• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite Chapter 4 to utilise Unreal Engine 5.1 (Nanite, Lumen, Virtual Shadow Maps, Global Illumination, Ray Tracing, TSR)

dem

I've had some periods of major FPS drops on the Series X. Especially when you use the hammer to smash someone.

Looks ok though.
I actually kinda prefer the more cartoony look. My kid thought it looked weird now. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
A win is a win but Epic is fantastic in this aspect that they let new players play their first game against all NPCs with the possibility of a few other new players sprinkled in

Even if someone takes a long break they ease you back in hooking you on that winning feeling

After about your 5th game or so you will be playing full lobbies with other players
Your first game they have you play against bots fyi.

It is what it is, but hey little happinesses and all of that

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just downloaded it for the first time ever. Won my first game in my first ever game. I never won in CoD despite playing it everyday for 2 months.

It's hilarious because I had no idea how any of the controls work. Played all the game without a shield. Was trying to figure out how to apply a shield and medkits in the final circle. It must be all kids playing at this hour or maybe because it was my first game they paired me up with kids.

Regardless, the graphics are meh. Im not impressed by this cartoony style.The lighting still feels drab and boring in many areas. Not impressive in the slighest. Lipstick on a pig etc.

Mossybrew

Played a bunch on PS5 yesterday, didn't know I needed to disable 120fps mode to get the new graphical goodies, will have to check that out tonight.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not into this game, but a enjoy seeing the tech advance and those shots look good.

Then again, might give it a go since they removed that weird build mechanic, yeah?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Just downloaded it for the first time ever. Won my first game in my first ever game. I never won in CoD despite playing it everyday for 2 months.

It's hilarious because I had no idea how any of the controls work. Played all the game without a shield. Was trying to figure out how to apply a shield and medkits in the final circle. It must be all kids playing at this hour or maybe because it was my first game they paired me up with kids.

Regardless, the graphics are meh. Im not impressed by this cartoony style.The lighting still feels drab and boring in many areas. Not impressive in the slighest. Lipstick on a pig etc.
Your first game is always up against all NPCs to get you that feeling of that win

Even if you take a long break they do the same thing

They start adding low skill players after your first match or two and quickly ramp you up to full player lobbies

Reactions: Isa

Buggy Loop

Nobody tell him. Let him have this victory

The first game released using UE5.1 looks and funs fantastic, we can only go up from here is THIS is the baseline. I know this is Epic making the game who also did the engine, but there are other talented UE devs out that who made UE4 sing. Honestly, can't wait to see what The Coalition releases.

splattered

Fable is using the Forza engine while Avowed and the next RPG by Inexile, among other Xbox games, are using UE5.

I hope the engine choice isn't what brings this game down like we saw with Halo Infinite... Sucks that proprietary engines seem to be more of a thing of the past anymore. UE is just so good what else compares?

I hope the engine choice isn't what brings this game down like we saw with Halo Infinite... Sucks that proprietary engines seem to be more of a thing of the past anymore. UE is just so good what else compares?
FH4 & FH5 are both good looking engines that run well on last gen hardware and don't need a powerhouse PC to run at both playable fps and pretty effects, and it stands to reason the dev that has been using this engine for years is probably well versed using it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
the new update made my PC cry but playing around with the settings i can turn the nanite/lumens ones up to epic and get about 70-110fps. obviously i've not got raytracing on and i need to run the AA setting on performance. the game hitches now and then but it's perfectly playable and doesn't look like 720p which is what it's rendering at as i have 1440p screen.

i'll turn the lumens and nanite down to High and see if i notice a difference. the game looks great though!

if i set my fps to 60fps does that enable some other setting? i have it at unlimited.

splattered

FH4 & FH5 are both good looking engines that run well on last gen hardware and don't need a powerhouse PC to run at both playable fps and pretty effects, and it stands to reason the dev that has been using this engine for years is probably well versed using it.

Definitely, i just hope that will translate well to something like a large RPG. Didn't we see issues with the frostbite engine trying various genres?

Definitely, i just hope that will translate well to something like a large RPG. Didn't we see issues with the frostbite engine trying various genres?
We did but I suspect Frostbite was a problem with EA forcing it down developers throats that may not have had experience with it, where in this case the folks working with this engine now are also the ones who created it and have been using for for what, 5+ years now. Sidenote, what a clusterfuck it was for EA forcing Frostbite onto BioWare and Madden. Frostbite was a good engine but it clearly wasn't meant to be used in the manner it was without a lot of work. Mass Effect Andromeda was a tech marvel after a few patches but I wonder how much of their time was wasted trying to square peg, round hole it.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
How was the FPS with those settings? 60 at least? What resolution?
This is 1440p and my laptop only gets around 30-35fps at these settings. There’s at frame rate counter in the upper right corner, but it’s hard to see because the colors. 3060 laptop is really more like a 2060 desktop since it only has 6GB VRAM. I just wanted to see what the game could look like at near highest settings.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Shame it's Fortnite and I don't care. I'll wait to try this when a better game comes out.

