• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5's SSD is "far ahead" of those found in high-end PCs, according to Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney

aGh9CdZ.jpg

Why is shit getting re-posted over and over? Didn't we cover this last night?

MHubert

No it does not.
Yes it does
Regarding loading and streaming, though, Sweeney says that the PlayStation 5's SSD architecture is "god-tier" and "pretty far ahead of PCs," but that you should still get "awesome performance" with an NVMe SSD.
Unless, of course, you would like to walk the line and argue that double the speed has no impact on how fast the data can be streamed.

Bryank75

Banned
If they did the demo for Series X they would be saying the same thing. " It would not be possible with out the breakthroughs that Microsoft has made. " They would say the same thing about PC too.

As for the results I believe it would be 4K / 60 FPS for Series X.
Based on what? Your deep belief in Xbox as a brand? LOL

Xbox has the same CPU as PS5....so that is the 60fps in the bin.
The gpu is a bit more powerful but what is that going to be used for? maybe ray tracing instead of global illumination or a slight bump in resolution but definitely not 4K.

Then you lose all the detail that made the demo impressive because SX doesn't have the capability to stream the high quality assets....

It will still look good on Xbox, maybe a bit higher resolution but the detail will all be gone.

You mean the the very low percentage of people that own a 2070? Even lower with the 2080 TI?

You don't understand basic system architect, yet you want to argue against what developers have stated regarding the maze that data has to be sent through to get from point A to B on a PC? You want to argue against why tech companies are placing engineering time to reduce this on the PC?

Also, please explain why a PCIe Gen4 NVME M.2 drive doesn't perform any better than a SATA3 SSD drive in gaming related task on a PC. :messenger_face_screaming:
Let's go with your little understanding of things. Let's imagine that pc's have this thing called, dedicated system memory. Why do you not include that, in any post or argument you have? Did system memory die out since consoles released.

Better yet, can you show me some actual gameplay from the ps5 in your room, that you are defending so hard? Cause I don't recall it being released to the public. And Sony definitely wouldn't release it to someone who doesn't understand the basics of how consoles are different from PC architecture.

Jayjayhd34

So am I understanding this right EPIC are saying the assets are to big to be streamed on M.2 below the specs of PS5. So my question here is how big would these assets be and how practical is that for a full game.

INC

So am I understanding this right EPIC are saying the assets are to big to be streamed on M.2 below the specs of PS5. So my question here is how big would these assets be and how practical is that for a full game.

Hence the decompression chip and tech......right?

M MHubert
Bryank75 Bryank75

All the IGN quote says, and all the IGN article says, is what the PS5 CAN do, not what the XsX can't do. They said nothing about the XsX yesterday. Sony's breakthrough allowing the UE5 demo to be what it is doesn't mean MS doesn't have a "breakthrough" of their own that will let XsX run the demo as well.

We don't know anything regarding how the well the XsX can or can't run the UE5 demo, reposting the same super oversized cherry picked quote doesn't change that.

Again, just like last night, here is what the actual quote was, and what followed.

“This is not just a whole lot of polygons and memory. It’s also a lot of polygons being loaded every frame as you walk around through the environment and this sort of detail you don’t see in the world would absolutely not be possible at any scale without these breakthroughs that Sony’s made.”

While Epic wouldn’t comment on any potential performance differences between the PS5 and Xbox Series X, Sweeney confirmed that the features shown today, like real-time global illumination and virtualized geometry, are “going to work on all the next-generation consoles.”

Saying the PS5 can do somethin doesn't mean the XsX can't also do it, and no technical specific requirements were stated

Tripolygon

Banned
Not gonna lie, but you definitely need glasses bro. Don't think you could school anyone, more or less yourself, with vision that bad. The control shot looks so washed out too. If you had to post screenshots to save someone's life, you might as well be the murderer. You are not proving a point at all right now, even with low resolution images. I'm disgusted!
You need glasses and therapy, you've been "laughing" at every comment in this thread since you got in here. Seek help. My point was Killzone does not need 16x AA. Pull a screenshot from those i have posted that need 16x AA.
Some are, some aren't. It's a matter of content. There's also the fact that they're screenshots. Aliasing is more than just jaggies. I can take great looking screenshots using a dab of supersampling and FXAA. Static they'll look aliasing free...in motion though? Not so much.
None of them is riddled with aliasing especially compared to last gen which was my point. Current gen games have excellent AA for the most part, they don't need 16x MSAA like D DoctaThompson seems to believe. A lot of games are adapting temporal anti aliasing which works better in motion than when static, especially with the advent of reconstruction techniques.

