• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal has gone GOLD!

That's what I want. I HATE when a movie/game/show/etc. pulls the "it was all just a dream" twist.
I would say it really depends on the context. If it's a comedy or a kids TV show or something then fine. Having a dream episode can be fun in context.

Here it would be a bit odd because the game clearly has an action sci-fi feel to it so a narrative of "it's all a dream" just totally disconnects the story and the gameplay.

Its an interesting idea for a game but I think it ultimately fails. Just the same as I think the Assassin's Creed segments that take place outside the Animus are a massive fail too. Even if they are tied together. Play as an awesome assassin for a few hours then the main character wakes up and you have to play this really weird and far less interesting modern day stuff.

I don't like it and hope that they won't go for something like that here. How disappointing if the whole crashed on an alien planet and fighting cool monsters thing is just basically that the main character is in therapy and this is their dream or whatever.

Problem with Sony is they need these critical reviews to infuse the hype cycle for a $70 game like this. If this was a Plus game they could ignore game critics but not when asking for that much money. Hopefully they added enough woke winks and nods to get the Twitter seal of approval.
The worst part here is that we have the first genuine PS5 exclusive since Demon's Souls at launch and there is actually not a lot of hype.

It still looks like the foreseeable future is mostly games that have a current and last gen version.

You'd think this would be hyped up as something you can only play on PS5 and so the price is for that true next gen game. Seems very subdued.

Nice point, but I've never seen a Sony first party title show frame drops in their trailers. That's wht I worry.
Yeah I get that, though it is Housemarque's first AAA game, so we've got to cut them a little slack on the pre-release footage. I'm sure some of the great people at Sony's support studios (XDEV, VASG) have pitched in to help iron out performance issues and bugs for the last couple of months of dev, to just bring it up to the PS Studios level of polish :)

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Well, at this point since the C2077 "incident", I'm very skeptical about any "Hey people, we've gone Gold ! Yeeahhaaa".
Let's see...

Sw0pDiller

I mean, i have reserves about the game but that leak seems more fake than the blm movement...
Rumours or leaks dont have to be true to be damaging. That's something a certain group of warriors know all too well. When youtubers, infuencers and websites blow it up and make a narrative out of it, it cannot be undone.

xrnzaaas

Well, at this point since the C2077 "incident", I'm very skeptical about any "Hey people, we've gone Gold ! Yeeahhaaa".
Let's see...
I think we're safe here. All of Housemarque's previous games launched without any problems. The game probably needed some work with the framerate based on the gameplay videos, but I wouldn't expect any major issues.

Arkam

I know they don’t have it in my region yet, but dont they have this already with PS Now? it’s exactly what gamepass is, is it not? Netflix for games for 10 bucks a month.
PS Now is nothing like GP! GP has like 200 games, as where PS Now only has..... well like 1000 games. Simply apples and bananas my friend.

On a more serious note. I am actually more hyped for this game than I was a few weeks ago. No new news or (real) previews yet, but a strong feeling I will need/want a game like this after I finish Yakuza Zero in the next week or two.

OneTruth

Banned
How many games on PS5 have PS Now and how many new games is available in PS Now in Day One?. ZERO?. PS Now is good if only play in old games from PS4.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This is one of the few times I think reviews are going to influence my decision. At over $75 with tax I am not seeing the content justify the price tag yet. Reviews are going to be have stellar for me to jump in.

Elog

You may have a point but i'm kinda optimistic, housemarque know that a frenetic roguelite need a stable framerate, and the machine is more than capable of doing this with this level of graphic fidelity (the game onestly look worse than some ps4 titles to me).
This is a point I do not get - when I look at those screens they look really good in terms of texture quality and amount, geometry complexity and light.

Last edited:

GymWolf

This is a point I do not get - when I look at those screens they look really good in terms of texture quality and amount, geometry complexity and light.
It looks good, but not nextgen good imo.

Also we really don't have a long gameplay video in real 4k to judge the graphics, yt compression kills a lot of details.
I'm gonna save any final impression on the graphic until the game is out.

tommib

It looks good, but not nextgen good imo.

Also we really don't have a long gameplay video in real 4k to judge the graphics, yt compression kills a lot of details.
I'm gonna save any final impression on the graphic until the game is out.
At 60 FPS with the texture details it has and the amount of effects it has going on it totally looks next gen to me. Opinions. 🤷🏻

Top Bottom