• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rio Olympic Village deemed "uninhabitable" by Australian delegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
these Olympics, seriously

20130109.0.png

How weak were these stupid ramps?

It sounds like they've built some terribly engineered stuff if the ramps couldn't hold up to waves and wind. What would have happened after daily use? Fall apart during someone's run and kill them?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/31/australia-olympic-team-thefts-fire-village

Kitty Chiller, the Australian chef de mission, said: “Obviously that is completely unacceptable that a) the fire alarm was disabled and b) that if it had to be, that we weren’t warned about that.” The team have now elected fire wardens for each floor of the 18-storey building.
Australian team had to flee their accommodation after a fire was lit and alarms were switched off. Then was robbed of their belongings. Jesus christ.

Euphor!a

Banned
How is there no move by these countries to formally protest and boycott at this point? I know the athletes train hard, but at some point where does their lives and well-being come into play?

Euphor!a

Banned
How is there no move by these countries to formally protest and boycott at this point? I know the athletes train hard, but at some point where does their lives and well-being come into play?

This is their lives, there is no next time. I would be shocked if any athlete willingly sat out.

I guess they're still holding out hope it all works out in the end like Sochi kinda-sorta did...

Yikes kidnapping and robbery on top of unsanitary conditions and incomplete village. This is making Sochi look like it was run without a hitch from the start.

Alebrije

Belorussia ,Argentina, and other countries also made complains about it

Bielorrusia-Rio_CLAIMA20160726_0097_17.jpg

Bielorrusia-Rio_CLAIMA20160726_0098_17.jpg

It also seems the rooms and buildings won't have air conditioning, so athletes that want AC would need to pay for it.

DonMigs85

I'll never set foot in South America even if I win a free trip. Except maybe for Peru and Argentina, those are relatively safe right?

Kid Ying

I'll never set foot in South America even if I win a free trip. Except maybe for Peru and Argentina, those are relatively safe right?
Judging an entire continent because of the violence of a city (which is not even that violent) is like judging all the United States because of Saint Louis or Detroit...

What an ignorant post. Like every place in the world, there is good places and bad places.

Piggus

I went to Peru while my gf was teaching English there. It was fine, but you have to watch out for petty crime/theft. It was nothing like Brazil though...

Judging an entire continent because of the violence of a city (which is not even that violent) is like judging all the United States because of Saint Louis or Detroit...

What an ignorant post. Like every place in the world, there is good places and bad places.

Agreed. Really dumb thing to say. Been to South America several times, and have always had a great experience.

Klocker

I don't understand why a country that has infrastructure problems like Brazil has is allowed to host the Olympics.

Watch Real Sports with Bryant Gumble this month... wow the IOC corruption is despicable

Was disgusted watching the evidence as to how a supposedly honorable event has become a greedy, dictatorship enabling fiasco

Window

Number 1 rule should be a country must present FIRST world status to host the olympics or any other global event.

Instead of making such a rule (which has some problematic implications) why not accurately evaluate and select a nation/city which can actually genuinely cater to the event's needs? In other words, the focus should be to weed out the corruption.

gspec

Instead of making such a rule (which has some problematic implications) why not accurately evaluate and select a nation/city which can actually genuinely cater to the event's needs? In other words, the focus should be to weed out the corruption.

That is never going to happen.

Wereroku

A country labeled as third world should probably not be wasting their resources hosting the Olympics. Also they will never weed out the corruption because there is just to much money involved.

Window

A country labeled as third world should probably not be wasting their resources hosting the Olympics. Also they will never weed out the corruption because there is just to much money involved.

Well that's the thing. Is investment in Olympics infrastructure necessarily a waste? A short term gain? There have been examples in the past where these facilities have been put to good use. Each bid should be evaluated (fairly) on a case by case basis. There very well maybe instances where a developing country could benefit from the hosting the Olympics and also serve the event's needs well.

But I guess that's not going to happen. You need an honest government putting in a bid only when it benefits the nation and an honest IOC only accepting if they believe the city can effectively manage the event.

shira

It's next to impossible when you have tiny nations or 3rd world countries that have IOC votes that can and are bought.

Are you going to remove them from voting? Then it becomes a first world vote.

The whole fucking system is corrupt.

Kinyou

Well that's the thing. Is investment in Olympics infrastructure necessarily a waste? A short term gain? There have been examples in the past where these facilities have been put to good use. Each bid should be evaluated (fairly) on a case by case basis. There very well maybe instances where a developing country could benefit from the hosting the Olympics and also serve the event's needs well.

But I guess that's not going to happen. You need an honest government putting in a bid only when it benefits the nation and an honest IOC only accepting if they believe the city can effectively manage the event.
What's also a problem is the time factor when all the stuff has to be build from the ground up. That stuff in Socchi was a total rush job, which will then either never be used or will have to renovated extensively.

Edit: Apparently did Sochi's olympic village turn into a ghost town

http://uatoday.tv/society/sochi-506992.html

Kid Ying

They should just rotate the olympics between Canada, US, China, and Europe. They all have money to make things not suck.
Brazil has more money than Canada and most of the european countries though.

And corruption is not equal to a bad show. Japan got a huge corruption problem when holding Nagano 98 and it was a good show. They are having corruption problems again for Tokyo 2020 and i'm sure the Olympics are going to be great

Brazil's problem is that the money ended well before the Olympics. And there is corruption. And the country is in the middle of a crisis, which means less jobs and more thefts.

Maximus.

They should just rotate the olympics between Canada, US, China, and Europe. They all have money to make things not suck.

A lot of these cities would not want to constantly foot the bill. Thankfully for Vancouver, the city and OC were fairly smart and are using most of the changes made to the city or venues added.

The IOC maybe should fix its corruption issues and figure out a way to bring down the costs of hosting.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Big time. The worst thing about Sochi was people having to shit in bizzare situations:

Here, actual LIVES are at stake...

I'm howling at the first one. Like, I'm thinking that could be the next competitive Olympic sport: Competitive shitting.

In any case, this whole run up to the event has been a mess. I can't wait to see how bad it gets DURING the event.

Brazil has more money than Canada and most of the european countries though.

And corruption is not equal to a bad show. Japan got a huge corruption problem when holding Nagano 98 and it was a good show. They are having corruption problems again for Tokyo 2020 and i'm sure the Olympics are going to be great

Brazil's problem is that the money ended well before the Olympics. And there is corruption. And the country is in the middle of a crisis, which means less jobs and more thefts.
Clearly not a stable enough flow to have been considered for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom