• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 price to increase in select markets

No you're right, consumers everywhere should be rejoicing. When papa Sony demands more money, you give it to him no questions asked.
Give It To Me Want GIF by Mashed

GHG

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Already explained it, the same way people noted that Sony Electronics was being billed the cost for PS HW back in the day. Xbox division is not spending $100 Billion or so (in that range) out of its division profits is it? Sony SIE division is profitable, if it is profitable enough to amass wealth/cash in their warchest and to keep expanding (buying developers, creating real game services, propping up/investing in PS+, etc…) while making investors happy is another matter, do not be glib :).

again the PS part of the company is making billions in profit and you are wanting them to increase profits by making the consumer pay more as you said in an earlier post. Sony also makes money in other divisions like Microsoft do. your blaming Microsoft for having more money on Sony putting the prices up lol proper hysterical that

Banjo64

cumsessed
Get over yourself mate, I am not crying for them, but mobile+TV+radio do not seem that great at margins (not mega loss leader anymore a but still). Consumers can reject them and punish them for this, but just corporate greed? I do not think they are that deluded to think that a first ever console price increase 2 years in the generation would go unnoticed or well accepted 😂.

If they are so anti consumer because they are not bleeding red in all their other divisions and are not poor, what is your expectations on console and game pricing of maybe say $ Trillion level corporations with mega profit margins on cloud and office SaaS offerings, etc…? Right righ “that is different” 😂.
Ah the de facto ‘no u the MS shill’ response whilst defending a mega corp. Gotta love it.

Cyborg

Where did you read that? or did you say that to defend Sony?
Why would I defend Sony? It's common sense as you look at what is happening in the world. Everything is becoming more and more expensive and it's only logical for MS and Nintendo to follow now that the market leader has gone first.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
again the PS part of the company is making billions in profit and you are wanting them to increase profits by making the consumer pay more as you said in an earlier post. Sony also makes money in other divisions like Microsoft do. your blaming Microsoft for having more money on Sony putting the prices up lol proper hysterical that

I am not blaming MS for having money, having money is not a crime :).

I am saying that if you have only your profits to invest (mostly, not only that they are not that small of a company) vs a company where the bulk of the money spent was made in other business divisions You look at things differently.
Are you saying that they bought Activision-Blizzard + Bethesda/Zenimax with Xbox Games Studio/Xbox HW profits? Come on…

1800 people being layed off in one go (with a further 200 since then) isn't a mass layoff? Imagine sitting in a room of 2000 people who have all been fired and then saying "guys, this isn't a mass layoff, love Microsoft".

What are you smoking?
Imagine bringing up a 1% workforce reduction by Microsoft in a thread that deals with Sony hiking PS5 prices in many overseas markets. Whatever I'm smoking, it's not as strong as what's in your lungs champ.

Pelta88

yeah especially when they post how much profits they make from gaming

This thread is hilarious. A thread where those desperate to paint Sony as anti consumer, coupled with a lack of understanding of basic economics meet for some hilarious analytical takes.

Suddenly, our economic structure is null and invalid because the PS5 price rose slightly? Don't mind me though, my stomach is cramped from laughing to hard. For the record, rising prices the global economic downturn sucks. Period. What's making me chuckle is the contortion and backflips some are doing to fit a narrative.

But again, don't mind me.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I am not blaming MS for having money, having money is not a crime :).

I am saying that if you have only your profits to invest (mostly, not only that they are not that small of a company) vs a company where the bulk of the money spent was made in other business divisions You look at things differently.
Are you saying that they bought Activision-Blizzard + Bethesda/Zenimax with Xbox Games Studio/Xbox HW profits? Come on…

again Sony have other business which make profit to, this is about as anti consumer as you can get. the fact the US Microsoft has a good margin and they haven't put the proice up there is laughable

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ah the de facto ‘no u the MS shill’ response whilst defending a mega corp. Gotta love it.
I am glad you love it instead of actually answering to the points made. Btw, I did not call you a shill. I just asked how you felt about that as it sounds a hypocritical stance. You react by taking it as if I called you a shill, 🤷‍♂️.

JackMcGunns

Why would I defend Sony? It's common sense as you look at what is happening in the world. Everything is becoming more and more expensive and it's only logical for MS and Nintendo to follow now that the market leader has gone first.

I doubt it. This is unprecedented.

This is basically telling you that Sony failed to downsize the SOC to 5nm or lower and cost reduce the PS5. The £70 game prices are no longer regarded as sufficient to hold the prices. So whom at Sony failed here whom will lose their job?
If we don't hear soon from a 5nm or at least 6nm iteration I guess 4 or 3nm will be the goal, which is probably necessary for a true Slim and enable a Pro and that will be a while until it arrives.

I'd say a PS4 Ultraslim would still be a product that could sell in some markets and a PS5FHD with the same philosophy like the S would have been wise from the start and even now. Not everyone has upgraded to 4k or really needs it, but Sony missed that window of opportunity for years now. The PS4 was near perfect for its time, price and available tech, the PS5 not so much.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
again Sony have other business which make profit to, this is about as anti consumer as you can get. the fact the US Microsoft has a good margin and they haven't put the proice up there is laughable
Oh come on mate, are you seriously comparing the profits generated by the non gaming units of either company?

Btw, I said mostly coming from gaming in Sony’s side where it is mostly coming outside of gaming on MS side (mostly != only). Are you contesting this fact?
Really (with about $80 Billion spent acquiring two publishers in the last 2 years)?

This thread is hilarious. A thread where those desperate to paint Sony as anti consumer, coupled with a lack of understanding of basic economics meet for some hilarious analytical takes.

Suddenly, our economic structure is null and invalid because the PS5 price rose slightly? Don't mind me though, my stomach is cramped from laughing to hard. For the record, rising prices the global economic downturn sucks. Period. What's making me chuckle is the contortion and backflips some are doing to fit a narrative.

Unless Nintendo and Microsoft increase prices for their consoles as well, this is blatantly anti-consumer. When two manufacturers are willing to eat costs and one is not, that means you aren't doing what's in the best interest of your consumers. Get those cramps checked out.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

you mean a thread about a price in crease where Sony had enough cash to buy bungie for 5 billion?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
So why not the United States?

That's because of the strength of the dollar compared to other currencies.

Sony is getting more yens for every dollar they make on the US market. That is why there's no reason for companies outside of the US to raise prices.

SenkiDala

I'm not saying they are. I hope consumers will send clear message.

But who am I kidding, right?
I received 2 PS5 on lauch because I preordered 2 just in case. I was selling it at the purshase price 499€, dozens of guys asked me to sell them, 550, 570, 600, etc, I stopped at 730€ I started to feel awkward, and the guy thanked me again and again for "selling it so cheap compared to the others"... so yeah 549 is ok I guess.

Still a shitty move from Sony, shame on them.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I am glad you love it instead of actually answering to the points made. Btw, I did not call you a shill. I just asked how you felt about that as it sounds a hypocritical stance. You react by taking it as if I called you a shill, 🤷‍♂️.
Ok shall I spell it out for you - this is a Sony thread, not a Microsoft thread. Should MS use the rest of their divisions to subsidise their console costs? Sure, I would fucking love that, those greedy cunts should get on it right away and start paying big money for some actual decent Game Pass games. What else do you want me to say?

And by saying ‘but but that’s different :messenger_tears_of_joy:‘ how else do you want me to interpret that comment apart from you saying that I’d defend MS blindly? Don’t chat shit and then try and backtrack.

GHG

Imagine bringing up a 1% workforce reduction by Microsoft in a thread that deals with Sony hiking PS5 prices in many overseas markets. Whatever I'm smoking, it's not as strong as what's in your lungs champ.

It's a point of reference as to how other companies are dealing with the current situation instead of increasing prices. The fact that you're taking offense to that when it's potentially a net positive for micrisoft/xbox customers is quite telling.

But yes, remove all context and get upset if that's what floats your boat.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Unless Nintendo and Microsoft increase prices for their consoles as well, this is blatantly anti-consumer. When two manufacturers are willing to eat costs and one is not, that means you aren't doing what's in the best interest of your consumers. Get those cramps checked out.
:LOL: we will see what Nintendo does, interested but they have mad profit margins for sure.

Your definition of anti consumerism here is deeply partisan/biased IMHO… on one side very nonchalantly we bring in how much free money one has from Cloud and their office SaaS monopoly and on the other we treat companies the same when thinking about eating costs.

If MS had not stepped up the game so much in terms of Publisher (not just devs) acquisition willing to pour in the almost $100 Billion range I would be more inclined to say that one is being more pro consumer than the other for eating the costs because they are both investing a similar amount of money and expecting similar returns. Today it is clearer that one side is a bit better able to absorb then overall, but hey it does not make this price hike suck any less.

