• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5/XSX/Steam versions of Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil 3 launch today

Salz01

It seems the fluffy mod manager files don’t work with the update anymore on steam. I’m hoping that gets patched fixed. There is no way to go back and play the older version once it updates right?

Neff

I really don't like the weird brightness calibration the new RE engine games have. It always feels like I'm doing something wrong. Either too dark or somewhat washed out.

Definitely too dark. I leave the first light/dark options alone but bump up the third (overall) brightness up a couple of notches and that seems about right.

Nickolaidas

It seems the fluffy mod manager files don’t work with the update anymore on steam. I’m hoping that gets patched fixed. There is no way to go back and play the older version once it updates right?
Yup, they need to update the mod launcher. Apparently the launcher no longer recognizes the game's PAK files.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
RE2 Ray Tracing

Z4X7JLS.jpg

95ih5yM.jpg
Its times like these I regret not having a gaming PC :(

Edit:

Does VRR work on this game in 60fps mode on PS5? Does it help with the fluctuating fps with RT enabled ?

Last edited:
Well I tried RE2 on PS5 with RT and it is even worse than RE3. Like 90% of the intro was outside of VRR range so lower than 48fps. Even the foyer of the police station with zero happening was max 50fps and mainly lower than 48fps.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Are there any other changes besides forced dx12 and ray tracing options?
and 3d audio

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Steam updated RE2 Remake, RE3 Renake and RE7 last night on my PC so I got chance to try all three this morning.

I personally did not notice much difference in RE2 or RE7 from the save point I was at; the games looked pretty much as I remembered them and there was little in the way of genuinely noticeable enhancements. Sure, the reflections on the floor in the police station in RE2 now look less pixellated but that was the only real difference I noticed. I then played RE3 where I playing as Carlos in the hospital area and it was here that I noticed a lot more in the way of reflections due to the abundance of windows, shiny floors and other reflective surfaces. It looked nice for sure but it wasn't that much of an upgrade. However, the game still runs at 100-120 fps at 1440p on my RTX 3080 with every maxed out including both RT settings on High so I do not feel I am losing anything leaving these on.

I have not had the chance to try RE7 on my Xbox Series X or RE2 Remake on my PS5, both of which updated as well last night. However, I have been reading of sub-60 fps performance issues in both versions so I hope we have the option to turn the RT effects off like in RE Village. VRR can certainly help hide these drops but only if you have a TV that supports it otherwise you will have to put up with a stuttering framerate which obviously is not ideal when the previous versions were running fine at a locked 60 fps on current gen systems.
I saw zero improvements whatsoever in the police station. Did several comparisons. If anything, the floor is no longer shiny. Not impressed.

I really dont think RTGI, reflections are really all that necessary in games like this. I can understand RTGI in open world games with dynamic lighting and RT reflections in urban open worlds like Spiderman with lots of windows, but in most other games, the performance hit is just not worth it. Id rather they just use Software Lumens shown in the first UE5 demo for any dynamic lighting needs and proper GI bounce. Even Hardware Lumens in the Matrix demo is way too taxing on the GPU with very little visual upgrade.

I dont want to sound too negative about this seeing as how this a free upgrade of games that came out 3-5 years ago so mad props to Capcom for doing this as experiment of sorts.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I tried some re2. I cannot spot any change really... aside from dropping to 80-60fps instead of constant 14k120.
And when I enable and disable some settings, the game goes to a crawl for good 30 seconds and even crashed once. It was always like this. I think it's 3080 memory limit.

And yeah, they replaced binaural audio with 3d audio button. not sure how it differs. You can enable it no matter if you use speakers or headphones.... I wonder if maybe on ps5 it is auto enabled if you enable 3d in system settings.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I tried some re2. I cannot spot any change really... aside from dropping to 80-60fps instead of constant 120 at 4k.
And when I enable and disable some settings, the game goes to a crawl for good 30 seconds and even crashed once. It was always like this. I think it's 3080 memory limit.

And yeah, they replaced binaural audio with 3d audio button. not sure how it differs. You can enable it no matter if you use speakers or headphones.... I wonder if maybe on ps5 it is auto enabled if you enable 3d in system settings
I was having audio issues whenever I enabled HDR so i didnt even bother with 3D audio. Really dont care for how poorly HDR is implemented in some PC games.

And yes, I ran into the same memory limit on the 3080. Saw several stutters right after changing settings. Shouldve never returned my 12 GB card. :(

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
In fact, the 3080 is cooking at 81c lol.
One thing that I notice more now is gamma changing with fps. On oled, if you drop below 120 with vrr, the gamma changes a but and all colors in re2 are this grey affected colors.
Exactly like I recrded some time ago except now the fps is just worse, so it happens naturally.
I almost wonder, if it wouldn't be better to disable VRR and just run at locked 60fps with 120hz refresh rate

McGILLAZ

I am actually walking away most impressed by RE7 - the opening hour or so really sees some impressive lighting throughout the house - especially the light pouring in through the windows during the first encounter with Jack. Even his glasses appear to have some tinge of upgrade, reflecting nearby light sources (the "dinner" scene looks especially cool)

SlimySnake

In fact, the 3080 is cooking at 81c lol.
One thing that I notice more now is gamma changing with fps. On oled, if you drop below 120 with vrr, the gamma changes a but and all colors in re2 are this grey affected colors.
Exactly like I recrded some time ago except now the fps is just worse, so it happens naturally.
I almost wonder, if it wouldn't be better to disable VRR and just run at locked 60fps with 120hz refresh rate

Undervolt your card. I set mine to 1830 mhz at around 850 mv and was able to reduce power consumption by 40 watts and reduce temps by 3-5 degrees.

But yeah, this card runs way too hot. I recently built an awesome cool case with 3 intake and 3 exhaust fans that dropped by RTX 2080 temps from 75 all the way down to just 55 degrees. But then i upgraded to this card and now i hover around 69-73 degrees. Almost feel tempted to water cool this thing but it is meant to be a 70 degree card.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Well I tried RE2 on PS5 with RT and it is even worse than RE3. Like 90% of the intro was outside of VRR range so lower than 48fps. Even the foyer of the police station with zero happening was max 50fps and mainly lower than 48fps.
I really don't understand why this enhanced patch runs so badly on console with RT. RE8 is not absolutely that bad in RT.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Undervolt your card. I set mine to 1830 mhz at around 850 mv and was able to reduce power consumption by 40 watts and reduce temps by 3-5 degrees.

But yeah, this card runs way too hot. I recently built an awesome cool case with 3 intake and 3 exhaust fans that dropped by RTX 2080 temps from 75 all the way down to just 55 degrees. But then i upgraded to this card and now i hover around 69-73 degrees. Almost feel tempted to water cool this thing but it is meant to be a 70 degree card.
I am fine with 81c. It's just a small jet haha. But I... kinda like to hear it if you know what I mean. The sound is not annoying. I play with headphones anyway. Rest of pc is silent. be quietfans are locked to 700-800 fixed rpm. I locked at that because above, it is audible.

Vick Vick I tried your sdr settings and these are exactly the settings I remember trying on release.
You will kill me but I think it's a bit dull and crushed compared to HDR hgig.
It eliminates the grey tint but I've loaded few saves and I still think it is intentional as it is only there if few rooms. Underground parking, main hall, some saving room, lab - all do not have the grey look with HDR.

I've tried capturing HDR vs sdr calibrated pics but it's no use. All of sudden, there are tons of reflections in the tv and I swear, these are 90% less pronounced in reality.
I will try in the evening. Top hdr, lower sdr... and the picture does not show how good the colors and light sources look with HDR. The game pops out of oled for sure! And the gray rooms have better contrast in hdr mode too while not being crushed.
btw - for hdr calibration, the first slider with white box is 5 click from the start. and the other slider is in the middle
cjoiQsN.jpg

sEgpCub.jpg

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I am fine with 81c. It's just a small jet haha. But I... kinda like to hear it if you know what I mean. The sound is not annoying. I play with headphones anyway. Rest of pc is silent. be quietfans are locked to 700-800 fixed rpm. I locked at that because above, it is audible.

Vick Vick I tried your sdr settings and these are exactly the settings I remember trying on release.
It eliminates the grey tint but I've loaded few saves and I still think it is intentional as it is only there if few rooms. Underground parking, main hall, some saving room, lab - all do not have the grey look with HDR.

I've tried capturing HDR vs sdr calibrated pics but it's no use. All of sudden, there are tons of reflections in the tv and I swear, these are 90% less pronounced in reality.
I will try in the evening. Top hdr, lower sdr... and the picture does not show how good the colors and light sources look with HDR. The game pops out of oled for sure! And the gray rooms have better contrast in hdr mode too while not being crushed.
btw - for hdr calibration, the first slider with white box is 5 click from the start. and the other slider is in the middle
cjoiQsN.jpg

sEgpCub.jpg
I hate hate HATE fan noise. I HATE it. How can I play survival horror games where silence is paramount and I have a fucking jet next to me?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hate hate HATE fan noise. I HATE it. How can I play survival horror games where silence is paramount and I have a fucking jet next to me?
it's not THAT loud. I use headphones for horror games.
If I wanted silence, I would probably play on ps5 or underclock

Vick

cringe-distorted.gif

Me on the other hand rocking the game at reference volume on pitch black home theatre + dead silent PS5.

just-flexing-arnold-schwarzenegger.gif

Sorry, just pulling your leg. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I'm sure it's not a big deal with good headphones.

cjoiQsN.jpg

sEgpCub.jpg
Yeah those screenshots look much better now.
I only play on plasma (near black performances, much superior motion resolution and low input lag) so i never actually played RE2 with HDR, but the important thing is that now in SDR you have a correct image, which i'm sure you would agree is a whole different planet compared to Default.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There's 2 options.

RT on/off
High frame rate on/off

You cannot have RT and high frame rate on at the same time.

So, you have 60FPS RT mode, 60 FPS no RT mode and 120 FPS mode with no RT and what looks like reconstructing from a lower resolution.
This stuff is so annoying.
Why not say in description what the setting really means. Why not give "turn off frame limiter" setting instead.
These badly implemented and described modes grind my gears

skneogaf

I've set my fps to 60fps as playing at 4k@120hz with everything on absolute maximum makes my gpu fans go buuuurrrr!

I'd have to put my pc in a different room if I was to play like that.

60fps is fine for these games and my 3090ti fan's pretty much turn off at 60fps.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've set my fps to 60fps as playing at 4k@120hz with everything on absolute maximum makes my gpu fans go buuuurrrr!

I'd have to put my pc in a different room if I was to play like that.

60fps is fine for these games and my 3090ti fan's pretty much turn off at 60fps.
you can probably undervolt like SlimySnake SlimySnake said.
And if you play on oled, consider disabling vrr if you are locked to 60fps. Should help with gamma a bit.

SlimySnake

And if you play on oled, consider disabling vrr if you are locked to 60fps. Should help with gamma a bit.
How in the world are you hitting 2100+ Mhz on a 3080. Which brand card do you have?

Your power consumption must be in the 400 watt range, no?

skneogaf

I'm playing on an 83"oled C1.

I used evil Boris for brightness settings so is as accurate as possible.

I may look into the sound and heat benefits from under voltage as I'm perfectly fine not hitting 120fps as I'm not confident any of us would be able to tell the difference between 90 and 120fps so if I could get 90 fps average with very little fan noise then I'd do it.

Most games I've tried at 4k@120fps makes my 3090ti or my old 3090 fans go high to a point I don't think it's worth it.

Hopefully the 4090Ti cards will be much quieter and if not I'll make sure I buy one that is the quietest, probably an AIO from evga or from Asus is likely the best.

hollams

Gold Member
Most games I've tried at 4k@120fps makes my 3090ti or my old 3090 fans go high to a point I don't think it's worth it.
Exactly. As soon as I turn on 120fps in graphics intensive games then the 3090 fan goes crazy, at 60 no noise at all. It's very annoying. Last night I tried looking at setting a custom Fan curve then just gave up as it's not worth it.

SkylineRKR

I only tried RE3 and 120fps looks flat (PS5), but it plays wonderful. RT mode looks best, but has some dips during cutscenes and explosions. It generally performs well enough however, but not as good as Village did.

K' Dash

I honestly didn't notice much change aside from the game gooing below 60fps In some spots :/

I mean, it was a great looking game from the start anyway.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Really bothers me to see people crying for them to drop the resolution. Id hate to lose this crisp image for a few frame drops that i dont notice. Re3 on xbox one x went from being one of the prettiest games on the console to blurry af after people on twitter cried about frame drops. Give that crowd the option to cap the frame rate or something, dont take away picture clarity like you did on the xbox one x

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Really bothers me to see people crying for them to drop the resolution. Id hate to lose this crisp image for a few frame drops that i dont notice. Re3 on xbox one x went from being one of the prettiest games on the console to blurry af after people on twitter cried about frame drops. Give that crowd the option to cap the frame rate or something, dont take away picture clarity like you did on the xbox one x
I agree, I know it there but I'm sure it can be fixed in a patch that doesn't involve dropping the resolution

TGO

Pretty good comparison

Sadly captured... anything look bad in comparison to the real thing.

Last edited:

TGO

Has Capcom listed what kind of Ray Tracing is in each version of the game.
You can see the reflection of Claire on the cars when you walk pass them
Don't know about anything else
sxiOxxW.jpg

Top Bottom