• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi Survivor Performance Review - PS5 vs PC vs Xbox Series X|S (NXGamer)

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Summary:
  • Next-gen only.
PS5 vs. Series X
  • Same resolution and settings on PS5 and Series X.
  • 30 FPS mode is locked on both PS5 and Series X. Recommended mode by NX Gamer.
  • Quality mode targets 4K output (2560x1440) TAA FSR 2 PC settings.
  • Performance mode on PS5 and Series X targets 2048 x 1152 and 60 FPS. This resolution setting is closer to 1440p FSR 2 Balanced on PC with DRS.
  • Performance mode, much like PC, is 60 bound and stays around 50 FPS in the open-world sections. That is the case for both PS5 and Series X.
  • Ray-tracing is enabled on both PS5 and Series X.
  • Series X performs 18% worse than PlayStation 5.
  • VRR still leads to screen tearing.
  • Image quality is sharp and relatively clean, but thin elements can cause shimmering.
  • Performance mode also has lower level of foliage, LOD, tessellation, geometry, and triangle count.
  • Characters models are particularly great -- "Naughty Dog Level great."
  • Consoles have the same FOV settings as the PC version.

Series S
  • Series S targets a 1600 x 900 TAA resolution
  • Series S, targeting 900p 30 FPS (only mode), performs well with only occasional screen tearing.
  • Occasional drops to 25-27 FPS during some segments and cutscenes, which are likely due to GPU.
  • Series S also has reduced light sources, shadows, and ambient occlusion. Some of the lightings may be bugs.
  • Series S does not offer ray-tracing.
PC
  • On PC, ray tracing is costly and can cost approximately 43% performance when turning it on.
  • But SSR has issues, so ray-tracing is a very welcome addition.

Conclusion:
  • Beautiful game.
  • Out of Series X, Series X, PC, and PS5, PS5 offers the best experience, relatively speaking. But even that has stuttering and frame dropping issues.
  • A 40 FPS option would be great on the high-end consoles.
  • Despite receiving many patches, PC only saw an 8% improvement. Very CPU bound. And GPU bound, too, if you go above 1440p.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

The analysis leaves a lot to be desired and is not a true reflection of or reality in consoles as it only focuses on the first section of the beginning of the game.

First. The quality mode has been confirmed that it is not stable at all as the analysis says. In the following sections there are moments where the framerate on XSx and PS5 drops to ~20fps or even ~10fps. In performance mode there are sections that have posted ~30fps on both consoles.

Second. I would take the resolution issue with tweezers. If it is using FSR2 the base resolution is not 1400p (in quality mode) or 1124p (in performance mode). I think it is lower than NXG indicated there and I think that DF or VGTech can confirm it.

Last edited:

Duchess

It's probably more about API than hardware but something like that was seen already in many games
It's because the PS5 has Blast Processing AMD SmartShift.

(yeah, I make that joke all the time, but I reckon there might be something to the system being able to boost the clocks at the drop of a hat)

cant touch this GIF

Nope from me.

Uninstalled the PC Version because like Alex said in the video it just doesnt seem like the games finished lol. Tried the PS5 version and the stutter/screen tearing/frame drops once you get to Koboh reminded me of the PC Version - and even it felt like it was dropping to single digit fps at times. Im going to wait until the fall/winter more than likely for this one

This game should have came out at Christmas and they should have spent the whole year actually just finishing the thing. 70 dollar beta test

Sucks because im a huge Star Wars fan and I'd been waiting on this one

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The analysis leaves a lot to be desired and is not a true reflection of or reality in consoles as it only focuses on the first section of the beginning of the game.

First. The quality mode has been confirmed that it is not stable at all as the analysis says. In the following sections there are moments where the framerate on XSx and PS5 drops to ~20fps or even ~10fps. In performance mode there are sections that have posted ~30fps on both consoles.

Second. I would take the resolution issue with tweezers. If it is using FSR2 the base resolution is not 1400p (in quality mode) or 1124p (in performance mode). I think it is lower than NXG indicated there and I think that DF or VGTech can confirm it.
All analysis and performance reviews only do the beginning sections of the game. No one can play the entire game to test multiple consoles.

But it's valid because they find GPU-heavy sections and measure the performance of each console. That way, they can easily extrapolate and predict the type of performance you'll see on each console when you reach other GPU-heavy areas. It's a very reasonable method.

Zathalus

Game desperately needs patching to address the CPU issues. Nothing I can see warrants even the PS5 and XSX CPU to drop to the mid 40s. Based on the PC version multithreading seems to hardly be used properly.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Old engine has its issues, like I've talked about in another thread, they used UE4 4.26 from 2020, which didn't really had much next-get targeted optimalizations. 4.27 is year and few months younger and it does have quite a lot of optimizations. Strange decision.

Mr Moose

Who said this?

Duchess

Was just thinking - With Jedi Survivor being a pile of crap, Redfall now stands a chance of actually being played..! :)

I did not expect this 18% performance difference in favor of PS5 in performance mode, in any case, all versions need urgent patches, especially the PC disaster, for a while the Series S versions have hardly been commented on despite being best selling xbox console, 900p, no RT, only 30 frames, worst settings, tearing, pffffff.

Darsxx82

All analysis and performance reviews only do the beginning sections of the game. No one can play the entire game to test multiple consoles.

But it's valid because they find GPU-heavy sections and measure the performance of each console. That way, they can easily extrapolate and predict the type of performance you'll see on each console when you reach other GPU-heavy areas. It's a very reasonable method.
I don't know how many analisys you have seen but that is not true. LOL

Decent test always look a variety Of sections and this is not the case . It has not even entered into analyzing open world areas even though it shows some in the video.

The analysis is full of inconsistencies that have already been proven. Console play is nowhere near a stable experience in quality mode like he say. In the following sections there are drops even at ~10fps. Performance mode drops to 30fps. And as I say the resolution is not correct, the resolution base is less than that indicated there.

The objective of an analysis is to express as faithfully as possible the experience on the different platforms. This one doesn't.

Last edited:

Nydius

After watching both the DF video and this one, my only thoughts are:

To be released in this state after having a delay to address issues is utterly embarrassing. The “statement” they made yesterday where they tried to frame the issue as only affecting a small minority of high end PC gamers was pathetic when it’s evidently clear these issues affect all platforms. And the “journalists” who glossed over or outright ignored all of these performance issues - some of which are legitimately game halting - and still gave the game 9s or 10s need to be taken behind the shed and flogged.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't know how many analisys you have seen but that is not true. LOL

Decent test always look at multiple sections and this is not the case. It has not even entered into analyzing open world areas even though it shows some in the video.

The analysis is full of inconsistencies that have already been proven. Console play is nowhere near a stable experience in quality mode like he say. In the following sections there are drops even at ~10fps. Performance mode drops to 30fps. And as I say the resolution is not correct, the resolution base is less than that indicated there.

The objective of an analysis is to express as faithfully as possible the experience on the different platforms. This one doesn't.
Can you show those drops to 10 FPS from a credible source please?

Darsxx82

Can you show those drops to 10 FPS from a credible source please?
You have numerous experiences of people playing it ( also here in diferente OP) and I don't think they are all lying. And you have several videos on YouTube showing those drops, seconds of slowdowns and inconsistencies and with tearing. You can check it yourself and it will not be difficult for you.

The game is far from being a stable experience at 30fps in quality mode as much as it says so only based on a first section. Exactly the same with respect to the performance mode where the drops to ~30fps are not exactly anecdotal.

Now, if by a credible source and fidelity to reality your idea is this analysis.... OK.

Last edited:

damidu

You have numerous experiences of people playing it ( also here in diferente OP) and I don't think they are all lying. And you have several videos on YouTube showing those drops, seconds of slowdowns and inconsistencies and with tearing. You can check it yourself and it will not be difficult for you.

The game is far from being a stable experience at 30fps in quality mode as much as it says so only based on a first section. Exactly the same with respect to the performance mode where the drops to ~30fps are not exactly anecdotal.

Now, if by a credible source and true to reality your idea is that of this analysis.... OK.
lol quite a long winded non-answer for a pretty simple question

Luipadre

So apparently you can toggle performance mode on during cutscenes if you pause and it gives you "60" fps cutscenes instead of 30 in perf mode, but you need to do this in every cutscene

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Now, if by a credible source and fidelity to reality your idea is this analysis.... OK.
So you have no source? In that case, you have nothing to contest NXGamer's analysis with.

If another credible analysis video showed a different result, I could agree with you.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Welcome to 2023, where we play..who gets the less shittier version of a game.....

Patches will sort all this stuff out.

Prime example, Look at resident evil 4 now....Deffo looks like Devs prioritise the PS5 version then fix the Xbox version afterwards. Hopefully some patches come in ASAP because my copy arrives on Tuesday.

Mr Moose

No, multiple sources on youtube. And multiple experiences from players who have expressed how the gameplay becomes worse in the following sections, especially the open world ones. Another thing is that you want to believe that everyone is lying 😉
Multiple sources who use trdrop? Yeah I think we should just wait for VGTech/DF rather than randos.

A times i think i think it's not API as their many open world games that Xbox Series X is equal or faster than PS5 and most games after patched tend to be equal on Xbox Series X or better than PS5.

It is basically a Priority base. Most of console user are on PS5 than of course it will get major focus just like Nvidia gets major focus by developers on optimization side when they are porting their games on PC that is why mostly Sony and MS games tend to run better on Nvidia.

Otherwise, DX12 is the biggest API and only PS5 does not use it.

You will see that after 3 to 5 months when the games gets properly patched than Xbox Series X will be mostly equal or even beating PS5 (Which of course it should).

On PC side it will be equal running as RTX 3060 when it gets properly patched.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Was just thinking - With Jedi Survivor being a pile of crap, Redfall now stands a chance of actually being played..! :)
The game is hardly a pile of crap. It’s a really great star wars game and better than a lot of stuff out there.

I say… Throw it in quality mode on consoles and have a great time.

Also I don’t see why consoles never get a quality 1440 more?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's because the PS5 has Blast Processing AMD SmartShift.

(yeah, I make that joke all the time, but I reckon there might be something to the system being able to boost the clocks at the drop of a hat)
I think API’s having generally a lower overhead might be a reason why their consoles generally have slightly lower CPU clocks than Xbox consoles and you still see them at least neck and neck.

Top Bottom