• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5/XSX/Steam versions of Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil 3 launch today

RobRSG

The new PC version of RE3 is the first game ever that managed to make my 3080 run out of VRAM and crash. Had to dial back some settings even at 1440p (High-3GB, High Shadows).

This makes me wonder how optimized is the RT here, and how much you can miss DLSS when it is not included in a RT game. Also, the visual payout is not justifying the VRAM cost.

Mr Moose

It seems to be just RT reflections from what I've played on Series S.
I thought it was just darker shadows at first but I'm not even sure any more, when I uploaded RE2 pics to my PC and checked, the lighting seemed different in the RT mode (and less shiny spots on floor in the pic I took), lighter in places and darker in others.
b8eRESIDENTEVIL22022061.jpg

RT:
RESIDENTEVIL22022061.jpg
What was the RT in Village? I remember some bits looked a bit different (face of a girl near a barn) with RT on and off.

Edit: Oh it might be the same as Village:
The ray tracing support (which is optional) is also intriguing. Firstly, there are the ray traced reflections. You'll find reflective materials throughout the game - from shiny floors, to individual objects to the surface of a large lake, all of which receive RT reflections. It's a welcome addition except that actual resolution is very low, perhaps as low as 1/8th of the primary rendering resolution. As a result, while beneficial, it's not a game changer. On the other hand, the inclusion of RT occlusion shadows and lighting is very nice, removing the black outline halos derived from standard screen-space solutions. RT also improves interior spaces with more realistic local bounce lighting - it can appear subtle at first glance, but it's definitely effective.

I didn't play much in RT mode in RE2 though, prefer the other modes.

Last edited:

MikeM

The new PC version of RE3 is the first game ever that managed to make my 3080 run out of VRAM and crash. Had to dial back some settings even at 1440p (High-3GB, High Shadows).

This makes me wonder how optimized is the RT here, and how much you can miss DLSS when it is not included in a RT game. Also, the visual payout is not justifying the VRAM cost
How short are you on vram? Does it say?

RobRSG

How short are you on vram? Does it say?
The game crashes as it tries to exceed the 10GB consistently leading to a dx12 error.

A lot of people are having the same behavior with RTX cards on Steam.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So HDR effects screenshots 🤔
Didn't know that
qdZZZfI.jpg
Wzf91pL.jpg
rPU5buY.jpg
Q8gChQw.jpg
QB22xlg.jpg
PcVc4Fl.jpg
QEDwXDZ.jpg
Looks very dark but that must be screenshot conversion ?
I am running hdr, hgig on my tv and then 6th notch from the beginning on max brightness and just default middle on 2nd screen since it really just seems like brightness to me and toning it down can make some areas too dark for me.
TBH, putting first calibration screen to max makes no difference. But lowest look worse than 6th notch and up. Lowest crushes highlights.
But the 2nd slider is more like a personal preference for overall brightness. The typical one used in games.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Looks very dark but that must be screenshot conversion ?
I am running hdr, hgig on my tv and then 6th notch from the beginning on max brightness and just default middle on 2nd screen since it really just seems like brightness to me and toning it down can make some areas too dark for me.
TBH, putting first calibration screen to max makes no difference. But lowest look worse than 6th notch and up. Lowest crushes highlights.
But the 2nd slider is more like a personal preference for overall brightness. The typical one used in games.
The game really doesn't capture well in the dark it's not as bad on my screen due to my TV settings and it's set up via the brightest calibration so I can see the typewriter of the left faintly
As for HDR this may sound mad
But try max on the first calibration and 4 notches on the second

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The game really doesn't capture well in the dark it's not as bad on my screen due to my TV settings and it's set up via the brightest calibration so I can see the typewriter of the left faintly
As for HDR this may sound mad
But try max on the first calibration and 4 notches on the second

Depends on the TV a lot for sure. As I wrote above but this is opposite what vick says but he plays in sdr. I think hdr presentation is good and the washed out rooms are only in first few parts of the game. But HDR gives for overall nice picture.
here are few pics taken with settings I explain above. As You can see, it's not washed out. Highlights do not come up well on picture but it pops like hdr game should. Of course yes, there are still washed out rooms in hdr even with all lowest brightness settings. It's just how these few areas are.
GiCGHeC.jpg

WYrrnaO.jpg

dr7D7CD.jpg

6ZwZu3q.jpg

zlyC1mb.jpg

oiBWVtX.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TGO

skneogaf

This is by far the best way to calibrate brightness with hdr.

