• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sony Contacted All Major Third Parties for Exclusivity Deals, Offered More Money Than Microsoft

GamerEDM

Banned
Report: Sony Contacted All Major Third Parties for Exclusivity Deals, Offered More Money Than Microsoft

Kinda Funny’s Imran Khan said:

There isn’t a major third party out there Sony failed to approach asking what kind of deals they could work out. Some had content, some had games, some had content and games. It is not like Microsoft was not willing to offer, they just didn’t want to pay the asking price, because Sony approached with pretty high numbers in the first place.
That ‘PlayStation Advantage’ branding and ‘Console Exclusive’ wording are both going to get a lot of use in the next few years.

[Source: ResetEra via Reddit]

Close thread if this has already been posted, couldnt find one

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
giphy.gif

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Lol. Some sites would turn into "articles" whatever some dude says in a podcast to grab some desperate weekend clicks.

I guess it's hard to be a platform fanboy site. You have 75% less actual news to write about and have to resort to rumormongering and hearsay to keep the boat afloat. 😂

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Then this generation will be even more of a blood bath than the last.

All the more reason to have a PC this gen so you aren't caught in the timed exclusive wars. As someone who enjoyed the others and Metro I wouldn't want to wait a year or more to play Stalker. Especially if it releases to critical acclaim. Behind Cyberpunk, Scorn is my most anticipated game for the rest of this year.

Last edited:

Chiggs

All the more reason to have a PC this gen so you aren't caught in the timed exclusive wars. As someone who enjoyed the others and Metro I wouldn't want to wait a year or more to play Stalker. Especially if it releases to critical acclaim. Behind Cyberpunk, Scorn is my most anticipated game for the rest of this year.

Yep. PC gaming seems to be the place to be, but it’s going to be hard to avoid the PS5.

Why not buy a few studios with this money?

I’m thinking because new studios while always good to procure generally don’t have selling power or games that will sell systems like an established third party game. Major third party games are literally guaranteed to bring attention and even improved sales to your console. It’s kind of like having GTA6 or Witcher 4 exclusive to your new system or opening up a new studio creating a new IP that doesn’t have a reputation yet.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Or by one of the consoles and just wait to play the other games due to a back log that's 10 miles long.

AmuroChan

Why not buy a few studios with this money?

From a business perspective, it's a safe and low-risk move. They pay a one time fee to partner with a major third party on a game that they know is probably going to do well commercially. Also, doing these deals doesn't preclude them from making acquisitions. I'm sure they're always open to acquiring a new studio, if the fit is good. Though their track record has been pretty hit or miss on that front. Insomniac and SP were great acquisitions, but on the other spectrum you have BigBig and Zipper which were failures.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
No way! Microsoft offered money for exclusive content? How very consumer unfriendly of them.

You mean Sony goes to publisher with money hat. Publisher calls Microsoft for bigger money hat they say no. This is 100% Sony trying to eliminate the last competitor via content starvation. There is only one bad guy here Jim Ryan. Andrew house never had to stoop to this level of scummyness. Go on about some Microsoft money hat from a decade ago or some xbox live arcade level games lol. Using 750 million dollar money hats to buy a monopoly only sounds good to a warrior. Anyone else knows companies with monopolies treat customers like crap and can raise prices at a whim. I'm sure someone will mention some magical company who will spend billions to complete after Sony knocked Nintendo and Microsoft out of the market lol.

SirTerry-T

Gonna enjoy this gen.

tumblr_mq76jxHTst1s577j8o1_400.gif

Crush them, Sony.

4aye0q.jpg
Jim Ryan reminds me of an 80's stand up comedian from the glory years of British light entertainment television, since his corporate makeover. There's a bit of Cheggers in there, a smattering of Stu Francis and a soupcon of Dustin Gee....
...and anyone under the age of 40 and not from the UK won't have any fucking idea who or what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
Yes I believe that is how exclusivity deals work. It's funny seeing it be such a dirty thing these days according to games journalists though when they were probably cheering Microsoft on during the Xbox 360 with all the exclusive contracts they had.

I hate 3rd party exclusives. Especially when permanent or for an unreasonable amount of time. But there are certain things you can do as a small entrant into a market (trying to gain market share) that would be frowned upon if done by someone who already has a stranglehold on the market.

People cheered MS because they were the underdog trying to gain market share and challenge the market dominant Playstation. And we are all the better for it looking at how Sony started kicking ass with the PS4.

Sony appears to be taking this to another level with the PS5 and it’s rightly being frowned upon Now that they are the market leader by such a significant margin.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Jim Ryan reminds me of an 80's stand up comedian from the glory years of British light entertainment television, since his corporate makeover. There's a bit of Cheggers in there, a smattering of Stu Francis and a soupcon of Dustin Gee....
...and anyone under the age 30 and not from the UK won't have any fucking idea who or what I'm talking about.

Well, he strikes me as a shy man, but lately I knew that he's a sadist. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Such news only confirm that.

And yes, I don't know what you're talking about, if it's football then I'm on board.:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom