• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village Second biggest physical launch - UK

yazenov

What kind of math is that?
Tom Cruise What GIF

That's no way to calculate this.

LOL mental gymnastics. This guy is delusional.

Last edited:

Stuart360

What kind of math is that?
Tom Cruise What GIF

That's no way to calculate this.
Its actually very simple. We would be talking about 34mil Xbox users vs 125mil Playstation users. Which would mean you would expect phyical sales to be around, oh 75-80% more on Playstation, or soemthing like that.
And here we are.

Three

Not buying games that are NOT on Gamepass, especially mega popular games like Resi Evil?, sure. People seem to think every Xbox owner has Gamepass, they dont. 23mil Gamepass subs, which includes PC Gamepass, vs 55-60mil total Xbox's..
And again people are not reading the split data.

Neir - 89% spli to Playstation - Not on Gamepass
Hitman 3, 76% split to Playstation - Not on Gamepass
Outriders, 83% split to Playstation, - on Gamepass from launch.
Resi Evil 8, 80% split to Playstation - Not on Gmaepass.
MLB The Show, we dont have sales data yet, but if we do i bet the split percentage is still in the same range, even though it launched on Gamepass.

See something weird here?. The logical reason for splits being similar in different games, whether the game launches on Gamepass or not, is simply down to there being a small number of Xbox users that dont have Gamepass, and still buy physical.

Unless someone can give a reason why a new entry in a super popular series like Resi Evil, can get a very similar split to another game that launched day and date on Gamepass. Until that happens, the logical answer is what i said, its not rocket science.
Taking into account the whole of last year. We are already in May, and Gamepass has gone up 6-7mil over the last 6 months, and more than doubled since this time last year.
And i'm not the one making excuses, i have been totally logical in my reasoning in this thread, hense very few challenging what i'm saying.
Like i said, this isnt rocket science here.
People are challenging it and providing data and asking you to provide some data to back the claims you're making. You're not doing that.

Your logical response is only the argument that a game that was on gamepass and a game that wasn't on gamepass had similar splits.

If the majority of people on gamepass do not buy games but just find other things to play on gamepass this split doesn't change. Is that a good enough logical answer to your question? If the crossover of people both subscribing to gamepass AND buying games is small compared to people subscribing and not buying games or those who buy games but don't subscribe it will have little effect on the splits.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Its actually very simple. We would be talking about 34mil Xbox users vs 125mil Playstation users. Which would mean you would expect phyical sales to be around, oh 75-80% more on Playstation, or soemthing like that.
And here we are.
No, why would we? Gamepass has absolutely no relation with the total userbase, because it's not a separate, mutually exclusive platform

If 75% digital is for ALL the PlayStation userbase (PS4 + PS5 + PS Plus and PS Now subscribers), then we will also have to take ALL of the Xbox userbase (Xbox One + Series + GP users + XBLG users).

You can't compare two variables if they aren't on the same level.

And thats not the point. 55-60mil Xbox users vs 125+mil Playstation users, so that is like 60% more. Then take off 15mil or so Gamepass users on Xbox. Add in the 10% digital percentage, and there is the reason for 80% more physical on Playstation over Xbox.

why are we deleting GamePass users? Are they unable to buy games?

what point are you trying to prove? The 80:20 split is pretty close to the actual ratio for UK, and maybe even representative of total global sales

Stuart360

People are challenging it and providing data and asking you to provide some data to back the claims you're making. You're not doing that.

Your logical response is only the argument that a game that was on gamepass and a game that wasn't on gamepass had similar splits.

If the majority of people on gamepass do not buy games but just find other things to play on gamepass this split doesn't change. Is that a good enough logical answer to your question? If the crossover of people both subscribing to gamepass AND buying games is small compared to people subscribing and not buying games or those who buy games but don't subscribe it will have little effect on the splits.
No one has challenged anything, 'this guy is delusional' isnt a challenge.
At the end of the day, none of us know for sure, as Microsoft dont release digital or physical numbers. But what i'm saying is at least logical.

Tutomos

And here we are.

But even if MS has 100% digital split, it's still not close to what games have sold on Playstation when you combine physical and digital anyway.

Stuart360

why are we deleting GamePass users? Are they unable to buy games?

what point are you trying to prove? The 80:20 split is pretty close to the actual ratio for UK, and maybe even representative of total global sales
So playstation sales in the UK are 80/20 split?, i doubt that.
And i removed Gamepass numbers as we all know 'No Gamepass users buy games anymore TM'.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
At the end of the day, none of us know for sure, as Microsoft dont release digital or physical numbers. But what i'm saying is at least logical.
No offense mate. But what you're saying is the opposite of logical. You're making a lot of assumptions, and most of them aren't even related to the argument.

The facts are that:
  • Resident Evil Village sold 80% physical copies on PlayStation in the UK.
  • The market share gap is bigger in other regions, so the split will be wider too. So in total worldwide sales, the ratio will be more than 80% on PlayStation.
  • Some said (including you) that Xbox users buy more digital games than PlayStation, so if we included digital copies, the split will be narrower. But there is no Xbox data available that proves that theory.
  • T Three showed you data that says in fact PS5 has more digital downloads than any other platform -- including Xbox, PC, and Switch.
  • I did some calculations and showed you that even if Xbox had 100% digital sales, RE data still wouldn't shift by much.
  • Gamepass subscribers have no bearing on the validity of this data. Gamepass itself could be a reason why Xbox gamers aren't buying games and supporting developers though.

Stuart360

But even if MS has 100% digital split, it's still not close to what games have sold on Playstation when you combine physical and digital anyway.
Yes games sell a lot more on Playstation as there are more than double the Playstation consoles out in the wild. I have never tried to argue otherwise. I'm saying that there are probably a higher PERCENTAGE of digital only users on Xbox, mainly due to 15mil or so of them being used to digital downloads because of Gamepass.. And i think that is a fair assumption, and would explain why new games have had similar sales ratios for playstation compared to Xbox, whether the said game is launching on Gamepass or not.

Three

There is data in the thread showing you that PS has the majority of digital downloads. There is data for third parties like EA whose digital splits do not differ from Sony stated PS4 splits meaning digital sales of EA games are not that much higher otherwise they would not match PS4 but be far greater due to xbox sales.

We have data. You just don't want to see it.

Your argument seems to only be:
"Gamepass has made digital game sales above the industry norm" based on nothing but the idea that the split for Outriders was 83% on playstation vs Resident Evils 80% on Playstation. Even if we assume these games were exactly like for like why couldn't the 3% be the crossover of people who are subscribed but still buy games? Why must digital have a higher split on xbox in your head?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yes games sell a lot more on Playstation as there are more than double the Playstation consoles out in the wild. I have never tried to argue otherwise. I'm saying that there are probably a higher PERCENTAGE of digital only users on Xbox, mainly due to 15mil or so of them being used to digital downloads because of Gamepass.. And i think that is a fair assumption, and would explain why new games have had similar sales ratios for playstation compared to Xbox, whether the said game is launching on Gamepass or not.
That really has no relation with this.

By that logic, there are almost 50 million PS+ subscribers who download free games every month. So 3x more PlayStation users would be used to digital downloads because of PS Plus.

Last edited:
The game was £43 on CDkeys on launch day for Xbox and you got 6250 reward points through the dash for it, so it worked out actually cheaper to buy digital, that's what I and everyone I know did.

I had £30 worth of Reward points so cashed it in, and then there was the 6000 rewards points for buying it so it made sense to go digital.

Being as I have a series s digital only console aswell as the series X, I get my games all digital now. I'm a convert to digital since getting gamepass.... It's really convenient to just switch games on the fly.

NullZ3r0

Banned
So PS5 sells more disc games than anyone else, I guess? Hell, I don't even know if the disc drive in my Series X works. I literally don't own anything on disc anymore.

Stuart360

That really has no relation with this.

By that logic, there are almost 50 million PS+ subscribers who download free games every month. So 3x more PlayStation users would be used to digital downloads because of PS Plus.
Well Playstation is around 79% digital now, so yeah thats a fair assumption.
Look think about, if you are a Gamepass sub, and used to downloading games, why would you then buy physical when a new game comes out?. I mean it COULD happen, but i think its a fair assumption to make that the majority of Gamepass subs have probably gone full digital.
When i went PC only, towards the end of the 360/PS3 gen, i just went full digital instantly, even though that was a time when a lot of new PC games still released physical, and i was a staunch physical gamer on console.

Dream-Knife

Banned
It would also be foolish to think that it needs to be like Pokemon or Animal Crossing in order to be impactful. It's still a very well known IP with a long history.
Well if a system with 8 million sales (worldwide) accounted for 49% of sales, then sales probably aren't very good (in the UK), and it is impressive it outsold Pokemon snap, a game that appeals to the casualist of casuals.