Last edited:
Yes it does

Unless, of course, you would like to walk the line and argue that double the speed has no impact on how fast the data can be streamed.
How fast was the demo in the tech demo? Please just be honest. If you have absolutely not a clue in the world, just say so. There's no reason to make a fool out of yourself any further. You simply don't have a clue, and that's fine. So let that be it, and stop claiming things you have no clue about.

sendit

Let's go with your little understanding of things. Let's imagine that pc's have this thing called, dedicated system memory. Why do you not include that, in any post or argument you have? Did system memory die out since consoles released.

Better yet, can you show me some actual gameplay from the ps5 in your room, that you are defending so hard? Cause I don't recall it being released to the public. And Sony definitely wouldn't release it to someone who doesn't understand the basics of how consoles are different from PC architecture.

.....where do you think System Memory receives its data?

Like I said, you have a really weak grasp of system architect which is why I suggested you read a book.

You need glasses and therapy, you've been "laughing" at every comment in this thread since you got in here. Seek help. My point was Killzone does not need 16x AA. Pull a screenshot from those i have posted that need 16x AA.

None of them is riddled with aliasing especially compared to last gen which was my point. Current gen games have excellent AA for the most part, they don't need 16x MSAA like D DoctaThompson seems to believe. A lot of games are adapting temporal anti aliasing which works better in motion than when static, especially with the advent of reconstruction techniques.
It's not that they don't need 16x AA. It's more so that they need 16x AA, and do not have it. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have. I'm just saying....

Bryank75

Banned
M MHubert
Bryank75 Bryank75

All the IGN quote says, and all the IGN article says, is what the PS5 CAN do, not what the XsX can't do. They said nothing about the XsX yesterday. Sony's breakthrough allowing the UE5 demo to be what it is doesn't mean MS doesn't have a "breakthrough" of their own that will let XsX run the demo as well.

We don't know anything regarding how the well the XsX can or can't run the UE5 demo, reposting the same super oversized cherry picked quote doesn't change that.

Again, just like last night, here is what the actual quote was, and what followed.

Saying the PS5 can do somethin doesn't mean the XsX can't also do it, and no technical specific requirements were stated
It wouldn't be a breakthrough if Xbox could do it on a system that was revealed months ago.... then it would have been 'Xbox's breakthrough'..... and 2.4gb with a shit controller is not groundbreaking. TBF

Vasto

Based on what? Your deep belief in Xbox as a brand? LOL

Xbox has the same CPU as PS5....so that is the 60fps in the bin.
The gpu is a bit more powerful but what is that going to be used for? maybe ray tracing instead of global illumination or a slight bump in resolution but definitely not 4K.

Then you lose all the detail that made the demo impressive because SX doesn't have the capability to stream the high quality assets....

It will still look good on Xbox, maybe a bit higher resolution but the detail will all be gone.

Based on what?

Have you not seen the game Digital Foundy called the UE 4 showcase Gears 5 at 4K / 60 FPS on a Xbox One X? Now just imagine what is going to be possible on Series X.

Again, I do not see what is impressive about that demo. That demo was 2 things which was UE5 and PS5. The UE5 part looked amazing but the PS5's performance was a huge let down. It was just a static demo with not much going on screen. A slow walking character alone by her self and the PS5 could only do 1440p / 30 FPS in that? That should have easily been 4K / 60 FPS with maybe some FPS drops at the end when she started flying.

Phil has already said that Ninja Theory cant wait to get there hands on UE5. :messenger_savoring:

Last edited:

FireFly

Velocity is to decompress data....

You don't want to compress film grade assets or they turn to shit.....
The problem with Series X SSD is that it doesn't have a 12 channel controller and the achitecture is closer to PC than how PS5 is organized around the SSD, that results in nearly instantaneous full saturation of the 5.5gb compared to the low saturation SX will get of an already less than half speed SSD.

That is why this will have to be toned way down on SX.
It's not just used to compress data.

"The final component in the triumvirate is an extension to DirectX - DirectStorage - a necessary upgrade bearing in mind that existing file I/O protocols are knocking on for 30 years old, and in their current form would require two Zen CPU cores simply to cover the overhead, which DirectStorage reduces to just one tenth of single core. "

"A technique called Sampler Feedback Streaming - SFS - was built to more closely marry the memory demands of the GPU, intelligently loading in the texture mip data that's actually required with the guarantee of a lower quality mip available if the higher quality version isn't readily available, stopping GPU stalls and frame-time spikes. Bespoke hardware within the GPU is available to smooth the transition between mips, on the off-chance that the higher quality texture arrives a frame or two later. Microsoft considers these aspects of the Velocity Architecture to be a genuine game-changer, adding a multiplier to how physical memory is utilised. "

Microsoft also say that 100 Gb of data is available "instantly" to developers.

