• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rio de Janeiro (state) declares 'state of emergency', almost bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKaepora

So up until now these Olympics have:

Zika virus + super-resistant bacteria + failing venue constructions + poor ticket sales + ISIS threatening Rio with a terrorist attack + State declaring bankruptcy.

Is Godzilla going to show up next or what?
No need, when he gets there there's nothing to destroy.

dalin80

Banned
IOC doesn't care. The only ones who get screwed are the host country citizens.

The Olympics are a parasite, basically.

It took a while but London broke even / made a small profit on the 2012 Olympics and considering how well that went it was very much worth it.

Massa

They declared state of emergency so they can sign contracts without bidding and receive federal resources despite being in debt. It's just a maneuver to spend more money than they should, and the people will be paying for it (in taxes) for years to come.

A tweet from our impeached president from yesterday claiming responsibility for the country's great state to receive the Olympics at least allows us Brazilians to laugh a little about it.

arevin01

I dunno how Rio won the bid to host the Olympics with their current state the city is in. Bribery must have been it.

Rio opening ceremony

jackass-fireworks.gif

Social

I've been in Brazil for almost 4 years now and I'm getting the fuck out in a few months. Won't be looking back for a loooong time. I'm sure we haven't seen the end of this and I'm expecting really bad things to happen soon.

mantidor

I've been in Brazil for almost 4 years now and I'm getting the fuck out in a few months. Won't be looking back for a loooong time. I'm sure we haven't seen the end of this and I'm expecting really bad things to happen soon.

Where are you and what do you do? I've been here five years and things are bad but not to the level you are saying.

Im so happy my city (chicago) did not end up hosting. All it seems to to do is destabilize the economy.
I remember the hype all over the city surrounding this. I think we would have been much better off with it than Brazil considering we have arenas and stadiums already built but fuck having to deal with the headache

Which Olympic Games ended up remotely worthwhile for the host city? The only ones even remotely close that I could think of arguing are '84 and '92

Mecha

But the prestige!

Those with money will surely start investing in Brazil, but only once they demolish enough poor peoples homes to replace with hotels, stadiums, golf courses, and pools. Could all of this time, effort, and money have been put into something that doesn't ruin peoples lives for a 16 day event? Perhaps, but perhaps all of this will somehow improve the livelihoods of Brazilians, and its that very small possibility that makes this all worth it.

Showaddy

Which Olympic Games ended up remotely worthwhile for the host city? The only ones even remotely close that I could think of arguing are '84 and '92

Worked out pretty well for London, never seen the City so alive in all my years living here. Economically it's made a small profit, built some interest in the sports and helped rejuvenate the East end of the city.

Nothing spectacular but definitely worth it.

Saya

They should just built a permanent summer Olympic park in Greece and have it held there every 4 years.

And a permanent park for the winter olympics as well, Canada would be great for that.

Olympics just seem to exist to ruin the host country's peoples' lives.

They won the rights to World Cup 2014 back in 2003, they been spending for a while now, along with major corruption...this wasn't cause by Olympics, it just being made to look that way..

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Zika virus + super-resistant bacteria + failing venue constructions + poor ticket sales + ISIS threatening Rio with a terrorist attack + State declaring bankruptcy.

Pacific Time 2!

milanbaros

Member?
do countries hosting the Olympics eventually recoup their investment?

If you count the total benefit of the regeneration of Stratford, which is still in process today. And you view the Olynpics as part of the process of East end regeneration. Plus the economic benefit it had from boosting London's brand I would say London recouped their investment many many times over. It was a massive success which won over all but the most hardened cynics.

tlstls

Banned
Well since the state (who get the name from the city) is reponsible for the public security... I would stay away from that place and some nasty rumors are circulating... I would not like to be in Rio in the middle of a police strike... they are delaying the salaries of the military police...

Well Rio is know to make deals with drug dealers in the durations of international events... since they have NO money...

Neo C.

Big events can be beneficial when the country is financially stable and check & balance work. Switzerland wasn't negatively affected by the EC 2008 because most extravagant spendings went through a democratic process.

Doing olympic games in developing countries is stupid.

Sagroth

You forgot swimming in sewage.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Big events can be beneficial when the country is financially stable and check & balance work. Switzerland wasn't negatively affected by the EC 2008 because most extravagant spendings went through a democratic process.

Doing olympic games in developing countries is stupid.

Its generally works out somewhat ok for countries with the infrastructure already largely in place.

Jezbollah

Have the Olympics/World Cup always been White Elephants or is their devastating effects on the host nation's economy a recent thing?

It depends on two things:

1) The current infrastructure in place to host these events (if more facilities are in place, the less infrastructure is required to be built and prepared for it)

2) The financial ability of the country/city involved to pay for anything required in 1)

It is clearly evident, with regards to the Olympics, that Rio are getting nailed on both points.

It was grossly irresponsible for both the City to bid for the Games, and for the IOC to award the games to Rio. It was like the lessons from Athens were never learnt.

hobozero

Vancouver worked out pretty well

Vancouver worked out well because the majority of the ~$8bil cost was public funds, mostly federal. So the cost to the city itself was very low in relation to the infrastructure improvements they received.

Rest of the country got some flag waving and diddly squat else. Though I guess that is gonna be the case for any regional event.

Just bitter Nova Scotia still doesn't have a single decent friggin' stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom