• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sony Contacted All Major Third Parties for Exclusivity Deals, Offered More Money Than Microsoft

Redlight

I think GamePass and other anti-developer practices from Microsoft is making it easier for Sony to secure more 3rd party deals, along with market superiority. It won't be long before it's officially announced, be ready, and if you're a gamer who cares about quality game experience, you should be happy.
I don't actually have a problem with what large corporations do, they make choices based on what's best for them. I make a decision based on what's best for me.

I do have a problem with corporate drones disguised as fans though, they irritate me. The idea that gamers would benefit from a major player leaving the market is just, well, idiotic.

It's unfortunate, but there seems to be a very visible, though small, number of Sony fans (such as your good self) that worship that corporate entity to an obsessive degree and that flit from thread to thread making outlandish claims without any evidence at all.

It's also true that I take the bait far too often.

I'm sure there's some people on here that consider me an Xbox fanboy but the fact is that I'm still not sure which console I will buy first next-gen. Even if it's Sony I'll still be calling out stupidity when it's particularly galling, so I imagine that your posts will still get a disproportionately large percentage of the replies that I do post.

Last edited:

GHG

I dont understand this decision

Instead of using your money to moneyhat developer you should use it to make your own game

This move harm consumers and theres nothing good about it

It's to counter Microsoft going out there and trying to secure third party titles for day 1 releases on gamepass.

Different strategies but the means of securing the deals is the same - it involves money up front.

Smoke6

7 Remake came and went. Spiderman is one character in a game that's about to be panned. XVI is a rumor. 3 of the games I listed are next gen only experiences. Both Scorn and Stalker being highly anticipated. Remedy is one of the best developers out there so I have zero doubt Crossfire X will turn out well.

What the fuck you smoking?
You’re talking about games that aren’t even playable compared to Sony’s lineup and stable of games and devs who show and tell!

Crossfire is online only correct? You can only play so many multiplayer shooters and shit before you get burned out but let’s not forget “screw the graphics, halo is about multiplayer” story line y’all are sticking to after that bullshit showing

quest

Not Banned from OT
You’re talking about games that aren’t even playable compared to Sony’s lineup and stable of games and devs who show and tell!

Crossfire is online only correct? You can only play so many multiplayer shooters and shit before you get burned out but let’s not forget “screw the graphics, halo is about multiplayer” story line y’all are sticking to after that bullshit showing
No remedy is making a campaign for the game ffs.

Remedy Entertainment are in charge of creating the single-player campaign for CrossfireX.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

What I'm smoking is Xbox has two next gen only timed exclusives coming out this year.

Both look great.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
No remedy is making a campaign for the game ffs.

Remedy Entertainment are in charge of creating the single-player campaign for CrossfireX.

One of the best developers in the game. Unique stories, gameplay, and top notch visuals.

DavidGzz

Imo more like reeks of an outdated mindset.
Buying exclusives, is something from PS2-early PS3 era. This strategy do not benefit gamers, more for the platform holders, for a short spurt.

All the payments for exclusives, timed ones at that, are wasteful and achieve little in moving the industry forward.

:messenger_persevering:

Sony is old school, from generations being separate, to these types of deals. They may not have the reach or money to compete where MS is going with cloud/Netflix style gaming so they have to do what they know and can afford. MS is definitely changing the game, whether it's a good or bad thing in the end, we won't know until they succeed. I'm onboard for now. I personally love that they have different strategies and will benefit from their battle. Bring it on.

Buying exclusives, is something from PS2-early PS3 era. This strategy do not benefit gamers, more for the platform holders, for a short spurt.

All the payments for exclusives, timed ones at that, are wasteful and achieve little in moving the industry forward.

It is obvious what they’re doing. They know the multiplat performance differences are going to be devastating, not to mention Game Pass. This is a desperation move. I know that many here like to live in an alternate reality where Sony is “destroying” Microsoft, but this simply isn’t the case. MS basically gave Sony a free ride last gen by fucking up the One launch. That isn’t happening this time. Sony can’t afford to be “pro-consumer” - MS could buy Sony and send it to the delete bin without even effecting their bottom line. Sony does not make big money selling more consoles in Europe. MS doesn’t need to “win” the console sales game, but for Sony it is literally their lifeline.

longdi

Banned
It is obvious what they’re doing. They know the multiplat performance differences are going to be devastating, not to mention Game Pass. This is a desperation move. I know that many here like to live in an alternate reality where Sony is “destroying” Microsoft, but this simply isn’t the case. MS basically gave Sony a free ride last gen by fucking up the One launch. That isn’t happening this time. Sony can’t afford to be “pro-consumer” - MS could buy Sony and send it to the delete bin without even effecting their bottom line. Sony does not make big money selling more consoles in Europe. MS doesn’t need to “win” the console sales game, but for Sony it is literally their lifeline.

What you said makes sense!
Pay for exclusives, massaged the performance differences, at the start.
The leak carrefour prices puts PS5DE at the same SRP as Series X!

Most gamers will be oblivious with this hack, and beyond 1-2 years, the acceptance that PS5DE is good value even at that SRP.

It doesnt benefit gamers in the longer haul. :messenger_sleeping:

Affecting.

Last edited:
You are anti-consumer and anti-gaming industry if this is what you want (or support). Monopolies serve no one but the surviving enterprise. The only group happy about this idea are deluded warriors, and they'll get bitch slapped by Intel-like stagnation and price inflation if MS was driven out of gaming.
Neither MS or Sony are angels and neither are opposed to throwing money to make their platform more appealing than their direct competitor, which they both have done and will keep doing. This is nearly how every entertainment platform is right now why would video games be any different? Netflix has shows/movies that its competitors don't have, I'm not talking about their originals, and vice versa. Is that a good thing? Not really, I have to have a Netflix sub, a Hulu sub, an AppleTV + sub, Disney + sub, nearly the same thing for music... that's way too many subs! The problem is Millions and Millions of ppl have accepted this as the norm now. It's been going on for years and years.

Mmnow

This is a clever strategy from Sony, especially at this point in the gen. What good does the Series S do if you can't play, say, Call of Duty on it?

No good at all. People will pay more for the games they want to play, regardless of where they play best or where their friends are.

Of course, access to even the digital version of the PS5 could be significantly more expensive than the Series S, which will annoy the hell out of people these games and that console is aimed at. Parents won't want to spend £100+ extra on the PS5 unless there's absolutely no third party staples left on the S, and Sony don't have that kind of money. It won't backfire, but I'm not convinced it'll work as well as all that, compared to a cheaper console with Gamepass.

And the only way to combat paying for timed exclusives is... To pay for timed exclusives. Phil will get some stick, but you can't let your opponent just wall off major games from your ecosystem.

Enjoy it while it lasts, Sony fanboys. Play stupid games, get stupid prizes, and the prize could well be losing access to new titles in the second half of the gen. If this proves successful, Microsoft will have to dig deeper.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

i wonder if the position reversed and ms is the one buying exclusives...did they will counted as outdated mindset and do not benefit gamers?

turtlepowa

Banned
I think (timed) exclusive content or timed exclusive games are a waste of money. I would never buy a console for some stupid maps/skins and so or because i can't wait a few months. Better use the money to make the console or online gaming cheaper.

Last edited:

The muliplatform differences will likely be in the PS5's favor. XSX will have a slight resolution advantage thanks to having 18% more TFLOPs, but that will be the max difference and hardly noticeable at resolutions near 4K. Meanwhile the PS5 will be streaming ~3.7 GB more data per second during gameplay. That's 3.7 GB higher quality texture, geometry, audio, animation... every second. You'll need a Digital Foundry episode to notice the 18% difference in resolution, but the higher asset quality will stand out like a sore thumb. That's proven by the fact that regular TV looks better a 1080p than any game. Resolution is nice, but it is image quality that matters most.

Game Pass will not be devastating to Sony. It only sounds that way because it works best for game enthusiasts who like to post on message boards. For the vast majority of gamers who only play a few of the biggest games of the year, Game Pass does nothing for them. They'll be buying and playing Madden, CyberPunk, Assassin's Creed, Mortal Kombat, and so on that won't be offered at launch on Game Pass. Game Pass only makes sense for gamers who play a lot of games and are constantly looking for new ones. They need a less expensive way to sample a bunch of them that they wouldn't normally buy.

Finally, the idea that Microsoft is willing to throw virtually unlimited amounts of money at Xbox isn't supported by the facts. The reality is Microsoft has been very cost conscious when it comes to Xbox. They cut Kinect instead of subsidizing it. They got rid of game dev studios when they thought third party would be enough. Reports are that part of Halo: Infinite's problems are due to MS not being willing to pay for full time employees and are constantly hiring temporary contract workers on the cheap as a perpetual band-aid fix.

So no, Sony isn't desperate. At least they are no more desperate than MS. Both companies are trying to get the best advantage they can at the start of the new generation. You can't blame Sony for not being “pro-consumer” because they bought some exclusives content in games, when MS bought whole companies like Ninja Theory and made the squeal to Hell Blade, a franchise started on PS4, an XSX exclusive.

Your complaints just sound like you are more worried Sony is playing the game better than MS rather than MS being in a dominant position.

pasterpl

lots of if’s, if this Rumour is real, and if some devs will opt in for this deal, even as I am primary Xbox player, I will play most of these games on my gaming pc where I can use my Xbox controller. /s

But this approach suggest to me that Sony 1st party output will be “delayed” this generation and Sony might be considering these 3rd party deals a replacement until new 1st part blockbuster are ready. TLOU2, GoT just released, GoW I’d fairly fresh game as well so these teams will probably not have anything ready until 2023-2025 (est. 5 years dev cycle for AAA game).

Thats the thing, MS under Phil, has said buying short term, mini-section exclusives, are, frankly wasteful.

They are spending in other areas which can bring a lasting tangile advantage.
It is wasteful, yes. But that is because the cost of buying timed exclusives ballons out of control if your competition controls a significantly larger market. Xbox would literally have to pay more than Playstation for the same timed exclusive, if not double, because that is the difference in expected lost profits.

This is the perfect time for Playstation to buy timed exclusives, precisely because it is cheaper than ever for them. Back when Xbox360 was strong, Sony had to pay MUCH more for exclusivity. On the other hand if your competition is near death then there is no need to pay for exclusivity because your dominance means third parties wouldn't bother porting to your smaller rival.

It is NOW, when Xbox is down but not yet out, when it makes best sense for Sony to buy timed exclusivity. It maximizes the effectiveness while paying the least amount of funds. On the other hand Xbox could NOT retaliate, because they would have to fight uphill and pay much more for the same effect.

Kumomeme

It is wasteful, yes. But that is because the cost of buying timed exclusives ballons out of control if your competition controls a significantly larger market. Xbox would literally have to pay more than Playstation for the same timed exclusive, if not double, because that is the difference in expected lost profits.

This is the perfect time for Playstation to buy timed exclusives, precisely because it is cheaper than ever for them. Back when Xbox360 was strong, Sony had to pay MUCH more for exclusivity. On the other hand if your competition is near death then there is no need to pay for exclusivity because your dominance means third parties wouldn't bother porting to your smaller rival.

It is NOW, when Xbox is down but not yet out, when it makes best sense for Sony to buy timed exclusivity. It maximizes the effectiveness while paying the least amount of funds. On the other hand Xbox could NOT retaliate, because they would have to fight uphill and pay much more for the same effect.
and considering the rumors that Sony throwing more money make it 'harder' for ms to counter the deal. I believe MS/Phil also considering this..like netflix or hbo their services also need exclusives especially day 1 third party title but its sounds like Sony is faster and aggresive than before. MS should fight for it thought atleast for few handy title like rumoured COD and GTAVI for example than resigning to the fate that they would not bother to pay more than Sony offering. This first 1-2 years is critical for both company. Its the moment for them to gain foothold. If they let Sony gained tremendous lead again they still probably gonna end up need to pay more in future because of the differences in expected lost profits like you mentioned.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned

Yes but PS5 and Series X have zero market share. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

MS is betting smarter on offering value, performance and buildng that Gaas moat.
Short term exclusives are expensive and old school fit for old man Jim.
There is no technological advancement in doing so.
Imo.

pasterpl

Pathetic cowardly anti-consumerism practice from Microsoft.

Oh wait, it was Sony?

Brilliant move, brilliant.

you know, some people here got excited about exclusive playable character and some clothes for the Avengers game because Sony secured it as an exclusive.

Kumomeme

MS is betting smarter on offering value, performance and buildng that Gaas moat.
Imo.
im curious about the technological advancement part you mentioned..i wonder what possible with bussiness model ms chasing for vs the way sony did things?

Last edited:

Imo.
You are mistaken in assuming we have a reset this coming gen. Microsoft certainly doesn't think so. Projected lost sales for timed exclusivity on PS5 would basically be zero in Japan, just as an extreme example.

Timed Exclusivity is a "Win More" button. A privilege of the one dominating the market, which allows them to leverage their dominance into further advantages, to increase their lead further.

asustitan

Banned
Meanwhile the PS5 will be streaming ~3.7 GB more data per second during gameplay. That's 3.7 GB higher quality texture, geometry, audio, animation... every second. You'll need a Digital Foundry episode to notice the 18% difference in resolution, but the higher asset quality will stand out like a sore thumb. That's proven by the fact that regular TV looks better a 1080p than any game. Resolution is nice, but it is image quality that matters most.

Just no, you are over reaching with how much data needs to be loaded for a game.

Maybe if you wanted to throw the player through 10 full levels within the blink of an eye so you wouldn't even have time to look at it. Maybe you would then get your impractical advantage you desire.

Any 3rd Gen SSD is more than enough for games of this generation.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The last games from each of these studios took more than 6 years to develop.

ND failed to create a second unity and has a development cycle of 3-4 years.

We need to see if next gen cycles get even longer and more expensive, reducing the number of exclusives available per year.
That's only because they were new IPs and in the case of Sucker Punch, they had a new game canceled

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Dat raytracing doe

I'm playing Control for the second time right now with all the RTX on. Honestly the best looking game I've played this generation. Everybody want to pee their pants over Troy Baker doing Mo-cap or all the detail put into character models. That doesn't impress me. This does:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I wouldn't put much faith in Scorn. It was announced 6 years ago, went through 2 kickstarter campaigns with little to show after and only after MS deal it seemed to pick up the pace.
I'm afraid it's going to be another Agony, looks with no substance.

You really think Microsoft paid for exclusive rights without visiting Ebb Software and seeing the state of the game? A game that's slated to release this year.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
The same MS that thought Halo Infinite looked acceptable to show?
... no comment...

No the same MS that bankrolled Cuphead with the same kind of deal that's now turning into a multimedia franchise. The same MS that bankrolled Remedy which produced the excellent Alan Wake and Quantum Break for them with their next game Crossfire X being timed exclusive.

Top Bottom