Bryank75

Banned
Based on what?

Have you not seen the game Digital Foundy called the UE 4 showcase Gears 5 at 4K / 60 FPS on a Xbox One X? Now just imagine what is going to be possible on Series X.

Again, I do not see what is impressive about that demo. It was just a static demo with not much going on screen. A slow walking character alone by her self and the PS5 could only do 1440p / 30 FPS in that? That should have easily been 4K / 60 FPS with maybe some FPS drops at the end when she started flying.

Phil has already said that Ninja Theory cant wait to get there hands on UE5. :messenger_savoring:

So we've gone from downplaying the PS5 to downplaying the demo...... hahahaha

At least you're entertaining!

MHubert

Count how many ppl that have said this demo isn't running on PC or Xbox. I'll still be here once you get your numbers tallied up.

What's your question again?
No, people are arguing that PC (as of now) and Xbox will run the demo but with slower data streaming. Your claim that people are saying that the demo can only run on PS5 is something you just make up. It's called a straw man.
I asked you what, according to you, makes a graphics feature 'technically better', since it apparently has nothing to do with how it looks, or how it taxes the system.

Last edited:
.....where do you think System Memory receives its data?

Like I said, you have a really weak grasp of system architect which is why I suggested you read a book.
The same place consoles get their data from, duh. If you knew about system architecture, you would know this.

You're clearly trying to push the agenda that since PC SSD's aren't that fast, they will suffer, b.s. Not falling for it, and it's been disproven several times. The devs that made the demo stated it themselves. Instead of being so defensive, it might help to do the minimal research before posting b. S.

Bryank75

Banned
It's not just used to compress data.

"The final component in the triumvirate is an extension to DirectX - DirectStorage - a necessary upgrade bearing in mind that existing file I/O protocols are knocking on for 30 years old, and in their current form would require two Zen CPU cores simply to cover the overhead, which DirectStorage reduces to just one tenth of single core. "

"A technique called Sampler Feedback Streaming - SFS - was built to more closely marry the memory demands of the GPU, intelligently loading in the texture mip data that's actually required with the guarantee of a lower quality mip available if the higher quality version isn't readily available, stopping GPU stalls and frame-time spikes. Bespoke hardware within the GPU is available to smooth the transition between mips, on the off-chance that the higher quality texture arrives a frame or two later. Microsoft considers these aspects of the Velocity Architecture to be a genuine game-changer, adding a multiplier to how physical memory is utilised. "

Microsoft also say that 100 Gb of data is available "instantly" to developers.
100 gb instantly means nothing.... that is marketing language that avoids the actual technical speed. If they had anything worth shouting about, the devs would be excited but none of them give a crap about the Xbox SSD...just the facts.

Tim Sweeney is a damned smart guy, so I'm gonna trust his opinion.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Based on what?

Again, I do not see what is impressive about that demo. That demo was 2 things which was UE5 and PS5. The UE5 part looked amazinb but the PS5's performance was a huge let down. It was just a static demo with not much going on screen. A slow walking character alone by her self and the PS5 could only do 1440p / 30 FPS in that? That should have easily been 4K / 60 FPS with maybe some FPS drops at the end when she started flying.

Stop. The XSX will not run that demo with the same fidelity at 4K/60 compared to the PS5. It is not THAT much more powerful to achieve that level of performance boost.

And nice disingenuous tweet.

No, people are arguing that PC (as of now) and Xbox will run the demo but with slower data streaming. Your claim that people are saying that the demo can only run on PS5 is something you just make up. It's called a straw man.
I asked you what, according to you, makes a graphics feature 'technically better', since it apparently has nothing to do with how it looks, or how it taxes the system.
Go and look in the past several pages. Either you are being dense, or you are as blind as Tripolygon Tripolygon . ethomaz ethomaz is a main contender trying to say it's not possible for instance.

I never said it has nothing to do with looks. Not sure why you are trying to imply things I didn't say?

Bryank75

Banned
Stop. The XSX will not run that demo with the same fidelity at 4K/60 compared to the PS5. It is not THAT much more powerful to achieve that level of performance boost.

Already said to them...same cpu, gpu a bit better but all it could do is increase rez a little but all the detail would be lost due to streaming speed being slower.

If I ask you for reciepts for the trillionth time, will you actually provide proof? Or continue to speak out your ass?

