• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5's SSD is "far ahead" of those found in high-end PCs, according to Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney

sinnergy

Interesting, but let me ask you one question, if MS can remove these bottlenecks just with software optimizations, then why sony build hardware for that🤔? Cerny dont know what he is doing?
MS is a software company from nature. That’s why their BC is different and the consoles are virtualized like in their server business.

geordiemp

true.

But there could also be comparisons such as we stream 10GB/s of geometry, here's a comparison of how it would look with just 5GB/s.

Or Ps5 can stream 2K / 4K assets at 60 FPS and do CB 4K60, I can see Sony first party using their own Voxel / GI solutions in their engines to similar effects. Especially Decima.

That UE5 demo can run at 60 FPS, see below.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
true.

But there could also be comparisons such as we stream 10GB/s of geometry, here's a comparison of how it would look with just 5GB/s.

haven't Microsoft said because of the way they are compressing data they have over 100gb available instantly?

I mean again could be PR talk but it was said before the Cerny press conference.

haven't Microsoft said because of the way they are compressing data they have over 100gb available instantly?

I mean again could be PR talk but it was said before the Cerny press conference.
it was not due to compression. Compression gives 4.8GB/s on series X. What they likely mean is that you can access any portion of that 100GB instantly without having to do seek times like on a hard drive.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
it was not due to compression. Compression gives 4.8GB/s on series X. What they likely mean is that you can access any portion of that 100GB instantly without having to do seek times like on a hard drive.
Looks like you maybe right but 4.8gb isn't as much of a divide to the 6gb people are making out. yes its a divide and yes Sony will have compression to but the Series will have more CU to decompress quicker. its all in the air till we see games running on both systems.

"Enter Xbox Velocity Architecture, which features tight integration between hardware and software and is a revolutionary new architecture optimized for streaming of in game assets. This will unlock new capabilities that have never been seen before in console development, allowing 100 GB of game assets to be instantly accessible by the developer. The components of the Xbox Velocity Architecture all combine to create an effective multiplier on physical memory that is, quite literally, a game changer."

Will a faster SSD make up for less TF? I have no idea

Will more TF be better than a faster SSD? I have no idea

my guess is later in the gen is where we will start to notice the difference with the extra TF starting to come into play. that's a guess though

Shmunter

Looks like you maybe right but 4.8gb isn't as much of a divide to the 6gb people are making out. yes its a divide and yes Sony will have compression to but the Series will have more CU to decompress quicker. its all in the air till we see games running on both systems.

"Enter Xbox Velocity Architecture, which features tight integration between hardware and software and is a revolutionary new architecture optimized for streaming of in game assets. This will unlock new capabilities that have never been seen before in console development, allowing 100 GB of game assets to be instantly accessible by the developer. The components of the Xbox Velocity Architecture all combine to create an effective multiplier on physical memory that is, quite literally, a game changer."

Will a faster SSD make up for less TF? I have no idea

Will more TF be better than a faster SSD? I have no idea

my guess is later in the gen is where we will start to notice the difference with the extra TF starting to come into play. that's a guess though
Comparing TF to the SSD is like comparing Fuel to an Engine. Completely different, yet come together to power the machine. You want the right fuel, deliver plenty of it, to the right engine for maximum machine efficiency.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Comparing TF to the SSD is like comparing Fuel to an Engine. Completely different, yet come together to power the machine. You want the right fuel, deliver plenty of it, to the right engine for maximum machine efficiency.

but you need a very powerful engine to get the best from the fuel

Exodia

Banned
Interesting, but let me ask you one question, if MS can remove these bottlenecks just with software optimizations, then why sony build hardware for that🤔? Cerny dont know what he is doing?

There are always two ways of doing anything. Take for example Backwards compatibility. You can implement it as Hardware or through software as Microsoft has done.

RayHell

Pretty sneaky putting HDD in there. As if that's what high-end PCs are using.

Anyway how fast are PC SSDs in RAID configuration these days?
The problem isn't PC SSD speed, those can already surpass PS5 with costly setup. The real problem is the road taken by data. It's like taking a Ferrari on an off-road trail. While PS5 architecture is a racetrack.

