• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rio Olympic Village deemed "uninhabitable" by Australian delegation

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTLance

Germans send delegations to these kind of international sports events beforehand, with a contingent of skilled workers that fix the most egregious issues on their own, if need be. I think that's a very sensible approach that ought to be adopted by all other countries.

Tarkus

This is getting silly.

Just because Rio fucked up doesn't mean the Olympics cannot be pulled off well.

All went off without any major failures.
You're the Rio Olympics defense force. You show up in every thread. Take the L already, shit.

Didnt know about all the sex at olympic villages. Man, what a life. A hell lot of cheating scandals I suppose?

People who train for the Olympics don't have much time to spend on serious relationships. It's an extreme lifestyle that isn't easy to relate to. Those two factors, among others (like everyone being beautiful), contribute to a lot of sex when all these people congregate in one area.

Germans send delegations to these kind of international sports events beforehand, with a contingent of skilled workers that fix the most egregious issues on their own, if need be. I think that's a very sensible approach that ought to be adopted by all other countries.

The Italians are doing that right now with Rio. I suggest they won't be the last either.

People who train for the Olympics don't have much time to spend on serious relationships. It's an extreme lifestyle that isn't easy to relate to. Those two factors, among others (like everyone being beautiful), contribute to a lot of sex when all these people congregate in one area.

It makes sense. When else will they be around so many people that are in the type of shape they are. Not to mention all the stress of competing what better way to relax...

I feel so bad for not just the Australians being disrespected, but for all the athletes who have trained their whole lives to get there and have to deal with the literal shit conditions.

RBH

h05fduforgzy2ngntgqe.jpg

Chinese nationals have been warned to tighten their security here after reportedly being involved in several incidents following their arrival this week, including one bizarre robbery involving athlete Shi Dongpeng.

Shi, one of the country's leading athletes who won a silver medal in the 110 metres hurdles at the Doha 2006 Asian Games, had just checked into his hotel on arrival with an accompanying cameraman when approached by a local who appeared drunk.

According to the International Sport Press Association (AIPS), the man then vomited over Shi, who went to clean himself up while the cameraman chased the man out of the hotel.

When they returned, all of the camerman’s equipment had been stolen, as well as baggage belonging to both men.

Surveillance footage showed that they had been the victims of a cleverly organised professional job in which they had been distracted by the apparent drunk.

When the two tried to report the theft to Rio police, they found a two-hour wait due a long line of other people reporting having been mugged.
http://deadspin.com/chinese-hurdler-vomited-on-robbed-of-luggage-on-first-1784577464

So a New Zealand athlete had to flee after being mugged by the cops 3 times, an Australian Paralympian was mugged, and now a Chinese one and the games haven't even started. Plus the Village is unlivable. Good job, Rio.

CTLance

So a New Zealand athlete had to flee after being mugged by the cops 3 times, an Australian Paralympian was mugged, and now a Chinese one and the games haven't even started. Plus the Village is unlivable. Good job, Rio.
At which point in time will the athletes just say "fuck it" and travel home? I mean, they're professionals, but still.

Olympic glory isn't worth getting mugged and contracting cholera

I saw an interview with an open water swimmer who was asked this question and without a millisecond of hesitation said he would take any risk of disease or muggings. Everyone who goes to Rio has trained for hours every day for years to be there, there is little risk they won't take to compete.

DonMigs85

I saw an interview with an open water swimmer who was asked this question and without a millisecond of hesitation said he would take any risk of disease or muggings. Everyone who goes to Rio has trained for hours every day for years to be there, there is little risk they won't take to compete.

Seems like a bad idea if this could potentially end their careers or at least sideline them for a while.

Seems like a bad idea if this could potentially end their careers or at least sideline them for a while.

People train all their life for this exact moment. For the vast majority of participants, this will be their only Olympics. There's no 'take 4 years and hope I keep my form', It's all or nothing. This fact really amplifies the tragedy of what's already taken place, and God forbid what's to come later.

Kyrios

Jesus, can they not have countries that can't handle their shit host the Olympics? Rio was never fucking ready.

At which point in time will the athletes just say "fuck it" and travel home? I mean, they're professionals, but still.

They can't. They've been training their whole lives for just this moment, and they pretty much HAVE to participate. It's a pride thing.

red13th

You can't really blame the competitors for coming to this mess, it just shouldn't have happened in Rio in the first place.

You can't really blame the competitors for coming to this mess, it just shouldn't have happened in Rio in the first place.

Yes. They dedicate themselves to the dream of Olympic glory. Such dedication can't be put aside easily. Really hope that sooner or later the Olympics start being more selective in who is able to host the games.

red13th

They should move the sailing competition to somewhere else, jesus christ why the fuck did they choose Guanabara bay.

Wtf people could have been killed for this shit, who the fuck silenced the fire alarms, at first I was considering watching just out of curiosity, but fuck them they are despicable greedy shits.

eh, far more likely that they never worked in the first place. Wouldn't surprise me if they installed the things without batteries, rio being rio, occam's and all.

I'm sure Nike will have 24/7 security for the basketball team, KD just signed that huge contract so I doubt they want him getting hurt

Future headline: Nike's security team robbed.

They should move the sailing competition to somewhere else, jesus christ why the fuck did they choose Guanabara bay.

postcards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom