn’t for everyone. It takes quite a bit of patience as it has a rather large learning curve. Call of Duty and Battlefield devoutees will likely be blown away more than a few times when they start playing the game, but once you understand its pacing it becomes one of the most satisfying shooters around.

http://www.meristation.com/pc/rising-storm/analisis-juego/1855037?p=1
si buscas revivir un poco de esa tensión que se vivió en las batallas del pacifico sur, si buscas realismo por encima de correcalles sin cabeza, Rising Storm es tu juego.

http://boothammer.com/wordpress/rising-storm-review/
Rising Storm simply improves upon the realistic formula that has gathered an impressive following for the gritty and authentic gameplay experience delivered by this franchise. Fans of flamethrowers and bayonets alike can rejoice, your game is here.

Anoter great review, from PC gamer.
http://www.pcgamer.com/review/risin...el=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Otherwise, you’re looking at the best multiplayer shooter set in the Pacific, and the best WWII FPS since Battlefield 1942. Rising Storm’s period-accurate weapons emphasize precision in a way that isn’t present in other shooters, and the way danger, teamwork, and a sense of authenticity permeate the experience make it an essential game for multiplayer FPS players.

I can't understand why is only 86, with these awesome words as comment.

Yeah in your country, in Australia the game lasted like 2 weeks max from launch.
Lol Australia. On a more serious note I've always seen NZ/AUS servers in the server browser (when times did match). Not sure what you guys down under consider a healthy, active fanbase though considering there are not that many of you to begin with.

Whats the control mechanism for these games. I come from a console cod background ..
Pretty standard mkb, but aiming is harder in this one (sway, recoil) so you best be prepared for a learning curve.

Apparently it helps with accuracy/stabilization when prone or when you're propping it up against something.
Thanks, pretty useful then.

Also, knee mortars are hilarious.
This, so much. But everyone thinks they're hilarious and now I'm getting TKed like crazy.

demolitio

Nothing more rewarding than getting the foregrip for the B.A.R. considering how often I use it to flank and lay waste to an entire squad without them even having time to turn around. It clears trenches better than any trench gun ever could. :D

BeerSnob

Some advice.

As Axis when defending, plant your boobytraps in well trafficked areas. Crouch, aim straight down with the grenade selected, click the right mouse button and your dude will plant the grenade. You get to keep up to two and they persist until they explode or you plant new ones. Yes they persist, even after you die. You can only plant on dirt and sometimes debris

As ANY squad leader. Your job is to paint arty points, smoke paths to objectives and act as a mobile spawn point. You ARE NOT an active combat unit, you are support only. Shoot only if doing so will not attract enemy attention.

As MG, when your gun overheats, press 6 to replace the barrel. Fire in bursts, even if your m1919 does weight as much as a microwave, the recoil is still going to push it around. With a good three round burst you will be able drop folks 200+ meters away. Also, sometimes you might want to aim at knee or even foot level so that rounds 2 and/or 3 hit the midsection, if you are engaging at range.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Love getting clutch kills and push stopping killing sprees. It's amazing when the enemy team just dies by my gun, having no clue where it's coming from or there's that 1 guy who spots me but still can't kill me before I take him down. Like on Iwo Jima just now, my team pushed to C and Axis were running down from spawn 1 so I just sat there with my garand and popped as many as I could. At least 3 guys got into a rifle fight with me and every single time I came out on top lol, I was so busy stopping their push that I didn't even realize we had capped C.

Some advice.

As Axis when defending, plant your boobytraps in well trafficked areas. Crouch, aim straight down with the grenade selected, click the right mouse button and your dude will plant the grenade. You get to keep up to two and they persist until they explode or you plant new ones. Yes they persist, even after you die. You can only plant on dirt and sometimes debris

As ANY squad leader. Your job is to paint arty points, smoke paths to objectives and act as a mobile spawn point. You ARE NOT an active combat unit, you are support only. Shoot only if doing so will not attract enemy attention.

As MG, when your gun overheats, press 6 to replace the barrel. Fire in bursts, even if your m1919 does weight as much as a microwave, the recoil is still going to push it around. With a good three round burst you will be able drop folks 200+ meters away. Also, sometimes you might want to aim at knee or even foot level so that rounds 2 and/or 3 hit the midsection, if you are engaging at range.
You don't need to crouch to plant booby traps. I'd love to know how many active booby traps I have since the enemy (or your own team can set them off via explosives so you don't get a kill notification).

As an Axis SL you are a combat unit when you support a banzai charge (bonus). A lot of times I am also forced to take part in combat since my squad acts all pussy and doesn't get in the cap. If you have an smg don't try to snipe.

