• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant 2 is the first game using UE5’s Nanite to eliminate geometry pop-ins

Remnant 2 releases later today and it will be the second game powered by Unreal Engine 5 (the first one was Layers of Fear). And, surprisingly enough, it’s also the first game that is using UE5’s Nanite in order to eliminate distant geometry/object pop-ins.

Below you can find a video in which we showcase how the game handles its distant objects/textures. As you can see, thanks to Nanite, Remnant 2 does not suffer from any pop-in or pop-up issues. And this right here is one of the best features of this new action-survival shooter.
Traditionally, games handled distant objects with low-quality assets. When players were getting closer to them, their high-quality assets were simply popping up. By adjusting the Level of Detail setting, players could increase the distance in which the game could display its high-quality assets.

A clever way to hide the pop-up issues was the inclusion of a fade-in/fade-out filter. By using this, some games could make the transition to the higher quality assets a bit smoother. However, for unknown reasons, most games weren’t using such an effect, resulting in a truly awful gaming experience. Seriously, in some games, objects, trees and grass were changing right in front of you.

With Unreal Engine 5’s Nanite, Level of Detail (LOD) is automatically handled and no longer requires manual setup for individual mesh’s LODs. Loss of quality is also rare or non-existent, especially with LOD transitions.
From what we can see, Remnant 2 uses Nanite for all of its objects, trees, and grass. And that’s something that we truly appreciate. Yes, the game’s graphics do not justify its ridiculously high GPU requirements. However, Remnant 2 is at least a great-looking game. Not only that, but the game does not suffer from any shader compilation stutters. Both Layers of Fear and Remnant 2 do not have this kind of stutters, and both of them use Unreal Engine 5. So yeah, things are looking promising regarding this.

My only gripe with Remnant 2 is its Ambient Occlusion implementation. For some reason, AO completely disappears from the edges of your screen while moving. I don’t know why this is happening, but Gunfire needs to fix it. Once you notice it, it can be a big deal breaker. I also believe that the game would greatly benefit from RTAO.

Honestly didn’t even notice the Nanite stuff on distant objects, but good to know it’s there. The AO on the edge of the screen is obvious but not deal breaking.

Do some people really only play games based on their graphics? Calling Nanite one of the games best features is weird. The games a shit load of fun, Nanite doesn’t make it anymore fun.

ARK1391

Honestly didn’t even notice the Nanite stuff on distant objects, but good to know it’s there. The AO on the edge of the screen is obvious but not deal breaking.

Do some people really only play games based on their graphics? Calling Nanite one of the games best features is weird. The games a shit load of fun, Nanite doesn’t make it anymore fun.
Yes, and it's awful. These people are the reason we don't have innovations in A.I and gameplay.

Yes, and it's awful. These people are the reason we don't have innovations in A.I and gameplay.
I feel like people who just play games for the graphics would be better off watching a film.

Remnant 2 uses UE5 but I have no doubt that the game was designed with gameplay being the first priority.

winjer

Gold Member
No shader compilation stutter sounds good to me.

I really liked the first Remnant, so I’ll be giving this a look down the road.

It uses UE5.2, so it has the new automatic PSO gathering tech.
There are still some stutters from asset streaming. But not common during gameplay.

While this is indeed great achievement I feel like the devs should still offer players the option to lower the LOD quality as more modest hardware seems to be struggling somewhat.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Why are you guys acting like graphics and gameplay are mutually exclusive? It's possible to appreciate a game for its technical achievements all the while enjoying the gameplay. One doesn't preclude the other from existing. Nanite being one of the best features is obviously in reference to the technical side of things.

Just because you appreciate good graphics and technology doesn't mean you don't care about the gameplay.

yurinka

Calling Nanite one of the games best features is weird. The games a shit load of fun, Nanite doesn’t make it anymore fun.
There aren't innovations in AI and gameplay because too realistic AI makes the games too difficult and frustrating, and there aren't gameplay innovations because people almost allways know familiar stuff they already know that they like, and reject new ideas. This is the reason of why all top seller and best rated games have very little innovation and the most innovative games almost always tank hard in sales and reviews.

Plus, programmers of the visual tech aren't the same ones who program AI or gameplay. And these AI or gameplay programmers aren't the ones who design them, there are game designers for this. Improvements in visuals don't affect improvements in gameplay.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

There aren't innovations in AI and gameplay because too realistic AI makes the games too difficult and frustrating, and there aren't gameplay innovations because people almost allways know familiar stuff they already know that they like, and reject new ideas. This is the reason of why all top seller and best rated games have very little innovation and the most innovative games almost always tank hard in sales and reviews.

Plus, programmers of the visual tech aren't the same ones who program AI or gameplay. And these AI or gameplay programmers aren't the ones who design them, there are game designers for this. Improvements in visuals don't affect improvements in gameplay.
There is a whole world of difference between impossibly realistic ai and the brain-dead puppets we see in games that frustrate in an entirely different way. Devs can absolutely improve. There's a lotta room.

yurinka

There is a whole world of difference between impossibly realistic ai and the brain-dead puppets we see in games that frustrate in an entirely different way. Devs can absolutely improve. There's a lotta room.
A big portion of the fun is to predict how to beat the challenges and achieve it. And to do that they have to be predictable, accessible and not too difficult. Also, for testing and balance purposes they also must be predictable and reproducible.

But yes, there's room for improvement and they will keep improving -always inside these constrains- as they always did. The current step where they are working on is to use AI combined with in-game metrics (player behavior statistics) to improve procedural stuff, which until now typically didn't affect dialogs, enemy behavior, missions, weapons/enemy rebalancing or level design since all that was normally done 'manually'.

hyperbertha

A big portion of the fun is to predict how to beat the challenges and achieve it. And to do that they have to be predictable, accessible and not too difficult. Also, for testing and balance purposes they also must be predictable and reproducible.

But yes, there's room for improvement and they will keep improving -always inside these constrains- as they always did. The current step where they are working on is to use AI combined with in-game metrics (player behavior statistics) to improve procedural stuff, which until now typically didn't affect dialogs, enemy behavior, missions, weapons/enemy rebalancing or level design since all that was normally done 'manually'.
I don't know. Ai has been a downgrade ever since fear. Devs just seem lazy. They still can't do basic things like flanking and not hide behind explosives.

ARK1391

Why are you guys acting like graphics and gameplay are mutually exclusive? It's possible to appreciate a game for its technical achievements all the while enjoying the gameplay. One doesn't preclude the other from existing. Nanite being one of the best features is obviously in reference to the technical side of things.

Just because you appreciate good graphics and technology doesn't mean you don't care about the gameplay
I mean in this particular case, the guy said that a visual issue was a "deal breaker" so...

But yes, I agree there are people who can and do appreciate both. However, not everyone does, there are people who only care about graphics.

yurinka

I don't know. Ai has been a downgrade ever since fear.
Lol, every generation they get way more complex, but you just don't notice it.

Devs just seem lazy.
Every generation games get way bigger, detailed and complex. They require much more work than before. In all areas, not just AI or level design.

Am assuming developers work hard to make AI hide behind explosives so player can shoot it.
It's fun to kill enemies with explosives, so sometimes 'explosive barrels' are placed next to them/they aren't told to avoid them to have fun with these things.

They can be easily be made smart enough to avoid them keeping always a safe distance, you'd lose these fun moments.

Last edited:

Belthazar

Nanite has to be my favorite thing to come out of Unreal. It almost completely eliminates what is IMO the most distracting and immersion-breaking thing in 3d gaming. It's also very easy to implement too, it's basically a toggle when importing meshes.

kiphalfton

This is like UE4 all over again, where all these games people couldn't care less about are scurrying to be among "the first UE5 games".

Game still looks like crap graphically.

Last edited:
Nanite has to be my favorite thing to come out of Unreal. It almost completely eliminates what is IMO the most distracting and immersion-breaking thing in 3d gaming. It's also very easy to implement too, it's basically a toggle when importing meshes.

It still has shimmer and upscaling artifacts.

Also no ray tracing means lighting keeps changing in unusual ways.

Hopefully next gen all this will be eliminated with high resolution and ray tracing.

FeralEcho

I feel like people who just play games for the graphics would be better off watching a film.

Remnant 2 uses UE5 but I have no doubt that the game was designed with gameplay being the first priority.
I also feel like people who don't care about graphics have shit tvs or need to quickly check their eyesight. Games are a visual medium therefore graphics are important.

Why is there an either or anyway? Why can't a game be fun and have great graphics?

Shifty1897

UBEku0N.jpg

This is not my kind of game but I am interested in the technology behind it: Unreal Engine 5. The graphics are good but not mind-blowing (character models look distinctly last-gen) and the screen space shadows that fade in and out at the edges of the screen and when they are occluded is a bit of an eye-sore and a disappointment, considering this is a current-gen engine. What worries me more though is the apparently poor performance: it doesn't hold a locked 30 or 60 fps on consoles, despite using a dynamic resolution system that can drop down to, I believe Digital Foundry, stated 720p. On PC, the game is apparently built around DLSS/FSR/XeSS upscaling because running the game at native resolution is very demanding. I saw a YouTube video that showed a RTX 3080 running the game at 30-35 fps on the Ultra preset at 1440p, something like that. Enable DLSS and that jumps up to around 60 fps but with dips below that.

Drizzlehell

Banned
That's cool I guess but this doesn't seem like the kind of game that would really benefit from such a feature because it's not very prominent during gameplay. Lack of object pop-in would look really great in games where you often stare into wide open vistas.

That's cool I guess but this doesn't seem like the kind of game that would really benefit from such a feature because it's not very prominent during gameplay. Lack of object pop-in would look really great in games where you often stare into wide open vistas.

It benefits it a lot.

Makes for a very stable image. And it has very pretty vistas as well.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It benefits it a lot.

Makes for a very stable image. And it has very pretty vistas as well.
But who cares about a "stable image" when you'll be focusing your attention on fighting enemies 90% of the time. Not to mention that most of this game is spent exploring cramped bunkers or running around narrow streets, which isn't the best way to showcase this feature either. Where it would really make a difference is in a game like GTA where you're constantly surrounded with huge open spaces and actually pay attention to these surroundings while driving or flying.

Last edited:
But who cares about a "stable image" when you'll be focusing your attention on fighting enemies 90% of the time. Not to mention that most of this game is spent exploring cramped bunkers or running around narrow streets, which isn't the best way to showcase this feature either. Where it would really make a difference is in a game like GTA where you're constantly surrounded with huge open spaces and actually pay attention to these surroundings while driving or flying.

It's not fighting 90% of the time. You are mostly exploring cause game doesn't have objective markers of any sort. No pop in is equally as impressive in linear levels as it was in Matrix UE5 demo.

Sure, it will perhaps enhance next GTA even more, but I would like this tech used in all games. And I am playing at 900p 30 fps on Series S.

KXVXII9X

After playing TLOU Part 2, I disagree. I thought the game had impressive A.I. while still offering a myriad of difficulty and accessibility options. It isn't about AI making the entire hard but acting more natural. The game also sold really well.

After playing TLOU Part 2, I disagree. I thought the game had impressive A.I. while still offering a myriad of difficulty and accessibility options. It isn't about AI making the entire hard but acting more natural. The game also sold really well.
Yeah, I didn’t really understand the comment about realistic being difficult either. It’s not about being difficult, it’s about them acting more like they should. Throwing grenades when in cover rather than rushing, planning with their team, suppression tactics, flanking etc.

Say what you want about The Last of Us 2 and its story, but holy shit that A.I was a blast to play against. Proof that you can have groundbreaking visuals and good A.I together.

Top Bottom