• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Hardware Is Dated and Sony Knows It Needs to Be Updated, Says nDreams CEO

There are eye tracking headsets, and Nvidia supports foveated rendering for quite some time now. PC has already pushed the standard and innovations. The rest of the industry has to catch up now.
This isn't proper eye tracking(you can have foveated rendering already with psvr). We will see it in one-two years from now. They are not pushing something. Just testing.
The real next step will be when games are optimized for it.

Last edited:
What is proper foveated rendering then, according to you?

also, sony is doing eye tracking before 2013. It's not something new.

I have edited my previous post. We talking about eye tracking actually. This is the important element.

Last edited:

also, sony is doing eye tracking before 2013. It's not something new.

I have edited my previous post. We talking about eye tracking actually. This is the important element.

Many have done eye tracking before Sony or x,y,z person. But not many have implemented it into vr headsets. The ones that use eye tracking, can support foveated rendering, based on eye location. PSVR does not have either of those, and probably won't for the second iteration either.

Many have done eye tracking before Sony or x,y,z person. But not many have implemented it into vr headsets. The ones that use eye tracking, can support foveated rendering, based on eye location. PSVR does not have either of those, and probably won't for the second iteration either.
PSVR does not have eye-tracking but it can have foveated optimizations (for example batman in base ps4 in order to run well). what I am saying is that the real challenge is proper eye tracking. I don't know who started first. The oldest info I have for eye-tracking(regarding gaming) is from Sony.
We have actually to wait to see how it works. It is huge.

PSVR does not have eye-tracking but it can have foveated optimizations (for example batman in base ps4 in order to run well). what I am saying is that the real challenge is proper eye tracking. I don't know who started first. The oldest info I have for eye-tracking(regarding gaming) is from Sony.
We have actually to wait to see how it works. It is huge.
But that's not true foveated tracking.... You quoted me saying saying that exactly. But there are headsets with eye tracking, on pc currently, that support true foveated rendering. And Intel and Tobii have been doing eye tracking long before Sony even started to look into it. Check out CES prior to 2013. As matter a fact, I have been using Tobii hardware and software for several years now, and it works great.

But that's not true foveated tracking.... You quoted me saying saying that exactly. But there are headsets with eye tracking, on pc currently, that support true foveated rendering. And Intel and Tobii have been doing eye tracking long before Sony even started to look into it. Check out CES prior to 2013. As matter a fact, I have been using Tobii hardware and software for several years now, and it works great.
I never said it's foveated tracking. Foveated rendering and eye tracking have to work together in order to have foveated tracking.
I have already answered to the rest. 2021-23.

Last edited:
I never said it's foveated tracking. Foveated rendering and eye tracking have to work together in order to have foveated tracking.
I have already answered to the rest. 2021-23.
And my response is, those headsets already exist on pc. It might come to console, but I doubt it, as it will be pricey.

INC

Vive Pro Eye has foveated tracking. Eye tracing + foveated rendering based on position of users eyes. It's been out a year already. This stuff isn't exactly new or unobtainable, just foreign to those who don't game on pc.

Oh wow, decent, is the FR per app/game? Or is it software built into the headset

Business

Like what? Your hands and tracking disappear completely making fps games on psvr pretty much pointless unless u have an aim controller, because that has a analogue stick, but spinning in real life is far easier to aim and be more precise, than spinning a stick.

Its just clunky and defeat the point of moving IRL in VR, hence why inside out tracking is the solution. I have barely any tracking issues on rift s and its inside out tracking

The best performing solution is that of Vive/Index with the lighthouses. It has other issues like less flexibility if you need to move your VR setup often, but for tracking/occlusion, I'll take it any day.

PSVR was never a cutting edge and I think Sony did a commendable job at releasing an affordable VR solution. The weakest like were always the controllers recycled from PS3 and relying on a camera for tracking. I think they will go with an Oculus like solution for PSVR2 as a lighthouse system would be too expensive.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm willing to pay a premium price for an amazing PSVR2 experience.
Hopefully it doesn't come out till late 2021 and will have the screen quality nearly equal to that of playing in 4K.

INC

The best performing solution is that of Vive/Index with the lighthouses. It has other issues like less flexibility if you need to move your VR setup often, but for tracking/occlusion, I'll take it any day.

PSVR was never a cutting edge and I think Sony did a commendable job at releasing an affordable VR solution. The weakest like were always the controllers recycled from PS3 and relying on a camera for tracking. I think they will go with an Oculus like solution for PSVR2 as a lighthouse system would be too expensive.

