• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant 2 just popped up on gamepass

Lokaum D+

lol calm down gamepass? Get a bigger shovel to shovel the shit then.
Buy the games you want. Waiting to play games in gp will ruin this industry.
I play what I want. Not what they give me for free.
Y pay if i can play it for "free" ? just ppl with FOMO goes out buying everything shit they can, imagine paying full price for Forspoken or Starfield and imo Sony, MS and Nintendo can kill each other, keep the goods coming to sub services i dont give a shit.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Y pay if i can play it for "free" ? just ppl with FOMO goes out buying everything shit they can, imagine paying full price for Forspoken or Starfield and imo Sony, MS and Nintendo can kill each other, keep the goods coming to sub services i dont give a shit.
don't you dare put forspoken and starshit in the same sentence.
Forspoken is a great game. I bought it full price and enjoyed it.
Starfield I played for 1$ and couldn't handle 3 hours of this borefest

Ozriel

M$FT

So you didn’t want to support the Starfield devs like you’ve been preaching since? You want Bethesda to go out of business?

twilo99

It’s very rare a game is worth $70, though 2023 certainly tried.

Other than BG3, Starfield, and maybe Elden Ring.. what other game has enough content to justify a $70 price tag? Some might say Diablo 4 .. maybe, but even all of these games are a bit overpriced, but that's just my perspective of course.

If you get enough hours of entertainment out of a game, its absolutely worth it

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member

Opinion. How do they work?

Also, you’re only making our case for us. Forspoken is widely considered by gamers to be a decent at best game, and you’re happy to have paid $70 for it. More power to you, I’m glad you enjoyed it. Personally I’d wait for it to be sub-$10 before I’d buy it.

It’s $20 new a Best Buy right now.
Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

Denton

Is it AMD's fault again with their "sponsor deals" ??
No, there was DLSS in steam version right at launch.

This is some dev oversight/laziness that sometimes happens with gamepass releases. Jusant had the same problem, they patched it in later.

rofif

Banned
Remnant 2 didn’t fail. Very popular on Steam and sold 2M on consoles.

Forspoken on the other hand flopped so bad that it closed a studio and made an absolute mess of Squares financials.
I know that. I still plan to get remnant 2 for ps5. never played 1
But also we all know that sometimes studios close not because game was bad but because it sold bad.
And that's what happened with forspoken. it's a fine 7-8/10 game. It just didn't catch on at all. In fact it was memed.
Closing down that studio and luminous engine is a tragedy. that engine had so much potential

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
But also we all know that sometimes studios close not because game was bad but because it sold bad.
And that's what happened with forspoken. it's a fine 7-8/10 game. It just didn't catch on at all. In fact it was memed.
Closing down that studio and luminous engine is a tragedy. that engine had so much potential

I find it hard to follow your posts sometimes dude. We’re in a thread about Remnant 2 being on GP. You’re talking about failed 3rd party games ending up on GP. Forspoken is not on GP. What was I supposed to get from that other than calling Remnant 2 a failure?

rofif

Banned
I find it hard to follow your posts sometimes dude. We’re in a thread about Remnant 2 being on GP. You’re talking about failed 3rd party games ending up on GP. Forspoken is not on GP. What was I supposed to get from that other than calling Remnant 2 a failure?
I really don't know how we got here :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Other than BG3, Starfield, and maybe Elden Ring.. what other game has enough content to justify a $70 price tag? Some might say Diablo 4 .. maybe, but even all of these games are a bit overpriced, but that's just my perspective of course.

If you get enough hours of entertainment out of a game, its absolutely worth it
It’s very rare a game is worth $70, though 2023 certainly tried. Sales and subscriptions is the way to go when there are so many great games.

Also, publishers get paid for putting games on these services. The idea that it’s only for “games that didn’t sell” is an absolute trash tier take when you can easily look at a list and see there are plenty of successful games on there.

To be fair, Remnant 2 when it launched was only $50. This is a good example of some self-awareness on the part of the devs and publishers. First game did okay enough to warrant a sequel, co-op shooters and souls like games do well enough but it's those are both niche audiences. Let's price it accordingly and it should do just fine. 2 million ish sales later and now they getting paid by Microsoft to reach more players. This is text book win-win.

Roberts

Funny how it works: I have finished the first game and enjoyed it but pretty much didn’t remember anything about it and now after playing this one for a little bit, it all came back to me.

Anyway, seems like a good improvement on everything that worked in the first game. Also, surprisingly sharp for a game that has such a low internal resolution (playing Balanced on XSX).

Nothing against you but you either like souls type games or not. Something tells me if you didn't want to buy or play ER by now, you are probably not going to like it. You can get your fix by playing Lies of P.
That's fair.

I was never completely sold on the souls genre, but, I wouldn't mind trying Elden Ring...I just don't care enough to buy it ahead of other stuff.

I played Lies of P and it's decent enough, and I've played Demon Souls Remake, Bloodborne, Nioh, The Surge and its sequel, so I'm not totally against the genre, as I said.

I suppose I was waiting for a sale before jumping in - but I never actually pulled the trigger on those rare occasions it was reduced.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Wait you don't play Remnant 2 but have a Forsaken avatar 🤔

Hoddi

I gave both of them a shot as I'd never heard of these games until this summer. I'm a bit further into the first game but I'll be damned if these aren't sleepers that I missed.

On a complete side note, I have my SX plugged into an old plasma that I was going to upgrade last Friday. I ended up not doing that but goddamn does Remnant 2 look good on that TV.

That's ironic, the first couple hours of the forspoken are objectively terrible; just slow and boring and especially infuriating with those dumb stealth sections, and it's not until you beat the first boss that the game really picks up.

rofif

Banned
That's ironic, the first couple hours of the forspoken are objectively terrible; just slow and boring and especially infuriating with those dumb stealth sections, and it's not until you beat the first boss that the game really picks up.
I didn’t find it as bad at all. The stealth section was bad but it’s only few minutes

RPS37

I sometimes really wish I was better at convincing my friends (who also sub t9 GP) to try new co op games.

I knew nothing of this game until it hit gamepass.

Played a bunch last night with randoms and I have to say that this game is fantastic. UI could use some polish but the game is fun as hell

Zuzu

Remnant also runs at a low base resolution, (it's like 792p in Balanced 60 FPS mode) but you wouldn't know playing on console cause its one of the rare UE5 games which uses Unreal's own TSR up-sampling, which has better resolve than FSR2, especially in motion.

TSR is so much better in this game than FSR. Now that I’ve seen it I really want this to be the standard up-sampler used in all UE5 games from now on.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
TSR is so much better in this game than FSR. Now that I’ve seen it I really want this to be the standard up-sampler used in all UE5 games from now on.

How did you test it, since TSR is disabled by default in this game?

Zuzu

How did you test it, since TSR is disabled by default in this game?

TSR is being used in the console versions of the game. I’m comparing it primarily to games I’ve seen that use FSR to upsample low resolutions. E.g. Immortals of Aveum and Jedi Survivor (performance mode prior to the patch that removed ray tracing) use FSR to upsample sub-1080p resolutions. They look noticeably worse than this game. Immortals is using UE5 and Jedi uses UE4.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
TSR is being used in the console versions of the game. I’m comparing it primarily to games I’ve seen that use FSR to upsample low resolutions. E.g. Immortals of Aveum and Jedi Survivor (performance mode) use FSR to upsample sub-1080p resolutions. They look a lot worse than the TSR in this game. Immortals is using UE5 and Jedi uses UE4.

OK. Although a bit strange, that they used different settings on consoles, since TSR is set off by default on PC.
Then again, on PC we have DLSS, FSR2 and XeSS.

That's cool that buying games full price makes them better for you.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Who called this a souls-like? It's just Returnal meets Destiny. I haven't come across such a terrible story in a long time too. Whatever world they've built, it didn't capture my interest at all.

I might play it occasionally for shooting, the mechanics aren't bad. I'm hugely disappointed.

Dodge+bonfire+"You're dead"= Soulslike, eh? Bs.

Zuzu

Montion blur would've been good for the s .. like whatever Bethesda did with that in Starfield should be standard for low FPS

Sorry I was wrong. I was playing it on the S a few hours ago and there is a motion blur toggle. It didn't have motion blur at release according to Digital Foundry but it's there now. I looked it up and they patched in a motion blur toggle.

Malio

Two games I was thiiiis close to buying: Dead Space remaster and Remnant II. Thanks Uncle Phil! 🤣

Top Bottom