• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal has gone GOLD!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
She looks like a regular human being. I don’t get why people are so obsessed with her looks.

Yeah, and actually she looks very decent, nothing near "ugly". Maybe people need to watch less celebrities and anime and go out and see how people look on average. I'm actually happy that they didn't oversexualize her and made her a believable female astronaut.

Astronauts_Vert_v1-01.jpg

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think you nailed it. It must be the anime weirdos.

That's also a problem in anime, most characters look samey, even from different studios, to the point you see extremely weird characters to make them standout. People are really overreacting here.

EjMAsZqXkAECit7.jpg:large

Maybe she has a boyish hairstyle, but I would expect it understandable for practicality, same with female soldiers. Something similar to shaving facial hair in men during WW I and WW II for better protection against chemical attacks using masks and avoiding gas leakage from beards.

WW1-masques-gaz-14-18-1.jpg

Which later became a trend to have a clean shave vs any facial hair in most of the 20th century. Now facial hair is trendy again.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Yeah, and actually she looks very decent, nothing near "ugly". Maybe people need to watch less celebrities and anime and go out and see how people look on average. I'm actually happy that they didn't oversexualize her and made her a believable female astronaut.

Not one of those has even half as masculine a face as the Returnal protagonist... sorry but they clearly made their target design be "vaguely androgynous and decisively unattractive", not "realistic random woman"

Returnal-Trailer-PT.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not one of those has even half as masculine a face as the Returnal protagonist... sorry but they clearly made their target design be "vaguely androgynous and decisively unattractive", not "realistic random woman"

Returnal-Trailer-PT.jpg

You really want her to be so soft and yet a fighter? You know, this is not your typical JRPG where you see an extremely thin female holding a gigantic warhammer or a massive sword. In terms of your so-called masculinity she looks pretty close to the woman on the right.

She looks convincing as a discoverer astronaut female that is highly trained for combat as well.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Cant wait for more reviews of other games by some posters.

Breath of The Wild Sequel: "could only wank to the protagonist when I squinted my eyes" 5/10

Halo Infinite: "by not being able to see Master Chief, I was aroused by the endless possibilities of what he looks like" 10/10

Returnal: "the protagonist wasn't attractive so I was able to use the dualsense with both hands. Excellent game mechanics but no sexual chemistry. 0/10 worst game ever"

ToadMan

"If you don't have any arguments, attack the person." It's ok to move on kid. :messenger_sunglasses:

What argument is there?

You seem to be expressing that a video game that doesn’t give you a boner is deficient. Sexualisation of inappropriate material is an indicator of serious mental health problems.

Maybe get therapy before you end up in a darker place ...?

Last edited:
Honestly, didn’t think once about the physical appearance of the character, until this thread. The devs probably didn’t think she needed to be sexualized, which makes sense. Excited for this game.

Keihart

Besides the granny face of the protagonist, the animations while shooting look super jank, i wonder why they didn't found a way to make it look natural instead of having the good old crab walk. It's like watching EDF animations when shooting.
I mean, even drake, that can shoot in almost every direction, doesn't have crab walking anymore.

I wanna see more gameplay, i'm convinced that a carefully picked montage showcasing combat and systems would move some extra units at launch.

This thread is showing me how much GP is shaking up the market. It’s becoming harder to justify spending 70-80 bucks on a game when you played Gears of War 5 + all the dlc + Hivebusters for free at launch. Or The Medium. And when you know that Stalker 2 is coming day one for free. Or when you have more free Xbox games to play than you external drive can hold. Sony will have to address this new reality or the only games that will sell for them considerably in the future will be God of War and whatever Naughty dog releases.

You can rent videogames since the 90s or even earlier than that but I wouldn't know I wasn't born yet. Videogames at full price at launch continues to sell despite that. But the expectation for a full priced game has definitely increased throughout the years.

Gamers expect certain quality for a full-priced game. If they can't fill that, they better come free on a $1 rental online service.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
What argument is there?

You seem to be expressing that a video game that doesn’t give you a boner is deficient. Sexualisation of inappropriate material is an indicator of serious mental health problems.

Maybe get therapy before you end up in a darker place ...?
Read my replies and maybe you'll understand where I'm coming from.
Or you can pretend this is about sexualization and call it a day.
I've covered the point in detail instead of accusing others to have a mental health problem, but hey... "attack the person".
Old tactic that show how much you guys are opinion parrots and can't think for themselves.

Vae_Victis

Banned
ITT a lot of people who should jerk off to anime and Instagram photoshops celebs a bit less, and try to meet some actual normal women in real life.

If you unironically think that this person

was created to purposely look as ugly and unappealing as a woman can possibly be, you need very very hard to leave your strange mental bubble.

Ppl should be excited for the gameplay... not for the main character.

This is videogames in 2021.

Either ignoring the gameplay to focus on moaning about the character design or ignoring the gameplay to cry about people moaning about the character design.

Yes, the character design is a little bit mundane. No, this doesn't mean everyone who would prefer a more attractive design needs to see a therapist.

The game itself actually looks pretty interesting and hopefully it will be awesome.

I just hope the games legacy won't be the kind of pointless character design debate.

Lokaum D+

reading this thread i come to a conclusion that must be hard to have only multiplat and indie games to play on gamepass ( dont get me wrong gamepass is amazing, but i can play 90% of those games on my ps4 or PC ) and not have exclusive games and unique experiences like Sony games deliver

Zimmy68

I'm with you. Who the hell needs attractive characters to play as.
I'm hoping the next GTA game uses this guy as the model. No beefed up dudes for us!
1-usastronauts.jpg

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
ITT a lot of people who should jerk off to anime and Instagram photoshops celebs a bit less, and try to meet some actual normal women in real life.

If you unironically think that this person

was created to purposely look as ugly and unappealing as a woman can possibly be, you need very very hard to leave your strange mental bubble.
She's clearly modeled on 2 things: (1) vaguely butch lesbian (eg. Rapinoe), and (2) androgynous sci-fi (the eyes in particular--David Bowie / Ziggy Stardust).

And it's easy to see the thought process: "she's a badass woman protagonist, so we have to make sure that she is modeled after gender bending or lesbian tropes, because retaining any hints of femininity in her would make her weak and stereotypical."

It's written right on the surface of her design. And it's perfectly rational to say: no, I have no interest in supporting devs who think this way.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
She's clearly modeled on 2 things: (1) vaguely butch lesbian (eg. Rapinoe), and (2) androgynous sci-fi (the eyes in particular--David Bowie / Ziggy Stardust).

And it's easy to see the thought process: "she's a badass woman protagonist, so we have to make sure that she is modeled after gender bending or lesbian tropes, because retaining any hints of femininity in her would make her weak and stereotypical."

It's written right on the surface of her design. And it's perfectly rational to say: no, I have no interest in supporting devs who think this way.

So what's your take on the boss from mgs3?

latest

Dressing like that?

maxresdefault.jpg

Jon Neu

Banned
The world is really going to shit when people start to complain about a character in a videogame...jesus christ...what have we go down to?

Are they?

The point is always the obvious political & feminist agenda behind making your female characters ugly and androgynous. Nobody cares about a videogame character not being fappable, but it's the silly ad hominem used to try to silence any criticism of the obvious political hand behind this trend.

Yoboman

Are they?

The point is always the obvious political & feminist agenda behind making your female characters ugly and androgynous. Nobody cares about a videogame character not being fappable, but it's the silly ad hominem used to try to silence any criticism of the obvious political hand behind this trend.
You guys infest every thread with this shit and then, like clockwork, wheel out the “what about the woke agenda?” speech

It’s boring and nobody cares as much as you think they should

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
How can it be an indie game when it is published by Sony. You lot that call it an indie game are a joke.
So this isn’t an indie game but cyberpunk and the Witcher 3 is... what a time to be alive...

Three

So this isn’t an indie game but cyberpunk and the Witcher 3 is... what a time to be alive...
Yes? If you want to call it a game you are not interested in then do so, if you want to question its budget and call it AA or whatever then do so. "Indie game" it is not though even if you were talking typical indie budgets.

Top Bottom