Of course, but they're nearly double the price of rift s. And I'd rather have inside out tracking and no extra cameras/lighthouses, just not convenient or practical.

No doubt, psvr was my first taste of vr, and I enjoyed it for what it was, I still think firewall is one of the better fps on any vr platform, shame itll never come to pc.

chaseroni

Its blurry mess, screen door is horrific, resolution is potato. On some games it can work fine, like beat sabre, astrobot, dick wild. The best it has to offer is firewall, blood and truth, and even then sure is ok look, but anything in the distance is so pixelled u can barely see anything.

Dont get me wrong for the price it's a great entry headset, but after buying a rift s, the difference is night and day

No way man..I have PSVR and Rift and the SDE is soooo much worse on the Rift. PSVR headset itself is a fine piece of tech tbh. Accounting + on there is 120hz and is one of the cleanest VR experiences I've ever had

INC

No way man..I have PSVR and Rift and the SDE is soooo much worse on the Rift. PSVR headset itself is a fine piece of tech tbh. Accounting + on there is 120hz and is one of the cleanest VR experiences I've ever had

Rift or rift s?

All I see on psvr is pixels and shimmering, not an issue on rift s and 200% supersampling

alienator

Graphics and move controller clunkyness has not stopped me from having some of the best all-round vr experiences. i mean... REZ in vr. how could someone not enjoy that =) I might aswell say that for me psVR was the best addon for this generation of consoles for me and has given me experiences and games in vr no other platform (excluding pc) could give me. Even with all its limitations,

I absulutely loved it. Not te forget the nice by-product of playing ps4 games on a fucking cinema sized screen (Darius Burst is the game to play on it :D )

Its not always about the graphics and terraflops Its stuff like Astrobot on psvr thats so friggin fun to play. Its basically Nintendo's biggest and best game but made by Sony ;) Even with only a normal controller and no supercool hitech indexfingerthingiescontrollers.
And if Japan studios makes Astrobot 2 for ps5 ...So yeah out of the box ps5 psvr support and a psVR2 later down the road..

Im sure pc users are sorta experiencing the same with supercool stuff like the new Half life, only to be met with people who yell vr sucks and is dead.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
the problem I have with vr at the moment is its more like experiences rather than games. yeah there a few decent games for it but its mostly all bolt ons from existing games. I love the GTS vr experience but it could of been well expanded, the same with ace combat. that should of been game seller alone but it was only 3 missions

INC

the problem I have with vr at the moment is its more like experiences rather than games. yeah there a few decent games for it but its mostly all bolt ons from existing games. I love the GTS vr experience but it could of been well expanded, the same with ace combat. that should of been game seller alone but it was only 3 missions

Alyx, saints and sinners, moss, asgards wrath, lone echo etc etc, for mp you have pavlov and stuff like wardust that I play for hours, more than any 2d game now

Then sims like assetta corsa, project cars, flight aims etc

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
maybe the tracking of the wands and controllers is dated
but the actual vr lenses and screen are amazing,

way way waaay better then my rift

The headset is super comfortable IMO too.

The wires though....

Romulus

I have a Rift S and a PSVR. Obviously the Rift S is superior in almost every way. I think comfort-wise, the PSVR is slightly ahead.

I will say PSVR 120hz vs 80z is an indisputable advantage come next gen. The PS5 is confirmed to work with the current PSVR and even now there were a few games running 120hz on Pro. I expect more of that considering the low resolution ceiling of PSVR1.
But games like Wipeout showed me the PSVR lenses are actually quite good, its more the ps4's fault. It'll be interesting to see how supersampling at 175%+ does for clarity with PS5.

In terms of tracking, I have the PSVR setup in such a way that its really good, not perfect of course, but it's rare now that I have issues after startup. Obviously inferior to Rift S.

The biggest advantage for me is software on PC. You absolutely just don't have the library and its a game-changer, not to mention the hardware advantages. Sony will undoubtedly have must have games for next gen VR, but for now I'm having a blast with PCVR.

Vitter.

The most outdated part is controllers, they could improve the life of it by just adding new controllers. Obviously, I expect inside out tracking when the new hardware is announced and the camera no more.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The headset is super comfortable IMO too.

The wires though....
right now you want wires
wireless is always less
and gfx power = too heavy

ofc i want a 2080ti power oculus quest vr headset
but right now that aint happening

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Does anybody know what causes motion sickness when you use VR?

Is this something that can be addressed in future VR headsets. I can't play Sea of Thieves without getting sick. I want to try VR, but I fear the motion sickness would be amplified.

INC

Is this something that can be addressed in future VR headsets. I can't play Sea of Thieves without getting sick. I want to try VR, but I fear the motion sickness would be amplified.

Almost everyone gets motion sickness to start with, just do little amounts if tine to start with, like 10min sessions, until u get your sea legs.

After a few weeks you can play for hours, it also deoends5on the game, full locomotion games (fps) tend to be the more sick inducing

And a stable frame rate is everything, 80fps (80hz) at least, the more frame stutter you get will make u lose you lunch very quickly

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Almost everyone gets motion sickness to start with, just do little amounts if tine to start with, like 10min sessions, until u get your sea legs.

After a few weeks you can play for hours, it also deoends5on the game, full locomotion games (fps) tend to be the more sick inducing

And a stable frame rate is everything, 80fps (80hz) at least, the more frame stutter you get will make u lose you lunch very quickly
80fps seems like an odd framerate. I wonder what PSVR2 will have. I really want to try Half Life Alyx. It actually looks AAA. I know it's not available on PSVR (yet) but those are the kinds of games I'd like to play. Maybe I should grab an Oculus Quest or something in the meantime.

INC

80fps seems like an odd framerate. I wonder what PSVR2 will have. I really want to try Half Life Alyx. It actually looks AAA. I know it's not available on PSVR (yet) but those are the kinds of games I'd like to play. Maybe I should grab an Oculus Quest or something in the meantime.

80fps because the rift s is 80hz, why I say that

Keihart

Vive Pro Eye has foveated tracking. Eye tracing + foveated rendering based on position of users eyes. It's been out a year already. This stuff isn't exactly new or unobtainable, just foreign to those who don't game on pc.
You are lying to yourself, foveated reendering and eye tracking are not common in any VR platform yet.
Just like hapctic feedback or threadmills, etc.
It exists, yes. Has it been pushed to the consumer and is it the new baseline? not at all.

I think you kinda miss the point on why it's exciting if PSVR adopts this. The console install base give games a simpler set of specs to target, it's the same concept of why VR developers had to come to an agreement on what would be the target specs for VR games this gen.

Keihart

It's the disconnect between actual movement and in game movement.
That being said, i've played some pretty fast VR games and never had motion sickness, for me it only happens when frames drop bellow the threshold of the time interpolation solution in place.

The only real solution for moving motion sickness it's to adopt threadmills and the like to fool the body into think that we are acutally moving, but it seems to be harder than it looks. There are several prototype solutions but none of them it's completly working.

This one it's promising, but fighting the inertia seems to be hard, but the idea of predicting where you are going to move looks promising.

You are lying to yourself, foveated reendering and eye tracking are not common in any VR platform yet.
Just like hapctic feedback or threadmills, etc.
It exists, yes. Has it been pushed to the consumer and is it the new baseline? not at all.

I think you kinda miss the point on why it's exciting if PSVR adopts this. The console install base give games a simpler set of specs to target, it's the same concept of why VR developers had to come to an agreement on what would be the target specs for VR games this gen.
So you discredit me, with no data to back up your statements... then turns around and whip out the hypothetical, "what *if* PSVR adopts this".

I never said it was a common thing in current VR headsets. I only said it exists in a couple of HMD's. My Valve Index was over 1k and doesn't have that, so good luck if you think you will be getting something even close to that, for under half the price.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Going back to the OP, I think Sony knew the PSVR wasn’t “top tier” when they decided to use their Move controllers for the input devices. Sony wanted an affordable VR solution it could sell, and they got exactly that - I’m terms of consumer VR, they’re biggest game in town. Of course, that’s not to discount what Sony brought to the table. Their frame interpolation stuff was an inspired solution to get a smooth 120hz image, and the customer pixel arrangement of their screen drastically decreases the dreaded SDE. It might not be the most powerful set in town, but it punches several classes above its weight.

PSVR2 needs to focus on the two main reported issues from PSVR: image clarity and tracking. Solve those two in a cost affordable way, and we’re one big step closer to mainstream VR. There are still lots of issues to solve - locomotion, eye tracking, rendering optimisations - but VR is moving forward in big ways, and Sony are really at the forefront of it. Keen as always to see what they put out.

Romulus

Of course, that’s not to discount what Sony brought to the table. Their frame interpolation stuff was an inspired solution to get a smooth 120hz image, and the customer pixel arrangement of their screen drastically decreases the dreaded SDE. It might not be the most powerful set in town, but it punches several classes above its weight.

That's what I take away from my experience. The comfort, lenses, and 120hz capability is all pretty top-notch for its release window. It comes off as budget, but it has some advantages over top tier headsets, even now. I think seeing this work with ps5 will be very interesting.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I’m just shocked that at this point, Sony hasn’t released new controllers to hold people over.

However, there are a few things that they need to blow it out of the water in a PSVR2:

Inside-out tracking
120 Hz
1440p per eye
~130-140 FOV
Weight of around 500 grams or less
Eye tracking for foveated rendering
Ability to add a wireless adapter in the future

I love the PSVR, I was just playing Firewall, but it’s getting long in the tooth.

Take a pick, you are contradicting yourself.
How do they contradict themselves again?

It's not exactly new, as there are a couple of options to pick from a year ago. That is true.

They are obtainable, which is also true. You can purchase them with money.

Just because something exists, doesn't mean it has to be common or a standard.

Electric vehicles are relatively new, and obtainable, for the past few years. But not every vehicle on the road is an EV. Do you need me to further break that down for you any more?

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

There’s a number of factors: low and unstable frame rates, low refresh rate and speed of movement.

Of course you could still get motionsickness at 120fps and 240hz, but it will dissipate once you get your VR legs.

Start by playing 10 minutes at a time and build from there, make sure your room is cooler than usual. Ginger also helps some people.

MayauMiao

Tried PSVR, and while a nice hardware, the horrible low resolution is just a big turn off. Couldn't play Skyrim looking that jaggy. Also they should make the lens easily replace as my brother's unit get scratch no thanks to his nephew's glasses.

Nickolaidas

The reason my PSVR helmet is gathering dust in my closet is threefold:

1) Awful resolution (fucking thing runs on 480p or something) and preventing my console from displaying 4K even when I'm not using it (this cannot be due to the cables since I'm using the cables coming with the box of the damn thing)
2) Too many cables, makes my entire room look as if I'm a sound engineer or something, plus it makes me nervous I'm going to wrap the cable around myself and makes me hesitant to move or walk around while wearing it
3) Nausea

If PSVR2 eliminates 1&2, I'm willing to give it another go, probably when it gets a little cheaper.

But I definitely need it to go wireless, and display 1080p with super sampling at least.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

I’m just shocked that at this point, Sony hasn’t released new controllers to hold people over.

I believe Sony doesn't want to fragment the userbase even more by making us buy another accesory.

Having to support yet another control scheme would just complicate things for devs even more, and old games would have to get patches to support them, which many probably won't at this point.

Hopefully their new VR controllers for PS5 can be used with both the old and next-gen headsets... but if they're ditching the light balls for tracking (and I hope they do), I don't see how they could work with the old model.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I use and enjoy PSVR. Its still good for games like Wipeout and beat saber but I agree it needs updated.

I know they are working on it from the patents ive seen for new controllers.

Ill be buying PSVR2 day 1.

Ok. Calling bullshit. Not many people get motion sick. For proof, go into the free VRchat on Steam and ask the kids and dudes who's motion sick. 1000's of people having a good time. No sickness. I have no idea what brings these people out to attack VR. It's weeeeird.

Last edited:

INC

Ok. Calling bullshit. Not amny people get motion sick. For proof, go into the free VRchat on Steam and ask the kids and dudes who's motion sick. 1000's of people having a good time. No sickness. I have no idea what brings these people out to attack VR. It's weeeeird.

I'm not attacking it? read any of my comments on VR and I state I only play VR nowadays, barely any 2d game.

I'm talking from my own experience and people around me that have experienced the same thing, I will add this was on the psvr, first game I tried was super hot, not too bad because you're standing still.
Astrobot, again nothing major
Wipeout, after about 10mins, started to feel slightly off, rested for 30mins before playing again

The worst game was firewall, the full locomotion was just too much to handle at first, my brain just fought against the session of standing still but moving vr since the illusion was convincing (and all my friends who played too) all did about 10mins before getting motion sickness. But after a week or so no real issues

When I upgraded to rift s, I've had 0 motion sickness at all, can spin around, play for hours none stop and have 0 motion sickness

But feel free to call bullshit I guess, I did say 'almost everyone's and from all the people who I know and have tried my psvr and rift for the first time, all got some form of motion sickness at first (game depending)

Last edited:
Top Bottom