• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal has gone GOLD!

This thread is showing me how much GP is shaking up the market. It’s becoming harder to justify spending 70-80 bucks on a game when you played Gears of War 5 + all the dlc + Hivebusters for free at launch. Or The Medium. And when you know that Stalker 2 is coming day one for free. Or when you have more free Xbox games to play than you external drive can hold. Sony will have to address this new reality or the only games that will sell for them considerably in the future will be God of War and whatever Naughty dog releases.

We’re going to see these gamepass fanatics post the same copy n pasta in every ps exclusive thread aren’t we?

Dr Bass

We’re going to see these gamepass fanatics post the same copy n pasta in every ps exclusive thread aren’t we?
It's odd, and makes me wonder if there are people astroturfing here. I don't follow everyone's user accounts though, so maybe that's not what's occurring. It's funny that people keep using the word "free" for playing something as old as Gears of War 5, which is a series that got stale in the 360 era. It's not free, you're paying every month to have access to it. Even after you're done with it and may never play it again. It's the same issue as Netflix, it needs constantly new content, or the exact content you want, to justify the monthly payment.

Regardless I definitely don't understand the "I'm still paying to play a game from an old platform that's approaching two years old" argument as a retort to regular, actual next-gen, exclusives being released on a competing platform. This one hits in a month. Ratchet two months after that. And I can choose to pay for them or not. Buy digitally. Or physically if I want to resell when I'm done and recoup most of the costs.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Despite going Gold, Cyberpunk 2077 has been delayed once more though this time only by a month. The latest delay pushes the game back one month, despite it being labeled as complete, and the studio over at CD Projekt RED issued a statement alongside the news.27 okt. 2020

don't trust shit

Last edited:

rob305

LOL didnt realize this was a $70 game, always thought it was a $40-50 mid tier game (like the medium, kena etc)

Good thing I have no interest in this game

Paulxo87

Game has 7/10 written all over it. I'll wait until they give it away for free which will be by the end of the year

ToadMan

The $70 didn’t come out of nowhere.

Whoever decides the RRP at Sony has evidently decided this fits the quality and content requirement for that price point. From the tone of some comments here you’d imagine Sony took a game they’d have priced at $19.99 and stuck a $70 price on it.

Studios grow and develop - Insomniac seemed to be in the wilderness until they got the Spider-Man job and now no one doubts they’re a AAA studio. Same with Sucker Punch and GoT - a game many said had been sent to die from a studio no one really rated.

This could be Housemarque’s turn (although I’ll admit that Sony would be on quite a roll if they can develop yet another new IP and studio into a major property in such a short time - there’s got to be a misstep coming somewhere).

Anyway it’s described as a fast paced sci fi shooter with bullet hell and rogue-like elements, seemingly high production values and an overarching story. Could’ve been describing Vanquish or Doom or any number of other games that were released at full price before. It doesn’t though, sound like it’s describing the Housemarque games from PS4 or PS3 eras.

Personally I’m on the wait for reviews/feedback track before purchase because I’m not sure it’s really my kind of game (although I loved vanquish). But sure if it reviews well, is challenging but fair and has an “ending” then I’ll certainly consider it. Anything 9/10+ is insta - buy. 8/10 - probably wait unless it’s got some element I particularly want. Lower than that - PS+ probably.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Does it have gold in the disc? $70 for some indie game is nuts
Bait GIF

jm89

Whoever decides the RRP at Sony has evidently decided this fits the quality and content requirement for that price point. From the tone of some comments here you’d imagine Sony took a game they’d have priced at $19.99 and stuck a $70 price on it.
I find it hard to believe every single game will justify that price tag, they have applied that price to every AAA first party game they release regardless of quality, unless they can see the future. Sony need that price to stick early on to make people accept this as apart of the new generation, so it needs to be for all their AAA and maybe AA games.

vpance

Studios grow and develop - Insomniac seemed to be in the wilderness until they got the Spider-Man job and now no one doubts they’re a AAA studio. Same with Sucker Punch and GoT - a game many said had been sent to die from a studio no one really rated.

This could be Housemarque’s turn (although I’ll admit that Sony would be on quite a roll if they can develop yet another new IP and studio into a major property in such a short time - there’s got to be a misstep coming somewhere).

Anyway it’s described as a fast paced sci fi shooter with bullet hell and rogue-like elements, seemingly high production values and an overarching story. Could’ve been describing Vanquish or Doom or any number of other games that were released at full price before. It doesn’t though, sound like it’s describing the Housemarque games from PS4 or PS3 eras.

Personally I’m on the wait for reviews/feedback track before purchase because I’m not sure it’s really my kind of game (although I loved vanquish). But sure if it reviews well, is challenging but fair and has an “ending” then I’ll certainly consider it. Anything 9/10+ is insta - buy. 8/10 - probably wait unless it’s got some element I particularly want. Lower than that - PS+ probably.

The price decision could be part of some deal HM worked out with Sony. Maybe Sony even pushed for it.

There could be some sort of protection for them in case of bomba sales. Or maybe the game was just straight up funded in part by Sony, so HM is bearing little risk.

ToadMan

I find it hard to believe every single game will justify that price tag, they have applied that price to every AAA first party game they release regardless of quality, unless they can see the future. Sony need that price to stick early on to make people accept this as apart of the new generation, so it needs to be for all their AAA and maybe AA games.

Well if it’s AAA then by definition it’s a full price game. Sony putting a $70 rrp presumably means they believe it satisfies the quality and content of such a game.

ToadMan

The price decision could be part of some deal HM worked out with Sony. Maybe Sony even pushed for it.

There could be some sort of protection for them in case of bomba sales. Or maybe the game was just straight up funded in part by Sony, so HM is bearing little risk.

Exactly right. And if Sony pushed for it, they also pushed Housemarque to deliver a game that justifies that price tag in terms of quality and content.

Sony pulled back destruction all stars when they realised it wouldn’t offer the value they wanted. They haven’t changed their mind on Returnal as yet.

Nothing i have seen in this game, looks like in belongs in a £70 game lol, and it dont have the hype of no mans sky, so what are sony and housemarque thinking, its gonna flop period.

skit_data

they also have not launched a 70 dollar game before. The reviewers are going to weigh this accordingly with regards to their final score
I would be surprised to see such a steep decline in ratings, especially when backed by Sony as a publisher. Its not impossible but Id say more things point to it being 70+

Paulxo87

I would be surprised to see such a steep decline in ratings, especially when backed by Sony as a publisher. Its not impossible but Id say more things point to it being 70+

FYI I don't even consider a 7/10 a bad game lol. Just not one of this style/gameplay that i'd run to pay 70 for out of the gate. We don't know much about the game still.. Maybe it has actual length/depth to justify the price who knows but I doubt it IMO.

One would hope they would take the price into consideration. Most don't though.

I also don't like those reviewers that base the price off PSNow or Gamepass. Tons of people still buy games so the MSRP should still be studied instead of saying the game is worth it because it's part of a subscription service.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

jm89

Well if it’s AAA then by definition it’s a full price game. Sony putting a $70 rrp presumably means they believe it satisfies the quality and content of such a game.
You can't guarantee quality or content. Any one of there devs could work on a AAA game which ends up not staisfying any of those criteria and ends up being a dud, but sony would still sell it to you for $70.

GHG

I'm looking forward to playing it at some point, just not at that price.

The game will bomb because of the price.

This game will also get destroyed by reviewers because of the price. Hades will remain the pinnacle of roguelikes and the price is much fairer.

Sony only have themselves to blame.

It's odd, and makes me wonder if there are people astroturfing here. I don't follow everyone's user accounts though, so maybe that's not what's occurring. It's funny that people keep using the word "free" for playing something as old as Gears of War 5, which is a series that got stale in the 360 era. It's not free, you're paying every month to have access to it. Even after you're done with it and may never play it again. It's the same issue as Netflix, it needs constantly new content, or the exact content you want, to justify the monthly payment.

Regardless I definitely don't understand the "I'm still paying to play a game from an old platform that's approaching two years old" argument as a retort to regular, actual next-gen, exclusives being released on a competing platform. This one hits in a month. Ratchet two months after that. And I can choose to pay for them or not. Buy digitally. Or physically if I want to resell when I'm done and recoup most of the costs.

Definitely astrosurfing. You’ll notice there’s lots of accounts created in November 2020 (next generation launch) and they all have 100 and a lot less posts. The same accounts do nothing but parrot 90% gamepass and console war. Occasionally the odd non game pass post to ‘balance’.

Means they’re posting not even once a day and when they do it’s some shameless gamepass promotion. The ‘person’ i quoted did nothing but a shameless game pass promotion which wasn’t even remotely relevant. They don’t even reply when they’re quoted and called out. They just go to the next thread to promote.

jm89

Definitely astrosurfing. You’ll notice there’s lots of accounts created in November 2020 (next generation launch) and they all have 100 and a lot less posts. The same accounts do nothing but parrot 90% gamepass and console war. Occasionally the odd non game pass post to ‘balance’.

Means they’re posting not even once a day and when they do it’s some shameless gamepass promotion. The ‘person’ i quoted did nothing but a shameless game pass promotion which wasn’t even remotely relevant. They don’t even reply when they’re quoted and called out. They just go to the next thread to promote.
Didn't Xbox have some company that was astrosurfing for them back in 2013/2014? I remember they tried that shit on gaf or reddit and got caught. But this time they have unpaid shills who have a 7 year old grudge.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Well said.

Also, I think Sony has taken that misstep with Destruction All Stars: not enough content, generic game, poor control, $70 price for a $20 game, etc. It's fun but nowhere near the PlayStation Studios quality.

Re HouseMarque, I think it will be another excellent game, but won't set the critics' reviews on fire. It'll probably end up between 75-80 on Metacritic, but user reviews will be much better and sales will justify a sequel or another PS-backed HM game in a year or two. I'm expecting a situation not unlike Days Gone, but I'm hope I'm wrong, and Returnal becomes a critical and commercial success. HM deserves it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It’s becoming harder to justify spending 70-80 bucks on a game when you played Gears of War 5 + all the dlc + Hivebusters for free at launch.

The value on Returnal is amazing! I just pay $70 and play the game for free at launch? Amazing! /s

ToadMan

You can't guarantee quality or content. Any one of there devs could work on a AAA game which ends up not staisfying any of those criteria and ends up being a dud, but sony would still sell it to you for $70.

At this stage Sony know if this is a game they can/should charge $70 for so absolutely they are putting the price tag because they believe it meets the quality and content requirement they set.

That doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll review well or sell well.

The $70 rrp isn’t an accident it’s choice.

Didn't Xbox have some company that was astrosurfing for them back in 2013/2014? I remember they tried that shit on gaf or reddit and got caught. But this time they have unpaid shills who have a 7 year old grudge.

Yeah they were active on gaf and got banned. Their posts were hilarious though.

ToadMan

Well said.

Also, I think Sony has taken that misstep with Destruction All Stars: not enough content, generic game, poor control, $70 price for a $20 game, etc. It's fun but nowhere near the PlayStation Studios quality.

Re HouseMarque, I think it will be another excellent game, but won't set the critics' reviews on fire. It'll probably end up between 75-80 on Metacritic, but user reviews will be much better and sales will justify a sequel or another PS-backed HM game in a year or two. I'm expecting a situation not unlike Days Gone, but I'm hope I'm wrong, and Returnal becomes a critical and commercial success. HM deserves it.

Destrucuton all stars is the thing that makes me think Sony are more confident in this.

Bear in mind they pulled DA a month or two before launch and put it up as a PS+ game.

I think if returnal wasn’t meeting their standard for full price they’d have made a change already.

Personally I enjoyed HM games too - particularly Stardust and Alienation so if this is a breakout game for them then that’s great.

jm89

At this stage Sony know if this is a game they can/should charge $70 for so absolutely they are putting the price tag because they believe it meets the quality and content requirement they set.

That doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll review well or sell well.

The $70 rrp isn’t an accident it’s choice.
If a AAA game doesn't meet those criteria then they end up releasing a game lower than $70? I really doubt sony want a different pricing scheme for their AAA games. Maybe they do it and i'll eat my words.

$70 is defintley a choice but i doubt it's to do with quality or content, one of the defense that jim ryan made was that gaming provides hours of entertainment thus it should be priced higher than movies or tv shows, problem is hours of entertainment is such a poor metric as you could spend hours grinding or doing copy and paste side missions it doesn't reflect actual quality or good content.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

Sorry bud but you’ve really lost me here.

That’s exactly what they did with Miles Morales so... yeah? Possibly? Maybe not this time? Best wait for reviews.

Insomniac and Sucker Punch were in the wilderness... no one rated Sucker Punch? What the fuck?

I have no idea what you’re getting at, unless you’re trying to repaint history so Sony look like some sort of Studio saviour, as Sly Cooper, Infamous, Ratchet and Clank and Resistance Fall of Man are some of the most beloved franchises on PS2 and PS3. They are some of my most beloved games of all time. Those 2 studios were about as nailed on as you can get for quality. Why are you trying to make it sound like they were some little tin pot studios?

Resogun was quality for sure though, first or second PS4 game I platted alongside BF4.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

That’s exactly what they did with Miles Morales so... yeah? Possibly? Maybe not this time? Best wait for reviews.

Insomniac and Sucker Punch were in the wilderness... no one rated Sucker Punch? What the fuck?

I have no idea what you’re getting at, unless you’re trying to repaint history so Sony look like some sort of Studio saviour, as Sly Cooper, Infamous, Ratchet and Clank and Resistance Fall of Man are some of the most beloved franchises on PS2 and PS3. They are some of my most beloved games of all time. Those 2 studios were about as nailed on as you can get for quality. Why are you trying to make it sound like they were some little tin pot studios?

Resogun was quality for sure though, first or second PS4 game I platted alongside BF4.
There were literally dozens of posts on the internet where people were saying that Sony is sending SuckerPunch and Ghost of Tsushima to death by releasing the game that close to TLOU2.

Both those games turned out to be massive success with 6+ million copies sold.

skit_data

RmvINjm.jpg

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ok? It’s £50 RRP (68 freedom bucks) in the UK when every PS4 game was £40 physical, including TLOU 2, on launch.

Blood and Wine. £16 on release. 30 hour campaign, 90 missions, new map. There’s some serious corporate boot lickers posting on here at times.

I too can afford a £70 game. To be honest I can afford a £300 game, or more. It’s not a question of affordability, and I doubt it is for anyone posting on an enthusiast forum, but value for money.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
-Short
- Repetitive in everything (more scenarios)
- Graphics quality no such great for a next gen console.
- Story bland
- Not the Best Rogué like but is a ok for the genre.
-Many time that you die... The next respawn will make the game more '' easy''

Thats are my Thoughts about The game

Last edited:
Top Bottom