• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Hardware Is Dated and Sony Knows It Needs to Be Updated, Says nDreams CEO

PlayStation-VR.jpg

PSVR (PlayStation VR) remains the best-selling Virtual Reality headset to date, having sold over 5 million units as of December 31st, 2020 according to Sony.

However, the PSVR hardware itself is hardly the best on the market. In fact, the opposite could be said at this point, with new cutting edge VR headsets releasing on a regular basis on PC.

That's why a lot of gamers are expecting a hardware refresh or even a proper PSVR 2 from Sony not too far in the future. In our recent interview, Schell Games CEO Jesse Schell said as much and even suggested it should be a standalone headset while being able to access more power when connected to the console, like the Oculus Quest on PC.

Now, talking to Gamesindustry, nDreams Patrick O'Luanaigh agreed that a PSVR hardware update is definitely in order - though he believes it won't be coming this year due to the PlayStation 5 launch.

I think Sony knows that, if VR is going to continue beyond the next year or two, they need to update their hardware. Because it is dated, and it will be even more dated by then. I'd be very surprised if they didn't continue to support VR.
But I wouldn't expect it to be announced at the same time as PlayStation 5. This year the focus has to be on the core of the business... so I think they'll be all over PS5 this year, and when that's solid, I think that's when you'll see what they're doing.
Truth to be told, Sony did actually release PSVR less than a month before launching the PlayStation 4 Pro in late 2016. However, the launch of the PlayStation 4 Pro wasn't nearly as important as releasing a brand new console generation. We agree that it is unlikely we'll see PSVR 2 in 2020, though late 2021 could be the right time.

Geki-D

Banned
I'm sure PSVR2 will get announced in 2021. I just hope we get more support, I wouldn't even mind if all games supported it but most games that weren't actual full VR games just had like look around camera control or something.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
We need a hybrid. There is no fucking reason for walled garden VR headsets. It's hurting an already niche market, because few people will buy more than one headset. There is no reason why there shouldn't be a headset that works on PC, Xbox, PS5, Mac. It's just some displays with USB/WLAN.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The PSVR tech is definitely outdated, and was when it came out compared to Vive/OR, but the truth is it hasn't advanced as much as I thought and hoped.

We need a hybrid. There is no fucking reason for walled garden VR headsets. It's hurting an already niche market, because few people will buy more than one headset. There is no reason why there shouldn't be a headset that works on PC, Xbox, PS5, Mac. It's just some displays with USB/WLAN.

Agreed, this is stupid. Microsoft could have done that by supporting Mixed Reality on Series X, but they're not doing that for some reason.

INC

Psvr is just poor, for the price it's a good first step in vr

Firewall is great tho, but looks like shit, wish it was on pc.

Cant wait to see psvr2 tho

If sony came out with a universal headset, that was £450 with eye tracking I'd consider it, but screen and FoV need to be better than at least a quest

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member

I think it depends on the headset...Index uses display port, for example, and I don't think either console will have a display port output? I believe some others use HDMI, so those could be options, and Open VR should allow any console to utilize room scale VR with the light house base stations since they just turn on/off over bluetooth and don't actually transmit any data. If Sony wanted to do it, it's probably feasible with some headsets.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
ps vr was dated the day it came out.

it's a console headset...what do people expect? even if they update it then it will still suck compared to a proper VR experience on PC and honestly they suck too.

Chun Swae

Banned
As someone who has owned an Oculus Quest and PSVR, honestly besides minor resolution and comfort differences the experience on both was the same. Which for me just isn’t that great for VR in general. I’m hoping the next generation of headsets companies start pushing for slimmer form factors.

INC

As someone who has owned an Oculus Quest and PSVR, honestly besides minor resolution and comfort differences the experience on both was the same. Which for me just isn’t that great for VR in general. I’m hoping the next generation of headsets companies start pushing for slimmer form factors.

You cant spin around on psvr, so for fps games, its completely different experience on psvr compared to say a rift s.

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

The old sony vr equipment is still expensive as hell. Not sure if I'm ready to spend that kind of money again for an upgrade I hardly use now.

Bankai

Sure it is dated, but it's still fantastic!

I have played lots of games on PSVR and I love it. Currently playing through Skyrim VR and sure, it looks dated - but the immersion is there and it is SUCH a different experience than "just" playing a game on the Tv. I love peeking around corners, being stealthy and just steal everything in sight :goog_hugging_face: Also, blasting away with magic (2 hands independently, with MOVE controllers) and/or shooting with bow & arrow: good stuff.

I can't wait for PSVR 2, but in the meantime I'm perfectly happy with my PS4 pro and PSVR. Hopefully the PS5 will offer a nice upgrade for current PSVR, all games supersampled and even higher framerates would be awesome.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
PSVR is just at PS1-levels of advancement.

PS5 and PSVR2 will take the experience far beyond anything else on the market.

Everything about PS5, from a development perspective to the end-user exeriences seems like it's highly geared towards being able to offer the killer VR experience.

For dev: super fast realisation of VR concepts through the fastest time-to-triangle ever for a PS console.

For users: no loading, 3D audio. Loading in VR is 1-million-times worse than on a TV.

Unfortunately though, I believe it's still going to be fairly niche. If they sell 10-20 million units of PSVR2 I think that will be a huge success and bodes well for the future.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Schell Games CEO Jesse Schell said as much and even suggested it should be a standalone headset while being able to access more power when connected to the console, like the Oculus Quest on PC.

I can't wait for PSVR2, but I don't really want it to go the Quest route (internal hardware but can connect to PS5). It just seems like a waste of resources for a headset that would have bad battery life and internal hardware that would be dated so fast and could only play chopped up versions of PS5 VR games.

And it would be confusing to the general Playstation audience. "Why can't I run Uncharted VR without the PS5??" If you want mass-market, you gotta make it moron-proof.

Last edited:

Chun Swae

Banned
You cant spin around on psvr, so for fps games, its completely different experience on psvr compared to say a rift s.
The experience of largely looking through a lens was the same on both systems and is for your average consumer, nothing huge to differentiate between them. Wireless was a good step for oculus and I hope PSVR2 is wireless, but the form factor for VR as a whole needs to go way down. Everything just so bulky and hot.

Keihart

PSVR with haptic controlers and finger tracking. VR is gonna be super viable on that console, we are only gonna be 1 gen short of threadmills.

Geki-D

Banned
PSVR with haptic controlers and finger tracking.
I'd say controls is the biggest thing Sony needs to work on. Using the Move, whilst it was a neat cost effective idea, was clearly not made for VR and seriously limited what you could do in games. They need full hand and analogue sticks on the pads.

Keihart

I'd say controls is the biggest thing Sony needs to work on. Using the Move, whilst it was a neat cost effective idea, was clearly not made for VR and seriously limited what you could do in games. They need full hand and analogue sticks on the pads.
Insideout tracking is propably a no brainer for cosole. No more cumbersome camera and stuff like it. Easier setup as well and less cables.
I hope they push finger tracking and haptic feedback tho. The dream would be some eye tracking on the headset for Foveated reendering. Whatever innovation that they get to push on console VR this gen, might push the standard up.

Last edited:

INC

what do you mean?

You cant physically turn around and can only move your head?

If you turn around in psvr the controllers are no longer picked up by the camera

Even on the aim controller, the ball still has to be tracked. So you're forced to only stand facing the camera. U can face any direction on rift s, inside out tracking, its freedom of movement. I use a pulley system as well, so its basically wire,ess within my room

Last edited:

INC

This creates more questions...

oh well, hopefully they change that on pS5d

Like what? Your hands and tracking disappear completely making fps games on psvr pretty much pointless unless u have an aim controller, because that has a analogue stick, but spinning in real life is far easier to aim and be more precise, than spinning a stick.

Its just clunky and defeat the point of moving IRL in VR, hence why inside out tracking is the solution. I have barely any tracking issues on rift s and its inside out tracking

spawn

It really is dated and so are the Move controllers. I would really like some innovation made with PSVR2. I want them to make a way so that it tracks my fingers. Also, when I spin around I want the camera to be able to still track me so that if an enemy is behind me I can shoot it from behind. Last thing is obviously better graphics. I'm hoping for a 2021 or 2022 release date

Last edited:
Insideout tracking is propably a no brainer for cosole. No more cumbersome camera and stuff like it. Easier setup as well and less cables.
I hope they push finger tracking and haptic feedback tho. The dream would be some eye tracking on the headset for Foveated reendering. Whatever innovation that they get to push on console VR this gen, might push the standard up.
There are eye tracking headsets, and Nvidia supports foveated rendering for quite some time now. PC has already pushed the standard and innovations. The rest of the industry has to catch up now.

Pallas

Gold Member
Weren’t there old rumors about PSVR2 being built into the console? I’m pretty skeptical of that rumor but I remember hearing about it a while back before any console or spec reveals.

My kid really wants PSVR, I'm having a hard job stalling him... cause I want to hold off for this PSVR2.

So many awesome games that I want to try...

I’d consider getting it if the PS5 is going to be compatible with, but that in itself is currently an unknown right? I’ve heard it will be multiple times but never nothing official.

Bryank75

Banned
Weren’t there old rumors about PSVR2 being built into the console? I’m pretty skeptical of that rumor but I remember hearing about it a while back before any console or spec reveals.

I’d consider getting it if the PS5 is going to be compatible with, but that in itself is currently an unknown right? I’ve heard it will be multiple times but never nothing official.
Yeah, no news yet!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
maybe the tracking of the wands and controllers is dated
but the actual vr lenses and screen are amazing,

way way waaay better then my rift

Psykodad

Banned
If you turn around in psvr the controllers are no longer picked up by the camera

Even on the aim controller, the ball still has to be tracked. So you're forced to only stand facing the camera. U can face any direction on rift s, inside out tracking, its freedom of movement. I use a pulley system as well, so its basically wire,ess within my room
Why would you physically turn around when you can use the controllers for that?

I personally wouldn't want to play a couple or hours of Firewall standing and physically turning all the time.

Last edited:

INC

maybe the tracking of the wands and controllers is dated
but the actual vr lenses and screen are amazing,

way way waaay better then my rift

Its blurry mess, screen door is horrific, resolution is potato. On some games it can work fine, like beat sabre, astrobot, dick wild. The best it has to offer is firewall, blood and truth, and even then sure is ok look, but anything in the distance is so pixelled u can barely see anything.

Dont get me wrong for the price it's a great entry headset, but after buying a rift s, the difference is night and day

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Its blurry mess, screen door is horrific, resolution is potato. On some games it can work fine, like beat sabre, astrobot, dick wild. The best it has to offer is firewall, blood and truth, and even then sure is ok look, but anything in the distance is so pixelled u can barely see anything.

Dont get me wrong for the price it's a great entry headset, but after buying a rift s, the difference is night and day
the rift S is not as ergonomical as the psvr and the screen is not oled.
the tracking is obv better,.

but if you want to blame the psvr blame the actual console not the glasses,
if sony supports the psvr i think you will be amazed how good the quality can get

INC

Why would you physically turn around when you can use the controllers for that?

I personally wouldn't want to play a couple or hours of Firewall standing and physically turning all the time.

Because spinning IRL is far easier than worrying about deadzones and acceleration and sensitivity, when u can instantly spin yourself, instinct and reactions are no longer an analogue movement it's a you doing it. learning to move IRL and approach corners using your body movement will make out playing people a lot easier. I barely use the stick to move anymore, unless recentring on a corner.

Theres a reason apps like turn signal exist, its because to get the most out of VR you have to be physically moving around, thinking of VR like a traditional 2d shooter will only get you so far in fps in VR (imo)

Last edited:

INC

the rift S is not as ergonomical as the psvr and the screen is not oled.
the tracking is obv better,.

but if you want to blame the psvr blame the actual console not the glasses,
if sony supports the psvr i think you will be amazed how good the quality can get

That's probably true, but maybe a ps5 could boost all that, but as it stands now! it's a blurry mess (whether due to the headset or console)

Psykodad

Banned
Because spinning IRL is far easier than worrying about deadzones and acceleration and sensitivity, when u can instantly spin yourself, instinct and reactions are no longer an analogue movement it's a you doing it. learning to move IRL and approach corners using your body movement will make out playing people a lot easier. I barely use the stick to move anymore, unless recentring on a corner.

Theres a reason apps like turn signal exist, its because to get the most out of VR you have to be physically moving around, thinking of VR like a traditional 2d shooter will only get you so far in fps in VR (imo)
I can see the appeal of physically turning, but after playing Firewall with an Aim controller, I don't think a player is as limited or slow in movement as you make it seem right now.

Combining stick movement with physical rotation you can still have fast reaction speeds when you want to turn around.

I'd imagine having to stand and physically turn all the time would cause fatigue way faster.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I bought this and it was a disappointment. The resolution and screen quality was just so godawful that I couldn't enjoy Skyrim even a little.

Psykodad

Banned

Aren't the visuals in large part a result of the limited capabilities of the PS4 moreso than the PSVR quality?
I'd imagine we'll get far more realistic and clean visuals with more graphical fidelity once PS5 drops.

Last edited:

INC

I can see the appeal of physically turning, but after playing Firewall with an Aim controller, I don't think a player is as limited or slow in movement as you make it seem right now.

Combining stick movement with physical rotation you can still have fast reaction speeds when you want to turn around.

Well not like you can try because as soon as you turn around you lose tracking lol, so you literally have no choice but to play like that.
I was the same, didnt see how it can improve anything, when u have a stick, but it does

I played alot of firewall, and was decent, just like playing paintball (which I play alot in spare time), but going from firewall to any other fps on pc (pavlov, onward, wardust etc) being able to freely move has improved my vr gaming 10 fold.

Again this is all opinion, but I dont play anything but vr nowadays, and honestly I just couldnt go back to limited movement on a psvr

Psykodad

Banned
Well not like you can try because as soon as you turn around you lose tracking lol, so you literally have no choice but to play like that.
I was the same, didnt see how it can improve anything, when u have a stick, but it does

I played alot of firewall, and was decent, just like playing paintball (which I play alot in spare time), but going from firewall to any other fps on pc (pavlov, onward, wardust etc) being able to freely move has improved my vr gaming 10 fold.

Again this is all opinion, but I dont play anything but vr nowadays, and honestly I just couldnt go back to limited movement on a psvr
Fair enough, I'm not disagreeing with you. And I can imagine the benefits of being able to physically turn 360 degrees.
Just wondering if it wouldn't be pretty exhausting when playing for extended periods of time, and then there is the local space requirement as well.

Neff

I'd just like them to make one that isn't physically painful to wear.

There is no fucking reason for walled garden VR headsets. It's hurting an already niche market, because few people will buy more than one headset. There is no reason why there shouldn't be a headset that works on PC, Xbox, PS5, Mac. It's just some displays with USB/WLAN.

This. Also, the only major VR games are platform exclusives.

INC

Fair enough, I'm not disagreeing with you. And I can imagine the benefits of being able to physically turn 360 degrees.
Just wondering if it wouldn't be pretty exhausting when playing for extended periods of time, and then there is the local space requirement as well.

I did alyx in 2 sitting (standings lol), u get use to it, I only have a 6x6 space, I use a mat in the centre, so my feet can always feel centre of the room, and turn signal to see how much spin is on my cables/pulleys

Top Bottom