• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite Chapter 4 to utilise Unreal Engine 5.1 (Nanite, Lumen, Virtual Shadow Maps, Global Illumination, Ray Tracing, TSR)

Tygeezy

I will never understand why people hate fortnite. It's a fantastic game, can be addicting, has some of the best cosmetics and cross overs in the business and is free 2 play and has the best live service support that brings in new gameplay toys and creativity every season. Great shooting and good use of the engine. I am glad it exists.
It's extremely popular which means someone always has to come take a piss on it. I agree with you, the game is fantastic. Particularly now that there is a zero build mode.

bitbydeath

I won't get them features doing 120fps on ps5 will I? Gets downgraded doesn't it
Played the game on my PS5 with 120HZ.

Do I need to play It at 60fps to see all those graphics improvements or what??

Yes.
For Nanite, Lumen, Virtual Shadow Maps, and Temporal Super Resolution to be available in Fortnite on your PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X|S, make sure the "120 FPS Mode" setting (in the "Graphics" section of the Video settings) is set to off.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

quYOSbO.jpg

Meh
You are nicer than me, at least you pointed out something. but its sad when people think fortnight is pretty..

Do they have a straight up deathmatch mode with respawning?
Yes they have other modes aside from BR, but their maps/map designs are not up to par for these modes. They are still just mostly open areas with little bits of cover sprinkled in so that there isn't heavy spawn camping. Playing it won't deliver the Halo, Quake, CoD, or Goldeneye experience that most DM players are looking for.

On top of that, I don't even know if they have the UT guys over at Epic anymore.

Buggy Loop

dang, all of this without using any actual raytracing... impressive
i want it to be used in a better game, though

What do you mean? Lumen is ray tracing. It's simply a more approximated method with the signed distance fields rather than a per triangle solution, but it's still ray tracing. It's software ray tracing with more limitations. It's still pretty and we are finally stepping out of crappy last gen global illumination solutions.

This is the beginning of the tsunami of ray traced games we'll have in the coming years. A lot of unreal 5 games in the pipeline, they all have ray tracing. Software or hardware, doesn't matter, what matters is the bar in global illumination has been raised once and for all. What this also means is that every games supporting Lumen (and who wouldn't by using unreal 5), will get an hardware Lumen RT for PC. Good times :D

Fun reads

Last edited:

CamHostage

Pics look great. Has a nice presence to the image, everything looks real and physical. Very pretty, it pops the game out in a whole new way.

Also, there's some interesting details in the tech specs, such as that its realtime raytracing under Lumen Global Illumination/Reflections requires Nanite be turned on. (Lots of people think of Nanites as "amazingly infinite polygons" and so that might sound counterintuitive that the most advanced lighting system requires the most detailed polygon models, but Nanite is a Virtualized system, so it makes sense that it could be used to help.

I'm a little disappointed that not much advancement is made or mentioned regarding Chaos Physics system (which is technically a UE4 inclusion but it bridges the two and is still in development.) Graphics are finally taking a leap in Fortnite, but the physics system changed a while ago yet not much felt different according to most reports. I'd like to see that played with a bit more in Fortnite, if for no other reason than to help it feed back into the main UE feature set. (They are doing some cool demolition stuff in the trailer, in the very beginning where the ramp splinters and at the end where the building crumbles, and I believe Chapter 3 replaced some of the cheap disappearing-tree stuff with a falling log so maybe Chaos is being used a little bit more judiciously for visual effects of destruction? Or has it being doing that for a while and I just haven't seen it showcased like this?)

4BHrHm4.jpg

Say what you want about the game but this is the first example of this tech that I know of for PS5/Series consoles.

Season is live now, might check this out later.

Kind of depends on how you credit it? Fortnite Chapter 3 was their opportunity to port the engine from UE4 to UE5 (on all platforms, from next-gen down to mobile,) but that was a baseline port and I don't think it really invested in any of these advancements. (There was a Fortnite reflections patch sometime around this time that looked really good, but I think that was still before Chapter 3?) After the basics, this Chapter 4 upgrade is now a flex update, where they're done with the hard work and now they can show off by playing with the deeper feature set on more powerful hardware.