Last edited:

Exodia

Banned
Well or do you believe in what Tim said or not.
You have no proof that Tim/Epic said is not true... so I will stay with what they said the level of detail scale with the storage bandwidth available.
And that is highlighted with the demo running on PS5.

“[The PS5] puts a vast amount of flash memory very, very close to the processor,” says Sweeney. “So much that it really fundamentally changes the trade-offs that games can make and stream in. And that’s absolutely critical to this kind of demo”.

It is weird to dismiss something that Epic keep saying is critical for that demo... needs a lot of mental gymnastics for that.

Critical for the demo doesn't mean it doesn't run on XSX with the same fidelity. Remember this is a ridiculous tiny vertical slice. 0.01% the size of GTA V or RDR 2 to put things in perspective.

Yep. If that demo was heavily optimized to run on PS5 in the 9-22GB/s range you could assume it would look noticeably cut down on a regular SSD. Would it make sense for Epic to do that on their first showing? Probably.

This is not true. first of all stop using that 22 GB/s number. Its nonesense. its theoretical. Its constant/sustained speed that matters.
Second of all when you look at the actual demo. It consist of a small number of assets and textures.
In contrast a real game would have over 10,000 unqiue 3d models and 10,000 unique textures.

Lets review because people make the statement that the flying scene is only possible on the PS5 or that you need to reduce complexity to run on the XSX.
  1. Everything was already loaded as she walked through the doorway tunnel and stood over the horizon
  2. Her speed/velocity of flying is slower than even current gen spider man and open world racing games like forza horizon 4
  3. The distance/length that was to be rendered, that she flew across is ridiculously tiny.
  4. There are less than 80 unique assets
  5. There are less than 80 unique textures
  6. They are using virtual texturing which makes streaming even easier as it reduces texture memory overhead
  7. There is no individual normal maps and some other textures so there's another reduction in overhead for texture streaming.
  8. What the Nanite does is compress. Its always rendering only 80 million tri from the x billions
  9. DF says that Epic told them it scales HARD with GPU
You have to be insane to think a tiny tiny vertical slice with very little unqiue assets, same assets just repeated all over the place, a bunch of instance meshes, very little unique textures so there's no need to even swap for the right one (this isn't a real game with like 10,000) is only possible on PS5.

PS5 does 5.5Gb/s uncompressed and 8-9Gb/s compressed Transfer.

PCs may be able to get to 5.5gb/s this year and then still have the circuitous path to the GPU to trundle through making them less efficient than PS5.

PCs won’t get 8-9Gb/s compressed data for several years because that will need a PCIE standard revision or a CPU manufacturer to include hardware decompression which is unlikely.

Wait till DirectStorage API drop later this year and devs have direct access to the controllers. It won't eliminate all bottlenecks on PC. But it will remove alot of it. Allowing PC to easily bruteforce the rest.

Epic says that Nanite is will automatically generate “as much geometric detail as the eye can see,” without need the GPU to render them itself... they said “allow developers to diversify that geometry endlessly based on any source asset.”

But what defines the performance is how fast you can feed the data to generate these triangles... not the GPU power.
They said their solutions can generate billions of triangles since there is enough data being feed.
This tech is made to free up GPU resources for others tasks.

Faster streaming data = more triangles being generated.

That is what Epic said and explained.

no Epic told DF that Nanite scales HARD with GPU.

Last edited:

Exodia

Banned
We don't know if XSX will run that demo at the same level of detail yet.

If Epic is maxing out the SSD throughput on the PS5 in that demo, then the answer is most likely no - it won't be able to. Next question is, if the level of detail that is streaming in is lower on XSX, then how much lower is it and will anyone be able to notice without zooming in.

It's safe to assume that it at least will be able to run it at a higher resolution because of more CUs at its disposal. It will be able to push more pixels and calculate more light bounces or same amount of bounces faster per clock than the PS5. But it won't run it at 4K/60 like some people here think - that's just ridiculous as XSXs GPU is not 100%+ stronger than the PS5 GPU.

Xbox gamers should lower their expectations a bit, especially regarding RT. Minecraft runs at 1080p/30 on XSX. If Minecraft had a more dynamic world with dense and animated trees, foliage, tons of animated NPCs, vehicles etc, then I think the performance would tank at 1080p with its pathtracing RT turned on. Also as shown in Minecraft RTX videos, it takes time for light bounces to update, there is a clear lag when a brick is destroyed to let light in to a dark room, that is pretty jarring.

Either way, each console has its strengths and weaknesses and we will have to wait until games start releasing for them before we will get a good grasp of what they are. My feeling is differences will be minor in the end.

The tech shows by Epic added triangles/details to the screen without the need of GPU rasterization.
It direct stream the data from the storage and though software rasterization (CPU?) added them to the render output.

So the demo was not about resolution but level of detail in the screen.
Being 1080p, 1440p, or 4k won’t change direct the level of detail being added by that tech... actually the tech is not related with the resolution or the render.

Due the speed of the streaming from storage you could end having less detail even at higher resolution or in the case of PS5 the max level of detail actually allowed by the storage tech with average resolution of 1440p.

Xbox and PC can render a higher resolution but with less details due the limitation of SSD actual speeds.

As I said above this is simply not true and what i listed is facts. Not only did Epic say it scales HARD with GPU but the little amount unique assets and unique textures (1-2 MB each) means you are not swapping textures to get to the right one like you would in a real game with 10,000 unique texture. They are even using virtual texturing which makes streaming even easier as it reduces texture memory overhead dramatically. Its night and day.

To the people claiming you have to reduce the texture size to run on XSX.

A scene with about 80 unique textures give or take using virtual texturing which reduces texture memory overhead dramatically can't run on the XSX? That's absolute ridiculous.

Do people even realize that the Kite Demo from UE4 years ago had 8k textures? This ISN'T new!

EntireSkinnyCamel.gif

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
The question isn't whether it runs on the XSX or the PC.

The question is:

a) What kind of configuration you need on PC to achieve the same results
b) Can the XSX achieve the same results

Not similar, same.

And if the XSX can achieve even better results, because apparently it has the magic number for I/O and by default it has more compute, please explain why the head of one of gaming's biggest company and historic videogame programmer who created what has since become the biggest middleware engine in the world, is spending his time praising the PS5. If you say it's marketing, if you say Sony paid, I wanna see the receipts and I want you to explain why this debuted at Summer game fest with no Playstation logo or Playstation people in sight, and not say during Road to Ps5, or at a State of Play, etc.

Conspiracy theories not allowed.

Exodia

Banned
The question isn't whether it runs on the XSX or the PC.

The question is:

a) What kind of configuration you need on PC to achieve the same results
b) Can the XSX achieve the same results

Not similar, same.

And if the XSX can achieve even better results, because apparently it has the magic number for I/O and by default it has more compute, please explain why the head of one of gaming's biggest company and historic videogame programmer who created what has since become the biggest middleware engine in the world, is spending his time praising the PS5. If you say it's marketing, if you say Sony paid, I wanna see the receipts and I want you to explain why this debuted at Summer game fest with no Playstation logo or Playstation people in sight, and not say during Road to Ps5, or at a State of Play, etc.

Conspiracy theories not allowed.

According to a Epic engineer A Laptop with 2080 and 970 Evo Plus runs it with same quality but better performance.

ethomaz

Banned
"Epic also appreciated the benefits of the PS5's SSD, noting that such graphics cannot be achieved using a hard drive or even a SATA SSD as they do not have enough speed to load the high resolution textures as they are needed.If we want to use those textures on PC, we will need if or if a high speed NVME SSD. "

It can’t like the level detail showed in the demo.
With SATA you can have way lower level of details (triangles generated).
Epic talked about that.
Even mobiles with slower storage speeds can run that tech but a way lower level of detail.

Last edited:
According to a Epic engineer A Laptop with 2080 and 970 Evo Plus runs it with same quality but better
The problem is the 2080 mobile has less performance than the 5700xt which has less performance than ps5.

40fps is 30% higher performance which is near 2080ti.

They said they were targetting 60fps. So that is likely the lower detail version that already reaches 60fps in ps5.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
According to a Epic engineer A Laptop with 2080 and 970 Evo Plus runs it with same quality but better performance.

Not according to a EPIC engineer, according to a forum poster who says he "called" the epic engineer and all the info the epic engineer could remember apparently was the 2080. So yeah, not gonna take that info for granted.

We really need a bit more context and for someone to actually translate from the video source.

Exodia

Banned
The problem is the 2080 mobile has less performance than the 5700xt which has less performance than ps5.

They said they were targetting 60fps. So that is likely the lower detail version that already reaches 60fps in ps5.

"At that quality"
You are purposely omitting that. They didn't reduce anything. Daniel Wright said at that same quality, not lower quality.

Deto

Banned
wow, they found a chinese forum with someone who says they talked to an EPIC engineer
The discord group was creative

could it be a youtube comment too?
source: my dad works at Sony, they went bankrupt

then they don't know why the xbox is this garbage.

concern of the xbox fan:

a) require AAA from MS

b) do playstation FUD

Last edited:

Exodia

Banned
I can’t read but in any part they said the same level of detail?

He specifically mentions the flying section. Why? Because that was what was going around everywhere that the flying section is only possible on the PS5 because of their SSD and he is cementing the point that its running at the same fidelity, same quality and using a normal SSD. That they didn't reduce the asserts to get it to run better. The whole point of what he is addressing is that you can run it at the same quality with a lower SSD and you didn't need a specific spec'ed SSD.

Remember this is unreal engine. They release all their demos with the same assets and textures. You can download any of their UE4 demos today. For example the Kite demo, all rock, boulder, cave asset had 8k textures. They didn't reduce the polgon/tri of the 3d models or the textures before they released the demo. Its the exact same asset. The exact same demo.

So no, Epic engineers ain't messing around with 4k textures or models with half the polygons or whatever. Remember the models are straight from Zbrush with no edits. (thats the entire point).

So from history there is no basis for a downgrade. What they demo is what engineers are running and have been running at home. Its also what they will release next year. And we will get to see all the 8k textures. We will see the 33 million polygon statue. WE will see that the demo contains hundreds of billions of tri and that its no different than what they said in the demo. We will be able to look at the detail stats tab and see that the Nanite is rendering 80 million tris. Then we will be able to compare how different SSDs perform.

I don't understand people who want to die on this hill. We will know in less than 12 months. My question is, will people come out and accept and state vehemently that they were wrong? As they stated vehemently that it can only run on PS5 SSD at same quality?

Exodia

Banned
wow, they found a chinese forum with someone who says they talked to an EPIC engineer
The discord group was creative

could it be a youtube comment too?
source: my dad works at Sony, they went bankrupt

then they don't know why the xbox is this garbage.

concern of the xbox fan:

a) require AAA from MS

b) do playstation FUD

Huh? That's an official Epic Game's Unreal Engine Live Broadcast?

Thirty7ven

Banned
"At that quality"
You are purposely omitting that. They didn't reduce anything. Daniel Wright said at that same quality, not lower quality.

He said they are working towards but it’s early days, right now can achieve 60 at lower quality.

Let’s not get creative quoting others, we got journos for that.

Huh? That's an official Epic Game's Unreal Engine Live Broadcast?

He doesn’t talk about 2080 or 970, that’s what a forum poster in a thread with 6 guys fanboy warring said. Says that he “called” the Epic dude, you really want to take that as a fact????

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
So why did Cerny decide to build ssd drive to move data as fast as possible yet you say it’s untrue and doesn’t increase fidelity.

Wish Cerny was in this thread .I would pay for that 😂

Because my definition of fidelity isn't the same as yours.

Moving more assets isn't fidelity by my definition. Fidelity to me is how well the rendering looks. Moving a shit ton of polygons on the screen is fine and all, but how those polygons look and are represented are another matter. It does no good to have that UE5 tech demo running at 720p for example. The fidelity of the presentation is that it uses the most bandwidth limiting features to present a quality visual. In this case, RTX lighting (not their solution), maximum AA, extremely complex and realistic materials (their water looked bad, for example), more realistic shadows (none of the bugs crawling on the ground cast shadows) and finally maximum resolution of 4k @ 60FPS.

Last edited:
I guess i'm confused on how that is possible if you are free to expand your storage using a Sony approved SSD. Does that mean that the expanded storage is slower or is this just marketing BS.

pyrocro

He specifically mentions the flying section. Why? Because that was what was going around everywhere that the flying section is only possible on the PS5 because of their SSD and he is cementing the point that its running at the same fidelity, same quality and using a normal SSD. That they didn't reduce the asserts to get it to run better. The whole point of what he is addressing is that you can run it at the same quality with a lower SSD and you didn't need a specific spec'ed SSD.

Remember this is unreal engine. They release all their demos with the same assets and textures. You can download any of their UE4 demos today. For example the Kite demo, all rock, boulder, cave asset had 8k textures. They didn't reduce the polgon/tri of the 3d models or the textures before they released the demo. Its the exact same asset. The exact same demo.

So no, Epic engineers ain't messing around with 4k textures or models with half the polygons or whatever. Remember the models are straight from Zbrush with no edits. (thats the entire point).

So from history there is no basis for a downgrade. What they demo is what engineers are running and have been running at home. Its also what they will release next year. And we will get to see all the 8k textures. We will see the 33 million polygon statue. WE will see that the demo contains hundreds of billions of tri and that its no different than what they said in the demo. We will be able to look at the detail stats tab and see that the Nanite is rendering 80 million tris. Then we will be able to compare how different SSDs perform.

I don't understand people who want to die on this hill. We will know in less than 12 months. My question is, will people come out and accept and state vehemently that they were wrong? As they stated vehemently that it can only run on PS5 SSD at same quality?
Don't hold your breath for a "I was wrong".
It can’t like the level detail showed in the demo.
With SATA you can have way lower level of details (triangles generated).
Epic talked about that.
Even mobiles with slower storage speeds can run that tech but a way lower level of detail.
Your still trying to sell this.
You still have not shown a source for your bold statement of "what defines the performance of Nanite".

Also thanks for finding this tweet proving you don't understand how the graphics pipeline works, as it goes against everything your saying in this thread.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Don't hold your breath for a "I was wrong".

Your still trying to sell this.
You still have not shown a source for your bold statement of "what defines the performance of Nanite".

Also thanks for finding this tweet proving you don't understand how the graphics pipeline works, as it goes against everything your saying in this thread.

This tweet just confirm what I said ;)
PS5 was choose due SSD perf over PC.

Last edited:

Exodia

Banned
He said they are working towards but it’s early days, right now can achieve 60 at lower quality.

Let’s not get creative quoting others, we got journos for that.

No he said they are working to get it to 60 FPS AT THAT QUALITY.
Not that the reason engineers are able to run it at 1440p and at 40 FPS is because its at lower quality.
This is the narrative you are trying to push

He doesn’t talk about 2080 or 970, that’s what a forum poster in a thread with 6 guys fanboy warring said. Says that he “called” the Epic dude, you really want to take that as a fact????

He is head of Epic Game's China https://m.weibo.cn/status/4504259301947058?

and its been confirmed by another independent person that speaks Chinese that he said on the live stream that the demos runs on a notebook at 1440p 40fps and that it can only run 30 FPS on consoles.

Thirty7ven

Banned
No he said they are working to get it to 60 FPS AT THAT QUALITY.
Not that the reason engineers are able to run it at 1440p and at 40 FPS is because its at lower quality.
This is the narrative you are trying to push

He is head of Epic Game's China https://m.weibo.cn/status/4504259301947058?

and its been confirmed by another independent person that speaks Chinese that he said on the live stream that the demos runs on a notebook at 1440p 40fps and that it can only run 30 FPS on consoles.

You need to work on your reading comprehension, and I'm not saying this as an insult. Right now it's not working at 60FPS, but that's the target. Right now they already have it at 60FPS, but at lower quality. It's right there in the tweet, read the damn tweet.

The head of Epic's game china said the demo was running on his notebook, in editor mode, and you didn't need PS5 specs to run the demo. He said SSD speed helps because Lumen and Nanite need good IO. I personally don't understand how Luminen needs good IO.

If you have a source for the 1440p at 40 Fps please give it to me. The only other source I've checked who also speaks chinese said that yes the demo was running on the notebook, in editor mode, but apparently no more specifics.

Specifics about the hardware are made up from a dude in the forum who "called" the head of Epic Game's China. Yeah.

Last edited:

Exodia

Banned
You need to work on your reading comprehension, and I'm not saying this as an insult. Right now it's not working at 60FPS, but that's the target. Right now they already have it at 60FPS, but at lower quality. It's right there in the tweet, read the damn tweet.

"he said they are working to get it to 60 FPS AT THAT QUALITY" = "Right now it's not working at 60FPS, but that's the target."

And am the one who needs to work on their reading comp?

pyrocro

This tweet just confirm what I said ;)
PS5 was choose due SSD perf over PC.
only because you don't see it.
SSD -> MEMORY -> GPU.

So what do you understand when they say Nanite are not using hardware rasterization but software rasterization instead for performance gain?
The GPU received the triangle already generated... that is the trick of the Nanite.

Like I said you clearly don't understand how it works.

WHERE is the source for your statement "what defines the performance of Nanite".

Thirty7ven

Banned
"he said they are working to get it to 60 FPS AT THAT QUALITY" = "Right now it's not working at 60FPS, but that's the target."

And am the one who needs to work on their reading comp?

Ok let's check the receipts over this page:

Wrong. Epic engineer didn't say that.

Here OSC speculates that if the hardware is not as performant as claimed numbers, then maybe he's talking about lower detailed version.

"At that quality"

Now you're talking about Daniel Wright, you're not talking about the head of Epic China. Here's the tweet.

60 FPS at same quality = target (future)
60 FPS at lesser quality = Achieved (Present)

And I asked you for a source on an independent source who confirmed 1440p at 40 FPS with same level of detail. You're not giving me a source. Just like you didn't have an independent source for 2080, 970 Evo.

My reading comprehension is just fine thank you.

Exodia

Banned
And I asked you for a source on an independent source who confirmed 1440p at 40 FPS with same level of detail. You're not giving me a source. Just like you didn't have an independent source for 2080, 970 Evo.

On the other forum. Idk if we are allowed to link it here.
But all you have to do is use the Google Translate app on 53:00
He talks about running it on his laptop in Editor mode (more resource heavy) at 40 fps.

Last edited:
So now with Software an actual PC and XSX reach the SSD performance of PS5.

I mean you know that argument is far to be valid when you know is Software so can be implement by
any competent company.

That's my question as well. Software doesn't magically solve these issues. You need hardware that's built to support those features.

I mean if Software solved everything we would still be using hardware from 20 years ago. There's actual physical limitations that limit what a system can do.

Exodia

Banned
Yes he does, he has the lumen scene running in editor mode on his laptop and he gets 40 FPS. He says that.

There are no "lumen scene". The entire demo from start to finish is using lumen and nanite.
This people's assumptions seeping into the translation which has been pointed out by another translator.

They are doing a watch-through and voice over commentary of the entire demo and that scene is just where they are at that point of the watch-through. Not that only that scene runs at 40fps.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Ok let's check the receipts over this page:

Wrong. Epic engineer didn't say that.

Here OSC speculates that if the hardware is not as performant as claimed numbers, then maybe he's talking about lower detailed version.

Now you're talking about Daniel Wright, you're not talking about the head of Epic China. Here's the tweet.

60 FPS at same quality = target (future)
60 FPS at lesser quality = Achieved (Present)

My reading comprehension is just fine thank you.

Thanks for share... I can’t watch or read in mandarin?

Seems like the reddit link is adding things the Epic guy didn’t say.

Top Bottom