• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sony Contacted All Major Third Parties for Exclusivity Deals, Offered More Money Than Microsoft

martino

Thats the thing, MS under Phil, has said buying short term, mini-section exclusives, are, frankly wasteful.

They are spending in other areas which can bring a lasting tangile advantage.
Is it me or now MS is in fact preparing the next next gen ?

Sony, buying its place in the market since 1995 ™
giphy.webp

it's only because of the first party offering

Bo_Hazem

Banned
seriously? What anti-developer things are you referring to?

imo. Most of the stuff they do is pro-developer;
1. creating a wider ecosystem allowing developers to potentially reach more customers
2. due to more unified ecosystem, development for multiple platforms (pc, xbone, xbsex, xCloud) is much easier and cheaper
3. for establish games they have platform like gamepass where dev can put their game onto to reach new customers and potentially generate incremental revenue from dlcs etc. Eg. GTAV and RDR2 on gamepass.

the biggest anti dev/publisher thing ms did was introduction of smart delivery but this is pro-customer

i will not bother with games comment, as it is pointless. But let me ask you a question, if I don’t like 3rd person cinematic story games (open world or not), what other Sony big hitters I am left with?

Without GOTY level games you get 3rd party games, and can you remind me of the GOTY games on Xbox to make this talk even relevant?

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Wouldn't surprise me if this is true, their first party lineup for launch is incredibly weak imho. It won't really pick up until Ratchet and HFW and those could easily be late 2021 and likely 2022 in the case of HFW. So they need something to fill that gap. MS is also snatching up timed deals but they seem to be much smaller in scale. I've read rumors that Deathloop is timed exclusive to PS5 for a year. What a death sentence for that game if true, lol.

When Microsoft did it in 360 days "fuck Microsoft they are destroying the business."

When Sony does it with Ps5 "wow Sony are so pro consumer by giving me stuff I already would get and blocking it from other platforms."
I think a more apt version of this is basically saying: Well MS did it in 360 days so why is it a problem if Sony suddenly does it. In the end though I kinda wonder if there are actually issues with Performance on the PS5 if Sony is on a spending spree.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I think a more apt version of this is basically saying: Well MS did it in 360 days so why is it a problem if Sony suddenly does it. In the end though I kinda wonder if there are actually issues with Performance on the PS5 if Sony is on a spending spree.

Don't forget many from camp green were against it as well back then. I don't see that many against it on team blue/NeoGAF

Last edited:

martino

Wouldn't surprise me if this is true, their first party lineup for launch is incredibly weak imho. It won't really pick up until Ratchet and HFW and those could easily be late 2021 and likely 2022 in the case of HFW. So they need something to fill that gap. MS is also snatching up timed deals but they seem to be much smaller in scale. I've read rumors that Deathloop is timed exclusive to PS5 for a year. What a death sentence for that game if true, lol.

i think too that exclusives of new licenses from studio less known from mass public seems like a bad thing for them.
we'll see but it's how i feel in those case (like also medium or scorn for ms)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't actually have a problem with what large corporations do, they make choices based on what's best for them. I make a decision based on what's best for me.

I do have a problem with corporate drones disguised as fans though, they irritate me. The idea that gamers would benefit from a major player leaving the market is just, well, idiotic.

It's unfortunate, but there seems to be a very visible, though small, number of Sony fans (such as your good self) that worship that corporate entity to an obsessive degree and that flit from thread to thread making outlandish claims without any evidence at all.

It's also true that I take the bait far too often.

I'm sure there's some people on here that consider me an Xbox fanboy but the fact is that I'm still not sure which console I will buy first next-gen. Even if it's Sony I'll still be calling out stupidity when it's particularly galling, so I imagine that your posts will still get a disproportionately large percentage of the replies that I do post.

Well, I would need xbox to get out, so Nintendo would have a better space to jump back to the home console field, probably SEGA as well. I was anticipating Halo, never played any before and didn't know it was a childish game with those little ones making silly sounds and so, but you saw the game (was planning to play it on my PC). Thought it would be a replacement for Mass Effect as I love space games, serious ones like the ongoing flops Star Citizen and Anthem (sadly).

It's smarter to buy XSX instead of building a PC (I don't play on my PC anyway, I need something pretty good to force me to), still, but not with this dry lineup.

I know Microsoft, and I didn't forget xbox one main plans (no borrowing, 24hours online check or no gaming, forced kinect, and all the BS). Such company is a constant threat to gaming, not Nintendo, SEGA. I would rather have Samsung and Apple come into the scene if those two don't man up, and making quality games for Sony is not just for fun, it makes them gigantic amount of money, so they'll continue doing even better when they get even more money/userbase and would push more boundaries. So that imaginary competition isn't worth it.

Last edited:
Don't forget many from camp green were against it as well back then. I don't see that many against it on team blue/NeoGAF
At the end of the day, and this is going to sound weird. I like what MS is doing, and rather than focusing on mature and cinematic games, they seem to be diversifying their portfolio. Look at Cuphead, or Battletoads, Crackdown 3 while being a shit example is arcadey fun. You got Forza which is also more arcedy and fun, Wasteland 3 looks great and is a tactial turn based game. I don't always want realism in my videogames, and I think art style + gameplay and AI is always more important than to be uber realistic.

I'm ok with what Sony is doing because that is Capitalism. MS also had the chance of doing this but they passed on it as they need to spend money elsewhere. Sure that exclusive feature will be on PS5, or game, but Gamepass has hundreds of games on it.

Andodalf

Banned
Any disappointment about any moneyhatting is badly misdirected, if you ask me. Be upset at the publisher or developer, not Sony or MS.

In the end, it can't become exclusive unless they let it.

Publishers are a business. If Sony is going to pay them to just not release stuff they would normally give out for free it’s straight profit. Sony is the one being directly malicious in that scenario

Calverz

Gold Member
Xbox is launching with a pretty weak lineup, this will only crush the Xbox Division and drive it out of console gaming. Smart move to drive them out of business and migrate even more xbox gamers to have only one console (PS5) instead of both or Xbox only.
This is hillarious to read. Thank you for the entertainment. 🤣

farmerboy

Publishers are a business. If Sony is going to pay them to just not release stuff they would normally give out for free it’s straight profit. Sony is the one being directly malicious in that scenario

Absolutely not. Sony pays to have it exclusively and the publisher agrees.

Who exactly, is forcing anyone's hand?

The publisher decides, it's their product. Sony's only asking the question.

SirTerry-T

Same old Sony, lets see what ips went this way.

There are some ips I can’t see them going this way, e.g I really doubt EA would sell FIFA exclusivity due to the amount of money they get from FUT cards on XBOX, same goes for Bethesda or CD Project. On the other hand I can see this exclusivity deals working with 2K, Square Enix, Activision, Capcom and even SEGA

Honestly, I hate these deals coming from any of the big 3, but business is business, lets see which ips went this route, if it is just timed exclusive, full time exclusive, or content exclusive

If it's a licensed game, such as FIFA, getting EA's signature on an exclusivity contract is only half the battle, they would need FIFA to sign off on it too.

I would be shocked but not surprised if it did happen though, FIFA have never been shy where making a tidy profit from exclusivity deals are concerned.

Gorki247

My reaction these days to exclusive stuff. Assuming the games in question are good and interest me, of course.

Timed exclusive games or content: I can wait, no worries. Enough games to keep me busy.
Full exclusive games: Fine. I'll have a look.
Full exclusive content: Shitty if content is significant. Publisher lost a sale

Last edited:
Sony's attempt at making Xbox a welfare box - and they'll succeed, with MS's help. PS2 era all over again. I feel for the hardcore Xbox gamer with 50+ games tied to their accounts. PC gamers are used to the wait time and third party bread crumbs but not the Xbox gamer. Many are still thinking this gen was a fluke and thought with the Series X it would be different and back to the 360 days. You can see it when they get hyped and damage control for the constant onslaught of failed expectations. It's sadly going to be an even bigger beatdown. At least many polls show that many on the Xbox camp are simply flipping to PS5 for good but there is always that extremely hardcore that will buy Xbox no matter what.... they're in for bad times.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I legitimately feel bad for the Xbox brand at this point.
Why? Wouldn't you rather see them spend money on their own studios games rather than money-hat third parties? It's easy to buy exclusives, but even if they did that like crazy it wouldn't be enough. Nothing will change the narrative of "no games", as dumb as it is, until they turn around first party.