I really love this game, just the quirks with the overpowered BAR and flamer and the horribly unbalanced Iwo Jima map stops it from being almost perfect in what it tries to achieve.

Beaner

You don't need to crouch to plant booby traps. I'd love to know how many active booby traps I have since the enemy (or your own team can set them off via explosives so you don't get a kill notification).

If you go to the tactical interface (T), it shows how many active booby traps you have on the bottom right, just above the map

Tak3n

Banned
I got this, played for a hour then kinda gave up....

It felt like you need eyesight of a cat, I would get killed from seemed like far far away all the time....

does it suffer from campers....

I dont mind the tactical side of it...i.e keep crouched stay in a group etc... but I just seemed to get killed without doing anything :(

I got this, played for a hour then kinda gave up....

It felt like you need eyesight of a cat, I would get killed from seemed like far far away all the time....

does it suffer from campers....

I dont mind the tactical side of it...i.e keep crouched stay in a group etc... but I just seemed to get killed without doing anything :(
It takes some getting used to but shouldn't take you too long. I'd say stick around for a bit and give it another chance if you like tactical games.

The key of not getting shot from god knows where is to know the maps. Go to an empty server or create one of your own to see the maps from both sides if you have trouble figuring them out while someone drops arty shells on you, sets you ablaze and troubles you with a volley of mg fire. Use cover and watch your flanks. If you are in a place which can be seen from many different angles don't stay there or move slowly but sprint and move the **** out of there. If you run in the open do a zig-zag, don't be an easy target. If you don't have a secure position don't ironsight around, trying to find an enemy, try to find a secure position first.

legacyzero

Banned
Anybody wanting a shooter that is more than just your dudebro/hipspray fest should grab this game right now.

Even simply landing a kill is so satisfying.

BeerSnob

Does anyone know if we're getting tanks for Rising Storm? From what I've read, the Sherman's just dominated the Japanese armor. Could be hilarious.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i don't think there's a more underrated FPS in history than RO2.

yeah, it was shit at launch and continued to have major issues for the entire first year. but now? nothing can touch it in the military FPS space. with this expansion and the multiplayer campaign mode, it's like an apology for every shitty blue ocean bullet point that FPS players have been force fed for the best part of decade.

people like gez will of course harbour their first impressions from 2011, for which the blame lies purely with tripwire, but it will be entirely to their own detriment.

Tokubetsu

i don't think there's a more underrated FPS in history than RO2.

yeah, it was shit at launch and continued to have major issues for the entire first year. but now? nothing can touch it in the military FPS space. with this expansion and the multiplayer campaign mode, it's like an apology for every shitty blue ocean bullet point that FPS players have been force fed for the best part of decade.

people like gez will of course harbour their first impressions from 2011, for which the blame lies purely with tripwire, but it will be entirely to their own detriment.

I want to believe you but as someone who loved RO1, had 2 on pre-order and felt really bruned on launch, Idk if I have it in me. Rising Storm looks great and I'm tempted but I haven't caved just yet. I might later in the summer where there is more of a lull in games.

Does anyone know if we're getting tanks for Rising Storm? From what I've read, the Sherman's just dominated the Japanese armor. Could be hilarious.
I don't think they said anything except no tanks in the initial release, so we do not know for sure. I would not expect it too soonish though, they would need a new set of maps since the ones we have do not lend themselves to tank warfare all that well imo.

On sale for 50% on Steam, $10. Tripwire franchise pack (includes Rising Storm, RO, and RO2) is 75% off, $15. Worth it?

Is there a single player campaign for RO, RO2, and RS? "Multi-player" with just bots? As someone that loved BF1942 / 1943 how does this compare? So very tempted.

Edit: A couple more Q's -- is the franchise pack even worth it if RS comes with RO2 -- or is that just RO2 multi-player and there is also a single-player campaign that wouldn't be included?

On sale for 50% on Steam, $10. Tripwire franchise pack (includes Rising Storm, RO, and RO2) is 75% off, $15. Worth it?

Is there a single player campaign for RO, RO2, and RS? "Multi-player" with just bots? As someone that loved BF1942 / 1943 how does this compare? So very tempted.

Edit: A couple more Q's -- is the franchise pack even worth it if RS comes with RO2 -- or is that just RO2 multi-player and there is also a single-player campaign that wouldn't be included?

Once you have Rising Storm I don't see any reason to buy Red Orchestra 2. The single player is a bot match with sad trumpets.

Top Bottom