Any other suggestions are just opinions, evil Boris taught Vincent teoh from HDTV everything he knows about hdr in games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is by far the best way to calibrate brightness with hdr.

Any other suggestions are just opinions, evil Boris taught Vincent teoh from HDTV everything he knows about hdr in games.

Watched this. It’s not entirely correct. This is before hgig came to tvs. That’s why he is setting peak brightness to 4k

Last edited:

Stuart360

I dont get these pitch black screens people are posting, i'd hate to play the game like that.
Imo the likes of the Resi 2 remake were already too dark to begin with.

Last edited:

Banned
So how many modes are there? I just want whatever mode gives me solid 60fps.

there are 3 modes. RT OFF 60FPS lock, RT OFF 120FPS lock and RT ON 60FPS lock

if you have a 120hz VRR display the 120FPS lock mode will give you by far the smoothest experience on both consoles.
if you have a VRR display the Xbox SX version is decent with RT on
if you don't have a VRR display or 120hz display I would turn off RT on both consoles. slightly more tolerable on Series X than PS5 but both are bad without VRR

if you have a 120hz VRR display the 120FPS lock mode will give you by far the smoothest experience on both consoles.
if you don't have a VRR display or 120hz display I would turn off RT on both consoles. slightly more tolerable on Series X than PS5 but both are bad without VRR

I'm using a PS5 and LG C1.

Mr Moose

Both modes (RT and whatever the other one is called) set to off gives you the 60fps mode, which seems pretty solid from what I can tell with RE2. RT mode looks nice but doesn't feel as good. The 120Hz mode looks good but it is probably normally in the 100-120fps range, with some dips to 80.

Banned
I'm using a PS5 and LG C1.

well 120hz mode or no rt mode should do the job if you want a smooth experience. 120hz + vrr is really smooth even tho the game only runs at 90 to 100 fps really in any heavy scene

rt mode really would need a 120hz 40fps option or a 30fps lock option as it is currently

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The game crashes as it tries to exceed the 10GB consistently leading to a dx12 error.

A lot of people are having the same behavior with RTX cards on Steam.
Whats the error message? DXGI_Device_Error_removed/hung? Privilge error?

I ran into those error all the time while running the Matrix city demo. drove me nuts.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I dont get these pitch black screens people are posting, i'd hate to play the game like that.
Imo the likes of the Resi 2 remake were already too dark to begin with.

Yeah, TBH I'd have the game be a little brighter than average than be a little darker, lol.

Anyway been playing some RE2 with the RT and it holds up well. It's great that the SSR artifacts are completely eliminated in the prominent locations you would notice them in (RPD main hall) because of that.

If VRR TV, keep RT on
If no VRR TV, keep RT off

Last edited:

bootaski

Tried RE7 on ps5, still no 3d audio with headphones. You can select 3d audio, but the option to use headphones with it is greyed out, you have to use surround option - and can confirm sound is just stereo on headphones this way. This was a bug with the ps4 version, was hoping they would fix it.

DinoD

not on PS5, on PS5 the games can not hold 48fps and above it seems.
so on a VRR TV on PS5 I would either use 120hz mode or no RT mode. on Xbox SX the RT mode + VRR is decent

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Does RT mode also run in pure 4K? If so, why didn't the lower the resolution or used CBR I wonder?

Banned
Sorry if this is a dumb question. Does RT mode also run in pure 4K? If so, why didn't the lower the resolution or used CBR I wonder?

