• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village Second biggest physical launch - UK

Rolla

Banned
80% of sales on Playstation?

o0A5yfs.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Pretty crazy tbh. UK is a VERY strong market for Xbox. It's basically one of three countries where Xbox is neck and neck with Sony. NA and Mexico being the other countries.

I wonder whats happening here. Xbox userbase is typically full of hardcore gamers who buy games like this in droves. I could understand Outriders, but this isnt even on Gamepass. Are they waiting for it to go on gamepass?

Do we know the splits for RE7, RE2make and 3?

yazenov

80% split in favor of Playstation in Microsoft's biggest market outside of the US is not good for MS. Things are looking bleak and much worse outside of those two countries for Xbox. This split is much worse than last generation. RE7 split was around 74% in favor of the PS4.

Game pass is without a doubt cannibalizing Xbox's software sales.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Awesome. I hope this game is wildly successful for Capcom because they did an amazing job of balancing the elements of RE4 but still retaining an intense survival horror vibe. More success might mean that Capcom will cement survival horror/exploration into all future RE titles, no more toying around with stuff like RE5 & 6. I keep thinking about RE8. I loved my playthrough but wasn't sure if I'd jump right back in but I definitely am. Capcom really nailed it, the game just feels damn good to play and it's stunning how well it performs on a base PS4.

Capcom are truly masters of their craft.

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
Pretty crazy tbh. UK is a VERY strong market for Xbox. It's basically one of three countries where Xbox is neck and neck with Sony. NA and Mexico being the other countries.

I wonder whats happening here. Xbox userbase is typically full of hardcore gamers who buy games like this in droves. I could understand Outriders, but this isnt even on Gamepass. Are they waiting for it to go on gamepass?

Probably just Xbox becoming a digital only box atm even if the consoles ship with a hard drive.

Any console with the attach rate Xbox has with Gamepass just means that the user base is all digital.

Matt_Fox

Success well deserved, it feels like a proper AAA game from start to finish. Rarely have I felt such a need to keep playing and see what's round the next corner...

I only completed it yesterday but tonight will be starting the new game+ got to max out those weapon upgrades and get that annoying treasure from the Dimitrescu basement I missed first time!

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Where did you get the digital sales numbers ?
Might be here:

The PSN charts has some interesting results, lol.

ethomaz

Banned
Where did you get the digital sales numbers ?
On PS.Blog top downloads... it tracked for 1 day and get on the top of the chartz.
Plus digital is now 79% of the game sales in PS... that means physical is just not reliable anymore.

ethomaz

Banned
Could have sold 10 digital copies for all we know.
Yeap... with Sony claiming 79% digital?

One think we know for sure... digital sales in UK were way bigger than whatever it sold at first week on UK.

Same for REVIII btw.

Last edited:

Dane

Xbox digital market is bigger than PS on proportion.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Village is so good, I hope it becomes the best selling RE game ever. A must play on PS5!

I wonder if gamepass is slowly training their player base to wait for gamepass games?
Absolutely! It worked for me, I will never buy a game on my new Series X. I have GP until 2024. Any game I want is automatically bought on PS5 only.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Probably just Xbox becoming a digital only box atm even if the consoles ship with a hard drive.

Any console with the attach rate Xbox has with Gamepass just means that the user base is all digital.

Last quarter software sales on PlayStation were 79% digital. Cant get much higher than that.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
80% on PlayStation, and just 20% on Xbox?

We all know why that is the case, and what's creating this negative effect.

What happens when, with this kind of sales data, Capcom and other developers decide not to port future games on Xbox at all? MS can't pay upfront money to put games on Gamepass forever. These are simple ports that should be released on the console anyway, without MS's intervention and upfront money.

Anyway, those who bought the game, how are you liking it? Is it good?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Nier Automata was also 81 : 19 in favor of PlayStation. When I mentioned that, some people argued that it was a Japanese game.

Hitman 3 was 74 : 26 in favor of PlayStation. That's not a Japanese game.

Now Resident Evil Village is 80 : 20 in favor of PlayStation. That's also not a Japanese game, and it's a well-recognized franchise.

This seems to be the trend going forward.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Could have sold 10 digital copies for all we know.
With MLB The Show sitting at #1 and its ahead of Miles...I highly doubt that.
Less and less Xbox users will buy games on launch. GP is killing their traditional day one sales. Some are not buying anything anymore.

I wonder what the publishers think about this.
"be careful what you wish for"

Seriously, its the gift and the curse of Game Pass.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What concerns me here, is where are the last gen sales. I mean....I know we have new consoles and people are starved to buy them...but has there just been some crazy loss of interest in games in the UK outside of the hardcore?

Like everyone who was interested in buying games buys a ps5 and buys the game for that.....Theres millions of PS4s and xboxes isnt there that should/would want to buy this? I'm a bit puzzled.

Tripolygon

Banned
Same thing for Returnal, I bet. Playstation gamers are waiting for it to hit PS Plus.
Nope, it's just not a popular genre on consoles that commands that high a price. It seems it is selling well digitally though as it is top 3 in the most download list. Destruction Allstars had PS+ written all over it though, thats how rocket league became popular.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
After an utter snooze fest that was Q1, people were starved for a game. Just anything at this point. (not to imply its not a good game, it is)

yazenov

What concerns me here, is where are the last gen sales. I mean....I know we have new consoles and people are starved to buy them...but has there just been some crazy loss of interest in games in the UK outside of the hardcore?

Like everyone who was interested in buying games buys a ps5 and buys the game for that.....Theres millions of PS4s and xboxes isnt there that should/would want to buy this? I'm a bit puzzled.

RE is an established series that caters to its fans. The sales are in line with RE7, so I think it will sell as much as Capcom expected.

It will not pull a Monster Hunter World numbers where it broke out of the series mold and brought new fans to the series.

TLZ

Banned
Looks like it. I stopped buying physical for Xbox since signing up for gamepass ultimate. I just play whatever's on gamepass and gold.

Neff

It's crazy. I was surprised when SimplyGames sold out of the PS5 version in a day.

Gamepass continuing to dismantle physical and Series X being even harder to come by than PS5 right now is probably what's going on here.

The PlayStation daisy chain promo Capcom did a short while back probably helped tip the scales in Sony's favour too.

geary

So if if understand correctly Xbox is doomed because physical sales of REVIII is 80%-20% for Playstation, by physicals sales for Returnal are not important because PS5 is digital....Talking about cherry picking, right?

Top Bottom