Without GOTY level games you get 3rd party games, and can you remind me of the GOTY games on Xbox to make this talk even relevant?

This is dumb. You get 3rd-party games whether you have those or not. Sony got a lot of 3rd party support stepping into the industry PRECISELY because they didn't have any of these "GOTY" 1st party games you're alluding to. No one was buying PS1s for Motor Toon or that Japan-only anime FPS they did, or even games like Parappa. People weren't buying PS2s for Dark Cloud and Fantavision, either, I can tell you that much.

Games like Crash Bandicoot may've driven attention to their platform on the 1st-party front, but they came almost two years after the system's debut. Same goes for games like GT3 (I am factoring the Japanese release dates into account here as well). You can't make reductionist arguments for one side without being willing to acknowledge that, historically, it's kind of been the same way for another.

Lastly, you don't need "GOTY" level games to have a good game, or even a great/fantastic game. Does it help with marketing clout? Of course. But we also know that sometimes GOTY contenders are more the equivalent of Oscar Bait™ films, i.e games that aren't popular with the vast majority or in fact might have contention with them. We'll see a lot of that this year with TLOU2.

If it's a licensed game, such as FIFA, getting EA's signature on an exclusivity contract is only half the battle, they would need FIFA to sign off on it too.

I would be shocked but not surprised if it did happen though, FIFA have never been shy where making a tidy profit from exclusivity deals are concerned.

I dunno how well getting FIFA games exclusively would play out for Sony in terms of legality, let alone the kind of backlash it would generate. EA was MASSACRED back in the day for getting the NFL license exclusively for a good bit of time. I would like to think Sony would get a similar reaction by trying to tie down an entire sporting franchise (and really, the only legit soccer series still around) exclusively to their platform. Even worst if EA were to somehow tie down exclusivity of the FIFA license.

If those variables were to somehow converge into reality, and there was no backlash but in fact praise, at that point I think it'd be fair to say a large segment of gamers are hypocritical brand cultists. You couldn't not lay some of that blame at Sony's doorstep by that point. FWIW I would expect the same kind of reaction if Microsoft tried something similar, but they have less apologists so the correct reaction would actually be easier to bring about.

EDIT: Turns out EA DOES have exclusive rights to official FIFA games, at least until 2022. And they will probably renew that contract. So yeah, anyone who wants to try locking games like FIFA exclusively to their platform better tread that ground extremely carefully.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is dumb. You get 3rd-party games whether you have those or not. Sony got a lot of 3rd party support stepping into the industry PRECISELY because they didn't have any of these "GOTY" 1st party games you're alluding to. No one was buying PS1s for Motor Toon or that Japan-only anime FPS they did, or even games like Parappa. People weren't buying PS2s for Dark Cloud and Fantavision, either, I can tell you that much.

Games like Crash Bandicoot may've driven attention to their platform on the 1st-party front, but they came almost two years after the system's debut. Same goes for games like GT3 (I am factoring the Japanese release dates into account here as well). You can't make reductionist arguments for one side without being willing to acknowledge that, historically, it's kind of been the same way for another.

Lastly, you don't need "GOTY" level games to have a good game, or even a great/fantastic game. Does it help with marketing clout? Of course. But we also know that sometimes GOTY contenders are more the equivalent of Oscar Bait™ films, i.e games that aren't popular with the vast majority or in fact might have contention with them. We'll see a lot of that this year with TLOU2.

I bought PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 because they had collectively more and better games, whether it's first party or not. When you go to xbox it's like having plain cheese pizza, and I like to have meat, some vegs and pineapple on my pizza.:messenger_sunglasses::messenger_savoring:

Last edited:
If we didn't know which games were and weren't moneyhatted, I think a lot of attitudes would shift back to what actually matters, like the content and quality of the videogame in question.

Final Fantasy 13 going multiplat and "never living up to its full potential" (according to salty fanboys) poisoned the entire 7th generation and distracted from the actual cause of the problem (Squeenix getting arrogant and mobile-thirsty). We don't need more of that as we step into the 9th gen.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Forza Horizon 1-4. 3 GotY games in generation is enough : P

Forza Horizon are wonderful games, no one should argue that, but you know those should be cosidered with FIFA and the likes, they're not the ones to go to GOTY, but I think the only console seller so far on xbox, before PC migration, was Forza Horizon games, as I see it here, although xbox is extremely rare to see people buying it here, but it's always mated with that.

FMX

What is confusing to me is that Sony is the market leader. Playstation is more popular than Xbox. What are they afraid of? I think that they maybe be afraid of how much of a loss MS is willing to take on the Series X and Series S. I am no insider just a gamer but my gut is telling me that we are going to see a 199.99 Series S (rumors are that there maybe a even cheaper one with no controller) and a 299.99 Series X. Something has got Sony spooked to go the lengths that they are allegedly going. Then on the opposite side of things you have Microsoft who if the rumors are true--are not even getting in the bidding war for 3rd party exclusives etc and just letting Sony have at it. Could they be preparing to take big losses on the systems?

• LOL
Reactions: Rea

REE Machine

Banned
I dont understand this decision

Instead of using your money to moneyhat developer you should use it to make your own game

This move harm consumers and theres nothing good about it

I hope sony or anyone else out there involved with it will stop doing this cos this is just sickening
Sony is doing both, making great AAA exclusives and money hatting, cant hate the player.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Forza Horizon are wonderful games, no one should argue that, but you know those should be cosidered with FIFA and the likes, they're not the ones to go to GOTY, but I think the only console seller so far on xbox, before PC migration, was Forza Horizon games, as I see it here, although xbox is extremely rare to see people buying it here, but it's always mated with that.
I don't think that's fair with Fifa, because that's same shit different year and F. Horizon games are well crafted games coming out every 2 (or more) years. I agree, that racing games have zero chance on being GotY by media, but that does not mean they are bad games. I honestly still playing those games from time to time and I don't think there is any game even touching the likes of FH 3 and 4. And I am chronically not returning to games normally, so for me that is saying something. Hell I bought OG XB1 for FH2 and back then I already spend a lot of money on PS4....and rest is history : D

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't think that's fair with Fifa, because that's same shit different year and F. Horizon games are well crafted games coming out every 2 (or more) years. I agree, that racing games have zero chance on being GotY by media, but that does not mean they are bad games. I honestly still playing those games from time to time and I don't think there is any game even touching the likes of FH 3 and 4. And I am chronically not returning to games normally, so for me that is saying something. Hell I bought OG XB1 for FH2 and back then I already spend a lot of money on PS4....and rest is history : D

I think Sony should've given DriveClub and the studio more time to mature, but they seem they don't give a fuck for casual racers, which are pretty fun and the majority love them.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Yes I believe that is how exclusivity deals work. It's funny seeing it be such a dirty thing these days according to games journalists though when they were probably cheering Microsoft on during the Xbox 360 with all the exclusive contracts they had.

Nobody was cheering exclusivity.

So is Sony not also a business?

Exactly. Sony is in the business of making their platform as attractive as possible for their dedicated consumers (the hardcore) and for consumers of other platforms that Sony wants to flip from the competition. Starving another platform of content was one of the main reasons the Xbox 360 was so successfull and the reason many of the hardcore Xbox gamers exist today. It's hypocritical to say the least seeing them bitch about this - but I guess many (not all) on a subconscious level don't realize one of the many reasons they fell so in love with the Xbox brand was because they felt like a first class citizen during the X360 era - and all that went into creating that aura and idea of Xbox being the best place to game. Many Xbox hardcore do know however but are simply hypocrites cause it's convenient agenda as they're getting screwed - and no one likes to get screwed, even if ultimately it's their choice of brand loyalty for a particular brand that's to blame. They can read, and can rationalize the business.

This is the perfect time for Sony to bait publishers into these deals and it would be incompetent management and business sense for them to not do so. Full stop they should do it.