I pixelcounted 2160p, but i noticed CB artifacts in all modes. so they already use checkerboarding it seems.

the extremely post processed final image makes it hard to pixelcount the PS5 version tho.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

RT perfomance is not decent in any console. I don't understand why people you persist to say VRR help more on XSX when technically VRR doesn't fix drops below 50 fps. The only advantage you can have with xsx is tricky 120 hz mode via system level and in that case you play virtually as it was 40 fps but IQ can be extremely blurried if I'm not wrong.

Last edited:

Banned
RT perfomance is not decent in any console. I don't understand why people you persist to say VRR help more on XSX when technically VRR doesn't fix drops below 50 fps.

VRR on Xbox has a range doen to 40hz if your TV can handle it and if you set your system to 120hz it goes down to 20hz/fps

anything above 48fps will feel perfectly smooth and the Series X holds the Framerate above that mostly it seems, at least in RE3, I only looked into 2 a tiny bit so can't be sure there.

so that is totally playable and basically on par with RE8, although RE8 was way more stable in general of course. it could drop down to 48fps and below tho in some instances even on Series X.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
VRR on Xbox has a range doen to 40hz if your TV can handle it and if you set your system to 120hz it goes down to 20hz/fps

anything above 48fps will feel perfectly smooth and the Series X holds the Framerate above that mostly it seems, at least in RE3, I only looked into 2 a tiny bit so can't be sure there.

so that is totally playable and basically on par with RE8, although RE8 was way more stable in general of course. it could drop down to 48fps and below tho in some instances even on Series X.
Yeah but IQ is already too much blurried for many people in RT mode, I don't know if force 120 hz is convenient imo. Anyway RE8 perfomance seems far better with raytracing if I can say. I see a bunch of videos and in the police hall in RE2R I noticed tons of dips even on XSX.

Last edited:

Banned
Yeah but IQ is already too much blurried for many people in RT mode, I don't know if force 120 hz is convenient imo. Anyway RE8 perfomance seems far better with raytracing if I can say. I see a bunch of videos and in the police hall in RE2R I noticed tons of dips even on XSX.

the game runs at 4K CB in RT mode and it seems the same without RT. so not sure why anyone would say it's too blurred?
on PS5 maybe, it seems the TAA on PS5 is softer with less fine detail in the distance (could also be lower resolution maybe, like I said I had a really hard time pixel counting the PS5 version due to the post processing)

it seems tho that there's no dynamic res in place as even as the Framerate is below 60fps the Xbox version is clearly still 2160cb and the PS5 also seems to not change resolution (res changes + checkerboard rendering is pretty noticeable usually)

so I wouldn't say the image is too soft on either system. and due to the heavy post processing many will not notice the lower res in 120hz mode.
I sadly can not reliably pixelcount the 120hz mode on Xbox as for 120hz I have to switch to 1440p and if you do that the system will also take 1440p screenshots which sucks...
but it seems to me to be above 1440p in 120hz mode... not sure tho, it seems to be at least 1440p tho

maybe someone with an HDMi 2.1 TV that supports 4K 120HZ can upload an image from the beginning of RE3 in this exact perspective:
mrKMar8.png

the camera angle is important as I found an edge where it's relatively decently possible to pixelcount the game. so positioning and camera position needs to be on point.
also I use max FOV, that's important too.

I chose a spot here because A: it's at the beginning of the game (2min in) and B: it is a stress test scene where the Xbox goes below 60fps to ~58/59fps and the PS5 being at ~50/51fps, so if a dynamic res is in place it would be in affect here

so I tried to pixelcount this by using the firetruck on the right
and my count comes down to either 2.088p, 1.944p or 2160p
it's really hard to get it down, BUT this tells me this is a 2160p image most likely, at least on Series X, it's way harder to tell on PS5 due to the image looking softer (AA difference). and it most likely uses checkerboarding as well. so 2160cb

it's really hard to tell tho, here's my sample... and I'm not sure how many steps I can actually count here as the post processing just completely fucks you over here lol

top is Xbox, Bottom is PS5
qTgaFSB.png

j4UbpJF.png

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

I've started replaying RE3: Remake on XSX and am really enjoying it. It's quite a while since I last played it so I honestly cant speak on how much or how little the update has improved it but to my eyes the game looks and plays great (Raytracing is activated in the game settings).

