• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rio Olympic Village deemed "uninhabitable" by Australian delegation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hip Hop

Brazil has more money than Canada and most of the european countries though.

And corruption is not equal to a bad show. Japan got a huge corruption problem when holding Nagano 98 and it was a good show. They are having corruption problems again for Tokyo 2020 and i'm sure the Olympics are going to be great

Brazil's problem is that the money ended well before the Olympics. And there is corruption. And the country is in the middle of a crisis, which means less jobs and more thefts.

Really? I had no idea. But I guess infrastructure is not up to the other countries though, right? Which means they have to work extra hard to make it, which I guess invalidates the "more money" thing.

shira

A lot of these cities would not want to constantly foot the bill. Thankfully for Vancouver, the city and OC were fairly smart and are using most of the changes made to the city or venues added.

The IOC maybe should fix its corruption issues and figure out a way to bring down the costs of hosting.

I think at this point the games are not profitable.

You have to put in so much money for stadiums, security and such.

It's honestly better to just host them in cities which already have facilities.

Kid Ying

Clearly not a stable enough flow to have been considered for it.
When it was chosen, it was the sixth biggest economy in the world. Now it's 9th in the middle of a political and economic crisis though.

Rio is a big producer of petroleum and the low prices right now hurt the state the most. They betted all of their chips on it.

Window

When it was chosen, it was the sixth biggest economy in the world. Now it's 9th in the middle of a political and economic crisis though.

Rio is a big producer of petroleum and the low prices right now hurt the state the most. They betted all of their chips on it.
Is GDP really a relevant measure in this instance? Or even GDP per capita? What about tax revenue? I imagine the national government funds the operation? Even then would it be better to look at the budget surplus/deficits and debts to get a better idea of how well the monetary needs can be met?

sangreal

Watch Real Sports with Bryant Gumble this month... wow the IOC corruption is despicable

Was disgusted watching the evidence as to how a supposedly honorable event has become a greedy, dictatorship enabling fiasco

this is on now. absolutely maddening

Did anyone watch this weeks Real Sports? it was a 90min episode on the olympics and how fucked up they all really are, from the IOC to the host countries. Really eye opening stuff. I mean you hear how the olympics can fuck up the lives of the people in the host countries but this shit really dove deeper.

Seems like a poor way to measure who's hosting the games.

Kid Ying

Is GDP really a relevant measure in this instance? Or even GDP per capita? What about tax revenue? I imagine the national government funds the operation? Even then would it be better to look at the budget surplus/deficits and debts to get a better idea of how well the monetary needs can be met?
The biggest onus is on the host city, where the National government only borrow money here and there.

Also, i agree! My post was a response to another one saying that the Olympics should be only hosted in countries with a lot of money. Money is not the problem with Brazil... Usually. Rio was in a good place some years ago, but these days it sucks because of bad decisions made by the government. When the Ioc chose the city, the situation was very different and no one expected that it would get this bad by the time the Olympics started.

There is some stuff that i blame the ioc for, but much of the hate for them here is unjustified. The biggest complain most of the people make is the Guanabara Bay and they tried to change the locafion and the athletes shot down the Idea. Not much to say.

I see this all the time on liveleak and other vids of brazil, one dude got straight up got shot to pieces by an AK, shit was brutal. Brazil needs more off duty cops stopping criminals.

Yeah, people thought that. So the cops in Rio eventually formed militias and took over some favelas.

And started charging for pretty much the same things the traffickers used to.

Endemic corruption is kind of a hard problem to tackle.

When I was living in Haiti they had something similar. However, it should be noted that in Haiti kids who didn't steal or meet their monthly quota were either toss out of the gang, killed, or beaten.

It could be the same for some of these kids.

N.Domixis

Banned
When I was living in Haiti they had something similar. However, it should be noted that in Haiti kids who didn't steal or meet their monthly quota were either toss out of the gang, killed, or beaten.

It could be the same for some of these kids.
Well they shouldn't be joining gangs in the first place. Should have stayed in school to get an education.

Man, I got a really bad feeling about this whole thing. They've been arresting IS sympathizers there in the lead up to the games, who knows how ready their security is.

Man, I got a really bad feeling about this whole thing. They've been arresting IS sympathizers there in the lead up to the games, who knows how ready their security is.

The terrorism fear is probably the silliest of them all. As the Justice Minister commented, those people were mad incompetent, had no direct contact with IS, and were so utterly stupid that they were trying to buy guns online. Brasil has never bombed IS either. The whole of south america has never been targeted, apparently.

As far as "who knows", no one. Same as it would be if the event were held anywhere else.

Athletes are in far more risk of getting shot by local criminals and police, tbh.

My mistake, did some research and their educational system lacks teachers and supplies. Didn't think it was that bad.

It lacks everything. You ain't keeping kids in school if the situation back at home is miserable.

Piecake

My mistake, did some research and their educational system lacks teachers and supplies. Didn't think it was that bad.

You should watch City of God. I am sure it is sensationalized and things might be better now, but it should give you an idea why some kids arent in school and arent at home with their family/friends

Kid Ying

You should watch City of God. I am sure it is sensationalized and things might be better now, but it should give you an idea why some kids arent in school and arent at home with their family/friends
Things got better over the years, but there are a lot of places that things are still like this (or even worse). And Rio is a big city. In other cities around the state things can get even worse. There are some pretty poor cities out there.

Calamari41

41 > 38
It's next to impossible when you have tiny nations or 3rd world countries that have IOC votes that can and are bought.

Are you going to remove them from voting? Then it becomes a first world vote.

So? If this is the result of the third world vote, maybe it would be best to have the first world make the decision going forward.

So? If this is the result of the third world vote, maybe it would be best to have the first world make the decision going forward.

Yeah you're right. Actually why even give poor people the ability to vote on anything, if they're all going to vote "wrong", right? Only the top 5% in riches and education should be able to vote, as they're obviously the only ones capable of having rational thought.

Kid Ying

Now, some girls of the australian team got in quarantine because of a virus. They actually came with it from Rome though.

What the hell is going on the australian team.

jbug617

Banned
Dellavedova posted this. I think this is from Rio
Co0d3-QWgAA4WzG.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom