• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 price to increase in select markets

Godot25

Banned
Not to mention I've been told by armchair GAF analysts that Sony usually begins making profit on their console sales within 12 months of launch. Either they were talking out of their behinds or Sony is hurting for money.
That's the funny part. That they were profitable with PS5 (not PS5DE). So instead of sacrificing that profit they are moving price increase to the consumers.
Pathetic

Sony upping the price of their console in many markets around the world just as inflation is taking chunks out of everyone's wallets and they expect consumers to pony up another $500+ for VR hardware early next year :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Disagree No Way GIF by VH1

Louay

Sony upping the price of their console in many markets around the world just as inflation is taking chunks out of everyone's wallets and they expect consumers to pony up another $500+ for VR hardware early next year :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Disagree No Way GIF by VH1
Sony should open it headset to PC, they are delusional limiting VR Market like this. make your stores and games on PC.

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
I heard that they lose so much money on the digital version and i have no problem if they
rise the price for it but why the disk version ? Series X now is cheaper by £30 in UK

I'm guessing everybody forget the fact that PlayStation’s profit dropped 37% last quarter right? Guessing this is their answer.
In a time of a global economic recession?? They lost their fucking minds.
Might as well rebrand that damn thing to Paystation...

This is the moment for MS to drop the price of the Series S/X. If only by 25-50 dollars and steal a big chunk of market share from Sony's greedy mits.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Jesus. That's... a choice.

I guess considering they're still selling out it won't actually make all that much difference to their bottom line.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Holy fuck I actually joked that this could happen and got ripped apart.....

...how the turn tables

So much for them making profit on these consoles. That profit has been getting eaten alive behind the scenes.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
At least the supply issues will effectively vanish now.

I say that's a bad move and is not going to gets sales back to PS4 levels.

Will be interesting to see sales going forward if that rumored xbox price cut is real.
People are willing to pay scalpers.

Given how the average gamer has accepted your games got a 20 usd price increase, 10 percent extra on a console is not something that would bite Sony in the ass. They are the market leader, and will continue to do so.
Price at release was too low anyway. Sony lost a lot of money due to this. The should have released it @600/650$€. Even with this price tag the consoles would have been sold out everywhere.
I'm sure Sony appreciates that you think about the company and not their customers.

not gona defend that price increase, but i think its cause of demand of PS5, here in Finland u cant find PS5 in anywhere except from scalpers and some nut stores for like 900€ :messenger_expressionless:

whereas Series X/S can be found everywhere
I doubt that's the reason, especially since the shortage has been going on for nearly two years and recent reports have been indicating that manufacturing of consoles has increased to meet demand in most markets. This is just Sony being petty and not being willing to temporarily eat some costs and appease their loyal fanbase.

Elios83

That's regrettable but here in Europe the cost of energy has skyrocketed, inflation is really high, euro is losing value and this winter will be tough.
The war that Russia started has fucked up a lot of things and prices are increasing even in bars.
Companies are increasing prices, Amazon Prime went from 36€ to 49€.
Given PS5 sales at scalper prices higher than 700€ the only impact this is going to have is to balance availability in stores a bit.
Sony could have eaten the costs but with profits already decreasing due to other factors they probably decided it was inevitable.

Last edited:
When have you ever seen a sought after product drop in price during a recession?
Did the Xbox 360, PS3, or Nintendo Wii have price increases during the 2008/2009 recession?

Sony is supposedly in a much better financial position now than they were 15 years ago, so why stoop so low and do this now when they didn't do it back then?

Last edited:

Jadsey

Why is the price not going up in the States?

Edit....I see that has already been asked.

Great, the rest of the world is paying for Sony's rising costs.

As someone who thought the PS4 was the greatest console ever made, I literally hate most things about the PS5 at this point in any case.

I guess I am an Xbox gamer now...I should really change my avatar :)

Last edited:

Wohc

Banned
Sony's self-consciousness and belief in customer loyality: Level 1000
Meanwhile Microsoft is selling the Series X refurbished with 2 years warranty for 469,99 Euro and plans to cut the price for the S.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
People are willing to pay scalpers.

Given how the average gamer has accepted your games got a 20 usd price increase, 10 percent extra on a console is not something that would bite Sony in the ass. They are the market leader, and will continue to do so.

Times are changing and a lot of people out there (in europe at least) have much tighter finances now than just six months ago.

Putting blind trust in market leadership is naive.

I make no predictions. I just find it an interesting development.

Top Bottom