• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant II - The Awakened King | Review Thread

REM2_DLC1_Header-9fb06f648e9c39f06a97-1024x576.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Remnant II - The Awakened King

Platforms:
  • Xbox Series X/S (Nov 14, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Nov 14, 2023)
  • PC (Nov 14, 2023)
Trailer:
Developer: Gunfire Games

Publisher: Gearbox Publishing

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 85 average - 86% recommended
Metacritic - 89 average based on 5 critic reviews

Written Reviews

But Why Tho? - Katherine Kong - 8 / 10
Remnant II: The Awakened King is a gratifying experience. As a one-shot adventure that players can jump into regardless of whether or not they have completed the main campaign makes it approachable for all players, new or veteran.

CGMagazine - Matt Keith - 9 / 10
Remnant 2: The Awakened King is an excellent addition to an already solid game. It offers a unique new Story and provides a new perspective on a previously explored zone. Additionally, it offers new lore, weapons, gear and Archetype for veteran players to experiment with.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 84 / 100
The Awakened King adds a substantial amount of excellent content, combat, and loot to the moody, gothic-inspired Losomn world of Remnant 2. Everything that was great about Remnant 2 remains in place. The new, handcrafted environments and deliberately-paced narrative blend pretty seamlessly into the base game. Remnant 2 remains a not-impossible challenge for solo players, but a near-perfect one for a small squad of action-loving friends.

Fextralife - Castielle - 8 / 10
Remnant II: The Awakened King DLC is a worthy addition to the ever-growing content of Remnant II. The new Equipment, Class, enhancements, and especially the level design provided an enjoyable and immersive experience that will keep players engaged for a good while.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 9.5 / 10
Remnant 2: The Awakened King DLC is filled with things to do and find, and a promising indication of things to come.

Hardcore Gamer - Jordan Helm - 4 / 5
Even without the niceties of a new mode or that significant an addition to the overarching plot, The Awakened King's exciting array of loot to acquire, an impressively-built setting to explore and fights to conquer serve as a promising start to Gunfire's post-launch support for Remnant II. That the team have proven once again they can offer even more means for players to further experiment and tinker with their set-up is a testament to just how impressive a delivery the sequel remains and how exciting future prospects may look in the coming months.

The Outerhaven Productions - Keith Mitchell - 4 / 5
Remnant 2’s first DLC, The Awakened King, is a change to how Gunfire Games tells its stories, and in that regard, it does a great job. However, adding a handful of new locations tossed into the pool of existing locations is frustrating as I encountered the older locations more than I did with the newer locations. This meant I constantly re-rolled my adventure until I encountered the new stuff. This needs to be addressed for this DLC to be worthwhile to new and existing Remnant 2 players. But outside of that, I enjoyed the DLC, and the closure to the storyline that started in the base game was refreshing.

Video Reviews

Last edited:
I already have the DLC installed, but I started playing Elden Ring a few days ago and now I'm immersed in this game.
But after that, I'm definitely going back to Remnant 2.
Yeah, the reviews seem to be very solid for this DLC. Will probably pick it up as well later this month as I really enjoyed my time with Remnant 2.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
REM2_DLC1_Header-9fb06f648e9c39f06a97-1024x576.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Remnant II - The Awakened King

Platforms:
  • Xbox Series X/S (Nov 14, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Nov 14, 2023)
  • PC (Nov 14, 2023)
Trailer:
Developer: Gunfire Games

Publisher: Gearbox Publishing

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 85 average - 86% recommended
Metacritic - 89 average based on 5 critic reviews

Written Reviews

But Why Tho? - Katherine Kong - 8 / 10

CGMagazine - Matt Keith - 9 / 10

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 84 / 100

Fextralife - Castielle - 8 / 10

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 9.5 / 10

Hardcore Gamer - Jordan Helm - 4 / 5

The Outerhaven Productions - Keith Mitchell - 4 / 5

Video Reviews

Can you cancel animations or have to wait for a keyframe to do it?

Starting with a couple of buddies in a couple of days.

Looks to be high quality and we will get 3 of them included in Deluxe Edition. Future seems bright for this game.

kikkis

I tried getting in to this game. But it didn't really seem to do anything particularly well and first boss I got to was just frustratingly long.

winjer

Gold Member
any other traits cap improvements other than the levels? which I assume bump the trait cap.

I haven't played it yet, so I don't know the details.
But there is a new class.

And also, they finally added an option in the matchmaking for regions. This will probably help getting paired with players with high latency.

Dev1lXYZ

I got stuck on the maze boss section months ago and dropped it and never looked back. I have been told that it is the hardest part of RII.

I got stuck on the maze boss section months ago and dropped it and never looked back. I have been told that it is the hardest part of RII.
Nah, that boss was more about being patient and learning the movement patterns of those cubes. The biggest spike in difficulty is the final boss, I had to put the game down after about more than 2 dozen tries on solo mode since I was getting frustrated by it (before that it took me around 2-3 tries per boss with the maze boss taking me like 7-8 tries). The next day I finished it after another 10 or so tries by completely muting the music and paying attention to all the audio cues coming from the boss in order to precisely dodge its bullshit attacks. The performance was also kinda of ass during this final boss fight (at least on PS5) which didn't help matters at all.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

That boss is annoying, but not difficult.
Push on and learn the pattern.
Or open your game to other players, so they can help you.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Last king like expansion that made major improvements to a game was Destiny The Taken King. This looks good. Hoping it’s a fun ride.

Dev1lXYZ

I beat the main game today. It’s a lot shorter than I was expecting it to be. That’s not a bad thing, the wasteland planet level to me is a good 40% chunk of the game time wise. On to the DLC!

Top Bottom