If Fortnite Ch3 did not use Lumen or Nanite, then our first console taste of this tech was the Matrix Awakens demo from last year.

This will however be the first consumer experience (on console or PC) that uses the more recent UE 5.1 engine.

Last edited:
You are nicer than me, at least you pointed out something. but its sad when people think fortnight is pretty..
Epic Games visual style use to stand out amongst other titles. Fortnite uses the same style that Dota 2 uses which uses the same style that Overwatch uses which uses the same style that Valorant uses, ect. That painted texture over exaggerated models is straight yock. They can still make cool looking shit if you watch their tech demos like Infiltrator, but we're stuck with this Fortnite man. Even their development model is different now, it's entirely centered around streaming hustlers. Fuck Epic games.

GenericUser

Gonna download that and see for myself. Pretty crazy that they managed to make it run at 60fps. I know it still looks like fortnite, but still, very impressive achievement.

Hugare

I won't get them features doing 120fps on ps5 will I? Gets downgraded doesn't it
Played the game on my PS5 with 120HZ.

Do I need to play It at 60fps to see all those graphics improvements or what??
Just tested, and yes, you need 60 fps mode for Lumen/Nanite

120 FPS is the old stuff

Looks crazy impressive ingame. Wow.

You can change on/off 120 fps ingame to see the difference. And its something to behold.

Fortnite just became one of the most impressive games graphically

Just download it for the hype and is same shit as always? Simple meshes low res textures. PlayStation 5

Using sniper also lot of popup

Last edited:
Peeked my interest, but i have no friends that like fortnite, and don't want to keep the gpu at 80c by playing a battle royale.

so we can finally say goodbye to pop-in? if so then.................
captain-picard-full-of-win.jpg
You still see some occasional thing pop, just like in the Matrix demo, but they almost got completely rid of it. Which is the best news, since it's one of the things left from previous generations that can be really jarring.

Very impressive overall, especially the lighting and reflections on such a big scale!

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I played for a couple of hours last night(Series X version). Game looks amazing, while still playing at 60fps. I’m blown away how this free to play game looks and performs better than most games.

That said, with the new map, and visuals, and gameplay changes, this new chapter really makes this game feel like Fortnite 2.0

I really look forward to the inevitable Digital Foundry tech review video of this new update.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
My first game ever

U2Fnkow.png

And yes it looks pretty

But damn, it's fun, but how the fuck....who the fuck made that UI, it's ultimate fucking trash
A win is a win but Epic is fantastic in this aspect that they let new players play their first game against all NPCs with the possibility of a few other new players sprinkled in

Even if someone takes a long break they ease you back in hooking you on that winning feeling

After about your 5th game or so you will be playing full lobbies with other players

FritzJ92

I played for a couple of hours last night(Series X version). Game looks amazing, while still playing at 60fps. I’m blown away how this free to play game looks and performs better than most games.

That said, with the new map, and visuals, and gameplay changes, this new chapter really makes this game feel like Fortnite 2.0

I really look forward to the inevitable Digital Foundry tech review video of this new update.
Because as it has been said many times, the game's price does not indicate the quality of the release.
For example, see "Calisto Protocol."

Because as it has been said many times, the game's price does not indicate the quality of the release.
For example, see "Calisto Protocol."
Yea, some of these 'free' games generate more money than most AAA releases. Fortnite definitely being one of them.

What amazes me is that they apparently ported this game from some UE4 version very easily to UE5 with all its features present. That's pretty wild.

Seeing this in action makes it not so hard to grasp why many studio's are leaning towards this engine. Even big developers like CDProjekt Red just ditched their own engine..

Having spent a year in the past playing Fortnite exclusively, I tentatively downloaded it again. Yeah, it’s a prettier game and the movement changes are great but after a few matches that was enough for me, I hope so anyway.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Played it on xsx and wow really impressive. It must be without raytracing? Still very impressive.

TTOOLL

Game looks really good now on PC with TSR(Quality), Nanite(Epic), Lumen(Epic), and Hardware RT enabled. Although my 3060 laptop can't really handle those settings. I was just curious how it looks. I haven't played Fortnite forever, so it's quite the improvement since the last time I've seen it.
mSGysCM.jpg

How was the FPS with those settings? 60 at least? What resolution?

Top Bottom