• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi Survivor Performance Review - PS5 vs PC vs Xbox Series X|S (NXGamer)

Banned
It's because the PS5 has Blast Processing AMD SmartShift.

(yeah, I make that joke all the time, but I reckon there might be something to the system being able to boost the clocks at the drop of a hat)

how would that have anything to do with anything?

the system cannot boost clocks, it is sometimes FORCED to reduce them...

if the PS5 didn't use smart shift it would literally run some games even better than it already does.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Multiple sources who use trdrop? Yeah I think we should just wait for VGTech/DF rather than randos.
I think your position is correct. I only say what I have seen and the experiences expressed.
It in our part to believe that none Of YouTube videos are faithful Or vice versa .

But You have people commenting on their experience here, in Era and other forums. We are also free to ignore Or not. In my case I think there is enough evidence that cannot be ignored

onQ123

Is it really hard to make a game deeply rooted in past gen game design n technology to look pretty n run well on 12 fucking TF

What is this 1100p shit...

How...why would you design it like that?..

4Gj97zZ.png

ReBurn

Gold Member
Game desperately needs patching to address the CPU issues. Nothing I can see warrants even the PS5 and XSX CPU to drop to the mid 40s. Based on the PC version multithreading seems to hardly be used properly.
Must be something you can't see, then.

Lysandros

I think API’s having generally a lower overhead might be a reason why their consoles generally have slightly lower CPU clocks than Xbox consoles and you still see them at least neck and neck.
Matt Hargett also pointed to lower interconnect latencies on PS5 CPU comparatively. I remember pretty far apart L3 clusters on XSX die shot. PS5 ones are sticked together uniformly to the side. The CPU has to do less I/O processing on PS5 that's for sure. May be even The Tempest is a factor if more general audio processing can be offloaded it in addition to 3D effects.

I think API’s having generally a lower overhead might be a reason why their consoles generally have slightly lower CPU clocks than Xbox consoles and you still see them at least neck and neck.
Well DirectX was designed to be a very general API that can be used on PC's with infinity possible configurations. No one should be surprised that DirectX on a console doesn't perform as well as purpose-built console API's such as what PS and Switch have.

The other problem is yes PS5 has some specialized hardware, the special hardware controller for the SSD to offload data streaming and decompression, the extra processor with 512 MB of RAM for doing background system tasks, the 3D audio engine, etc. So it's nice to be able to offload support tasks which otherwise would occupy the CPU and main memory.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Wasn't there a narrative saying Xbox Series hardware would start to shine once games would become next-gen only?

Because here in a big next-gen only RT game, developed by a US company, PS5 runs 22% better and with much less traversal stutters according to others sources.

The game runs like garbage on all platforms. This is hardly a marker to hang your hat on.

The analysis leaves a lot to be desired and is not a true reflection of or reality in consoles as it only focuses on the first section of the beginning of the game.

First. The quality mode has been confirmed that it is not stable at all as the analysis says. In the following sections there are moments where the framerate on XSx and PS5 drops to ~20fps or even ~10fps. In performance mode there are sections that have posted ~30fps on both consoles.

Second. I would take the resolution issue with tweezers. If it is using FSR2 the base resolution is not 1400p (in quality mode) or 1124p (in performance mode). I think it is lower than NXG indicated there and I think that DF or VGTech can confirm it.

NX Gamer on Ign is clearly toeing these line, glossing over just how disappointingly unoptomized and rushed this release is, not taking the time to examine why the game is running at such low resolution on console and explaining whether these targets are in line with the capabilities of the consoles.

At the very least address the decision making of the devs to not offer a performance mode without RT so the game could have a respectable resolution at 60 fps.

Instead these analysis that gloss over issues do nothing to help the consumer or put pressure on a developer to do better. Especially in light of the fact that devs ONLY made a statement addressing PC, it wouldve been nice if a big outlet couldve said "hey Respawn, the CONSOLES are not in good shape either and here's why".

I'm sure to a degree he's just muzzled from doing so. This is an outlet that gave the game a 9 out of 10 after all.

Yet another 3rd party next gen game that doesn't even get close to the fidelity of Ratchet or Horizon and at less than half the resolution.

Wtf is going on? How can they be so far behind?

Even if they were that far behind there should be much better graphics and performance going from ps4 pro/xb1x to ps5/series x! The resolution of this game is dog shit. Why aren't the DF's, the NX gamers, the igns etc call the devs out!? NX Gamer is the same guy who at the beginning of this gen talked about how great, how powerful, and how developer friendly the PS5 was ....

Batiman

Banned
I was gonna get it this weekend for XSX but I think I’ll wait a bit. Gotta finish up some other games I’ve already started

Neff

The game actually looks really good.

I'm not kidding, there are times where it could pass for live action. For the most part it still looks like an incredibly good video game, but there's a few choice scenes where the lighting and the angle is just right and your brain is briefly fooled into thinking it's looking at photography. The only other game which has been able to do that for me was the Matrix demo.

Banned
Well DirectX was designed to be a very general API that can be used on PC's with infinity possible configurations. No one should be surprised that DirectX on a console doesn't perform as well as purpose-built console API's such as what PS and Switch have.

you can code "to the metal" on Xbox as well. DX12 on Xbox is not the exact same as on PC.

developers have low level access to the hardware

Pimpbaa

Yet another 3rd party next gen game that doesn't even get close to the fidelity of Ratchet or Horizon and at less than half the resolution.

Wtf is going on? How can they be so far behind?

It’s more performance issues than fidelity. I blame UE4. It was a shit engine last gen and still is this gen. I figured the much better cpu cores and gpu compute units of current gen would be able to handle UE4’s high overhead, but I guess not. Damn engine was a cpu hog all the way back to the first version. Unreal Tournament ran like garbage compared to Quake 3. Most of the good performing games had heavily modified version of UE3 or 4, like Injustice 2, Mortal Kombat 12, Arkham Knight and Days Gone.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It’s more performance issues than fidelity. I blame UE4. It was a shit engine last gen and still is this gen. I figured the much better cpu cores and gpu compute units of current gen would be able to handle UE4’s high overhead, but I guess not. Damn engine was a cpu hog all the way back to the first version. Unreal Tournament ran like garbage compared to Quake 3. Most of the good performing games had heavily modified version of UE3 or 4, like Injustice 2, Mortal Kombat 12, Arkham Knight and Days Gone.
Days gone had that insane streaming bug that manifested itself in the second half of the game. It was speculated that it was tied to the bike speed but it’s not a thing on PC so who knows. Maybe it was a cpu bottleneck after all this time.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
PS5's low-level APIs have been praised previously by developers. DX12 is obviously not as low level to the metal because it's not a specific API for X consoles.

BVYTKNu.jpg

Exh4JOl.jpg

The playstation dev platform is extremely robust and mature being worked on for 2 generations now. Sony deserve props for making a such a good API.

saying that, This is not the release quality of a game to even discuss this.

Let's discuss why resident evil 4, atomic heart and more games released this year run excellently on xbox after patches....I know it keeps getting said but its almost like the xbox consoles aren't prioritised until after launch.

It's a shame.

Last edited:

Zathalus

PS5's low-level APIs have been praised previously by developers. DX12 is obviously not as low level to the metal because it's not a specific API for X consoles.

BVYTKNu.jpg

Exh4JOl.jpg
While it is true Xbox runs DX12 and Windows, both are heavily altered and customised from what you will find on PC. DX12 is a low-level API in general, and in Xbox you would find further customizations as well. PS5 still has the more efficient API for CPU utilisation at the moment from what developers have mentioned. Saying that Xbox does not have low-level APIs is simply not true, both consoles have it, PS5 is just a bit more efficient at present.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
While it is true Xbox runs DX12 and Windows, both are heavily altered and customised from what you will find on PC. DX12 is a low-level API in general, and in Xbox you would find further customizations as well. PS5 still has the more efficient API for CPU utilisation at the moment from what developers have mentioned. Saying that Xbox does not have low-level APIs is simply not true, both consoles have it, PS5 is just a bit more efficient at present.
I agree. I think the same. Both are low-level APIs, but PS5 is closer to the metal because it's not an all-encompassing API.

We've seen many problems that span from Xbox Series X to S to PC but don't appear in the PS5 version. Those problems (e.g., Stutters, poor RT, CPU limis, etc.) are most likely because of DX12 because that's the one thing that's common in those 3 platforms.

PS5 seems to have a pretty symbolic lead percentage wise in performance mode over XSX.