In a way I guess they still got lucky that it is the dollar that is strong and not other currencies. If they had been forced to raise prices in the US, that would have been a serious problem for them as Xbox is strong there.

Pelta88

No you're right, consumers everywhere should be rejoicing. When papa Sony demands more money, you give it to him no questions asked.

The problem with the narrative you're trying to push is that prices have risen, globally. But you're here calling Sony "papa" when someone points that basic point out to you.

You're worried about the extra pennies on PS5. Ok cool. But there are elderly people facing a choice between food and heating here in the UK.

_126407191_energy_price_cap_cornwall_22_08-nc.png

While the energy companies openly celebrate having more money than they know what to do with.
Our government has admitted that many people will die this winter due to complications from not being able to keep themselves warm but here you are going hard at the manufacturer of a luxury item.

Some of you are way too transparent.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
:LOL: we will see what Nintendo does, interested but they have mad profit margins for sure.

Your definition of anti consumerism here is deeply partisan/biased IMHO… on one side very nonchalantly we bring in how much free money one has from Cloud and their office SaaS monopoly and on the other we treat companies the same when thinking about eating costs.

If MS had not stepped up the game so much in terms of Publisher (not just devs) acquisition willing to pour in the almost $100 Billion range I would be more inclined to say that one is being more pro consumer than the other for eating the costs because they are both investing a similar amount of money and expecting similar returns. Today it is clearer that one side is a bit better able to absorb then overall, but hey it does not make this price hike suck any less.

the point you are missing is that Sony's gaming division is in profit by billions, they are making billions and cost rise so lets up the prices to the consumers so we continue to make more billions. anti consumer yes

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ok shall I spell it out for you - this is a Sony thread, not a Microsoft thread. Should MS use the rest of their divisions to subsidise their console costs? Sure, I would fucking love that, those greedy cunts should get on it right away and start paying big money for some actual decent Game Pass games. What else do you want me to say?

And by saying ‘but but that’s different :messenger_tears_of_joy:‘ how else do you want me to interpret that comment apart from you saying that I’d defend MS blindly? Don’t chat shit and then try and backtrack.
I am not backtracking. It is context as to why they are increasing prices and not eating the costs as their competitor. So it is worth pointing it out especially when we are deep in the knee of this anti consumer chat some are dipping in and out as it is convenient.

The fact that in this economy you point out this is a “Sony thread” is hilarious and telling (TMSC article warning customers of 9% cost increases, nope out of it, we need to ignore everything that is not Sony… screw context). In this thread that is context that is relevant in this case.

Mozza

Why would eBay agree with that? What would they possibly gain from that? It's also worth mentioning that eBay represents but a fraction of total console reselling, especially outside of the US.
So where do you get your data about E-bay making only a fraction of sales, but in fairness only mentioned them because they are very prominent, and as for E-bay or anyone else gaining or losing out, surely there is a right and wrong thing to do, in this case they are encouraging scalping.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
the point you are missing is that Sony's gaming division is in profit by billions, they are making billions and cost rise so lets up the prices to the consumers so we continue to make more billions. anti consumer yes
I am not missing it, I am just pointing out why, considering what they need to do and the economy and their structure compared to the competition, they are not eating those costs now. Again, a few years ago I would be more sympathetic to the outrage, after one side starts spending almost $100 Billion out of other division’s dominance to outspend their competitor in gaming I feel different, can keep explaining this all day as it seems ai will have to 😂.

Business

Exchange rate impacting the hardware and not the software tells you how much room Jim gave himself with that 80eur price tag.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I am not backtracking. It is context as to why they are increasing prices and not eating the costs as their competitor. So it is worth pointing it out especially when we are deep in the knee of this anti consumer chat some are dipping in and out as it is convenient.

The fact that in this economy you point out this is a “Sony thread” is hilarious and telling (TMSC article warning customers of 9% cost increases, nope out of it, we need to ignore everything that is not Sony… screw context). In this thread that is context that is relevant in this case.
Since you are obsessed with bringing MS in to this, why are Nintendo keeping prices the same?

9% price increases? I’ve asked this question before, are Sony that concerned about the cost of living crisis that they’ve increased all of their staff’s pay by 9%?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I am not missing it, I am just pointing out why, considering what they need to do and the economy and their structure compared to the competition, they are not eating those costs now. Again, a few years ago I would be more sympathetic to the outrage, after one side starts spending almost $100 Billion out of other division’s dominance to outspend their competitor in gaming I feel different, can keep explaining this all day as it seems ai will have to 😂.

Sony had enough cash to spend 5 billion on bungie but now needs to increase the price of the ps5 as well as the price of their own games at the start of the gen. massively anti consumer

The problem with the narrative you're trying to push is that prices have risen, globally. But you're here calling Sony "papa" when someone points that basic point out to you.

You're worried about the extra pennies on PS5. Ok cool. But there are elderly people facing a choice between food and heating here in the UK.

_126407191_energy_price_cap_cornwall_22_08-nc.png

While the energy companies celebrate having more money than they know what to do with. Our government has admitted that many people will die this winter due to complications from not being able to keep themselves warm but here you are going hard at the manufacturer of a luxury item.

Some of you are way too transparent.
Your argument is: inflation is affecting every industry, especially in Europe, so Sony is justified

My response is: Consumers can give fuck-all if the price hike is justified or not. This is a bad look and will look even worse if Sony's direct competitors, who are also affected by these same global events, do not follow suit with similar price hikes.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Since you are obsessed with bringing MS in to this, why are Nintendo keeping prices the same?
We will see, I think Nintendo has way way way way better margins on HW than their competitors and incredible margins on software which is almost never on sale they pay no royalties on (since it is their own). If they do absorb the costs, I will praise them although again they are investing the least amount of money they can and maximising their profit margins elsewhere for years building up a massive warchest for a relatively small company.

9% price increases? I’ve asked this question before, are Sony that concerned about the cost of living crisis that they’ve increased all of their staff’s pay by 9%?
Price increase? I was referring to a TMSC report on their cost to their semiconductor clients rising, what about cost of life increases? What are you even arguing here?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Your argument is: inflation is affecting every industry, especially in Europe, so Sony is justified

My response is: Consumers can give fuck-all if the price hike is justified or not. This is a bad look and will look even worse if Sony's direct competitors, who are also affected by these same global events, do not follow suit with similar price hikes.
Yes it will look worse an that is why in periods of economic downturn big companies get bigger :).

skit_data

In a way I guess they still got lucky that it is the dollar that is strong and not other currencies. If they had been forced to raise prices in the US, that would have been a serious problem for them as Xbox is strong there.
I dunno, here in Sweden (and probably rest of Europe) it’s always been pretty strong Playstation stronghold but looking at prices now, the PS5 will be around €100 more than the Series X in SEK in stores. For some reason the PS5 was already priced higher than Series X here (maybe because of it’s distributor Nordisk Film). It’s starting to look like a big enough price difference to really change that market share in Xbox favor.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony had enough cash to spend 5 billion on bungie but now needs to increase the price of the ps5 as well as the price of their own games at the start of the gen. massively anti consumer
😂 buying Bungie compared to someone spending cash on a pricey car they do not need and then asking for a raise essentially…

$5 Billion considering Sony (much of that being long term bonuses to help retain staff, actual cost now being less) and keeping the published multiplatform vs $70+ Billion for two publisher from a company that made far far far less profits in gaming… again we are going in circles with you trying to ignore anything that does not say “Sony=evil”… oh well…

Banjo64

cumsessed
We will see, I think Nintendo has way way way way better margins on HW than their competitors and incredible margins on software which is almost never on sale they pay no royalties on (since it is their own). If they do absorb the costs, I will praise them although again they are investing the least amount of money they can and maximising their profit margins elsewhere for years building up a massive warchest for a relatively small company.
That’s a lot of waffle.

Maybe Sony should look at replicating some of Nintendo’s methods instead of spending millions of pounds on artists to design Abbie’s 5 o’clock stubble.

Price increase? I was referring to a TMSC report on their cost to their semiconductor clients rising, what about cost of life increases? What are you even arguing here?
Ok? Do you think that most people know what TMSC stands for? Fucking hell man get a grip of yourself. You can free yourself from Sony’s rectum yet still enjoy their games. It’s not too late.

Riky

$MSFT

Microsoft making a balance sheet transaction for purchases is nothing to do with this, it's a choice to pass increasing costs to the consumer on a very profitable division.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I work in tech. The hiring freeze is real. Unless you're a giga brain or you're applying to a very critical role in the company, you're likely not gonna get hired for anything.
I work in tech too, it sucks… btw, hiring as well but with VISA’s now taking longer and longer and the direction being do not hire outside of the U.K…. Well, not looking good…

Top Bottom