• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republican calls racist/sexist Trump remarks racist/sexist-Gets attacked-Resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

Today in party over people but atleast some growing a spine

HONOLULU (AP) — A Hawaii lawmaker who says she was pressured to give up her leadership post at the statehouse after criticizing President Donald Trump resigned Wednesday from the Republican Party.

Rep. Beth Fukumoto said members of the GOP refused to oppose racism and sexism including a suggestion by Trump to create a Muslim registry during his campaign.

"As a Japanese-American whose grandparents had to destroy all of their Japanese artifacts and items and bury them in the backyard to avoid getting taken and interned, how could I not have said anything?" Fukumoto asked. "And how could my party have not said anything?"

Fukumoto was voted out of her post as House Minority Leader in February after calling Trump a bully in a speech at the Women's March in Honolulu, saying many of his remarks were racist and sexist and had no place in the Republican Party.

With Fukumoto's departure, Hawaii has just five Republican state representatives and no Republican state senators.

Fukumoto said she agrees with many Democratic positions on affordable housing and equitable taxes, and hopes to join that party.

More here

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hawaii-r...ty-criticizing-trump-233833619--politics.html

Lock if old

pa22word

Why was she republican in the first place?

Probably positioning more than anything. In some areas/districts/states it's impossible to get elected as anything other than x party, so that's what you run as. It's why we have terms like rino and Dino. If you're a centrist anyways the party you pick doesn't really matter that much anyways, especially at the state level.

Not

Banned
Hope more sane Republicans defect or are pushed out TBH

GOD, please be the tipping point. Please be the last hurrah. Please let them white men not fuck everything up too bad as they flame out.

Vimes

Longer piece about this lady:

https://theoutline.com/post/1270/the-republican-party-is-dying-in-hawaii-beth-fukumoto

To Kirblar's point:

I attended one full session of the Hawaii House of Representatives while in Honolulu. Shortly after it opened, the Speaker of the House called a recess. Roughly 45 Democrats adjourned to their caucus room. About 20 minutes later, they came back. Almost immediately, another recess was called. The Democrats left the chamber again. When the session finally restarted, the Democrats introduced a motion to replace a committee chairman with no explanation as to why. The motion passed and the session adjourned.

I'm hoping that a toothless GOP is a future we can all share, but ideally it won't look like this.

pa22word

I feel a state like Hawaii is going to create aberrations in general. It would be interesting if I'm right.

Almost every solid state is like this. Most people here wouldn't consider someone like Brad Henry, former democratic governor of Oklahoma, a Democrat. In order to win from one side or the other in states that heavily lean one way or the other you have to move to the people in order to get elected when the national platform has no play in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom