• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal has gone GOLD!

Arkam

Game looks pretty dope. Waiting for some reviews before I decide to pick up at launch or not.
I am not a fan of $70 games either but the comments in this thread (and on Gaf in general) have started to sound more like a bunch of coupon cutters instead of gamers.
People spending $1000 on a video card (that they will replace next year) but spending 1% to play a game is too much? C’mon Man!

xrnzaaas

Game looks pretty dope. Waiting for some reviews before I decide to pick up at launch or not.
I am not a fan of $70 games either but the comments in this thread (and on Gaf in general) have started to sound more like a bunch of coupon cutters instead of gamers.
People spending $1000 on a video card (that they will replace next year) but spending 1% to play a game is too much? C’mon Man!
The percentage of gamers spending thousands of dollars on PC's is not very big and it's going to get even smaller with the price hikes on GPU's reaching ridicolous levels. But that's not the point. It's about comparing what the game offers and what the price is. For me it's not a product worthy of the full price (from what I've seen and read about it) and even though I don't have a problem affording a day 1 release it's not going to be a game I'll want to spend 80€ on.

I'll buy two copies and burn the second one while laughing at the poor losers here.

christian bale GIF by Maudit

Codes 208

How many copies will be Returned.
Game are non-returnal at most retailers.
Some ppl really have no idea what indie actually means. The word just gets lumped together with a certain game size, budget or look.

Insomniac was indie, lol.
independent as a company, yeah. But most of their games were directly made under publishers (mainly Sony) so they’re more like a second party developer. (Kinda like game freak)

that said, same thing can be said for housemarque, they’ve done quite a bit of work for Sony and ubisoft

Last edited:

Interfectum

I really hope this game does well. I question the pricing on this title but if Sony puts their marketing machine behind it and the game is actually good It'll probably be fine... and good Plus fodder in a year or so.

HoofHearted

Really like the premise of the game..

Can't bring myself to buying at $70 though.. Only a select few games would warrant this price IMHO - and this isn't one of them.

I'll either wait until I can get it for cheaper online (prefer digital), or if I can pick it up used at gaMeStop - then will do so there.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The "return the game" jokes are pretty damn funny, but I think this looks good. I only have Xbox currently, but if this were coming to my system, I'd probably buy it, because there isn't too much else going on anyway. I'm really curious to see how they can evolve the arcade shooter. They're good developers.

Going to hold out to see how the reviews turn out for this, RE8 and Death loop.

No point in blowing $70, when the bigger games are coming in the fall.

Last edited:

iorek21

The price is probably going to be the biggest factor in people's perception about the game. For $70, it'll have to exceed expectations by A LOT for people to truly appreciate it. Kind of a very complicated situation for Housemarque, imo.

Are they capable of delivering it?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The price is probably going to be the biggest factor in people's perception about the game. For $70, it'll have to exceed expectations by A LOT for people to truly appreciate it. Kind of a very complicated situation for Housemarque, imo.

Are they capable of delivering it?
The game looks pretty good, and if it was a Housemarque TPS with a campaign people would be more likely to consider it. $70 still burns people, but it would be a little more acceptable.

The main sticking point is that it's a roguelike. I don't know if any roguelike has ever been sold for more than $40, and most are half that. 50% of your playtime is replaying level 1 over and over. You have tons of repetition, usually limited story, usually limited enemies and bosses, and they usually can sell the game cheap because it has a tiny fraction of the environmental / enemy assets of a normal campaign.

FunkMiller

Don’t give a fuck. Not paying £70. Game looks fine, but not nearly interesting enough to drop that kind of money on it.

Last edited:

TheMan

Gameplay looks fun from the vids I've seen, but it doesn't have coop which is a bummer. This would be perfect with a couple of other people

Last edited:

sackings

$89.99 CAD. Yeah, that pricetag is reserved for Fromsoft / GoW / MHW / etc. I mean, if the game is the next Isaac but in 3d it will be worth the price tag. Highly doubt that though

NewChoppa

Banned
Started off not really caring about this to really hoping it does well, the more they’ve showed off the more interesting the games looked as a whole.

Honestly might go day 1 with this, considering Housemarques got a pretty good history

I don't get the I'm not paying 70 for the game people, when I was the tender age of 8 I used all my pocket money £70 to buy link to the past. That was 1992!

Last edited:

drotahorror

This thread is showing me how much GP is shaking up the market. It’s becoming harder to justify spending 70-80 bucks on a game when you played Gears of War 5 + all the dlc + Hivebusters for free at launch. Or The Medium. And when you know that Stalker 2 is coming day one for free. Or when you have more free Xbox games to play than you external drive can hold. Sony will have to address this new reality or the only games that will sell for them considerably in the future will be God of War and whatever Naughty dog releases.

I guess the real big difference is that Returnal looks fun and Gears 5 + all DLC + Hivebusters is a crock of garbage. I subbed to the Ultimate gamepass shit for $1 for 3 months thing back in December and Hivebusters is literally the only thing I even played on it. I'm not saying gamepass is bad value, it's great and getting better always. But using Gears as an example is fucking laughable. If you would have said Doom Eternal, I'd have agreed. Gonna be hard to top 2020's GOAT and possibly the best FPS of all time.

I don't get the I'm not paying 70 for the game people, when I was the tender age of 6 I used all my pocket money £70 to buy link to the past. That was 1992!

Word. SNES /Genesis games for $70 was a regular occurrence in the 90's.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Preordered it in January and just can't wait to boot it up. Housemarque can do no wrong. Easiest £60 I've ever spent.

Dthomp

I hate $70 games, but have forked over for the ones I want/wanted, but like Punished Miku Punished Miku said above, roguelikes are a hard game to sell for $70. Binding of Isaac is one of my favorite games I've probably ever played, but it was $15, Rogue Legacy also fantastic, but a plus game. In no world would I spend over 40-50 bucks on either of those titles that I love. I'm still gonna hold out that little hope that maybe Sony surprises us and pays HM and we get it as a May Plus Game, but I don't expect it. I think I'll be waiting for reviews and a sale down the road.

This game being sandwiched between MLB the Show, which will take up 800+ hours of my year and RE8 already put it in a spot I wouldn't be playing it right away, let alone any other games that sneak into this timeframe. Plus by the time I'm bored of either of those two titles Ratchet will be out, and I can assume will be much more worth a full price purchase then this title.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I love Housemarque games. Have 100% trophies in Resogun including DLC. Funny enough, I haven't played their new games after that.

Will try this out, but the $70 tag is scaryville.
They've made several games since then. Some great, some kinda "eh", TBH. Resogun was them at their peak. Not everything they do is a home run, but they definitely are capable of greatness. I'd recommend sticking to your guns regarding the $70 price tag and try out Nex Machina instead. It's simple and a fairly humble game, but the gameplay is excellent.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
If this gets good (85+ MC) reviews I will buy it for €80, gameplay and aesthetics is definitely up my alley. If it gets mediocre reviews I will probably wait for a sale a couple of years down the line.
The odds of this getting an 85+ after the dust settles are pretty low, but scores could increase because of the intersectionality of having an unattractive (+1) white (-1) woman (+1) as the protagonist.

That being said I'm taking the same approach and hearing what gamers here have to say about it, maybe Karak Karak as well.

RoboEight

I really wanna play this and it'll probably be the first game I get but I need to get lucky and snag a PS5 first, hope it does well though HM is a talented team.

Last edited:
Top Bottom