What does an offer need to cover? If the game is cross-gen it needs to cover historical Xbox numbers for the franchise in question (Xbox One/X) + potential lifetime sales on Series S/X which will amount to no more than 2-3 million current gen + 2 million nx gen. We're talking about $30 on average per sale (digital, physical, MTX after discounts sales, royalties, marketing, dev costs etc). If it's a next-gen only title then Sony has to pay even less money since the sales that need to be guaranteed are Xbox Series S/X only, and not Xbox One's too. How many Xbox Series S/X will be sold? At most 5 million first year? What's the potential out of that 5 million ideal pot that will buy said game since there is no such thing as a 100% attach rate? so... at most 2 million projected....maybe even less.

In essence, it's cheaper for Sony to get next-gen exclusives than cross-gen exclusives - which is even more favorable for them from a marketing standpoint and for that next-gen system mover push. Then, to add to that projected sales money Sony sprnkles marketing sweeteners to the deal, publishing sweeteners; on top of the stature of being a PS5 exclusive w/ the market leader where most gamers reside.... pretty easy to close the deal. $30-50 million for a big franchise will little engament on Xbox's demographic (Batman/Harry Porter, Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter etc). $50 - 70 mill for EA/Ubisoft/Bethesda shooters. Only GTA 5 or Call of Duty would demand upwards of $70 million. Timed exclusive DLC content deals are literally dirty cheap for Sony atm - easiest gets.

For MS, it would be much more expensive for every single bidding scenario so they would have to be really picky and as a result invest in less of them. The idea that Nadella or Balmer (past) give Xbox unlimited purse strings is a myth. I have no doubt that MS has a couple BIG third party exclusives in their back pocket due to how horrible their lineup looks for Year 1 and Year 2 - they'll have to do third party deals out of necessity or fold and surrender and be at Sony's mercy - so a beatdown more or less. Those deals for relatively small games (Stalker, Warhammer etc) that they showed at this July event which clearly nobody cared about except maybe a couple is not gonna cut it. The disappointment that came out of that event is only but a testament.

Last edited:

Amiga

Why not buy a few studios with this money?
this doesn't cost much money as Sony would paying from the share of the profits they make of these games, since games sell more on Playstation Sony can offer more. I doubt they would offer more than the expected revenue they make from the 3rd party game.

Elcid

Banned
Why? Wouldn't you rather see them spend money on their own studios games rather than money-hat third parties? It's easy to buy exclusives, but even if they did that like crazy it wouldn't be enough. Nothing will change the narrative of "no games", as dumb as it is, until they turn around first party.
Oh totally I’m just saying that PlayStation just keeps sticking the knife in deeper. Xbox has nothing going for it this generation in terms of library.

supernova8

Banned
Perhaps the Xbox is actually more powerful and so Sony want to have timed exclusivity deals so that by the time a game comes out on Xbox, a lot of people have already played it on PS5 and they won't remember the visual difference (and Digital Foundry may not bother making comparison videos).

Just think, Xbox cannot beat Playstation on third party if none of them come to Xbox.

;)

Last edited:

frogger

shame on all third party exclusive purchases, doesn't matter who, especially on large franchise like street fighter.

Kerotan

That's what I fucking want to hear.

Last gen was annoying with MS outbidding Sony for a lot of stuff, this gen Sony improved although MS had a lot of deals the first few years. Next gen Sony finally going to dominate here like MS did with the 360.

As a playstation player that's what I fucking love to hear, Sony digging deep to ensure we get the best deals that MS would have otherwise lock in for xbox.

Good guy Sony sticking up for the players yet again. Heroic Sony stand up ☝️👏

Unknown?

It is obvious what they’re doing. They know the multiplat performance differences are going to be devastating, not to mention Game Pass. This is a desperation move. I know that many here like to live in an alternate reality where Sony is “destroying” Microsoft, but this simply isn’t the case. MS basically gave Sony a free ride last gen by fucking up the One launch. That isn’t happening this time. Sony can’t afford to be “pro-consumer” - MS could buy Sony and send it to the delete bin without even effecting their bottom line. Sony does not make big money selling more consoles in Europe. MS doesn’t need to “win” the console sales game, but for Sony it is literally their lifeline.
Lmao, you can't be serious. The difference is far smaller than PS2 and original Xbox. Sega Genesis was only stronger than Snes in one area and they made people belive blast processing made it stronger. Do you know history?

And why don't people care that MS moneyhatted the games The Medium, Stalker 2, The Gunk, and Tell Me Why for the Xbox Series X?

Cause no one really cares or feels threathened and being left out. It's a passasble offense. Now If Microsoft were to land Batman etc you could see a lot of salty PS gamers, both bitching about microsoft hypocritically and demanding Sony to do better - unless Sony had a couple of bangers of their own and thus part of the exclusive war trade-off.

Last edited:

Unknown?

What is confusing to me is that Sony is the market leader. Playstation is more popular than Xbox. What are they afraid of? I think that they maybe be afraid of how much of a loss MS is willing to take on the Series X and Series S. I am no insider just a gamer but my gut is telling me that we are going to see a 199.99 Series S (rumors are that there maybe a even cheaper one with no controller) and a 299.99 Series X. Something has got Sony spooked to go the lengths that they are allegedly going. Then on the opposite side of things you have Microsoft who if the rumors are true--are not even getting in the bidding war for 3rd party exclusives etc and just letting Sony have at it. Could they be preparing to take big losses on the systems?
If they were scared of price why wouldn't they use this 100s of millions on exclusive content to take a loss of their own? People are unrealistic on how much MS will lose. If they were willing to lose over a billion dollars why didn't they do that with the X1 after a successful gen? Now they're willing to do this because they had a piss poor gen and less budget in the division?

Last edited:

schaft0620

You honestly believe Fallguys is a better job than getting Scorn, The Medium, The Ascent, Crossfire X, and Stalker? Even if you added Kena for Sony it still wouldn't be better.

Idk why you left off all the deals Sony showed they got at their event. I just had the one example of what's going on right now.

Vawn

Banned
When Microsoft did it in 360 days "fuck Microsoft they are destroying the business."

When Sony does it with Ps5 "wow Sony are so pro consumer by giving me stuff I already would get and blocking it from other platforms."

And there are people TODAY doing the reverse. You can't pull statements from different people saying different things and say they contradict each other.

All you're proving is you are only noticing what you want to notice.

Same reason you have a bank account, you need some operations money. You don't want to risk everything on "investment" either because markets do crash from time to time.

Also, they have that kind of money because they don't just waste it (even tho you could argue that MS is wasting money on a lot of startups).
Yes you are right, they waisted money on Zune, they waisted money on buying Nokia they wasted money on many other companys they bought and failed.....

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
That's what I fucking want to hear.

Last gen was annoying with MS outbidding Sony for a lot of stuff, this gen Sony improved although MS had a lot of deals the first few years. Next gen Sony finally going to dominate here like MS did with the 360.

As a playstation player that's what I fucking love to hear, Sony digging deep to ensure we get the best deals that MS would have otherwise lock in for xbox.

Good guy Sony sticking up for the players yet again. Heroic Sony stand up ☝👏

People praying for a monopoly. What can possibly go wrong?

AeneaGames

this will only crush the Xbox Division and drive it out of console gaming.

This is something Sony feels will help them to get more people to the Sony ecosystem, for them it is a smart move. I'm a Sony fan so I won't lose any sleep over these type of deals but if this makes sure we will be left with just Sony and Nintendo I don't think this is a good thing at all. Every company wants to make more money if they have no competitors they can sell dev studios, raise prices, etc. Thinking they won't is a tad naive.

I hope Xbox will keep competing for many years to come, heck I wish another, new, competitor will rise up, the more competition they all have the more they need to do things which will be better for all us gaming fans.

As for this being anti consumer, meh I don't think it is, depends on which consumer, the ones buying a PS5 won't notice anything negative, the people going only for a new Xbox aren't really the consumers Sony cares about and why would they need to?

I get that Xbox fans won't like this, understandable, but they should not start spouting nonsense about anti consumerism or worse that Sony is worried about multiplat comparisons or worried about anything at all.
They must not forget that each year Xbox announces a multitude of timed or console exclusives, this year too, but I haven't heard them about it...

Top Bottom