• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

--PS5 reportedly struggling with Resident Evil 8: can barely run it at 1080p/60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Lots of salty boys here hungry for payback.

That whole Craig thing hurt you guys a lot, huh.

Friendly reminder:

Resident Evil 3 ran like crap on X-Box One X, despite being in development for a long time - and lo and behold, Capcom patched the game to run smoothly on the X1X AFTER ITS RELEASE. Which means that X1X was capable of running the game at 60fps, despite people quickly assuming otherwise.

Which means that RE8 running like shit a few months ago on the PS5 means (other than the fact it needs optimization on Capcom's part) jack shit.
yep that xbox event made xbox fanboys crazy lol

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Friendly reminder:

Resident Evil 3 ran like crap on X-Box One X, despite being in development for a long time - and lo and behold, Capcom patched the game to run smoothly on the X1X AFTER ITS RELEASE. Which means that X1X was capable of running the game at 60fps, despite people quickly assuming otherwise.

Which means that RE8 running like shit a few months ago on the PS5 means (other than the fact it needs optimization on Capcom's part) jack shit.

They dropped the resolution of the XB1X version. That was the "patch".

I 100% believe this news. I distinctly remember it running awfully during the PS5's showcase. You could practically count the number of frames on one hand. If it was at 4K/15 then 1080p/60 would also cause problems.

Thing is, there is no need to fuel any fire because the game will NOT release in this state. No need to come and white-knight the PS5 either. More than likely, it'll be fine when it releases as it's still at least 6 months away.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Running at sub-30fps.

That was alpha code running on a PS5 kit. The PS5 isn't even released yet, we have no idea when RE VIII is going to be released (2021. 2022?). What's the point of posting completely unverifiable rumors that are indistinguishable from "tales from my ass".

Nickolaidas

They dropped the resolution of the XB1X version. That was the "patch".
A lazy patch, but a patch nonetheless.

Also, I find it mind-boggling that people still think that Dusk Golem is a tales-out-of-my-ass kind of insider, when he was spot-on about Sekiro, the RE2 reveal, RE8 info and Ono stepping down from Street Fighter VI. The guy's legit. Deal with it.

If he says that RE8 ran like shit on the PS5 a few months ago, I BELIEVE HIM. That doesn't mean that RE8 won't be optimized to run 100% smoothly on the PS5 by the time it's to be released.

Last edited:
That was alpha code running on a PS5 kit. The PS5 isn't even released yet, we have no idea when RE VIII is going to be released (2021. 2022?). What's the point of posting completely unverifiable rumors that are indistinguishable from "tales from my ass".
That literally proves his damn point. We saw the game running at awful frame rates at 4K so how is it hard to believe it also struggles to reach 60fps at 1080p? If anything the showcase corroborates what this guy is saying so don't start playing the defender.

It'll be fine on release.

Katajx

Gold Member
It says coming 2021 at the end of the trailer. Where do people get that it is years off?
Capcom has been much better about not showing games not more than a year from release lately.

bender

What time is it?
giphy.gif

Let's fight about an unreleased game on an unreleased platform.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I played on pro and can confirm it did not look like crap, maybe your talking about the xbox one s version where every version off every game on that console looks like crap and I own one.

Maybe you're easily pleased as long as it's on a PlayStation.

This resolution puts the game in a weird place because it doesn’t just work that well with the post-processing effects like the anti-aliasing used by Rockstar Games. It adds an additional blur to the game which doesn’t give a great first impression. Compared to the PS4 Pro, the Xbox One X renders it at native 4K, even if it uses the same reconstruction technique like the PS4 Pro, but the end result is a great degree sharper and thus better-detailed image quality. Although, even that doesn’t save the Xbox One X version from a terrible HDR implementation, which suffers from the same faults as the PS4 Pro version.

SaucyJack

what did they say to him

Thanatos said:

"So you went from saying multiple devs and multiple games to really talking about one game? And what you really meant was that porting the game to the Xbox dev kit was easier than the PS5 dev kit, which happens all the time in game development? (Porting to one dev kit, let's say the Switch in my example, can be easy but the other consoles need more work - this happens all the time).

I'm not trying to call you out here but your statements were pretty definitive and broad and ever since making them you have been backtracking. Games running worse on one platform than another when they are first being ported happens all the time and not noting that when saying what you've been saying is only telling half-truths, and you should absolutely be called out on that. Especially since optimization and frame rate tend to be some of the last things locked down for games.

I've worked on AAA games where one version doesn't even boot past the title screen for a month or the game runs at 5 fps and all of that that was a perfectly normal part of the dev process since sometimes shit doesn't work properly until the proper code is built to support it.

That's not to say that the game won't run better on Series X when it releases, it very well could (will likely run at higher resolution at the very least) but come on man - what you said at first and what you just said now clearly don't match up with each other."

Calverz

Friendly reminder:

Reads like damage control and a lot of assumptions! Cant wait for the digital foundry head to heads this gen!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Hilarious and apparently Sony has the marketing on this game. Reminds me of RDR2, Sony had the marketing, but it looked like crap on the Pro but was absolutely gorgeous in native 4K on the X.
It did not look like crap, it did run like crap but that is just how modern rockstar games control though.

Man, I guess we'll have to play at 480p because my PS5 surely won't be able to handle the RE engine from last generation....

Can we please stop grasping at straws? The Series X and PS5 will be plenty powerful to run next gen games. It will all come down to talented development vs. rushed/less talented development.

Gamers know the Series X can do way better than the visuals in Halo Infinite and that is why it gets pooped on. We need these consoles to be released already so the lies and rumor mills may seize.

Yumi

He says in the post it will likely get resolved. I think the point is more that it's a interesting snag. Not that the ps5 isn't powerful enough to run it, just that there's something that needs to be tweaked.l that they cant find.

Meanwhile I know for a fact that __________ _ is running at 4K/120 on an early build on both systems without a problem.

So yeah I call it bullshit.

Thanatos said:

"So you went from saying multiple devs and multiple games to really talking about one game? And what you really meant was that porting the game to the Xbox dev kit was easier than the PS5 dev kit, which happens all the time in game development? (Porting to one dev kit, let's say the Switch in my example, can be easy but the other consoles need more work - this happens all the time).

I'm not trying to call you out here but your statements were pretty definitive and broad and ever since making them you have been backtracking. Games running worse on one platform than another when they are first being ported happens all the time and not noting that when saying what you've been saying is only telling half-truths, and you should absolutely be called out on that. Especially since optimization and frame rate tend to be some of the last things locked down for games.

I've worked on AAA games where one version doesn't even boot past the title screen for a month or the game runs at 5 fps and all of that that was a perfectly normal part of the dev process since sometimes shit doesn't work properly until the proper code is built to support it.

That's not to say that the game won't run better on Series X when it releases, it very well could (will likely run at higher resolution at the very least) but come on man - what you said at first and what you just said now clearly don't match up with each other."
so the dude is full of shit then
i just went to xbox seris x sub on reddit and even there people are calling him out lol
what makes me sad now is the silent hill remake rumors are fake cuz this guy is joke

Neff

It says coming 2021 at the end of the trailer. Where do people get that it is years off?
Capcom has been much better about not showing games not more than a year from release lately.

Yep. It's happened numerous times with RE now.

RE7 revealed mid-2016, released Q1 2017
RE2make revealed mid-2018, released Q1 2019
R3make revealed late 2019, released Q2 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom