• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5's SSD is "far ahead" of those found in high-end PCs, according to Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Sweeney says that Sony’s storage architecture is far ahead of “the best SSD solution you can buy on PC today. And so it’s really exciting to be seeing the console market push forward the high-end PC market in this way.”

“[The PS5] puts a vast amount of flash memory very, very close to the processor,” says Sweeney. “So much that it really fundamentally changes the trade-offs that games can make and stream in. And that’s absolutely critical to this kind of demo,” Sweeney explained.

“This is not just a whole lot of polygons and memory. It’s also a lot of polygons being loaded every frame as you walk around through the environment and this sort of detail you don’t see in the world would absolutely not be possible at any scale without these breakthroughs that Sony’s made.”

Thanks JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered

Edit:
"A number of different components are required to render this level of detail, right?" offers Sweeney. "One is the GPU performance and GPU architecture to draw an incredible amount of geometry that you're talking about - a very large number of teraflops being required for this. The other is the ability to load and stream it efficiently. One of the big efforts that's been done and is ongoing in Unreal Engine 5 now is optimising for next generation storage to make loading faster by multiples of current performance. Not just a little bit faster but a lot faster, so that you can bring in this geometry and display it, despite it not all fitting and memory, you know, taking advantage of next generation SSD architectures and everything else... Sony is pioneering here with the PlayStation 5 architecture. It's got a God-tier storage system which is pretty far ahead of PCs, [but on] a high-end PC with an SSD and especially with NVMe, you get awesome performance too."

Last edited:

dcll

Banned
p3vaRuZ.jpg

Kagero

Jesus Christ this did not need its own new thread outside of the Unreal Engine 5 reveal. This is such a silly console warrior thread from the starting gate....
This isn't so much about Unreal. It speaking specifically about the technical benefits of Sony's SSD. Something I was highly skeptical of. It's nice to hear exactly how this will benefit games. XSX also has a fast SSD so this is good.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Jesus Christ this did not need its own new thread outside of the Unreal Engine 5 reveal. This is such a silly console warrior thread from the starting gate....

It's sad when even mentioning a console's tech suddenly makes it a "silly console warrior" thread. OP didn't mention any other consoles, you're literally the only one here stirring the pot.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
By 2021, when UE5 releases, PCs will have SSD tech similar to the consoles. By 2022, or 2023, when the first UE5 game is released, consoles will no longer be even in the same ballpark as PCs. That said, if Horizon 2 looks like that UE5 tech demo I'll buy a ps5.

Console only peeps beating their chest about having a single unique feature for a year or two is kind of silly. This is why those of us that are "non-denominational" gamers laugh at those of you who are stuck goal tending for one platform or the other.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"A number of different components are required to render this level of detail, right?" offers Sweeney. "One is the GPU performance and GPU architecture to draw an incredible amount of geometry that you're talking about - a very large number of teraflops being required for this. The other is the ability to load and stream it efficiently. One of the big efforts that's been done and is ongoing in Unreal Engine 5 now is optimising for next generation storage to make loading faster by multiples of current performance. Not just a little bit faster but a lot faster, so that you can bring in this geometry and display it, despite it not all fitting and memory, you know, taking advantage of next generation SSD architectures and everything else... Sony is pioneering here with the PlayStation 5 architecture. It's got a God-tier storage system which is pretty far ahead of PCs, [but on] a high-end PC with an SSD and especially with NVMe, you get awesome performance too."

kyoji

Lot of little nuggets were dropped by epic and geoff did a good job asking certain questions i thought. I can see sonys vision for ps5 now a bit more, and that is MORE immersion, how that will pan out is still yet to be seen but its very clear they did not want to only just focus on graphics. The 3d audio, ssd, changes to the new controller.. exciting stuff.

I said this in another post but the fact that epic used ps5 to reveal their new engine is very telling it also lines up with what mark talked about with developers being very complimentary of the tools/tech inside the box.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
haha, I knew that when I just tried to access GAF and took a while something happened!
Really nice, that Tomb Raider - like demo of UE5 is fantastic. And I guess that more or less what we are going to get on next gen.

Ogbert

The timing of this along with the Unreal Engine 5 PS5 reveal makes me think there's some mutual fellatio going on here between Epic and Sony.

Sweeney just wants to make sure that any Sony game that makes its way to PC ends up on his store rather than Steam. He can't be thrilled with Horizon being on Steam.

Makes sense. He's obviously going to cultivate the perception of a relationship.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier

Sir .. let the overheated engine of urs cool off no need to post a shit war twist words

I know this is hard for you and some members here but it’s just unreal engine 5 not a PS5 exclusive game

Last edited:

Fbh

That's cool but as always I need to see to believe, all this talk about SSD's and speed is still just that... talk, until they actually start showing stuff.
Show me the same demo running on a high end PC and then point out the areas where the PS5 looks better due to the SSD, then I'll be impressed.

Also I imagine it was mostly for atmosphere but after so much talk of no more load screens it was funny to see the "character squeezes through tight space" sequence in the tech demo since that's used so often to hide loading

sendit

Tim Sweeny is just a good salesman.
But yeah, games requiring SSD is the future!

Like I’ve been saying for quite some time.The SSD is just one piece to the overall system architect. Take into account the custom I/O chip on the PS5 that a PC simply can not replicate at this moment.

This will eventually flow over to the PC world. Probably sooner than later.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Isn’t this what we have known since forever? Sony is trading other specs for an ahead of the curve SSD? PC SSDs will eventually catch up on that department, and that doesn’t mean they are copying the PS5. These things just always get faster.

Who says anything about copying? Of course they will. It's already rumored to have IO controllers/memory management for SSDs in the next Ryzen 4/RDNA 3 spec.

The great thing about it being in these two consoles as a baseline? It pushes PC gaming forward as well. Gamers WIN on every platform!

Top Bottom