• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rio Olympic Village deemed "uninhabitable" by Australian delegation

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

xhAQFpQ.jpg

bounty-wag.gif

sans_pants

avec_pénis
I think people are over reacting.

In terms of support for all sports London is and will be for a long time GOAT. The sell out level for every event is unprecedented.

Doesn't mean Rio will be a disaster. Seems like people are either getting overreacting news, biased news or just want it to fail.

The event will happen with no major hitch.

their waterways are clogged with human shit, they cant afford to pay their emergency services, and apparently their buildings are substandard

lets just pray there isnt a huge zika outbreak after this

DOWN

Banned
People get mad when the developed nations host because they say the developing countries like Russia and Brazil deserve to host and gain tourism... but then bribes, abandoned facilities, and shit like this are exposed and I wonder if it's ever been this bad when a developed nation has hosted in recent history?

Zemm

How come The Olympics and World Cup are always such a disaster?

FIFA tried and succeeded in giving the world cup to countries where new stadiums and infrastructure needed to be built so they could get either themselves or their mates/people who bribe them fat construction contracts etc.

Maybe now FIFA has been shamed they can start giving the world cup to nations where football is big (lol Qatar) and can easily host (lol Qatar).

People get mad when the developed nations host because they say the developing countries like Russia and Brazil deserve to host and gain tourism... but then bribes, abandoned facilities, and shit like this are exposed and I wonder if it's ever been this bad when a developed nation has hosted in recent history?

Rio don't have money to pay their police officers. And they just kicked out their president 2 months ago. It's not about developing country don't have experience to host a global event. This is about the Brazilian inefficient state machine can't handle the global recession and trying desperately to delay the social unrest until the end of Olympic.

It's actually very bad.

Maybe now FIFA has been shamed they can start giving the world cup to nations where football is big (lol Qatar) and can easily host (lol Qatar).

It would have been huge if they had given it to the US. They really missed an opportunity to take the sport to another level here.

Not to mention that the US has enough massive stadiums that we could probably have hosted 3 world cups simultaneously with no issues whatsoever.

DOWN

Banned
Rio don't have money to pay their police officers. And they just kicked out their president 2 months ago. It's not about developing country don't have experience to host a global event. This is about the Brazilian inefficient state machine can't handle the global recession and trying desperately to delay the social unrest until the end of Olympic.

It's actually very bad.
Sochi was shit too tho

Battle Pope

Neo Member
Looking for a source but ABC News Radio this morning said the Australian teams' response to the 'Kangaroo' tweet was: "We would settle for a plumber."

Does it really? I just remember Sochi having similar problems, but what I am hearing from Rio seems much worse.

Well, it remains to be seen how widespead and persistent the problems are, and how much of it is the news media trying to make headlines.

The Sochi issues were not nearly as widespead as the new media made them seem, and thus the games themselves went off without any major hitches.

Well winter "olympic" doesn't count. They are like hotdog contest lol.

Bad opinion is bad.

red13th

I think Rio is much worse than Sochi, most of the stories about Rio actually involve danger to the people in there (zika, contaminated water, cops and hospitals on strike, potential terrorism).

Rio Olympics is a shitshow with poor construction and safety standards, more news as we get it.

In more positive news our spokeswoman has the best name going:

Kitty Chiller

I don't have to spell it out for you do I?

I just really hope the overall construction is sound. Especially in stadium areas where crowds will gather.

When you read about a bike lane built over the sea as a spectacle for the Olympics and it has already collapsed killing two pedestrians it doesn't look like great news ahead. How about the New Zealand athlete already kidnapped by alleged cops/dressed as cops forcing him into large ATM withdraws after a short ride in their car. Gas leaks in rooms where the athletes will be sleeping.

I hope to be very wrong and things go smoothly.

oatmeal

Banned
Seems like this happens every time.

The Beijing olympics had people worried about the air politician, accommodations were shitty. Etc.

2MF

When you read about a bike lane built over the sea as a spectacle for the Olympics and it has already collapsed killing two pedestrians it doesn't look like great news ahead. How about the New Zealand athlete already kidnapped by alleged cops/dressed as cops forcing him into large ATM withdraws after a short ride in their car. Gas leaks in rooms where the athletes will be sleeping.

I hope to be very wrong and things go smoothly.

Just wait until athletes get sick from sewage-infested lagoons with drug resistant bacteria (plenty of articles flying around about that) or there's a zika outbreak among fans returning home etc.

The olympics in general is an overrated boring basic trash.

You see a few athletes do some cool stuff then you completey forget about them and the event, after it's over.

Whatever you say jackass.

Just because you are too shallow and flaky to follow the sports and athletes after the Olympics doesn't mean the rest of us are.

Ok, who did Brazil miss bribing? Clearly someone missed sending a briefcase full of fancy looking money to some higher ups in Australia (great Simpsons episode by the way).

Only thing I remember from the London ceremony was the Queen jumped out of a plane into a bunch of NHS nurses dancing with patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom