• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sony Contacted All Major Third Parties for Exclusivity Deals, Offered More Money Than Microsoft

schaft0620

They targeting majors while Microsoft going after the smaller studios with potential smash hits like they did the Cuphead developers. Wouldn't be surprised if Scorn, The Medium, and Stalker are exclusive to Xbox for more than a year. Took Cuphead almost three years to come to the PS4.

Sonys doing this too and they are doing a better job at it. Fall Guys.

Xbox is launching with a pretty weak lineup, this will only crush the Xbox Division and drive it out of console gaming. Smart move to drive them out of business and migrate even more xbox gamers to have only one console (PS5) instead of both or Xbox only.

We don't have an exact lineup from either side yet so I disagree. Plus this fall is PACKED with games. Next year will be more important.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
Jim Ryan reminds me of an 80's stand up comedian from the glory years of British light entertainment television, since his corporate makeover. There's a bit of Cheggers in there, a smattering of Stu Francis and a soupcon of Dustin Gee....
...and anyone under the age of 40 and not from the UK won't have any fucking idea who or what I'm talking about.
giphy.gif

JonnyMP3

Jim Ryan reminds me of an 80's stand up comedian from the glory years of British light entertainment television, since his corporate makeover. There's a bit of Cheggers in there, a smattering of Stu Francis and a soupcon of Dustin Gee....
...and anyone under the age of 40 and not from the UK won't have any fucking idea who or what I'm talking about.
Reminds me a bit of Freddie Starr too

jonesxlv

Neo Member
Xbox is launching with a pretty weak lineup, this will only crush the Xbox Division and drive it out of console gaming. Smart move to drive them out of business and migrate even more xbox gamers to have only one console (PS5) instead of both or Xbox only.

You are anti-consumer and anti-gaming industry if this is what you want (or support). Monopolies serve no one but the surviving enterprise. The only group happy about this idea are deluded warriors, and they'll get bitch slapped by Intel-like stagnation and price inflation if MS was driven out of gaming.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You are anti-consumer and anti-gaming industry if this is what you want (or support). Monopolies serve no one but the surviving enterprise. The only group happy about this idea are deluded warriors, and they'll get bitch slapped by Intel-like stagnation and price inflation if MS was driven out of gaming.

Nah, Microsoft is already hurting the gaming industry with its anti-developer moves which results in mediocre games output.

Give me a worthy competitor, Nintendo with the big success so far could easily reconsider traditional home console gaming, probably in a level equivalent of slightly higher than the rumored Lockhart with Nvidia helping them out. Most likely something still semi-portable.

Kumomeme

I believe sony make this decision not just solely based on their competitor(xbox). They probably aimed to maintained the performance of ps4's sales of 100M+ from here on out onward be it another generation and next. They saw how exclusives play vital role and their plan? more exclusives.

In other aspect, i wonder if this is one of their strategy to 'counter' gamepass. Assuming lot of big title from major 3rd party publisher/studio become timed exclusive, does this mean those title wont available day 1 on gamepass? This surely gonna affected gamepass content of value for awhile and those big publisher probably gonna enjoy the 'precious' moment where people pay full price for their games until period of exclusives deal come off.

REE Machine

Banned
Confirms that the SSD isn't all it's cracked up to be for me. If they had the power advantage and weren't worried about the competition cause they got it in the bag like their fans believe, they wouldn't be spending so much money that they are outbidding MS.
They outbid because they know the can. Sony is market leader and has more reach right now. They are giving more incentive to be on the A side not the B side. Sony aint worried about anything, its MS that has to start making quality games and not dollar store trash.

For the *Sony* players.

There's a difference between staking or supporting a studio to develop a game over just buying exclusivity for your platform. I hate the latter practice. Put some fucking effort in while not promoting anti-consumer shite. Same goes for MS/Xbox.

Chiggs

Damn...Sony not playing. Next gen is gonna be very interesting.

Well, except that it won’t be. Sony is lining up what appears to be an absolute slaughter of their main rival.

I can see MS exiting the console biz after this and focusing solely on the PC, which is what they should have been doing since 2005.

It would be hardly shocking if MS makes a play for Valve in the next few years.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Did you forget about the two Bethesda PS5 games? FFVII Remake and rumors of FFXVI. Not to mention Spider-Man in The Avengers.

They're both playing this game. Sony is just playing harder.

7 Remake came and went. Spiderman is one character in a game that's about to be panned. XVI is a rumor. 3 of the games I listed are next gen only experiences. Both Scorn and Stalker being highly anticipated. Remedy is one of the best developers out there so I have zero doubt Crossfire X will turn out well.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Confirms that the SSD isn't all it's cracked up to be for me. If they had the power advantage and weren't worried about the competition cause they got it in the bag like their fans believe, they wouldn't be spending so much money that they are outbidding MS.
You don't keep your dominance by resting on your laurels

If PS5 has the best 1st party exclusives and they get even more 3rd party exclusives, they're going to increase their mindshare which is already very strong worldwide

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
It gives you a reason to buy multiplatform games on PlayStation, which they need since Microsoft has the power proposition.

I hated all the timed exclusivity deals Microsoft had at the beginning of the 360 era but when Sony started to play ball, I guess I just had to accept that it's

DelectableDiscreteJerboa-small.gif
All is fair in love and console war. It annoys me that many talk this strategy down as ungentlemanly at best and downright unethical at worst. It's a business move. It's a fair play. MS could have spent their gazillions on the same deals, but they didn't. Sony is doing battle to keep its fans locked into the PS ecosystem by ensuring they have great exclusive content. As an Xbox fan I can find no fault in this. Some people get so worked up about exclusivity deals. Listen, if Spiderman is not available on my copy of Avengers it's not like Sony denied my kid some cancer treatment drugs. It's cool. These are luxury entertainments and nothing more. Good on Sony for going after it. I wish Phil would drop the kumbaya vibe and say, "Hey this is business and I'm a businessman running a division for one of the largest companies in history. I have a duty to Microsoft and its shareholders to generate and retain as many users on the Game Pass ecosystem as possible. We will do everything within our power, so long as it is ethical, to ensure that happens, including exclusivity deals, acquisitions, etc."

Last edited:

Redlight

Even if I was an 100% exclusive Sony gamer I don't think that I would admit it here. I'd hate to be associated with posts like the dribble quoted above.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Even if I was an 100% exclusive Sony gamer I don't think that I would admit it here. I'd hate to be associated with posts like the dribble quoted above.

I think GamePass and other anti-developer practices from Microsoft are making it easier for Sony to secure more 3rd party deals, along with market superiority. It won't be long before it's officially announced, be ready, and if you're a gamer who cares about quality game experience, you should be happy.

Last edited:
Why would Sony be so eager to secure exclusive deals with third-party developers if they have great studios and franchises?

Sony Studios can easily deliver 2 AAA exclusives per year.

Isn't that solid enough?

Blond

Banned
Xbox has historically been stronger and Sony still always on top. Power ain't shit without content and Xbox ain't got no gaymezz

FearfulEmotionalAyeaye-max-1mb.gif

Hard facts though. I made a mistake with the OG Xbox, watching my friends play everything from Amplitude to Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne and FF 10 was annoying because all I had was Halo and other underwhelming games.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

You don't keep your dominance by resting on your laurels

If PS5 has the best 1st party exclusives and they get even more 3rd party exclusives, they're going to increase their mindshare which is already very strong worldwide

That makes sense but also the fact that they outbid them on ALL of the deals sounds like desperation to me. Each console maker has shown signs of desperation in these rumors. MS with dropping Gold and possibly releasing their consoles super cheap and Sony with these deals. It cannot be cheap to outbid MS over and over. You can view it like you wish but there must be reasons for all of this. I'm sure Sony and MS have their own insiders. A cheap XSS could be a great reason for Sony to do this. We win either way.

Why would Sony be so eager to secure exclusive deals with third-party developers if they have great studios and franchises?

Sony Studios can easily deliver 2 AAA exclusives per year.

Isn't that solid enough?

Because they are smarter than the overconfident fanboys around here. MS is coming in hot.

They outbid because they know the can. Sony is market leader and has more reach right now. They are giving more incentive to be on the A side not the B side. Sony aint worried about anything, its MS that has to start making quality games and not dollar store trash.

Speak of the devil. 🤣

So basically Sony is anti-consumer because they out bid Microsoft?

It's like when the guy who won the fight is the one who gets arrested, haha! The anti-consumer crap needs to go. They are both doing what they think they need to do to get ahead.

Last edited:
Sony is going into next generation with an even better 1st party than this generation

Sucker Punch and Bend Studio both improved and they have Insomniac
The last games from each of these studios took more than 6 years to develop.

ND failed to create a second unity and has a development cycle of 3-4 years.

We need to see if next gen cycles get even longer and more expensive, reducing the number of exclusives available per year.

longdi

Banned
What a waste of money, im not surprised Jim Ryan is behind all these timed exclusive movement. :messenger_pensive:
Funds would be better spent on upgrading PS infrastructure or other areas that will be competed in the next decades.

He is from the old school, and he is from SCEE. Europe is Playstation country, outside a short spell of 360 UK dominance. He only sees the winning side of things.
No wonder the messaging since he took over, is just weak and unlike PS4.
Even PS5 slogan 'Play has no limits' is weak compared to 'Four the players'
SIE has moved backwards from players focus to 'me-me-me Imma Playstation'

quest

Not Banned from OT
Yeah WTF are you doing MS?
Yes because Microsoft is a charity they should exceed 750 million dollar money hats lol. How many billions should they set aside to exceed the Jim ryan money hats? If one company who has dominate position is intent on driving another out there is little that can be done. Hey cheer away but when Sony starts to recoup this with increased prices don't complain. With a monopoly they can price how they want.

Dee_Dee

Well, except that it won’t be. Sony is lining up what appears to be an absolute slaughter of their main rival.

I can see MS exiting the console biz after this and focusing solely on the PC, which is what they should have been doing since 2005.

It would be hardly shocking if MS makes a play for Valve in the next few years.
Disagree. I’m intrigued what deals Sony made, if XSX power advantage really will show, if Lockhart will make a difference, will Sony will put more effort in PSNow, how Xbox new studios will fair, and what Nintendo will do.

Also your focusing on PC since 2005 comment makes no sense. The 360 Exceeded expectations sales wise

So...yes, it will be interesting.

Last edited:

Xplainin

Banned
They must be scared after seeing Halo Infinite.... the most expensive AAAA game EVAR!!!

It was either that or all the CGI teasers.

I admit, I was terrified, what will PlayStation do to compete with this overwhelming advantage?
Or they are worried every third party game will look better on XSX and so did this to try and get people to overlook the performance difference?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, I haven't even considered buying XSX so PS5 it is for me. On the other hand, this whole exclusivity thing is really fucking bad for everyone else who's not a fan of Sony and PS.

Top Bottom