Three

Well Playstation is around 79% digital now, so yeah thats a fair assumption.
Look think about, if you are a Gamepass sub, and used to downloading games, why would you then buy physical when a new game comes out?. I mean it COULD happen, but i think its a fair assumption to make that the majority of Gamepass subs have probably gone full digital.
When i went PC only, towards the end of the 360/PS3 gen, i just went full digital instantly, even though that was a time when a lot of new PC games still released physical, and i was a staunch physical gamer on console.
Ok, around ~45% of PS users are subbed to PS+ and downloading games. Around 45% of xbox users are subbed to Gamepass based on estimated and provided numbers. Why would they go full digital on gamepass subs but not on PS+ subs in that case?
They are both downloading games. I went full digital too but it has nothing to do with those subs. It didn't have anything to do with gamepass even for you it seems since you done it at the end of the PS3/360 gen like me. Explain why this split would be different for digital?

Last edited:

Stuart360

Ok, around ~45% of PS users are subbed to PS+ and downloading games. Around 45% of xbox users are subbed to Gamepass based on estimated and provided numbers. Why would they go full digital on gamepass subs but not on PS+ subs in that case?
They are both downloading games. I went full digital too but it has nothing to do with those subs. It didn't have anything to do with gamepass even for you it seems since you done it at the end of the PS3/360 gen like me.
Well Playstation is already around 79% digital, Xbox more than that IMO. Lets be honest here, by the end of the gen its going to be easily 90-95% digital on both, and this is certainly the last generation with a disk drive.
At the moment though, someone has to have higher digital users, and with the explosion of Gamepass over the last year, for me its fair to think thats Xbox users.

Three

Well Playstation is already around 79% digital, Xbox more than that IMO. Lets be honest here, by the end of the gen its going to be easily 90-95% digital on both, and this is certainly the last generation with a disk drive.
At the moment though, someone has to have higher digital users, and with the explosion of Gamepass over the last year, for me its fair to think thats Xbox users.
Opinion is not a fact though. It's wishful thinking. There is an explosion of PS+ subscribers too. Everything digital has increased not because of gamepass but gamepass and PS+ increased for the same reason digital did to begin with, covid. Correlation is not causation and your assumptions do not match the evidence. Some time ago EA digital sales were 52%, PS4 51% (gamepass had a lot of subscribers) . This either means xbox EA games don't sell or the digital split cannot be that much higher than PS otherwise it would skew the EA results much further.

Last edited:
Not surprised by the massive split. Xbox is becoming a subscription for mainly xbox fans to play their favourite 1st party games. 3rd party software split has been increasing in favour of playstation for years. I'm expecting some games to even have a 90/10 split eventually. Also 3rd parties may have to put their games on gamepass when they see that their games no longer sell on the platform the traditional way as the audience no longer wants to buy games at full price anymore and are embracing the subscription model. Would 3rd parties launch their games on gamepass though? Have we seen a big established 3rd party ip launch on gamepass yet?

Last edited:

Three

Not surprised by the massive split. Xbox is becoming a subscription for mainly xbox fans to play their favourite 1st party games. 3rd party software split has been increasing in favour of playstation for years. I'm expecting some games to even have a 90/10 split eventually. Also 3rd parties may have to put their games on gamepass when they see that their games no longer sell on the platform the traditional way as the audience no longer wants to buy games at full price anymore and are embracing the subscription model. Would 3rd parties launch their games on gamepass though? Have we seen a big established 3rd party ip launch on gamepass yet?
They will but not this type of game.

Imagine you are launching Apex legends, Warframe, World of Tanks, Sea of Thieves or even future Battlefield MP only games. Gamepass release would make sense since your game is essentially monotised differently. You could probably even give the game away for free like Apex Legends or warframe but you're charging a sub and getting money from MS.

Resident Evil though? Why would you?
That's why it is a lot easier for Sony to lock down or extend or get marketing rights for third party single player games like Kena, Final Fantasy or Forspoken/Project Athia. Sales would be low on Xbox but that's not what gamepass's model is about.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Dude i keep asking for someone to give me a none biased reason why Outriders and Resi 8 have the same split, yet one game launched on Gamepass, and the other one didnt. No one will answerr though, and they wont answer because the answer is painfully obvious.
With Outriders disappearing so fast from the top paid chart on Xbox, I dont even think it matters about why the split is the same. That it disappeared so fast from the top paid chart the answer is painfully obvious.

The PSN chart is for the entire month, especially since Returnal is on there with only 1 day of tracking.

That Outriders is #2 on PSN in both NA and UK....the answer is painfully obvious.

I already posted about The Show...that in itself is funny since its the #1 download on PSN...both the PS4 and PS5 version.

Honestly....I dont think we even know how those games are counted as top paid on Xbox and what would make a game drop down or drop off. If its sales....the answer is again painfully obvious. Whats also painfully obvious is using the Xbox store as any indicator of anything. Because Game Pass skews any information.

But...Outriders is 12th most played game on Xbox. Ppl either stopped buying it or sales were poor......and Game Pass saved the day.

Someone already responded to that. They stated that Outriders didn't stay the top paid game after the first week. They also pointed out MLB was a top download on the PlayStation.

I saw you comment on Game Pass later on.....where I agree that Game Pass existing on Xbox will surely have an influence on how people play/purchase their games.

EDIT

It was jroc74 who responded to you on that.

EDIT

Out of curiosity, what is the split for Outriders and the related source for it?
I was watching Outriders on the Xbox store when I saw those "#1 top paid game" threads. After a week it was gone, and it could have been gone completely from the chart.

Scratch that, I forgot about the pages, lol. Right now its 123rd on the top paid. So it was probably just on the 2nd page.

Those that think Game Pass wont hurt game sales on Xbox are literally dreaming.

Either it doesnt hurt sales...or games just sell poorly on Xbox. Its one or the other.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
That's pretty damn good for Resident Evil VIII. I'm in the U.S. and bought it for Series X. Finished it about two hours ago. Great 8.5/10 overall. Enjoyed it more than RE VII but it didn't match REmake2 for me. It did tie REmake3 for me but I would give the edge to Village but not by much. One thing playing Village did is get me super hyped for REmake4. Can't wait for it. Oh man!!!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If this trend continues, the bargaining power PS gains when negotiating contracts is most likely immense. And I'm not suggesting that's a good thing just pointing out the reality.
You know that Jim "the Ruthless" Ryan will leverage that. They are already into many partnerships. This gen will be glorious for PS gamers -- except for that Bethesda blip if you were a fan of their games.

Rolla

Banned
You know that Jim "the Ruthless" Ryan will leverage that. They are already into many partnerships. This gen will be glorious for PS gamers -- except for that Bethesda blip if you were a fan of their games.

I loved Prey and Wolfenstein but Phil already said those games will stay multiplat. I keep hearing about Starfield but when I tried researching I couldn't find anything on it. That aside...

Hitman 3 - PS 75%, Xbox 25%
Outriders - PS 83%, Xbox 17%
Nier Replicant - PS 89%, Xbox 11%
RE Village - PS 80%, Xbox 20%

Is staggering when you consider the UK is XBOX's strongest EU market and second biggest territory. It'll be interesting to see how things progress throughout the gen if these numbers are replicated worldwide.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I loved Prey and Wolfenstein but Phil already said those games will stay multiplat. I keep hearing about Starfield but when I tried researching I couldn't find anything on it. That aside...

Hitman 3 - PS 75%, Xbox 25%
Outriders - PS 83%, Xbox 17%
Nier Replicant - PS 89%, Xbox 11%
RE Village - PS 80%, Xbox 20%

Is staggering when you consider the UK is XBOX's strongest EU market and second biggest territory. It'll be interesting to see how things progress throughout the gen if these numbers are replicated worldwide.
Exactly, that's the point.

People bring up two points: (1) it is only UK, and (2) it is only physical copies. They don't realize that both these points are actually in favor of Xbox.

Xbox doesn't sell as many consoles in most other countries than it does in UK. PlayStation also has the highest percentage of digital games. So if we include worldwide total sales (physical + digital), this split will become even wider in favor of PlayStation.

thewire

People bring up two points: (1) it is only UK, and (2) it is only physical copies. They don't realize that both these points are actually in favor of Xbox.

Xbox doesn't sell as many consoles in most other countries than it does in UK. PlayStation also has the highest percentage of digital games. So if we include worldwide total sales (physical + digital), this split will become even wider in favor of PlayStation wasn’t even selling

Xbox doesn't sell as many consoles in most other countries than it does in UK. PlayStation also has the highest percentage of digital games. So if we include worldwide total sales (physical + digital), this split will become even wider in favor of PlayStation.
Even before gamepass, during the Xbox one generation, games weren’t really selling unless they were the typical big games like gta, fifa, cod but with gamepass now in its current iteration, most Xbox gamers just assume a big triple A game will come to gamepass in about 6 months so why buy it, it’s terrible situation all around especially as Xbox still has a big player base in the U.K., over 5 million Xbox one’s alone and only a 20% split between the series & one consoles during a pandemic when more people are gaming then ever before? Digital sales will still be higher on PlayStation too.
I’m also surprised Sony didn’t moneyhat resident evil, or any capcom game for that matter, it wouldn’t cost them much.

thewire

Wow. Total domination

this trend has to be worrisome for Phil, no wonder he spent so much for Bethesda

this is even worse than the start of last gen. Ouch.

I wonder if this would make it easier if Sony decided to buy a huge Japanese publisher like Capcom or Square
I’m sure Sony is looking at publishers now but I genuinely think it would be purely a defensive move to purchase either to prevent another company buying them ala amazon, tencent, etc. Plus it would fit the one Sony model, since they can make movies from final fantasy, resident evil, etc, which they’re doing anyway.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Even before gamepass, during the Xbox one generation, games weren’t really selling unless they were the typical big games like gta, fifa, cod but with gamepass now in its current iteration, most Xbox gamers just assume a big triple A game will come to gamepass in about 6 months so why buy it, it’s terrible situation all around especially as Xbox still has a big player base in the U.K., over 5 million Xbox one’s alone and only a 20% split between the series & one consoles during a pandemic when more people are gaming then ever before? Digital sales will still be higher on PlayStation too.
I’m also surprised Sony didn’t moneyhat resident evil, or any capcom game for that matter, it wouldn’t cost them much.
Considering these sales figures, I think future games might be.

This could be a situation like Forspoken (Project Athia). Because of low Final Fantasy sales on Xbox, Sony was able to get a new SE IP locked down as a PlayStation exclusive for 2 years. We can see more timed exclusives from Sony this generation -- especially if this trend continues, which I think it will.

It does not.

EA
Total sales to Sony 32%
Total sales to Microsoft 17%

The split is always a little below 2:1 when accounting for everything for major western publishers.

You can do the same for other publishers like Activison, Ubisoft or Take 2.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It does not.

EA
Total sales to Sony 32%
Total sales to Microsoft 17%

The split is always a little below 2:1 when accounting for everything for major western publishers.

You can do the same for other publishers like Activison, Ubisoft or Take 2.
In the UK, PS4 had a 41% market share for digital sales, ahead of Xbox One's 26%, based on Gameindustry.biz's data and analysis.

In Europe, PS4 was the biggest platform for downloads across the tracked publishers, accounting for 52% of sales -- PC was in second place with 27%. If we attribute everything else (the remaining %) to Xbox (ignoring Nintendo and PS5 completely), it's still 21%.

So in UK, PlayStation (41%) vs. Xbox (26%) in digital sales. And in Europe, PlayStation (52%) vs. Xbox (21%*) in digital sales.

These numbers are very telling.

thewire

Considering these sales figures, I think future games might be.

This could be a situation like Forspoken (Project Athia). Because of low Final Fantasy sales on Xbox, Sony was able to get a new SE IP locked down as a PlayStation exclusive for 2 years. We can see more timed exclusives from Sony this generation -- especially if this trend continues, which I think it will.
Yeah with Sony purchasing Evo, I think street fighter 6 & possibly going for the jugular in getting monster Hunter worlds 2 timed exclusivity. They should really just go for all of capcom’s big triple A games after the Bethesda buy out.

In the UK, PS4 had a 41% market share for digital sales, ahead of Xbox One's 26%, based on Gameindustry.biz's data and analysis.

In Europe, PS4 was the biggest platform for downloads across the tracked publishers, accounting for 52% of sales -- PC was in second place with 27%. If we attribute everything else (the remaining %) to Xbox (ignoring Nintendo and PS5 completely), it's still 21%.

So in UK, PlayStation (41%) vs. Xbox (26%) in digital sales. And in Europe, PlayStation (52%) vs. Xbox (21%*) in digital sales.

These numbers are very telling.
But you said including WW and everything the gap would only widen. But that's not the case.

The physical gap is bigger than the total gap. Because Xbox is more digital.

Ubisoft just released their yearly results.
33% PS and 21% Xbox.

Nothing close to 80:20 when just looking at some physical week one sales in the UK for select titles.

Halo Infinite will be lucky if it sells 50k physical copies in the UK. Those times are over for Xbox.

Last edited:
Top Bottom