The extra unlockables you can activate for a second playthrough are decent too (I've got Jill back in her STARS uniform and health regen so I dont have to worry too much about herbs taking up precious inventory slots).

Anyone else jumped back in on RE3?

Last edited:

MikeM

I've started replaying RE3: Remake on XSX and am really enjoying it. It's quite a while since I last played it so I honestly cant speak on how much or how little the update has improved it but to my eyes the game looks and plays great (Raytracing is activated in the game settings).

The extra unlockables you can activate for a second playthrough are decent too (I've got Jill back in her STARS uniform and health regen so I dont have to worry too much about herbs taking up precious inventory slots).

Anyone else jumped back in on RE3?
I will be. RE2 first tho on PS5.

assurdum

Banned
the game runs at 4K CB in RT mode and it seems the same without RT. so not sure why anyone would say it's too blurred?
on PS5 maybe, it seems the TAA on PS5 is softer with less fine detail in the distance (could also be lower resolution maybe, like I said I had a really hard time pixel counting the PS5 version due to the post processing)

it seems tho that there's no dynamic res in place as even as the Framerate is below 60fps the Xbox version is clearly still 2160cb and the PS5 also seems to not change resolution (res changes + checkerboard rendering is pretty noticeable usually)

so I wouldn't say the image is too soft on either system. and due to the heavy post processing many will not notice the lower res in 120hz mode.
I sadly can not reliably pixelcount the 120hz mode on Xbox as for 120hz I have to switch to 1440p and if you do that the system will also take 1440p screenshots which sucks...
but it seems to me to be above 1440p in 120hz mode... not sure tho, it seems to be at least 1440p tho

maybe someone with an HDMi 2.1 TV that supports 4K 120HZ can upload an image from the beginning of RE3 in this exact perspective:
mrKMar8.png

the camera angle is important as I found an edge where it's relatively decently possible to pixelcount the game. so positioning and camera position needs to be on point.
also I use max FOV, that's important too.

I chose a spot here because A: it's at the beginning of the game (2min in) and B: it is a stress test scene where the Xbox goes below 60fps to ~58/59fps and the PS5 being at ~50/51fps, so if a dynamic res is in place it would be in affect here
120hz forced soft the image I already heard complain about the softness of the IQ in RT mode in different forum. If for you IQ is still fine good for you, but forcing 120hz mode is not without compromises even John DF mention it. About your pixels counts there is something wrong imo, fps waving more on ps5, seems weird it runs worse at lower resolution. Highly probable this game run at 2160p via interlaced signal as RE8 on both console.

Last edited:

Banned
120hz forced soft the image I already heard complain about the softness of the IQ in RT mode in different forum. If for you IQ is still fine good for you, but forcing 120hz mode is not without compromises even John DF mentioned it. Your pixels counts seems wrong to me. Highly probable this game run at 2160p via interlaced signal as RE8 on both console.

but my pixel count came out as 2160p. I had 3 possible results and 2160p seemed to me to be the most probable one as the other 2 would be weird/unusual resolutions.

and that's what I said, 2160p witch checkerboard rendering.
I was simply less sure on PS5 as the PS5 version has a way blurrier image, most likely due to the TAA being either of lower quality or simply being set to a lower sharpening value.

and 120hz doesn't soften the image. what you are referring to is running a 60fps game at 120hz, which means every frame gets doubled. and that introduces persistence blur that is worse than running the game at its native refresh.

when you play these games at 120hz with vrr you are not getting duplicate frames and therefore no additional persistence blur.

assurdum

Banned
but my pixel count came out as 2160p. I had 3 possible results and 2160p seemed to me to be the most probable one as the other 2 would be weird/unusual resolutions.

and that's what I said, 2160p witch checkerboard rendering.
I was simply less sure on PS5 as the PS5 version has a way blurrier image, most likely due to the TAA being either of lower quality or simply being set to a lower sharpening value.

and 120hz doesn't soften the image. what you are referring to is running a 60fps game at 120hz, which means every frame gets doubled. and that introduces persistence blur that is worse than running the game at its native refresh.

when you play these games at 120hz with vrr you are not getting duplicate frames and therefore no additional persistence blur.
Persistence blur not given exactly a sharp IQ. RE engine version uses the interlaced signal at 2160 in RE8 which is similar to CBR, in raytracing mode. Doubt XSX has any tech difference in res compared ps5 knowing capcom. Also you use a perpendicular line which is wrong from my knowledge. You have to use a simmetric line to the screen to find the native pixels.

Last edited:

Banned
Persistence blur not given exactly a sharp IQ. RE engine version uses the interlaced signal at 2160 in RE8 which is similar to CBR, in raytracing mode. Doubt XSX has any tech difference in res compared ps5 knowing capcom. Also you use a perpendicular line which is wrong from my knowledge. You have to use a simmetric line to the screen to find the native pixels.

... it's not interlaced it's checkerboarding, Capcom simply calls it interlaced on PC.
interlacing would have different looking artifacts. it's clearly CBR

also, no, my method of pixelcounting is correct, it's simply very damn hard to find clean edges.

what the hell you mean by "simmetric line to the screen" I don't know. because that makes no sense
🤨❓❓❓

given how you form sentences I assume your English isn't that great, so maybe you don't understand what I'm saying... there is no blurring in 120hz mode! the opposite is the case, the pixels respond faster due to the higher refresh.
you completely misunderstood what John from Digital Foundry said. what he was talking about is a completely different scenario

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
... it's not interlaced it's checkerboarding, Capcom simply calls it interlaced on PC.
interlacing would have different looking artifacts. it's clearly CBR

also, no, my method of pixelcounting is correct, it's simply very damn hard to find clean edges.

what the hell you mean by "simmetric line to the screen" I don't know. because that makes no sense
🤨❓❓❓

given how you form sentences I assume your English isn't that great, so maybe you don't understand what I'm saying... there is no blurring in 120hz mode! the opposite is the case, the pixels respond faster due to the higher refresh.
you completely misunderstood what John from Digital Foundry said. what he was talking about is a completely different scenario
An oblique figure to the screen doesn't give a proper pixels count. Why capcom should name interlaced something is not. NXG name it in the same way in his analysis of RE8. I don't know how you prefer define persistence blur with forced 120hz but in motion is not razor sharp.

Last edited:
so I tried to pixelcount this by using the firetruck on the right
and my count comes down to either 2.088p, 1.944p or 2160p
it's really hard to get it down, BUT this tells me this is a 2160p image most likely, at least on Series X, it's way harder to tell on PS5 due to the image looking softer (AA difference). and it most likely uses checkerboarding as well. so 2160cb

it's really hard to tell tho, here's my sample... and I'm not sure how many steps I can actually count here as the post processing just completely fucks you over here lol

top is Xbox, Bottom is PS5
qTgaFSB.png

j4UbpJF.png

again, PS5 ran at 51FPS and Series X at 58fps in this exact screenshot. maybe a lower framerate could also explain why the PS5 looks softer, but I'm not sure. maybe there's a dynamic res in place here

OZ8MYIx.png

KIsR2XF.png
PS5 reconstruction is much cleaner than on Xbox. In the first picture we can clearly see see CBR artefacts (on vertical lines, door and windows) on Xbox and not on PS5. In all pictures aliasing is much more noticeable on Xbox. They probably are using quite different methods here.

Shmunter

PS5 reconstruction is much cleaner than on Xbox. In the first picture we can clearly see see CBR artefacts (on vertical lines, door and windows) on Xbox and not on PS5. In all pictures aliasing is much more noticeable on Xbox. They probably are using quite different methods here.
Your right, easy to spot on highlights. PS5 not jagged vs obvious jaggies on XsX.

Looking forward to DF completely missing it. NXGamer NXGamer do your thing.

NickFire

I see you can’t upgrade the PS5 collection version of RE7 🙄
Nope. I’ve checked a few times hoping it was a gradual rollout. Based on FF7 it will probably be upgradable in about six months if I remember correctly And the time frame is static.

This annoys the heck out of me.

Top Bottom