• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is No.1 in the UK boxed charts. Almost identical launch to Diablo 4

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Wtf is chris doing here?

People still arguing he isn't comparing sales number to gamepass numbers?

Lol he says his doing popularity. Put on those clown shoes chris, you know what you doing.

I can do better.

"God of War Ragnarok: 5m in a week. Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: 10m in a weekend. Hogwarts Legacy: 12m in 2 weeks. Zelda: 10m in a weekend. Diablo 4: about 9m in a week. Starfield: 6m players in 2 days. Spider-Man 2 gameplayer trailer views: 13 million in 1 week. It really has been 12 months of big games doing mega numbers in record time."

WHAT?

Just popularity.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yes physically it sold less than Dead Island 2 and less than all the other big games that have come out this year, including FFXVI that so many people wanted to label as a flop two months ago.
Hitting n.1 in UK means nothing per se.
Physical sales were poor.

About digital sales we'll see the impact that Gamepass had there when actual numbers are out.

So basically, week 1 physical sales in the UK are in line with what most of you have been saying for months (Gamepass effect on physical xbox Sales) but you’re spinning it to ‘poor sales’ and even comparing to FFXVI that definitely did not launch day one on a subscription service? 😂

wild

RoboFu

One of the green rats
some people really have a-lot invested in starfield not being a success.

Just move on… it’s not going to change the world. It’s just a game.
We have some data, particularly from Steam. The other data is incomplete because Microsoft keep it secret. Why do you think they would do that? I bet you can guess.

Also the Xbox app is widely hated so I doubt many people are using it compared to Steam. I only used it originally because of Forza, in the days when Microsoft weren't putting it on Steam.

all those are from 2 yrs ago. It has been updated since then and is alot better now.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Surely the game under performed when the fan base over shot the meta critic score and CCU ? You guts where way off when hyping this game up. It clearly under performed. Sales can still be good while not delivering what people thought.
Who hyped it up though?. People keep saying this and MS built it as its 'saviour' etc, yet in the hype thread people were saying there is no hype for the game and that MS are not even advertising the game and 'dont know what they are doing', literally 2 or 3 days before launch.

As for sales, what is the expectation?. I still wont be surprised if a month from now they announce 10mil sales. A year from now announce 20mil sales, and 30mil sales 5 years form now etc. That was MY expectations.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Guys a psycho for negative xbox stuff but I never see him getting warnings or bans....I'm convinced he's got some dirt on the mods or worse...
Wow, that's some backseat moderation and needless accusations on mods, my friend. Also, as usual, the weird persecution complex.

I've nothing on mods. They do a fair job. I've been warned before (which was fair as I crossed a line at that time). I have been banned before (which was a misunderstanding as I shared The Ascent MC score, which was in yellow, and I didn't know that yellow scores were used as part of trolling/memes).

You were all over in Final Fantasy 16, Horizon, and Ragnarok threads. Mods didn't ban you. You don't see anybody crying about you not getting banned. Instead of being grateful, you're accusing the same mods of bias. Wow.

I suggest sticking to the thread topic and not derailing them with baseless accusations on me as well as mods. Good day!

Last edited:

jm89

Who hyped it up though?. People keep saying this and MS built it as its 'saviour' etc, yet in the hype thread people were saying there is no hype for the game and that MS are not even advertising the game and 'dont know what they are doing', literally 2 or 3 days before launch.
For your reading pleasure.

Mr Moose

Wow, that's some backseat moderation and needless accusations on mods, my friend. Also, as usual, the weird persecution complex.

I've nothing on mods. They do a fair job. I've been warned before (which was fair as I crossed a line at that time). I have been banned before (which was a misunderstanding as I shared The Ascent MC score, which was in yellow, and I didn't know that yellow scores were used as part of trolling/memes).

You were all over in Final Fantasy 16, Horizon, and Ragnarok threads. Mods didn't ban you. You don't see anybody crying about you not getting banned. Instead of being grateful, you're accusing the same mods of bias. Wow.