At this point, it is akin to crowning the least horrible version. I am actually quite shocked at two things: That Respawn dealt a blow to an otherwise great game, judging by impressions I have heard, launching it in this state; and that many reviewers, apparently, did not incorporate this little detail into their opinion pieces (again, what I was made to understand by some posts)? In any case, reviewers do turn a blind eye to technical issues that annoy the majority of their audiances, which I find quite baffling..

The biggest problem with this games visuals on the consoles is the extremely low resolution in performance mode using FSR to upscale from 1100p.

Even if the devs offer a performance mode without the foolish RT, I highly doubt they would also raise the resolution.

I really hate FSR 2.1 on these consoles! It destroys image quality every time. FSR needs a higher native resolution in order to not completely fuck up iq.

Cyberpunk, Dying Light 2 and now Jedi Survivor all use it, all have a native res around 1100-1200p and all look like SHIT! The artifacting, aliasing and graininess is just awful.

The best case scenario should've been native 1440p with no ray tracing and no fsr for this game but devs today can't make a sensible decision apparently. Instead, they have to use the latest buzzword tech to the games great detriment.

It’s baffling that this game is in such a poor state. The Xbox/PC version requires months of optimization work. It’s just been haphazardly pushed out the door. How could they mess this up so badly? They already had the original running well across all current gen devices? Surely the industry took note when Cyberpunk launched unfinished and the reputation of CDProjectRed was forever tarnished.

The biggest problem with this games visuals on the consoles is the extremely low resolution in performance mode using FSR to upscale from 1100p.

Even if the devs offer a performance mode without the foolish RT, I highly doubt they would also raise the resolution.

I really hate FSR 2.1 on these consoles! It destroys image quality every time. FSR needs a higher native resolution in order to not completely fuck up iq.

Cyberpunk, Dying Light 2 and now Jedi Survivor all use it, all have a native res around 1100-1200p and all look like SHIT! The artifacting, aliasing and graininess is just awful.

The best case scenario should've been native 1440p with no ray tracing and no fsr for this game but devs today can't make a sensible decision apparently. Instead, they have to use the latest buzzword tech to the games great detriment.
I’m with you. FSR quality is the only version with IQ that is acceptable. It has a base resolution of 1440p. Anything else is noticeably ‘soft’ and artifact ridden on the big screen. These consoles should be able to do 1440p 60fps with FSR quality upscaling to 4K in pretty much all games. How the devs can get it so wrong is utterly disappointing.

Refunded on Steam yesterday. It’s a fun time for sure but I’m concerned about all the issues on the second planet which will inevitably occur over 2 hours in.

Definitely picking it up again when the issues have been ironed out. Seriously fun game!

Gonna grab Age of Wonders 4 instead for now.

Ozzie666

So, does everyone dislike Respawn, or does this all fall squarely on EA?

I'd like to imagine Respawn fought tooth and nail not to release it and some idiot said they had. Obviously only caring about short-term profits and some deadlines. Disney should be furious, just like Battle front fiasco.
Maybe one day we will find out what happened with this one.

Pull the license.

#FREERESPAWN, #FREEROCKSTEADY

Hunnybun

Even if this ran smoothly in each of the modes, it still looks nowhere near as good as those games and at like half the resolution. And this has been the general result this gen, albeit with a pretty low sample size.

I'm starting to wonder if the PS5 really is just a fundamentally better machine tbh.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So, does everyone dislike Respawn, or does this all fall squarely on EA?

I'd like to imagine Respawn fought tooth and nail not to release it and some idiot said they had. Obviously only caring about short-term profits and some deadlines. Disney should be furious, just like Battle front fiasco.
Maybe one day we will find out what happened with this one.

Pull the license.

#FREERESPAWN, #FREEROCKSTEADY

It should have been given more time in the oven to get the release up to scratch.

But who the fuck knows nowadays, everything seems to be borked in some way.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
yes, but it 100% does NOT prevent you from copy pasting code for PC. That's sort of the issue, where Sony SDK bitch directly in editor if you put there func from PS4 era, that they have newer one. Which makes actually quite a bit of real impact. Devs are lazy, I am one after all, thus "if it compiles don't fix" is doing all sorts of issues. And I get it, coding is hard.

Currently working on mac port and it is quite clear, where Sony has their inspiration, well better, they are sharing philosophy of making stuff efficient and up to date at any cost.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Another game rushed with bad optimization... as I said it in the " sony software sales" thread a few days ago .. early adopters are the new beta testers and has been for some time now... final optimized game in three to six months from now

And....

Pro consoles cant come soon enough

Top Bottom