• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 price to increase in select markets

Godot25

Banned
Have you seen the value of the Yen?
And why should I care? Sony was selling PS5 at a profit for a little while. So instead of going back to "selling HW at a loss" for a little while they are passing increase on consumer.

Should I applaud them for it?

But. I mean. It's Sony. There will always be people who are willing to defend it. It was same for game prices increase. It is same now.

And why should I care? Sony was selling PS5 at a profit for a little while. So instead of going back to "selling HW at a loss" for a little while they are passing increase on consumer.

But. I mean. It's Sony. There will always be people who are willing to defend it. It was same for game prices increase. It is same now.
I'm not defending them. The financial world this year is fucked compared to the 2007-2008 financial crisis.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I’m guessing this is just the RRP so stores will add their own mark up?

For example, UK the disc version £480. Store mark up will make it £499 or more?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I refuse to believe they were selling the ps5 at a profit. We have one comment where the ceo or whoever said they would be making a profit by June 2021 or whatever then everything went to shit....cost to ship, manufacture everything doubled in price almost overnight.

I personally don't think they were ever really making a profit from the ps5. This compounds that for me.

Won't be surprised if Sony announces within the next 6 months that PlayStation games will be upped in price to $80 to keep up with inflation. Especially if the sheeple continue to defend this price hike.

Gudji

Right before the showcase, they know they can get away with it. Still a bad decision for consumers.

If PS5 is now 550 I can only imagine the PS5 PRO will be priced at around 650 or more, yikes.

T-Cake

Fuck, that seals it. I'm going to grab myself a Series X before that goes up.

Au revoir, Sony. I'm done with your shit.

3iKQUbC.gif

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
I'm not defending them. The financial world this year is fucked compared to the 2007-2008 financial crisis.
If Valve can keep price of Steam Deck, if Nintendo can keep price of Switch and if Microsoft can keep price of Xbox, I see no other reason for Sony to increase their prices as a profit cashing.
So they can get fucked.

Can't wait for Sony to report record profits and people around here celebrating.

It's a awful decision and one that will cost them market share.
Not necessarily. Currently Xbox X starts to be readily available since a few weeks, while S was always on stock since launch, even always on sale at first iirc 5%, for a long time even 10% off. PS5 on the other hand never was on stock anywhere here. Those who were willing to pay scalper prices might now even pay less, since the demand might change and the market for scalping might not be worth the effort anymore. It gets more expensive but here PS5 is more sought after than X or S. Seems like only US and UK are markets were Sony is in a real fight. But as long as supply is still smaller than demand, no stock at all, Sony can't lose anything!
I would have expected that step much earlier, now it actually seems late since there were already some internal hw revisions which should have cut at least some costs. PR wise it is an awful move, right when demand and supply seems to be getting at least closer, whereas earlier it might have been a little more accepted when scalpers asked for almost twice the price.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
I refuse to believe they were selling the ps5 at a profit. We have one comment where the ceo or whoever said they would be making a profit by June 2021 or whatever then everything went to shit....cost to ship, manufacture everything doubled in price almost overnight.

I personally don't think they were ever really making a profit from the ps5. This compounds that for me.
They literally said that they are selling PS5 at a profit. PS5 DE probably not so much.

Mozza

Understandable decision. If your system has been completely sold out for two years and resellers are charging hundreds more, then your product is underpriced and a price increase is logical.
Sorry, but it's nothing to do with Sony what resellers are charging on E-bay, perhaps it would have been better for both Sony and Microsoft to have spoken to the online auction site suggesting they did not allow sales over RRP, just like Amazon did for the both consoles respective launch periods, both companies new about the chip shortages etc.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
There's loads of stock at argos etc in the UK so I'd grab one now if you want one....I wonder if they keep the horizon bundles at 499 because it currently is.

Because they are neck-and-neck with Xbox in US so they can't afford to hike the price
Europe is PlayStation land and people here are willing to put up with Sony's bullshit. Same with other territories.
Yeah. Has nothing to do with the Euro tanking

Can't imagine anyone living in the EU and having to pay bills to be surprised.

Last edited:

Rykan

Sorry, but it's nothing to do with Sony what resellers are charging on E-bay, perhaps it would have been better for both Sony and Microsoft to have spoken to the online auction site suggesting they did not allow sales over RRP, just like Amazon did for the both consoles respective launch periods, both companies new about the chip shortages etc.
Why would eBay agree with that? What would they possibly gain from that? It's also worth mentioning that eBay represents but a fraction of total console reselling, especially outside of the US.

Last edited:

whyman

With the European economy tanking and the Swedish Krona cheaper (euro more expensive) then ever a price hike might actually kill PS5 sales in Sweden.

I have my launch console so whatever but people are being let go, energy prices are higher then ever and it’s getting worse. Again out of touch Sony.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Inflation is soaring here in the UK and it's a competitive market, there is now a £140
/$168 price difference between the Series S and the PS5 DE.
With how finances are being squeezed it could be a very interesting Christmas sales period.

Isnt more like £150 difference? A series S is £239 on Amazon.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Microsoft would now be smart to keep price the same or cut a series S a bit. Sony shooting themselves in the foot here. Utility bills about to sky rocket here in the UK and people not going to have as much money.with most games still being released cross gen I think a lot of people will stick to the PS4 a tiny bit longer

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
these Live services games needs to be funded somehow.
Yeah, they are competing with a strong competitor with nearly unlimited funding and maybe they do not want to bet the entire company farm taking funding from all the subsidiaries to sell at a loss. It totally sucks but if inflation is sparing anyone without unlimited funding (or nearly thanks to other market monopolies) will have to change… :/.

Thanks Riky Riky for the reaction score boost :).

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ps5 hasn't gone up I places like argos yet and there is tons of stock. Its been available pretty ,uch constantly. This may slow down sales even further. Jim Ryan better get more games on PC asap because I can't see how they are going to sell enough copies of God of war etc if this causes sales to slow down.

18 million still happening this year?

Honestly if I was MS and I could afford to shave 20 to 30 off the series s I'd go for it...but I can't see how they can in the current climate.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yeah, they are competing with a strong competitor with nearly unlimited funding and maybe they do not want to bet the entire company farm taking funding from all the subsidiaries to sell at a loss. It totally sucks but if inflation is sparing anyone without unlimited funding (or nearly thanks to other market monopolies) will have to change… :/.

so you are suggesting this is to fund PS+?

Top Bottom