• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rio Olympic Village deemed "uninhabitable" by Australian delegation

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemenx

Banned
It's a shame that the media went with Zika fear mongering instead of more glaring issues like this one when talking about Rio.

What a disaster.

I'm not in Brazil, but rather the U.S. and
In the basement of my apartment where storage and washers/dryers are, there is a pipe in the ceiling that is slowly dripping water less than a foot away from a power outlet.

j0hnnix

I'm actually worried on how safe this place is.. What are the chances of an attack. How secure is this place going to be?

I love gymnastics, and I've always looked forward to the summer olympics as the best showcase of the highest level gymnasts in the world. Sadly, I don't think anyone could ethically justify watching these games. I need to figure out the Youtubes or the Instagrams or wherever you kids are watching gymnastics these days.

sydney still goat
tbh don't actually know because i was too young but olympic park is a nice place to go bike riding

Well, I'll tell you that I'm old enough and say Sidney was great in 2000. 92' in Barcelona for the Dream Team and 96' in Atlanta were also great minus the bombing.

SpyGuy239

That sucks. Though I still find it ironic that Rio is housing world class athletes and paying money to do this when so many Brazilians are poor and on the streets and in slums ):

Koppai

Wow it seems every time there is an Olympics, the host country is not ready for it. I feel sorry for all of the people who are struggling over there.

Replicant

xhAQFpQ.jpg

Only if you accept Redback spiders from us.

Cheerilee

mZK06px.jpg

Will it be topped?
Serious question: In Russia is it common for people to just sit n' shit together?

You can tell from the picture that there was a wall between those two toilets.

The theory (last I remember) is that they realized (after building everything) that the plumbing couldn't handle toilet paper being flushed, so they switched to trash cans and assigned someone to manually dispose of soiled toilet paper. But then they realized that there was no room in those two cramped stalls for a standard-sized trash can, so... clock is ticking... someone please find a way to fit this square peg in a round hole... and then someone said "I know, if we rip the wall out, there will be room for the trash can between the two toilets!"

Time ran out and they had no better idea.

Most of those Sochi fails were interesting because you could tell that the projects were started by people who had zero experience, and finished by people who were trying to think outside of the box and innovate last-minute solutions to fundamental design failures.

Lkhond

Neo Member
I'm happy that the corruption of my city is being exposed, but I think this will have a negative impact on me and others who want to run away from this god forsaken place.

Perhaps in the future, they should give it to cities that don't have to build an entire city just for the event? A few structures sure. But this...this shouldn't happen again.

I'm actually worried on how safe this place is.. What are the chances of an attack. How secure is this place going to be?
Honestly that's one of the things I'm more concerned about. With how bad Brazilians are at preventing stuff to happen, the chance of a terrorist attack while the games are going is really high.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Perhaps in the future, they should give it to cities that don't have to build an entire city just for the event? A few structures sure. But this...this shouldn't happen again.
How are you supposed to launder all that money quickly without such large contracts?

TDLink

Wow it seems every time there is an Olympics, the host country is not ready for it. I feel sorry for all of the people who are struggling over there.

That's what happens when you give it to Russia and then Brazil back to back. South Korea in 2018 and Japan in 2020 will almost certainly be ace.

It would have been huge if they had given it to the US. They really missed an opportunity to take the sport to another level here.

Not to mention that the US has enough massive stadiums that we could probably have hosted 3 world cups simultaneously with no issues whatsoever.

Copa America Centenario was a shitshow logisitics wise tho, the US federation hired some 3rd tier concerts production company to ran the whole thing.

Mohonky

Meh, it was like this in India for the Commonwealth games.

Toilets not hooked up (but used) dog all over bed spreads, no power blahblah when the games started, not a peep.

Meh, it was like this in India for the Commonwealth games.

Toilets not hooked up (but used) dog all over bed spreads, no power blahblah when the games started, not a peep.
Several concerns were raised over the preparations of the Games and these included excessive budget overruns,[139] likelihood of floods in Delhi due to heavy monsoon rains, infrastructural compromise, poor living conditions at the Commonwealth Games Village, delays in construction of the main Games' venues,[140][141] the withdrawal of prominent athletes,[142] widespread corruption by officials of the Games' Organising Committee[143] and possibility of a terrorist attack by militants.[144]

The negative pre-event publicity and heavy security presence played in part in low spectator attendance during the initial events. However the numbers picked up as the Games progressed.
Formation of dedicated investigation committee

The day after the conclusion of the Games, the Indian Government announced the formation of a special committee to probe the allegations of corruption and mismanagement against the Organising Committee. The probe committee will be led by former Comptroller and Auditor General of India VK Shunglu. This probe will be in addition to the Central Bureau of Investigation, Enforcement Directorate, and Central Vigilance Commission investigations already underway. The Prime Minister of India, Dr Manmohan Singh had promised in mid-August, when reports of the bungling first surfaced, that corrupt officials will be given "severe and exemplary" punishment after the Games. The probe committee is tasked with looking into "all aspects of organising and conducting" the Games, and "to draw lessons from it." It was given three months to submit its report, but the report was never publicly released.[145][146] The Indian Sports Ministry has directed the Organising Committee of the 2010 Commonwealth Games (led by Suresh Kalmadi), to not release any staffer from their positions till the probe committee's work is finished.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Commonwealth_Games

MrKaepora

Top: Organized crime worries more than terrorism in Rio.
Cartoon: Hello, boss? We're going to have to cancel that attack...
I just arrived at the city and they already stole all of our equipment.

Honestly that's one of the things I'm more concerned about. With how bad Brazilians are at preventing stuff to happen, the chance of a terrorist attack while the games are going is really high.

This is the real problem. I'm not even that worried about on-site security and preventive measures (lots of outreach by foreign intelligence to protect their own countrymen and dignitaries) but the city might go to pieces if calamity strikes anyway. They're just terrible at planning and designing around mass crowds.

mclem

I'm not in Brazil, but rather the U.S. and
In the basement of my apartment where storage and washers/dryers are, there is a pipe in the ceiling that is slowly dripping water less than a foot away from a power outlet.

I recommend that you don't put in a bid to host the olympics in your apartment.

seanoff

they need to work out a wayof sharing this about but really only first world countries can afford to run an olympics

1980 and 84 ruined by tit for tat boycotts.

Seoul was good

Barcelona excellent

Atlanta not so good

Sydney, flawless and all the venues are still heavily used

Athens ok but the games too big and the cost too greatfor greece and many venues left to rot

Beijing - lacked a bit of atmosphere due to the form of govt but otherwise flawless

London, see sydney.

Rio - lets hope nothing too terrible happens.

Tokyo - will be organised to within a cm of perfection

RBH

they need to work out a wayof sharing this about but really only first world countries can afford to run an olympics

1980 and 84 ruined by tit for tat boycotts.

Seoul was good

Barcelona excellent

Atlanta not so good

Sydney, flawless and all the venues are still heavily used

Athens ok but the games too big and the cost too greatfor greece and many venues left to rot

Beijing - lacked a bit of atmosphere due to the form of govt but otherwise flawless

London, see sydney.

Rio - lets hope nothing too terrible happens.

Tokyo - will be organised to within a cm of perfection

Why was Atlanta not so good?

They were smart about passing a lot of costs onto sponsors, a good portion of the venues are still being used today, and it really helped to jumpstart the growth of the city for the next two decades.

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/loca...-what-happened-to-venues-from-the-1996/nrtNf/

Edit: Duh, the bombing.

johnny956

Why was Atlanta not so good?

They were smart about passing a lot of costs onto sponsors, a good portion of the venues are still being used today, and it really helped to jumpstart the growth of the city for the next two decades.

Well other then the bombing, it was good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom