• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal has gone GOLD!

-Short
- Repetitive in everything (more scenarios)
- Graphics quality no such great for a next gen console.
- Story bland
- Not the Best Rogué like but is a ok for the genre.
-Many time that you die... The next respawn will make the game more '' easy''

Thats are my Thoughts about The game

You just described gravity rush barring the rouge elements lol

sunnysideup

Banned
This whining is so wank. Do you morans buy your games on playstation store?

ps5 games are going to cost 40 bucks retail when more games are releasedand more systems are sold.

This isnt fucking nintando.

also rentpass sucks

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Gravity Rush 2 was worth $5 not $60
The first one on the Vita was a great game though. I definitely don’t think it translated well to home consoles. The Vita one though, one of my favourite Sony games of the past 10 years.

This whining is so wank. Do you morans buy your games on playstation store?

ps5 games are going to cost 40 bucks retail when more games are releasedand more systems are sold.

This isnt fucking nintando.

also rentpass sucks
Confused Star Wars GIF

Last edited:

drotahorror

Ok? It’s £50 RRP (68 freedom bucks) in the UK when every PS4 game was £40 physical, including TLOU 2, on launch.

Blood and Wine. £16 on release. 30 hour campaign, 90 missions, new map. There’s some serious corporate boot lickers posting on here at times.

I too can afford a £70 game. To be honest I can afford a £300 game, or more. It’s not a question of affordability, and I doubt it is for anyone posting on an enthusiast forum, but value for money.

But what do you value? You mention 30 hours for a Witcher expack. So you value hours played? Well I got news for you, Returnal if done right, is going to give you potentially many more hours than 30. Hell, there's been plenty of games that I have, and I'm sure you have, paid full price for and got 8 hours out of.

No other game in the genre that Returnal is in looks like Returnal. Returnal isn't a $25 rogue-lite. Could the price have been lower? OF course, but I guess Sony is sticking to their guns and saying that their exclusives are worth $70 instead of $60.

And I get it, people think it's bullshit, but I also guess that people never grew up with an NES or early 90's. Plenty of games were $70 or more. $70 in 1994 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $124.23 today. THAT was bullshit. Games were not multi year, multi million dollar projects with hundreds of developers working on them. Of course the gaming population is massive today as well, so that can help even things out but there are lots more people involved with the developing and publishing who all need to be paid as well.

Banjo64

cumsessed
But what do you value? You mention 30 hours for a Witcher expack. So you value hours played? Well I got news for you, Returnal if done right, is going to give you potentially many more hours than 30. Hell, there's been plenty of games that I have, and I'm sure you have, paid full price for and got 8 hours out of.

No other game in the genre that Returnal is in looks like Returnal. Returnal isn't a $25 rogue-lite. Could the price have been lower? OF course, but I guess Sony is sticking to their guns and saying that their exclusives are worth $70 instead of $60.

And I get it, people think it's bullshit, but I also guess that people never grew up with an NES or early 90's. Plenty of games were $70 or more. $70 in 1994 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $124.23 today. THAT was bullshit. Games were not multi year, multi million dollar projects with hundreds of developers working on them. Of course the gaming population is massive today as well, so that can help even things out but there are lots more people involved with the developing and publishing who all need to be paid as well.
Good points. I wouldn’t say hours alone, maybe a combination of quality, fun gameplay and total hours? We all have to judge what a game is worth for ourselves, Returnal will probably give some people a lot of joy at full price. There’s no denying that Miles Morales vs Blood and Wine is a stark contrast though.

I’d also say that I grew up spending £50-£70 on N64 games but Rare and Nintendo used to ship complete and often revolutionary experiences.

Also, things don’t always go up in price as time moves on. I’ve discussed this in other threads but all three manufacturers are creaming near full profit from their online service subscriptions and store cuts - despite rising dev costs they are richer than ever but think they can pass the increase in costs to the consumer.

In 1972, the most basic model of an HP 3000 sold for $95,000, the equivalent of slightly over half a million in today’s dollars.

drotahorror

Good points. I wouldn’t say hours alone, maybe a combination of quality, fun gameplay and total hours? We all have to judge what a game is worth for ourselves, Returnal will probably give some people a lot of joy at full price. There’s no denying that Miles Morales vs Blood and Wine is a stark contrast though.

I’d also say that I grew up spending £50-£70 on N64 games but Rare and Nintendo used to ship complete and often revolutionary experiences.

Also, things don’t always go up in price as time moves on. I’ve discussed this in other threads but all three manufacturers are creaming near full profit from their online service subscriptions and store cuts - despite rising dev costs they are richer than ever but think they can pass the increase in costs to the consumer.

In 1972, the most basic model of an HP 3000 sold for $95,000, the equivalent of slightly over half a million in today’s dollars.

In 1972 no one could afford a 95,000 computer though.

I guess the way I see a $10 price increase is that maybe it's just that time again.

I remember when every $60 game that came out on PS3/360, was always $49.99 on Steam. This changed part way through.

The MSRP of PS2/GC/Xbox games was $49.99 and Steam was still hanging on to that well into the PS3/360 gen. Around that time prices went up til $59.99 for your average studio title, but Steam never embraced it til much later. That gen started in what, 2006/2007? Almost 15 years ago, due to inflation $60 is equal to about $76. During that gen MS had tons of XBL subs as well. I do understand they're making shit tons of money off these monthly services and I personally think they're bullshit. Along with many other shit things they're doing like Sony pulling PS3 and Vita games off their store. But maybe it's just due to all the people involved too. A game like Returnal may not have the marketing budget a title like GTAV would have, but you can be sure that millions are being spent on marketing it, which might not have been the case with Resistance part 1. Not as many pockets to fill either.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Super impressed by the number of psychic motherfuckers in this thread who can pass definitive judgement on a game in advance not only of playing the thing, but any sort of detailed review/preview/evaluation.
Is the experience of the gaming.

So the intention is give a first impression... And not get into a trapt for a review gaming score.

Zoro7

Banned
This game will be normal retail price within a couple of months for those of you who can’t/won’t pay $70. Unless you bought the digital edition PS5.....in which case you done fucked up!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sorry for your financial issues but that fact you can't afford the game has nothing to do with its possible review score outcome.
Mr. Platinum Card over here.

I have money to buy this game, and I am choosing not to because I've never once seen a roguelike approach this cost. We don't even have review scores yet, and people are free to discuss why they think the game wont be worth it until then.

All you're doing is showing everyone how triggered you are that people are skeptical about the game. Say something nice about the game if you want, but all you're doing is just trying to smear people with grade school level insults.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
?

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Even trying to compensate for typos, this is unreadable.
It's perfectly readable. He's saying he's basing his impressions on his experience with gaming (previous roguelikes, previous Housemarque games). He's saying he's trying to give his opinions before people get trapped into a purchase they regret.

Why don't you try talking about games in something other than English. See how well you do.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Mr. Platinum Card over here.

I have money to buy this game, and I am choosing not to because I've never once seen a roguelike approach this cost. We don't even have review scores yet, and people are free to discuss why they think the game wont be worth it until then.

All you're doing is showing everyone how triggered you are that people are skeptical about the game. Say something nice about the game if you want, but all you're doing is just trying to smear people with grade school level insults.
Speaking of triggered...

The dude is saying the game won't score above a 76.... based on what? Price? Nice of you to stick up for your little buddy though.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It's perfectly readable. He's saying he's basing his impressions on his experience with gaming (previous roguelikes, previous Housemarque games). He's saying he's trying to give his opinions before people get trapped into a purchase they regret.

No its fucking not! The first sentence is gibberish. The second is grammatically hideous but is somewhat legible assuming "trapt" (sic) is a simple typo. Cumulatively though it failed to communicate any sort of coherent point.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Speaking of triggered...

The dude is saying the game won't score above a 76.... based on what? Price? Nice of you to stick up for your little buddy though.
Yeah, price can be factored into reviews if the game doesn't appear to be worth it.

If you read my last post, you'd see that to my knowledge, no roguelike has even come close to this price. The most expensive ones ever released I think are $40, and most are $20.

Interfectum

Yeah, price can be factored into reviews if the game doesn't appear to be worth it.

If you read my last post, you'd see that to my knowledge, no roguelike has even come close to this price. The most expensive ones ever released I think are $40, and most are $20.
Roguelikes can be more than just your average pixel based $10 Steam download. Lets wait and see if this pushes the genre forward before giving it a metacritic score, eh?

I'll be the first to say it's overpriced if there is bare minimum amount of content here especially in a post Game Pass world where AAA games are being given for free.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Roguelikes can be more than just your average pixel based $10 Steam download. Lets wait and see if this pushes the genre forward before giving it a metacritic score, eh?

I'll be the first to say it's overpriced if there is bare minimum amount of content here especially in a post Game Pass world where AAA games are being given for free.
Sure, we'll just have to make sure no one can discuss the game or how they feel about it in advance without permission since you get so triggered if anyone isn't in love with it.

What is the most expensive roguelike? What is the price of it? Tell me that.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

The key thing is "rogue-like" is just a structure, a format for how progression is handled. It has no bearing on the quality and or quantity of the content and gameplay. To disregard it based on that is just ignorant.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The key thing is "rogue-like" is just a structure, a format for how progression is handled. It has no bearing on the quality and or quantity of the content and gameplay. To disregard it based on that is just ignorant.
It 100% has a bearing on the quantity of the game. It means in almost every single case that the content is significantly less than a full campaign. You replay limited content repeatedly in roguelikes. That's why most of them cost so little. Even the most highly polished ones cost around $20. I think the Shiren Wanderer series were around $40, and they were very niche games.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It 100% has a bearing on the quantity of the game. It means in almost every single case that the content is significantly less than a full campaign. You replay limited content repeatedly in roguelikes. That's why most of them cost so little. Even the most highly polished ones cost around $20. I think the Shiren Wanderer series were around $40, and they were very niche games.

You don't know how much content there is in the game, and are speculating negatively in almost complete ignorance of a "problem" that may or may not exist.

Basically you are dismissing the game based on genre alone.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You don't know how much content there is in the game, and are speculating negatively in almost complete ignorance of a "problem" that may or may not exist.

Basically you are dismissing the game based on genre alone.
I'm waiting for reviews, and discussing the game based on all previous rogulikes I've ever played, and based on all previous Housemarque games I've played.

You're discussing it based on nothing but blind faith. But that's your right, and you can say whatever you want about the game.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Everspace came out in 2017 and it was $29.99. Rogue Legacy 2 is $24.99 and so is Hades. Everspace isn't cutting edge but looked pretty good. Easily worth $30 as well. RL2 and Hades are 2D and have a good artstyle. Also worth $25. Risk of Rain 2 is a 3D TPS rogue-lite that cost $25 as well. Pleasing art style but nowhere near as eye-catching as Returnal.

Those are the most expensive ones that I personally own.

stitch1

I see there are a lot of Housemarque fans buying this day one. How was Matterfall? I never played it but it looked pretty good. I did like Resogun and Dead Nation. so how was Matterfall? I could see picking it up now that it's cheap.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I see there are a lot of Housemarque fans buying this day one. How was Matterfall? I never played it but it looked pretty good. I did like Resogun and Dead Nation. so how was Matterfall? I could see picking it up now that it's cheap.
Me personally, I got into almost every Housemarque game except Matterfall. I might go back to it at some point since I already bought it, but my initial experience with it was slightly lackluster. It's not an expensive game though.

My personal favorite is Nex Machina. If you don't own that one, it's a must own for arcade shooter fans.

xrnzaaas

Matterfall is overcomplicated I think, you have to remember about a lot of stuff, kinda like in Doom Eternal. I'd definitely pick Nex Machina over Matterfall if you haven't played it yet.

Last edited:

What if the budget for this is a lot higher than the usual indie roguelikes?

I agree about pricing being a factor in reviews but a game with a very large budget would probably cost more.

xrnzaaas

I agree about pricing being a factor in reviews but a game with a very large budget would probably cost more.
Housemarque's previous games started off with 20€ price tags (and even then they weren't initially sales hits). Double that and I think it would be reasonable pricing imo. But 80€? Hell no.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

If it's actually somehow worth it, count me in. There's nothing to play on PS5 right now.

Currently, I'm skeptical that it's worth that high of a price. I'm sure it'll be fun, but that's a lot. Very curious to see how the reviews go!

Housemarque's previous games started off with 20€ price tags (and even then they weren't initially sales hits). Double that and I think it would be reasonable pricing imo. But 80€? Hell no.

It's definitely one I will wait to see a bit more footage and some good reviews before I make a decision.

I would be willing to pay 80 for a good to great game with plenty of substance but I think 40 is about right for a high budget but short game.

Last edited:

stitch1

I'll have to check out Nex Machina. To be honest I hadn't even heard of it.

My issues with the $70 price tag is paying more for this than say Uncharted or God of War or The Last of US. I just have a hard to believing this will be worth more than heavy hitting Sony first party games. But I don't normally pay full price for a game unless I am just all in on it. I don't think I can hype myself up enough for Returnal. Maybe once the reviews come out. But I think I can just wait for a sale or something.

Also, I was one of the people that was hyped for The Order 1886. Got it at launch (although, they discounted it to $40) and while I did like aspects of the game, I still felt let down. I still am holding out hope they make a second that really lives up to the lore they built for the game.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'll have to check out Nex Machina. To be honest I hadn't even heard of it.

My issues with the $70 price tag is paying more for this than say Uncharted or God of War or The Last of US. I just have a hard to believing this will be worth more than heavy hitting Sony first party games. But I don't normally pay full price for a game unless I am just all in on it. I don't think I can hype myself up enough for Returnal. Maybe once the reviews come out. But I think I can just wait for a sale or something.

Eugene Jarvis, the creator of Defender and Robotron way back in the day, was a consultant on the project. It's just a super polished tribute to old arcade shooters and it's great.

ToadMan

The devs say it has "Roguelike elements" - these days many full price games have "rogue like" elements so Returnal isn't special in that its a full price game with Roguelike elements.

It's not the gameplay mechanic that makes rogue-likes cheaper to purchase. Its that they're produced by small teams of programmers without an army of artists and other content producers, are often simplistic pixel based environments with low animation fidelity, in short amounts of time. That's why they hit a $19.99 price point, not the gameplay mechanic.

Top Bottom