• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sony Contacted All Major Third Parties for Exclusivity Deals, Offered More Money Than Microsoft

longdi

Banned
GaaS HAS taken off. And Sony is benefiting by taking 30% off every dollar Fortnite makes on Playstation hardware.

Further, the news on the block isn't that Xbox refused to buy timed exclusives; it is that they couldn't afford it. Note that gaming media interpreted as Sony is willing to pay more, but I think they are wrong.

I think Xbox simply had to pay far more for the same exclusive titles, because of the difference in ecosystem size. Third party studios are expecting to make twice as much money on PS5 than they do on Series X, so they would ask Xbox to pay twice what they would charge Sony.

It doesn't matter what next gen sales ratio would actually be like, the current Third Party studios are making financial calculations using what they already know. And the current math simply makes Xbox timed exclusivity really unattractive to studios.

And as such, i find your desire to see MS intentionally not buy time exclusives, very similar to previous comments on how Xbox doesn't need first party games. You know what you are not getting, and you are retroactively trying to justify what you lack is a good thing.

People asked why the need for Series X, if MS has gone all xcloud/GP/ gaas/BC...well the answer is right here!

Series X signals to gamers, a fresh start is here, a reset, new choices have appear. It presents the platform owners a new business opportunity.

With the insane value of GP, Phil does not need to build the most powerful next gen console, but he did. He is going all in. This is with the blessings of Satya Nadella. There is unity in Xbox vision with the rest of MS. MS will spend as much, if not more than Sony for Series X/S, but they are investing on wise, tangible areas.

Any experienced, shrewd 3P studios, will wrangle the helll outta Sony exclusives money in this fresh start. Hence i do not believe the nonsense that Phil has to pay 'twice' as much for exclusives.

Imo the reason Sony is forced to open their pockets, is as a counter to MS insane value, which Sony does not have the ability to match. :messenger_peace:

Reactions: FMX

hemo memo

Gold Member
Could also be Microsoft are the ones that don't want to reveal the price before Sony does.

Honestly these rumors have been all over the place.

I agree

Maybe this is is just fanatical gamer embellishment. What is taking MS so long to reveal price as well? Fear too?

With Xbox Series S, I don’t know why
Microsoft is scared when they have the low-specs/low-price console and they didn’t even reveal that yet so it is weird. Also they’ve said it before that Sony is not their competition so what’s the holdup then?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I agree

Microsoft is scared when they have the low-specs/low-price console and they didn’t even reveal that yet so it is weird. Also they’ve said it before that Sony is not their competition so what’s the holdup then?

I think it's mainly seeing how the economies are impacted due to COVID, and a sprinkle of who is going to fire first. Not mainly nerdy fools "fear," they can always adjust to the competition.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I think it's mainly seeing how the economies are impacted due to COVID, and a sprinkle of who is going to fire first. Not mainly nerdy fools "fear," they can always adjust to the competition.

But the video game industry was not affected by covid19. What happened is the opposite. They are getting record numbers and everything was up BECAUSE of covid19. I’m sure both consoles are going to be out of stock in minutes when they open pre-orders.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But the video game industry was not affected by covid19. What happened is the opposite. They are getting record numbers and everything was up BECAUSE of covid19. I’m sure both consoles are going to be out of stock in minutes when they open pre-orders.

It's different if you are juggling with introducing a $500 box or settle on $400 box.

I also think they want to pull an Apple with price announce and release window. They have said this much years ago in interviews.

They

I think it's to avoid negative PR when they presenting the weaker box. With all this talk about how weak consoles (PS4/X1) are holding next gen back and with Halo Infinite they don't need to fan the flames with another weak system so close to the XSXs launch.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Hey mate, stop moving goalpost, i said most big publishers hate the system, you can hate something and still work in that system, Sony? Sony sells his first party like hot cakes, they arent desperate and Willing to lose money
Again it’s a long term plan, nobody knows how much money the games are making on the service. There are over 10 million subscribers so that’s a lot of money coming in per year

Again it’s a long term plan, nobody knows how much money the games are making on the service. There are over 10 million subscribers so that’s a lot of money coming in per year

10 million x $120 = $1.2 billion max. That isn't even the case since a lot of these got the first 3 months free and discounts. More likely the current 'annual run rate' for GP is $700 million.

VALCON 82

People asked why the need for Series X, if MS has gone all xcloud/GP/ gaas/BC...well the answer is right here!

Series X signals to gamers, a fresh start is here, a reset, new choices have appear. It presents the platform owners a new business opportunity.

With the insane value of GP, Phil does not need to build the most powerful next gen console, but he did. He is going all in. This is with the blessings of Satya Nadella. There is unity in Xbox vision with the rest of MS. MS will spend as much, if not more than Sony for Series X/S, but they are investing on wise, tangible areas.

Any experienced, shrewd 3P studios, will wrangle the helll outta Sony exclusives money in this fresh start. Hence i do not believe the nonsense that Phil has to pay 'twice' as much for exclusives.

Imo the reason Sony is forced to open their pockets, is as a counter to MS insane value, which Sony does not have the ability to match. :messenger_peace:

BRB..
trying to touch a cloud!!

... This is really just a joke!! Don't take anything i say personally!!

Not sure why anyone is surprised. Since time-exclusivity deals debuted in the 7th Generation, it would sure enough become commonplace.
Its like lootboxes.

Dr Bass

This is such an odd take IMO.

Sony and Nintendo are producing far better selling titles that are also rating a lot higher than anything MS produces. What is this "insane value"? A grab bag of first party duds, old hits and mediocre small titles is not an "insane value." It's the Sizzler of gaming.

What is this narrative that MS is all of a sudden leading the industry and everyone is afraid? None of the data, whether its sales, engagement on social media or views on YouTube support this idea at all.

Last edited:

NickFire

With the blessing of hindsight now that Halo was punted into the future, it is obvious that MS should have paid the asking prices.

1596035547_1595837469_imran-khan1.jpg

He is PS insider now?

Krisprolls

Banned
So Sony strategy is to go aggressive with deals yet they are so scared to reveal the price and waiting for Microsoft? Something doesn’t add up.

Why do you say that? Both things are unrelated.

They spend money because they're the undisputed market leader and it makes them cheaper to get such deals made.

They don't tell the price because they don't want MS to undercut them.

They got the mindshare back with the reveals and Halo fiasco, no they can wait for MS to move because most people will wait for the PS5 anyway.

I'll say this. I'm not a fan of first party Sony games for the most part. I've enjoyed only a few. I just can't relate to their characters. I've always enjoyed Xbox exclusives more but those dropped off a cliff with the Xbox One. The only first party game of either company that I find appealing is Avowed by Obsidian. I'm getting the PS5 for Japanese rpgs. I'd like to see some more western rpgs this generation on both consoles.

shaddam

I wonder which one is the better. Spending 500 million on halo or 750 million(if i am correct) on 3rd party deals

It presents the platform owners a new business opportunity.
Hahahahhahahahahahahhahah LOL the gamers are not looking to make money out of their consoles, they want exclusive games to play. Buying a console isn't a business proposition my weird dude.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Timed exclusivity with simultaneous or nearly timed pc launches isn’t permanent exclusivity, like with Uncharted, God of War, Street Fighter, etc, true permanent console exclusives.

So how is that different than what Sony is doing?

WatDat

Banned
Funny, people here were super mad at Sony because they were so "anti-consumer" (when word got out of the SpiderMan deal even though Microsoft has done similar things in the past). Now word comes out that they were too looking for exclusivity deals but just didn't or couldn't pony up and that's the actual reason why Sony is apparently getting a lot of exclusivity deals?... sorry if I find that funny (reminds me of all that talk "cross gen won't hold back the XBSX!!!" and then we saw the truth with that Halo Infinite trailer).

Stellar edit, chief.

nemiroff

Gold Member
What a time to be alive! Sony or MS.., there's not much in the gaming business I hate as much as companies buying exclusivity.. Oh and fuck Sweeney!

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's different if you are juggling with introducing a $500 box or settle on $400 box.

I also think they want to pull an Apple with price announce and release window. They have said this much years ago in interviews.

It could be Sony doesn't want to ruin current PS4 sales just right now. Once the price is out and it's available for pre-order, retailers will start promoting the PS5 for all they're worth and it will kill all current gen sales.

Papacheeks

Banned
I think someone else touched on this, but when you look at market leader right now it's Playstation. So if Microsoft wants to make some deals for a big published third party game to be exclusive, it needs to be on gamepass as well I think is what the issue is.

So there for the amount of money needed for said deal on MS end is going to cost more. Metrics like saturation, and platform health are all taken into consideration.

So right now if you are Bethesda and your game is going to be on PS4 and PS5, you would probably make a better deal than if your game needs to be on a service.

It needing to be on a service or on a console that has half the amount of owners in the market does not give you a lot of bargaining power.

Thats MS's issue right now.

Why do you think the exclusive deal for Yakuza 7 like a dragon is so non-exlcusive? It's still coming to PS4, and is getting a PS5 version with English voice overs.

NickFire

OH WOW! I didn't know this part. That's very interesting!
I don't know if that's true, but from a business standpoint it makes perfect sense to charge MS more because of the much lower base. Every time you make something console exclusive you are taking a risk on the other console. So the more people you "lock out", the higher the risk.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't know if that's true, but from a business standpoint it makes perfect sense to charge MS more because of the much lower base. Every time you make something console exclusive you are taking a risk on the other console. So the more people you "lock out", the higher the risk.

Plus like someone else said.......I wonder if putting the game on GamePass factors into the cost of exclusivity. At this point I doubt MS will make anything exclusive if it can't be on GamePass first.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The point is that I think Sony views MS as a waaaaaay bigger threat this time. Without a constant stream of exclusives, I think Sony worries people might drift towards Halo Infinite (free to play) and GamePass. That's why I think Sony is spending so much money early on in the PS5s lifecycle.

I truly doubt it. Halo Infinite is, for once l, delayed, and I doubt any ps player cares about Halo.

Even if they did, the Sony players seem to be very loyal and stays with the brand no matter if Sony is arrogant or not.

Sony has nothing to fear, and they know it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I truly doubt it. Halo Infinite is, for once l, delayed, and I doubt any ps player cares about Halo.

Even if they did, the Sony players seem to be very loyal and stays with the brand no matter if Sony is arrogant or not.

Sony has nothing to fear, and they know it.

And yet, imagine how many units Halo Infinite would sell on the PS5 if Microsoft went multiplatform.

onQ123

OH WOW! I didn't know this part. That's very interesting!

The real reason that big 3rd party publishers are happy to make deals with Sony over making the deals with MS.

Then add to this the fact that MS want devs to work harder making the games work on Xbox One , Xbox One X , Xbox Series X & Series S without getting extra money for doing more work.

Top Bottom