For now, I'm happy trying the forest demo and whatever comes free for UE5.1.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yeah, but when do the goos games get those features?
Goose game?

pipe-1568931609207_160w.jpg

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I guess we're about to see if UE5 can do 60fps after all. If it doesn't I imagine there will be some unhappy players.

bitbydeath

Holy shit I thought it was just me, I recently upgraded to a new phone so I thought it was that. Is there a way to fix this shit? I was taking test screenshots to check, the CoD shots took A DAY to load. My captures used to load on the app immediately after it's done uploading from my PS5. Idk what the issue is.

IMG_1818.png

IMG_1821.png
I turned off “Console Sharing and Offline Play”, rebooted the PS5, and re-enabled it, it now appears to be working again.

Joe5d1S.jpg

UCOHbhk.jpg

5vLAUnB.jpg

Banned

the current movement mechanics don't even work correctly half of the times... so I wonder how buggey these will be tbh.

it happens extremely often that your animations stutter and glitch out if you do a slide or climb up something.

the game in general feels really bad to play since they introduced these mechanics, I think the implementation doesn't jive with their netcode.
because what seems to happen is your local inputs get desynced compared to what the server sees, and then the server sends its data back and the game then tries to correct your location on your local instance.

this results in moments where you fall off ledges because a slide jump wasn't registered correctly server side or where you climb up a ledge and get completely bugged out.

the latter thing was a big issue for multiple weeks last season, you could get into situations where after you climb up something your game would feel like you have constant lags and desyncs, and the only way to get out of that is to get on a zipline, which I assume basically reset your synchronisation with the server.

and now with the new parkour mechanics they introduced with the newest update I already had multiple instances where parcouring over a fence or rock would result in me glitching out and getting flung 10m in the direction I sprinted.

bitbydeath

the current movement mechanics don't even work correctly half of the times... so I wonder how buggey these will be tbh.

it happens extremely often that your animations stutter and glitch out if you do a slide or climb up something.

the game in general feels really bad to play since they introduced these mechanics, I think the implementation doesn't jive with their netcode.
because what seems to happen is your local inputs get desynced compared to what the server sees, and then the server sends its data back and the game then tries to correct your location on your local instance.

this results in moments where you fall off ledges because a slide jump wasn't registered correctly server side or where you climb up a ledge and get completely bugged out.

the latter thing was a big issue for multiple weeks last season, you could get into situations where after you climb up something your game would feel like you have constant lags and desyncs, and the only way to get out of that is to get on a zipline, which I assume basically reset your synchronisation with the server.

and now with the new parkour mechanics they introduced with the newest update I already had multiple instances where parcouring over a fence or rock would result in me glitching out and getting flung 10m in the direction I sprinted.
You sure you don’t just need to turn some of your PC settings down?

It seems smooth on my PS5, even smoother now with the gliding over objects update in this latest version?

Banned
You sure you don’t just need to turn some of your PC settings down?

It seems smooth on my PS5, even smoother now with the gliding over objects update in this latest version?

I play mainly on Series X these days... because you know... UNREAL ENGINE #StutterStruggle

and this has nothing to do with the performance, what I'm talking about are clear signs of a netcode issue that results in server desync.

you do an action, at first it looks like it worked, but soon your character gets reset to the location the server thinks you are.

so you do a quick slide jump off of a building to reach another building, you jump in the air... and then suddenly you glitch down and fall to your death.

this is an extreme case but this can totally happen.

usually it's just small hiccups that aren't as dramatic but the game in general just feels way worse than comparable games like Apex

bitbydeath

I play mainly on Series X these days... because you know... UNREAL ENGINE #StutterStruggle

and this has nothing to do with the performance, what I'm talking about are clear signs of a netcode issue that results in server desync.

you do an action, at first it looks like it worked, but soon your character gets reset to the location the server thinks you are.

so you do a quick slide jump off of a building to reach another building, you jump in the air... and then suddenly you glitch down and fall to your death.

this is an extreme case but this can totally happen.

usually it's just small hiccups that aren't as dramatic but the game in general just feels way worse than comparable games like Apex
Maybe someone else can weigh in cause I can’t say I’ve experienced that. 🤷‍♂️

Banned

there's also smaller things, like guns that go into first person if you ADS, what often happens there is that the FPS view tries to sync up with your character model (is what I assume happens) and glitches to the side a bit.

so you go into the scope but suddenly your scope just snaps a few meters to the right or left from where you originally aimed at.

the whole character controller of the game in combination with the netcode seem highly unpolished for quite a while now.
this was not even remotely something I noticed pre Chapter 3 or pre Chapter 2.

I in principle like where the game is evolving towards but it absolutely feels less and less polished as time goes on, with IMO Chapter 1 Season 10 being the era where the game felt the most polished.

Banned

just an example of the parcour system being bugged/desyncing from when I played the game yesterday

and similar weird stuff happens if you do slide-jumps and other stuff... usually those don't look this funny tho

in the first example of this video I think what happens is the ice physics fuck with the climbing mechanic as I go directly from one to the other... for the second example in the video I can only guess that it has to be normal server desync where the parcour move wasn't properly sent to the server and the server saw my character walking with a steady speed in the direction I was sprinting towards, as if there was no obstacle in the way... and then it synced up again and dropped me above the ledge

Last edited:
Top Bottom