I'm not speculating here, just going by what the devs said. And the demo runs on Xbox and PC. Never anything about compromises, unless you have insider info? Well.... Do you?

Ascend

You're just being obtuse at this stage...

"The IO capabilities of PlayStation 5 are one of the key hardware features that enable us to achieve that level of realism."

The IO capabilities of PS5 are unique to it, more than twice as fast as Series X.... if it was a gpu thing, Xbox would have been better..like RTX.
No. You're the one that's reaching. The SSD on the Xbox is not much different in transfer speeds to the PC ones. If the PC SSDs would not be sufficient, he would be comparing it to those, rather than hard drives. Quote mining won't help to support your biased goals. That the I/O enables that does not mean that the PS5 I/O is the minimum required to achieve the same thing.

sendit

The same place consoles get their data from, duh. If you knew about system architecture, you would know this.

You're clearly trying to push the agenda that since PC SSD's aren't that fast, they will suffer, b.s. Not falling for it, and it's been disproven several times. The devs that made the demo stated it themselves. Instead of being so defensive, it might help to do the minimal research before posting b. S.

PC SSD's will be every bit as fast as when the PS5 arrives on store shelves.

But yet again, the point (custom I/O chip to reduce CPU overhead/latency) goes completely over your head.

Go read a book.

Last edited:
Based on what?

Again, I do not see what is impressive about that demo. That demo was 2 things which was UE5 and PS5. The UE5 part looked amazing but the PS5's performance was a huge let down. It was just a static demo with not much going on screen. A slow walking character alone by her self and the PS5 could only do 1440p / 30 FPS in that? That should have easily been 4K / 60 FPS with maybe some FPS drops at the end when she started flying.

lol This is pretty delusional. Any chance of me taking this post serious went out the window when you said it should have easily hit 4K/60FPS. You realize even if the XSX was running that, it would still be under 4K due to Epic making it that way? Eventually one day, people will realize that 4K/60FPS doesn’t automatically make a game look better.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
As for the results I believe it would be 4K / 60 FPS for Series X.
One or other, not both
Based on what?

Not sure you noticed but they never talked about character models for a reason. Instead they used the statue as reference
I'm sure a tech demo demonstration will arrive to show what this tech can do.

Last edited:

Vasto

Do you think that demo could also not run on a high end pc with the same fidelity at 4k / 60 fps?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If I ask you for reciepts for the trillionth time, will you actually provide proof? Or continue to speak out your ass?

I'm not speculating here, just going by what the devs said. And the demo runs on Xbox and PC. Never anything about compromises, unless you have insider info? Well.... Do you?

Bruh, what are you talking about. You are so obsessed in here.

Dude said that demo will run 4K/60 on the XSX compared to 1440/30 on the PS5. Even you can admit that is some ripe bullshit.

Do you think that demo could also not run on a high end pc with the same fidelity at 4k / 60 fps?

You said XSX my dude.

And I am positive it could on a top of the line rig that has equivalent IO stacking/speeds.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
No. You're the one that's reaching. The SSD on the Xbox is not much different in transfer speeds to the PC ones. If the PC SSDs would not be sufficient, he would be comparing it to those, rather than hard drives. Quote mining won't help to support your biased goals. That the I/O enables that does not mean that the PS5 I/O is the minimum required to achieve the same thing.
Why not show the demo on a super epic rig then? since Epic have a PC store...... it would be more in their interest.

I'll give you a hint...it's not possible yet at that level.

PC SSD's will be every bit as fast as when the PS5 arrives on store shelves.

But yet again, the point (custom I/O chip to reduce CPU overhead/latency) goes completely over your head.

Go read a book.
So if I don't upgrade my SSD, are you implying that I can't run the demo? Because you take one thing, and perceive your own understanding, and literally run with it as a FACT. Which is pretty stupid, as some people actually have common sense and conclude that the devs have more knowledge than you on the topic, and their own engine. Which they just so happen to say, runs on all platforms. Could you fucking believe that?! Lol

Vasto

Bruh, what are you talking about. You are so obsessed in here.

Dude said that demo will run 4K/60 on the XSX compared to 1440/30 on the PS5. Even you can admit that is some ripe bullshit.

You said XSX my dude.

And I am positive it could on a top of the line rig that has equivalent IO stacking/speeds.

The problem is people say that there is nothing that can match the IO stacking / speeds of PS5. This tech demo is only possible on PS5 remember.