I suggest sticking to the thread topic and not derailing them with baseless accusations on me as well as mods. Good day!
What, this guy? No way!
It didn't even perform well last week did it?

So, it's totally flopped in the UK.

More people should give it a go, but it shouldn't have been called final fantasy xvi imo.

Just call it final fantasy may cry or something and i think it would have performed the same sales wise and sat better with the fans. Maybe even done better.
Wait a minute...
If Final Fantasy flopped in the UK (physical sales)...
Fuck me! That's huuuuuge. Wtf!
But...
Waitttt.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

If it’s comparable with Diablo 4, I’d say it’s amazing for a new IP.
img_1897g9etp.gif

Stuart360

For your reading pleasure.

Thst links to a post of a user on here saying he feels the game has a 'game of the generation' feel to him. How do you know the game isnt 'game of the generation' to him?. And what does that have to do with MS hyping the game up themselves?.

Elios83

Yep?.

All physical sales are poor though, it still got to no. 1 though with zero PC physical sales and physical sales on a console that has had 90% digital sales on first party games already.

Again n.1 means nothing per se if the competition for the week are just catalogue old games.
And it's not true that physical sales are poor for every title. Tell that to Hogwarts Legacy, Star Wars, Zelda and so on.
Of course sales are proportionate to the size of the UK market. In the UK >100k physical is a big launch.

So basically, week 1 physical sales in the UK are in line with what most of you have been saying for months (Gamepass effect on physical xbox Sales) but you’re spinning it to ‘poor sales’ and even comparing to FFXVI that definitely did not launch day one on a subscription service? 😂

wild
Selling less than Dead Island 2 in physical sales is below any kind of expectations.
Gamepass effect will be felt much more on digital than physical. Physical sales are made also by people who don't want to buy digital games and collectors. Gamepass won't have any impact on those.

The only wild thing I see are the mental gymnastics to cover the fact that Starfield isn't meeting any kind of pre-release expectations whether you want to look at the critical reception and now at the physical sales.

Last edited:

jm89

Thst links to a post of a user on here saying he feels the game has a 'game of the generation' feel to him. How do you know the game isnt 'game of the generation' to him?.

It can feel like game of the hour for all i care, it counts as overhyping.
And what does that have to do with MS hyping the game up themselves?.
You asked the question i gave you the answer of who hyped it.

Last edited:

Stuart360

It can be the game of the eternity for all i care, it counts as overhyping.

You asked the question i gave you the answer of who hyped it.
So people, especially us gamers, are not allowed to get excited and hyped for a game?.
Besides i was talking about the people saying MS themselves hyped the game up, which is in the post you replied to.

All this is doing iis opening up a can of worms on future releases, and why people would want to do that god knows.

ZehDon

Gold Member
... The proof that Starfield underperformed is the data from Steam. Starfield performed 30% poorer than Fallout 4, despite Steam growing by 338%...
Determination of underperformance requires establishment of performance targets and performance metrics. So, let's take a look what you've picked here.

You've hung your hat on concurrent users on PC - and exclusively on Steam. This is actually a surprising position for you to take. You've made quite a few posts declaring that Game Pass cannibalises sales, and Steam doesn't support Game Pass, therefore you must believe a significant number of players didn't buy it on Steam. According to official statements, Starfield has had over 6 million players already, with one million concurrent, making it Bethesda's biggest game launch ever - and it achieved this without the PlayStation platform. The additional players not on Steam and not on PlayStation had to be funnelled somewhere to achieve these numbers. This would lend credence to your prior posts about Game Pass eating game sales. So, given those prior posts, it seems to me that you've picked a metric from a platform that you believe is uniquely unapplicable to Starfield in comparison to Fallout 4 - which didn't launch on Game Pass and didn't launch on the Xbox PC App.
With these data points together, this puts you in a difficult position: either you're wrong about Game Pass cannibalising game sales but your CCU numbers might be correct, or, you're right that Game Pass cannibalises game sales but your CCU numbers are therefore evidently wrong. I'll let you pick your poison.

To my eyes, I'll apply the TLOU2 razor: Starfield must be a success because of all the people working to convince everyone that it wasn't. If it was the resounding failure people are trying to paint it as, no one would require convincing.

PC Game Pass (15 million subscribers, at best) is insignificant compared to Steam (120 million). How much impact do you think it has?

Starfield hit 330K peak with a 120 million Steam userbase. That's a ratio of 0.275%. Use the same percentage and you'll get 41,250 additional players if you account for Game Pass PC. Let's double it for no reason, just to make you happy.

So, accounting for Game Pass, the 330K becomes 412K.

That is still less than Fallout 4. And less than 50% of Baldur's Gate 3, Cyberpunk, Elden Ring, Hogwart's Legacy, etc.
Good Lord please tell me you don't do your own taxes?

Last edited:
If you have gotten involved in this thread (and in others...) it is because you want to put in the same bag REAL SALES of a video game in store (physical or digital) with NUMBER OF PLAYERS in order to be able to make up and inflate the success of Starfield in a way false and artificial and it does not strain, what if GP players, what if steam peaks, who cares about that if we talk about sales? Tell me how many units Starfield has sold and that's it, let's not start mixing figures and adding up anything just because the multinational in power is interested.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What, this guy? No way!

Wait a minute...
If Final Fantasy flopped in the UK (physical sales)...

But...
Waitttt.

It's called context....

Read Chris Drings point. Xbox is heavy digital.

It's on gamepass. If it beats out a mainline final fantasy in software sales while being on gamepass That's crazy.

Last edited:

jm89

So people, especially us gamers, are not allowed to get excited and hyped for a game?.
Nope never said gamers aren't allowed to get hyped for a game, never said it was wrong for anyone to. But people did overhype it with comments like "game of the generation"
Besides i was talking about the people saying MS themselves hyped the game up, which is in the post you replied to.
Ms didn't hype up the game?

Last edited:

jm89

No according to poeple in the 'Hype' thread no they didnt, some people even said they didnt know what they were doing. Now the game releasaed and its all 'MS hyping it as their savior' etc.

Who gives a shit about the hype thread? There are many other threads were people were overhyping it, you can choose to be selectivley blind that's your problem.

Pelta88

This is important and I feel like everyone needs to read this post and understand what's going on over at Reeee.

I'm member of that forum, I haven't posted there since early 2023. Why? Because you can not speak freely there. In particular, saying something like "Phil needs to go" or "XBOX needs better leader leadership" is a bannable offence. Look at what this guy got banned for, receipts.

EviLore EviLore and mods, can we make a thread pointing out what's going on over there? We see it in multiple threads here making a dedicated thread that points out their hypocrisy, necessary.

jm89

Oh the irony.
And again, users on a forum are not MS.
What irony? There are people who didn't hype it, and there are people who overhyped it i can agree with that and see that was the case. But you choose to ignore the latter.

Last edited:

Stuart360

What irony? There are people who didn't hype it, and there are people who overhyped it i can agree with that and see that was the case. But you choose to ignore the latter.
Again whats wrong with that though, if its gamers themselves doing it?. And what, if said game doesnt reach them heights (in your opinion), you then shoot down them gamers and rub it in?.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well it is the most played Bethesda game at launch, unless Bethesda are straight lying. As for the other points, has any of it been refuted yet?.
Whare are all the 'Xbox's saviour' articles though, as thats what people keep liking to say on here.
That's not what you were asking for. You were arguing with jm89 jm89 that "Microsoft did not hype Starfield."

Aeh8dqu.jpg

I showed receipts that they indeed did. Now you have moved the goalposts.

No according to poeple in the 'Hype' thread no they didnt, some people even said they didnt know what they were doing. Now the game releasaed and its all 'MS hyping it as their savior' etc.

Just bullshit after bullshit. And then people quote users and twitter warrious as 'proof'.

But anyway ... here are the "Xbox saviour articles." (not sure why you want them though)

MHWnSDE.jpg
7iXxsIA.jpg
JrH2FFa.jpg
eUP330P.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Well it is the most played Bethesda game at launch, unless Bethesda are straight lying. As for the other points, has any of it been refuted yet?.
Whare are all the 'Xbox's saviour' articles though, as thats what people keep liking to say on here.

Yep, seems like mission accomplished.

This continued descent into madness by a couple of specific people on here could probably be enough for someone's PHD case study if anyone's after their doctorate.

Stuart360

That's not what you were asking for.

But anyway ... here are the "Xbox saviour articles." (not sure why you want them though)

MHWnSDE.jpg
7iXxsIA.jpg
JrH2FFa.jpg
eUP330P.jpg
Right and what have those articles got to do with MS thremselves (and dont tell me thats not what i meant as i clearly staed MS themselves in that orig post), as AGAIN thats what i'm talking about, the people on here that suggest it was MS themselves doing all this hype.
Gaming sites doing articles discussing this kind of stuff doesnt mean its MS themselves. Its a big game release, of course gaming sites are going to be talking about this stuff.
In fact i thought people like you would of liked some of these articles, with them talking about Xbox needing 'saving'.

GHG

This is important and I feel like everyone needs to read this post and understand what's going on over at Reeee.

I'm member of that forum, I haven't posted there since early 2023. Why? Because you can not speak freely there. In particular, saying something like "Phil needs to go" or "XBOX needs better leader leadership" is a bannable offence. Look at what this guy got banned for, receipts.

EviLore EviLore and mods, can we make a thread pointing out what's going on over there? We see it in multiple threads here making a dedicated thread that points out their hypocrisy, necessary.

There was one before but it got closed.

Although granted, that one was more about their off the wall SJW lunacy. If one were to be started now in the gaming section of this forum I'm pretty sure it would take a different slant now due to what's come out regarding the compromised nature of their moderation team since.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Right and what have those articles got to do with MS thremselves (and dont tell me thats not what i meant as i clearly staed MS themselves in that orig post), as AGAIN thats what i'm talking about, the people on here that suggest it was MS themselves doing all this hype.
Gaming sites doing articles discussing this kind of stuff doesnt mean its MS themselves. Its a big game release, of course gaming sites are going to be talking about this stuff.
In fact i thought people like you would of liked some of these articles, with them talking about Xbox needing 'saving'.
MS was hyping it.

I just showed you the receipts like 2 minutes ago.

Fwjn84j.jpg

sY1AL6I.jpg

Last edited:

Stuart360

MS was hyping it.

I just showed you the receipts like 2 minutes ago.

Fwjn84j.jpg

sY1AL6I.jpg
Right is that unusual for a studio/publisher to hype their own games? (and again where are the 'saviour' articles and quotes from MS themselves?). And in what way have they been proven wrong anyway. Until we get actual numbers, its all guesswork anyway.
And again so what?. Even if Starfield had got a 40 MC score and only sold 1mil copies lifetime, so what?., they would of been wrong, like Redfall being crap, but so what?.

Its all console war bullshit, and you know it is.

Anyway i have to go out now so carry on having fun.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Right is that unusual for a studio/publisher to hype their own games? (and again where are the 'saviour' articles and quotes from MS themselves?). And in what way have they been proven wrong anyway. Until we get actual numbers, its all guesswork anyway.
And again so what?. Even if Starfield had got a 40 MC score and only sold 1mil copies lifetime, so what?., they would of been wrong, like Redfall being crap, but so what?.

Its all console war bullshit, and you know it is.

Anyway i have to go out now so carry on having fun.
Your response is, "So what?" when you were arguing with jm89 jm89 that they never hyped it up?

As far as I'm concerned, of course, there's nothing wrong with marketing or hyping up your game. But it is wrong to deny by fans that it never happened (which is what was being discussed).

Microsoft is fully entitled to hype up their game, and they should hype up their game, in my opinion. And they did. But the launch did not align with their pre-marketing hype, e.g., this is not the most important RPG ever. If anything, I'd say Baldur's Gate 3 is the most important RPG now, as it will influence many games and the RPG genre.

Good day, have fun! TTYL.

Top Bottom