• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sony Contacted All Major Third Parties for Exclusivity Deals, Offered More Money Than Microsoft

PapyDoc

Be honest.... would you pay 7.5 billion for Bethesda? Especially with the shit they've had about their products in the last 3 years? Especially when Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 is probably like 4 years away?

Bethesda is a big company, but it seems Microsoft is in panic mode.
Of course, with nearly 0 game and a new console coming this year, sure they are in panic mode. nonetheless if I can bring one day gain some sweet TES money, I would like to take the risk and pay Bethesda 7.5 billion

It's not really, personally I game on both platforms so it won't affect me one bit. Sad day for a specific group maybe. I should edit and add a ? many people claiming its a sad day for gamer here and at reee.
yeah you're right. i also and lucky enough to game on all systems. I love sony, nintendo, and microsoft. i love GAMES! i'm a dork what can i say. regardless i'm excited about it because microsoft was really hurting in the exclusive territory and sony whooped their arse as far as console sales. i don't want any of the them to fail. i want healthy competition with great games everywhere!

VAVA Mk2

Xbox is launching with a pretty weak lineup, this will only crush the Xbox Division and drive it out of console gaming. Smart move to drive them out of business and migrate even more xbox gamers to have only one console (PS5) instead of both or Xbox only.

FzLMiVc.gif

Andodalf

Banned
Of course, with nearly 0 game and a new console coming this year, sure they are in panic mode. nonetheless if I can bring one day gain some sweet TES money, I would like to take the risk and pay Bethesda 7.5 billion

if only they had a 360 Remaster to match the PS3 remaster Sony has!

All MS has is a new Gears Game...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yesterday:
Xbox fanboy: Exclusives are bad and Sony is a terrible company for having them.

Today:
Xbox fanboy: I hope MS makes all Bethesda games exclusive. Hahaha. Lololol.
Really?

So out of all the GAFFERS posting about this news, how many are laughing wanting Xbox exclusivity?

If it makes you feel better, then ya 100% of Xbox gamers feel that way.

Journey

Banned
yeah you're right. i also and lucky enough to game on all systems. I love sony, nintendo, and microsoft. i love GAMES! i'm a dork what can i say. regardless i'm excited about it because microsoft was really hurting in the exclusive territory and sony whooped their arse as far as console sales. i don't want any of the them to fail. i want healthy competition with great games everywhere!

PlayStation gamers have been complaining that Microsoft hasn't given them a good reason to buy an Xbox, namely exclusives.... So.... MS makes a power move to give them a good reason and now they're crying :messenger_tears_of_joy:🤷‍♂️

Jokerevo

Banned
Sony brought this upon themselves by trying to starve other platforms of games. You can't play dirty and expect your foe that's has way more financial muscle to do nothing.

Starve other platforms? Dirty? You idiot, it's been like this since the beginning of console days. It's called competition. I mean it's why we have all these great games right now. Otherwise we'd be all be playing on PC.

I mean are you happy that all your X games are on PC too? because the 3080 just wiped out the XsX. There's literally no point in buying it unless you're poor like no matter what game is released on XsX it's already better on PC. Exclusives are the only thing keeping Nintendo and PS alive and more power to them.

If MS do not make the Zenimax portfolio exclusive to Xbox then you have your answer...they no longer give a shit about Xbox and only about $$$$$$$$.

Jokerevo

Banned
PlayStation gamers have been complaining that Microsoft hasn't given them a good reason to buy an Xbox, namely exclusives.... So.... MS makes a power move to give them a good reason and now they're crying :messenger_tears_of_joy:🤷‍♂️

What exclusives? I have a PC. Make them all XsX exclusives then....and then watch the Xss gut them all.

Reindeer

Starve other platforms? Dirty? You idiot, it's been like this since the beginning of console days. It's called competition. I mean it's why we have all these great games right now. Otherwise we'd be all be playing on PC.

I mean are you happy that all your X games are on PC too? because the 3080 just wiped out the XsX. There's literally no point in buying it unless you're poor like no matter what game is released on XsX it's already better on PC. Exclusives are the only thing keeping Nintendo and PS alive and more power to them.

If MS do not make the Zenimax portfolio exclusive to Xbox then you have your answer...they no longer give a shit about Xbox and only about $$$$$$.
Lol, Bethesda just announced that all their games are going day 1 on GamePass on Xbox and PC. And btw, I game on PC so I could care less about Xbox.

No need to be upset dude, you sound very hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:

whitesugar

Banned
Ya the acquisition wars are pretty much over now.
i think the opposite. sony may not be able to spend as much, but they would still have the cash to splurge on some pretty big publishers. i wonder how many more big publishers will be bought up over the next ten years.

AllBizness

Banned
I was already going to invest in PC gaming for Valve Index, and I mine as well buy these games on PC too.

Last edited:

martino

i think the opposite. sony may not be able to spend as much, but they would still have the cash to splurge on some pretty big publishers. i wonder how many more big publishers will be bought up over the next ten years.
Hasn't sony the advantage they can buy japan publishers unlike ms ?

Last edited:
Be honest.... would you pay 7.5 billion for Bethesda? Especially with the shit they've had about their products in the last 3 years? Especially when Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 is probably like 4 years away?

So when Sony pays for 3rd-party exclusivity deals, is that also panic mode? Or just good business? But when Microsoft does it, it's panic mode and bad business? But then if they didn't do it, you'd say they weren't serious about trying to compete because they're just relying on Gamepass and Sony's buying 3rd-party exclusives.

I seriously worry for the mental health of fanboys who need to do this level of mind gymnastics simply to scoff at a business deal. Jesus wept...

Hasn't sony the advantage they can buy japan publishers unlike ms ?

Japan isn't China; Western companies have purchased Japanese ones going way back. That's partly how SEGA formed, for example; it had a Hawaiian branch and a Japanese branch and they merged into one when David Rosen purchased the Japanese side.

Corporate mergers and buyouts still need to be reviewed and approved obviously, but Japan isn't anal about foreign companies buying shares or outright buying Japanese companies, at least the majority of them. Mainly because Japanese companies get to do the same to foreign companies. Fair is fair (now someone teach China this lesson x3).

EDIT: Also due to this very deal MS technically owns Tango who are a Japanese development studio, so if this urban myth were true they'd have been excluded from the purchase which I don't see being possible.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
It is buying studios versus money hats for timed exclusives. No one bitched about insomniac. I said all thread money hats are a waste of money buy studios.
In all honesty. I don't care. I am a multi-platform gamer. You can spin it anyway you want. Games that were previously available to one console could now have future versions of that game coming to the console be in jeopardy.

I do not really think that will be the case. MS has shown that they are leaning into software sales instead of battling it out for hardware. It is looking like they are taking the Sega approach but keeping a console in the market at the same time. It's a smart move.

Banned

Doom, Doom Eternal, Prey, Dishonored 2, Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein 2... good to great games.

Bethesda is more than just the terrible dev studio called Bethesda Game Studios you know.

manfestival

They forced Microsoft's hand because they were starving them of games and exclusive content, so Microsoft decided to go for bigger fish.
That doesn't make sense. How was Sony starving Microsoft of games and exclusive content? How is Microsoft acquiring Bethesda a retaliation or a resolution to your stated problems?
I am not trying to challenge you. I am trying to understand you.

lefty1117

Gold Member
THis was not a bad move at all even at that price.

How much $$$ has Skyrim made over the years? That game had unimaginable legs. They've got a successful MMO in this deal too, and some studio synergies that make some franchise direction/resurrections possible where yesterday they weren't. I guess they'll use Gamepass and timed platform exclusives to draw people in, and then make the products available on Playstation a year or two later at full price. And they'll get a piece of that cheese from the Playstation holdouts.

Sony has been doing this for years ... nothing new

Megatron

That doesn't make sense. How was Sony starving Microsoft of games and exclusive content? How is Microsoft acquiring Bethesda a retaliation or a resolution to your stated problems?
Read the thread you’re in. Sony went to every major publisher trying to buy exclusives away from MS. That’s how they were starving them. MS and Sony biggest games have always been third parties.

VAVA Mk2

It is karma week first lying Ryan about cross generation then this. When you root to hard and troll hard karma finds a way in 2020. Months of warriors trolling and now karma lol.
Oh I'm enjoying all of it. I am open to all platforms but enjoy watching the fanboys get triggered because their sense of value is tied so hard to a product they like to purchase. Sad.

Sony went to all the major studios and was asking to buy exclusive content or exclusive launch windows to try and moneyhat more market share.

This is what happens when you start a bidding war with a couple thousand in your pockets against a millionaire.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yes I know Fallout 76 was shit. I got a free copy and still won't play it. Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are amazing though and FallOut 4 was decent. They also have Prey, Dishonored, and Elder Scrolls as their own IPs now. 1 shitty title doesn't throw all of that away.

I don't like any of them, but I acknowledge that they have big fanbases behind them, and it's a massive move from MS. Now let's see the output.

Top Bottom