Tripolygon

Banned
It's not that they don't need 16x AA. It's more so that they need 16x AA, and do not have it. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have. I'm just saying....
That's the dumbest comment yet. Just toggle 16x MSAA just in case some edge somewhere unnoticeable is aliased.
Performance cost of 8x MSAA on GTX 1060 at 1080p. Almost 50% performance drop.

Spiderman PS4 does not use 16x MSAA. Uses a form of TAA at much less performance cost than MSAA.
44513945131_9d7f5247d4_o.png

43800823434_265f2f52e2_o.png

Last edited:

sendit

So if I don't upgrade my SSD, are you implying that I can't run the demo? Because you take one thing, and perceive your own understanding, and literally run with it as a FACT. Which is pretty stupid, as some people actually have common sense and conclude that the devs have more knowledge than you on the topic, and their own engine. Which they just so happen to say, runs on all platforms. Could you fucking believe that?! Lol

Oh god....I never implied anything of sort. I don't know what your PC specs are (I don't care, so please don't post them). You have some serious reading comprehension issues. Maybe you shouldn't read a book.

That's the dumbest comment yet. Just toggle 16x MSAA just in case some edge somewhere unnoticeable is aliased.
Performance cost of 8x MSAA on GTX 1060 at 1080p. Almost 50% performance drop.

Spiderman PS4 does not use 16x MSAA. Uses a form of TAA at much less performance cost than MSAA.
44513945131_9d7f5247d4_o.png

43800823434_265f2f52e2_o.png

"just in case some edge somewhere unnoticeable is aliased."

You posted a shitty image of killzone with more jaggies on screen than polygons, you can't be serious right now. You posted it three times for that matter, as if the image was supposed to clear up after the third repost. Everyone shitted on it and had their laughs. You could have taken your L and moved on, but you are back again with horrible lighting/shadows. What in the fuck reality did I wake up in lol. I can find better shots than that.

Would I rather have the option to clear up images with MSAA? Hel yeah! If you had the option, you would at least clean up these shitty images before posting them, and trying to shit on me.

Oh god....I never implied anything of sort. I don't know what your PC specs are (I don't care, so please don't post them). You have some serious reading comprehension issues. Maybe you shouldn't read a book.
So why bring up latency and all of that, if I and others wouldn't be affected? "Here's my sign"? That makes no sense to post something if it didn't affect PC in the demo, as Tim's team clearly stated.

MHubert

Go and look in the past several pages. Either you are being dense, or you are as blind as Tripolygon Tripolygon . ethomaz ethomaz is a main contender trying to say it's not possible for instance.
I have read the whole thread and the users you tag has only been trying to tell you what I just wrote.
I never said it has nothing to do with looks. Not sure why you are trying to imply things I didn't say?
And I'm not disagreeing that the demo looks dated. But what I am saying is, none of the games you mentioned are technically better.
I mean... I didn't even mention any games...

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
"just in case some edge somewhere unnoticeable is aliased."

You posted a shitty image of killzone with more jaggies on screen than polygons, you can't be serious right now. You posted it three times for that matter, as if the image was supposed to clear up after the third repost. Everyone shitted on it Every dumbass commented on it and had their laughs. You could have taken your L and moved on, but you are back again with horrible lighting/shadows. What in the fuck reality did I wake up in lol. I can find better shots than that.

Would I rather have the option to clear up images with MSAA? Hel yeah! If you had the option, you would at least clean up these shitty images before posting them, and trying to shit on me.
Corrected you there. Its the same names I've seen on gaf making dumbass comments. You said current gen games have not surpassed previous Unreal Engine demos and they unequivocally have.

Lets see, last time I corrected you was in that TLOU thread. So i know your schtick dude. You are out of your depth and have no idea what you are talking about and you overcompensate with a false sense of confidence by laughing at every comment.
You still aren't showing in game, and Hellblade looks better in game. Why is that so hard to swallow for you??

Funny thing is, hellblade on ps4 looks better than uncharted ps4. No one brought up PC, but YOU. I bet Horizon, Death Stranding, GoW, and Uncharted look much better on PC than PS4. But that doesn't take away from the fact that Hellblade>>> Uncharted character models. 🧠🧠🧠🧠
Lololol guess you couldn't prove anyone wrong here. And the best thing is to yeet out here as soon as possible. I don't blame you at all.
Ok this has gone on long enough so lets just end this argument because it is pointless and going nowhere. These characters are almost identical in terms of triangles and vertex count.

Elana in Uncharted 4 has 139 thousand triangles and 80 thousand vertices.
Senua in Hellblade has 125 thousand triangles and 71 thousand vertices.

The dinorobo in Horizon has more than both combined. Lmao

Last edited:
Top Bottom